Owner quits midseason

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mnnightowl
Rookie
Rookie

Owner quits midseason

Postby mnnightowl » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:09 pm

All, I'm curious how other dynasty leagues might deal with this situation:

I'm commissioner for a 11 year dynasty league with very capable owners. This week, a member up and quit, disgusted with his team. This team is bad, zero threat to make playoffs. His M.O. for the past couple seasons was to trade draft picks for crusty veterans. Whoever takes over this team will have a huge challenge. My primary question is timing of finding a replacement. I don't like the idea of launching a *capable*/willing replacement owner search in October. I just can't imagine the pool of capable project seekers is deep this time of year. Would others agree it makes sense to manage out the season using CBS Guru to set lineups, and go on a search next offseason? He has only 1 bye need (week 11 TE) that would require free agent help.

Secondary question seeking opinions: As mentioned, this owner was draft pick trade happy and traded away 2012 picks before dumping. I think it will be difficult for this project to appeal to any capable owner with a mere 4th round rookie pick in 2012 to work with. Has anyone had to transition a team this unappealing? Would it be sensible to get league agreement to award 2012 compensatory draft picks to a new owner, to give his something to build upon? Any other proven ways to aid an ailing team without giving too much of a leg up vs. other league teams who are also struggling (to a lesser extent)? My opinion is pretty simple: A dynasty league cannot be strong without good owners, and if this league hopes to get more competitive we need to do something to appeal to a good replacement owner. However, I recognize we can only do so much to undo the harm done to this team.

TIA for any suggestions.

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Re: Owner quits midseason

Postby Water Buffalo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:33 pm

It's an interesting dilemma, and one that's never fun.

It's going to come down to a few factors for me:

1) Is this a free league or not? If this is a pay league, you're in for a world of hurt trying to find an owner willing to take over a terrible team with no draft picks and basically donate to the pool for 3 years before his team is even remotely competitive. If it's a free league, it's a whole different ballgame. There are many people out there, myself included, who would love to take over a terrible team for the pure challenge of trying to make it competitive again. I'm in 2 dynasty leagues already, and I can honestly say that I have just as much fun rebuilding teams as I do crushing people when my team is finally good. It's really just going to come down to finding that right owner who is willing to stick with it for the long haul with the right personality. You'll need to be extremely up front (which you are doing) with exactly what sort of situation this team is in, and make sure the owner is the type of person who won't want to be competitive right off the bat.

2) Depending on the answer to question 1, you've got a couple options. If it's a pay league, you can either a) award compensatory picks or b) allow the person a few years of free play before they donate to the pot. I'm personally of the opinion that I don't like doing the whole compensatory picks stuff, so if I were the commish, I'd chose option b. Adding free picks and such really just hurts the league as a whole, punishes the other owners who really haven't done anything wrong, and throws off the whole spirit of making trades for picks in the first place. By choosing option b, you are essentially just telling the other members of the league what they should already know: It's really only an 11 team league (if it's a 12 team league, 9 if it's 10, etc etc) and they'll be gambling and playing for the money accordingly until it can once again be fair for the new guy. It doesn't in any way hurt the integrity of the league, and the pool of $$ really isn't changed that drastically anyhow.

If it's a free league, you're really free to do what you want. If you feel like giving out compensatory picks, you certainly can. I personally still like the idea of leaving everything as it is and just letting the new owner have a bigger challenge though. Trust me, you CAN find people willing to take over completely garbage teams, especially if there's nothing but fun on the line for the new owner.

Also, I would find a new owner as soon as possible. I absolutely wouldn't wait until the start of next year, that just hurts the new owner even more. They will need as much time as possible to transform the team and that includes playing the waiver wire this year (which they will obviously likely be first on every week).

Hopefully I was useful, and good luck!

P.S. If this happens to be a 12-14 team free league with relatively deep rosters, not-funky scoring, fun active owners, and you don't mind random internet people, shoot me a PM as I might be interested. I was looking for a terrible team to take over before the year began and couldn't find one.

mnnightowl
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mnnightowl » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:54 pm

This is a $30 league, so no huge stakes involved. It is primarily for bragging rights, travel trophy, with a couple good rivalries. I'll PM you for sure.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:09 pm

I would give the replacement owner the option of playing for free next year, and collect money from the other 11 league members & split up the winnings with what you've collected from the 11 owners. If the replacement owner chooses to play for free, then he's not eligible to win $$$, but just let it be his choice.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:28 am

Crappy situation - sorry to hear that.

My two cents:
I'd look for an owner now, but use your CBS Guru approach until you find a solid candidate. If you find someone, great if not so be it. You'll find an owner next off-season. I took on a massive project this year because I wanted the challenge. DLF is a good way to find an owner - hopefully WB takes it on for you.

I don't think you can give compensatory picks to the new owner. It's just not fair to the other 11 teams. Trades were made in good faith and that's part of the deal in dynasty. New NFL coaches/GMs don't get compensatory picks because the prior regime traded picks to get crusty veterans. I'll be Shanny would like some of Washington's picks back!

mnnightowl
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mnnightowl » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:15 am

Thanks also for your responses also tstafford/jordanzs. I like the idea of giving the option to pay and possibly win the pot if stars align, or not. On timing, seems to be a consensus to look immediately, and I'd clearly prefer not leaving the league in limbo long. I was just thinking this season is a wash, and its a long off season. Seems like someone might be more willing to suffer for 6 months with a light at the end of the tunnel vs. 18 months. Personally I'd want to stamp my identity on a team asap. I do like the caliber of owners I see in this DLF forum... is there a 'looking for leagues' board and I missed it? I visited some of the 'looking' boards elsewhere (huddle/FBG) and saw a lot of cobwebs and tumbleweeds.

jthirteentimes
Captain
Captain

Postby jthirteentimes » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:28 am

mnnightowl wrote:Thanks also for your responses also tstafford/jordanzs. I like the idea of giving the option to pay and possibly win the pot if stars align, or not. On timing, seems to be a consensus to look immediately, and I'd clearly prefer not leaving the league in limbo long. I was just thinking this season is a wash, and its a long off season. Seems like someone might be more willing to suffer for 6 months with a light at the end of the tunnel vs. 18 months. Personally I'd want to stamp my identity on a team asap. I do like the caliber of owners I see in this DLF forum... is there a 'looking for leagues' board and I missed it? I visited some of the 'looking' boards elsewhere (huddle/FBG) and saw a lot of cobwebs and tumbleweeds.
Check out the "Help Wanted" forum right here: http://www.dynastyleaguefootball.com/dl ... m.php?f=10

Best of luck!

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:08 am

tstafford wrote:Crappy situation - sorry to hear that.

My two cents:
I'd look for an owner now, but use your CBS Guru approach until you find a solid candidate. If you find someone, great if not so be it. You'll find an owner next off-season. I took on a massive project this year because I wanted the challenge. DLF is a good way to find an owner - hopefully WB takes it on for you.

I don't think you can give compensatory picks to the new owner. It's just not fair to the other 11 teams. Trades were made in good faith and that's part of the deal in dynasty. New NFL coaches/GMs don't get compensatory picks because the prior regime traded picks to get crusty veterans. I'll be Shanny would like some of Washington's picks back!
As usual :wink: I agree with TStafford on this...especially the compensatory picks...it is what it is and I would try to find a good candidate to fill the spot! We have plenty in here...I would press a new owner on his dedication and long term committment - even though we all know the Dynasty format and Rules etc...seems to be a lot of quitters in these leagues and that simply should not be the case!
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

MikeCross
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby MikeCross » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:53 am

This is what happens in dynastys without educated, great GMs. Trade Rape dosnt kill leagues, bad owners do. (Is it the Gun, or the idiot behind the trigger?)
"Ize jus bein rebellion... inda scrip cluh"
Adam "PacMan" Jones

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:13 pm

When choosing this replacement owner make sure that they are full aware that it may take 2-3 years for their team to be competitive, if they make the right moves. With the team in my Sig, I knew it was going to be a long term project and I was more then willing to take the challenge. I think compared to how my team looked before the start of this season I have done a great job at building for the future and I am very excited to see how all of my guys pan out. Long story short, there are guys out there that will take over a team that is in poor shape, even if they have to pay. Good luck on finding the right owner.
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2(4), WR 3(5), TE 1(3)

QB - Kyler Murray, Derek Carr, Kenny Pickett
RB - Christian McCaffrey, Bijan Robinson, Kyren Williams, Travis Etienne, James Conner, Antonio Gibson, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Michael Pittman, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Jerry Jeudy, Rashod Bateman
TE - Sam Laporta, Kyle Pitts, Darren Waller, Isaiah Likely
Picks - 2.10, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10

mnnightowl
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mnnightowl » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:05 pm

Thanks to all. Very insightful, more than I hoped for. I have posted the opening in the Help forum as suggested. Not sure how I missed that forum. I just want to make sure I do this right, as I'm so happy with the remaining owners and want to make sure I do not rush into something that will lead to more problems down the road. Again, very appreciative.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:03 pm

mnnightowl wrote:This is a $30 league, so no huge stakes involved. It is primarily for bragging rights, travel trophy, with a couple good rivalries. I'll PM you for sure.
New rule idea (I use it in my local dynasties) - if you trade a future draft pick, you pay in advance for that season. This way, when an owner quits midseason and he's already made future draft pick trades and paid his $30 ( a prerequisite to me, the commish, approving the trade), then the replacement owner plays for free, unless the old owner is able to get any money from the new guy on his own.

I would find a new owner as soon as possible. The fun factor and playing vs real people is very important to me.

Don't give the new owner any supplemental picks or anything - if it's not already an established rule in your league, you can't just do that - If you've found a good replacement owner, he won't need them.

-oo-

FantasyBandit
Role Player
Role Player

Postby FantasyBandit » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:57 am

meineymoe wrote:
mnnightowl wrote:This is a $30 league, so no huge stakes involved. It is primarily for bragging rights, travel trophy, with a couple good rivalries. I'll PM you for sure.
New rule idea (I use it in my local dynasties) - if you trade a future draft pick, you pay in advance for that season. This way, when an owner quits midseason and he's already made future draft pick trades and paid his $30 ( a prerequisite to me, the commish, approving the trade), then the replacement owner plays for free, unless the old owner is able to get any money from the new guy on his own.

I would find a new owner as soon as possible. The fun factor and playing vs real people is very important to me.

Don't give the new owner any supplemental picks or anything - if it's not already an established rule in your league, you can't just do that - If you've found a good replacement owner, he won't need them.

-oo-
This is how it works in all of my leagues to.

Imo in a money league this is the ONLY way to go. If you want to trade things that are for the following season then you will pay for the following season. Simple as that.

I have yet to find a dynasty that doesn't run this way and frankly I wouldn't want to. The rule protects the commish from problems like this and saves you the headache.

Try to incorporate a rule like this ASAP so this doesn't happen to you again.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:31 am

Yep... any money league I'm involved with requires teams to pre-pay for the next season (non-refundable of course) when trading future picks.

MMS
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby MMS » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:26 pm

Paying up front is the only way to go... in fact we take it a step further. Everyone pays for half of the following year ($25), if they trade a future pick, they owe for the entire year. We were losing multiple owners every year until we implemented this. Since then we haven't lost one.

As for not giving the new owner any incentive, I don't agree. New leagues form every year. Why would an owner take on a bad team when he could draft his own and be competitive right away? I know I wouldn't take on a bad team in a money league. If the team is that bad, maybe an extra draft pick at the end of each round would get you a good owner. There are other ideas out there also. At a time like this all the owners in the league need to think about what's best for the entire league, not just what's best for themselves.