Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Collusion or not

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:33 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:28 am
The Godwin Complex wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:10 am
ThunderTung wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:08 am

disagree. This would never be allowed in any real sports league. While I try to avoid comparing fantasy to real football, when it comes to things like league integrity, taking advantage of rules and colluding affects both leagues the same
I think you need to look up the definition of collusion...

“secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others.”

Considering the circumstances, How is this cheating?
I mean they did secretly cooperate to cheat others lol
Secret = their trade negotiations | cheat others = the rest of the league who wasn't renting players | illegal = as stated in the bylaws

They agreed upon a trade that would (might) buy them a win, not a trade for betterment of their teams. Evidenced by the fact that they traded the players back. Sure, we can recognize that one player was different. But I think most of us are smart enough to see what was being done here. To me, it's just a thinly veiled attempt at renting players and thus - collusion

I agree with others who said it's unlikely anything can be done since a rule wasn't technically broken; but it's still sketchy, damages league integrity, and I would expect better from my commish lol
Aren't all trade negotiations secret? How can you prove these weren't 2 separately negotiated trades? A win for each team sounds like the betterment of each team to me as well...

Silver&Black
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Silver&Black » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:36 am

Rough part is that I LOVE the roster/scoring setup of this league, but this is just the last of a few things that have seemed a bit shady to me. It's hard to feel like the league is playing fairly when things like this happen. Maybe it wasn't collusion, but it certainly feels like it to me.

I'll be maintaining my team for the rest of the season so that at least everyone gets to play my team equally (which may matter), but at the end of the season I'm moving on to find a league that seems to be more fair.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:38 am

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:33 am
The Godwin Complex wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:10 am

I think you need to look up the definition of collusion...

“secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others.”

Considering the circumstances, How is this cheating?
Secret = their trade negotiations | cheat others = the rest of the league who wasn't renting players | illegal = as stated in the bylaws

They agreed upon a trade that would (might) buy them a win, not a trade for betterment of their teams. Evidenced by the fact that they traded the players back. Sure, we can recognize that one player was different. But I think most of us are smart enough to see what was being done here. To me, it's just a thinly veiled attempt at renting players and thus - collusion

I agree with others who said it's unlikely anything can be done since a rule wasn't technically broken; but it's still sketchy, damages league integrity, and I would expect better from my commish lol
Aren't all trade negotiations secret? How can you prove these weren't 2 separately negotiated trades?
lol yes they are.

I was being somewhat facetious as I don't think we should be looking to the technical definition of the word collusion in order to determine whether something sketchy was done here. It's more of a 'know it when you see it' kind of thing in most cases, which is why OP is asking for opinions

You can't prove it, which is why it's unlikely anything can be done. But I would certainly feel weird about my commish making such deals after publicly stating that anyone cheating will be removed

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:42 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:38 am
Jigga94 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:33 am

Aren't all trade negotiations secret? How can you prove these weren't 2 separately negotiated trades?
lol yes they are.

I was being somewhat facetious as I don't think we should be looking to the technical definition of the word collusion in order to determine whether something sketchy was done here. It's more of a 'know it when you see it' kind of thing in most cases, which is why OP is asking for opinions

You can't prove it, which is why it's unlikely anything can be done. But I would certainly feel weird about my commish making such deals after publicly stating that anyone cheating will be removed
Right, just saying these are 3 players that are all outside of top 100 in ADP (probably even 200? Lol) so does it matter? I hate renting players and one of my leagues have rules in place so you can't trade players back, but this isn't Mahomes for CMC and then Cook back for Mahomes... That's renting players. Or giving a team a player for a playoff run and then getting them back after the season for similar compensation.

If trade 1 is Logan Thomas for J. Williams and then trade 2 is the next week and it's Boston Scott for Jarwin... Then it's basically the same thing but with different players and no one bats an eye. The owners probably should've done this, but renting Jamaal Williams? Lol cmon

Silver&Black
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Silver&Black » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:47 am

Renting Jamaal Williams matters when Team A would score 0 points and have no RB if they don't trade to get him. If they don't trade to get him, it is VERY possible that the team they are playing beats them and takes over control of first place (which matters for playoff seeding).

Same thing for Team B, where the team it was facing has an almost identical points averaged per game and not getting any points for one position can mean a loss.

This is a 32 team, IDP league where finding players can be very thin.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:51 am

Silver&Black wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:47 am Renting Jamaal Williams matters when Team A would score 0 points and have no RB if they don't trade to get him. If they don't trade to get him, it is VERY possible that the team they are playing beats them and takes over control of first place (which matters for playoff seeding).

Same thing for Team B, where the team it was facing has an almost identical points averaged per game and not getting any points for one position can mean a loss.

Ok so what's the big deal? Both teams helped the other out. That's what trades are supposed to do, long term or short. How do you know the 2nd trade Jamaal Williams back wasn't a separately talked about trade? Do you have rules that prevent trading players back to the same team? If you don't have rules, or can't prove that it was a set-up rental situation then I don't think there's anythig you can do.

What else is Team A supposed to do? Sit there and not trade for a RB? What if after the week he says hmm I'd rather get a TE back now that I don't need Williams, would you like J Will back for Jarwin? Deal. It's team management

Silver&Black
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Silver&Black » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:58 am

I'm 100% sure there is nothing that I can do about the situation. That is why I am leaving the league at season's end after carefully reading every response here as well taking into account my own gut feelings on the matter. It ruins the integrity of the league and eliminates fair competition. It is not the first event that has seemed shady.

While the players are minor in terms of normal fantasy football, the implications are much bigger when the majority of the league has to fight through bye weeks with rosters spread thin from being a single player, 32 team league.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:02 pm

Fantasy football is supposed to be fun. If you think the league isn't playing fairly and it takes away from the game you have every right to leave the league. I respect that decision.

If it's a paid league, I would do everything you could to win this year, even if it meant selling future talent

thunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby thunderTung » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:14 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:51 am
Silver&Black wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:47 am Renting Jamaal Williams matters when Team A would score 0 points and have no RB if they don't trade to get him. If they don't trade to get him, it is VERY possible that the team they are playing beats them and takes over control of first place (which matters for playoff seeding).

Ok so what's the big deal? Both teams helped the other out. That's what trades are supposed to do, long term or short. How do you know the 2nd trade Jamaal Williams back wasn't a separately talked about trade? Do you have rules that prevent trading players back to the same team? If you don't have rules, or can't prove that it was a set-up rental situation then I don't think there's anythig you can do.

What else is Team A supposed to do? Sit there and not trade for a RB? What if after the week he says hmm I'd rather get a TE back now that I don't need Williams, would you like J Will back for Jarwin? Deal. It's team management
uhh what? he's more than allowed to trade for a RB lol. The problem is when he reverses the trade because he's out of the bind he was in. The fact that he has the authority as commish makes it worse as well.

If you want to manage your team, either make trades, or build your team with depth. I don't count stretching the rules for renting players team management haha.

The ranking of the players is irrelevant as well. It sets a bad precedent. What stops a non contender from renting out a guy like Kamara for the playoffs if he gets a 1st round pick out of it? If you want to change the rules to allow that, than by all means. But until that's specified its against the rules and obviously collusion.
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Drake Maye
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Schultz
FLEX(2): Stevenson/DK
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Geno/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/Braelon Allen
WR: Nabers/McConkey/N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/P. Brown
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens/Bullard

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:16 pm

If they talked about trading players back before the first trade happened than yes it is collusion
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2-3, WR 3-4, TE 1

QB - CJ Stroud, Justin Fields, Matthew Stafford
RB - Breece Hall, Zach Charbonnet, Dameon Pierce, D'Onta Foreman, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Garrett Wilson, Jaylen Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Nico Collins, Christian Watson, Jameson Williams, Michael Wilson, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Marquise Brown
TE - Cole Kmet, Luke Schoonmaker, Darren Waller, Jelani Woods
Picks - 1.02, 1.09, 2.02, 4.02 -- All 2025 Picks

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:16 pm

ThunderTung wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:08 am
The Godwin Complex wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:05 am I think it’s fine because Team A received a dynasty upgrade in TE, while Team B received a better chance to compete for 1 week. That’s fair trade off in my eyes.
disagree. This would never be allowed in any real sports league. While I try to avoid comparing fantasy to real football, when it comes to things like league integrity, taking advantage of rules and colluding affects both leagues the same
Would it be disallowed or just something that would never be necessary? I mean player loans are a thing in european football leagues, right?
Never Veto wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:16 pm If they talked about trading players back before the first trade happened than yes it is collusion
What exactly is the collusion? I mean people just throw out this word for anything they deem unsavory but fundamentally I don't think anything is collusive unless it involves an arrangement outside the confines of the league, and I don't think an agreement to trade in the future really counts. In my opinion collusion generally requires some agreement involving money.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy, Rodgers, Geno, Carr
JT, K Williams, Javonte, Chubb, Ekeler, Mostert, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, Lamb, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, DJM, M. Williams
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3):
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2025 Picks: 1, 3, 3, 4

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Pitts, Dissly, Hooper
2025 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:37 pm

People still don't know what collusion means. There has been zero evidence presented that trading Williams back was preplanned. Even still, it was for a different player. Unless you have specific rules against trading players back, it's fine. I have specific rules against it in my leagues.

It's not collusion because it's benefiting both owners. It's not cheating others.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:42 pm

@OP if you enjoy the league generally why not just ask for an add to the bylaws that prevents trading back players to tue same team in a certain time frame?

Seems like this should be an easy enough fix if enough folks have a problem with it.

Silver&Black
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Silver&Black » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:47 pm

Please don't get hung up on the by book definition of collusion.

Also keep in mind that it is impossible to get 100% proof, as there is no way the two parties involved are going to be sharing any phone calls, emails, or social media messages that would implicate themselves.

It most definitely cheats other players, specifically the two teams that Team A and Team B are playing against that week, as well as anyone else in their division. It gives them an unfair advantage.

What stops anyone else from lending a player to another team to make sure that a rival gets beat? What stops a friend from helping out another friend in the league? There are a lot of what ifs involved if trades like this are sanctioned.

Silver&Black
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Silver&Black » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:49 pm

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:42 pm @OP if you enjoy the league generally why not just ask for an add to the bylaws that prevents trading back players to tue same team in a certain time frame?

Seems like this should be an easy enough fix if enough folks have a problem with it.
I should clarify. I like the league rules and scoring quite a bit. There aren't many 32 team, no duplicate players leagues out there. Also, this is just one scenario. There have been other head scratching moves that are less obvious involving these teams.

I have no confidence that everyone in the league is playing fairly, so despite liking the team/player/scoring system, I don't feel confident enough that the integrity will be there in the future.
Last edited by Silver&Black on Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.