Collusion or not

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Silver&Black
Rookie
Rookie

Collusion or not

Postby Silver&Black » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:40 am

Here's the situation in my league.
Team A has Ezekial Elliot (RB) and Christian McCaffrey as his running backs. Zeke has a bye week and CMC is injured, so he has no RB. He has a a starting tight end and an extra tight end that can play that week.

Team B has Jamaal Williams (RB) and James Robinson (RB) on his team, who will both play that week. Team B starting TE is on bye and he needs a tight end.

Team A trades Thomas Logan (TE) to Team B. Team B trades Jamaal Williams (RB) to Team A.
Both players start for their new teams.

After scoring is done, Team A trades back Jamaal Williams (RB) to Team B. Team B trades Blake Jarwin (TE) to Team A.

Same exact trade, other than the TE's being slightly different. Team A now has Zeke back off the bye week and no longer needs Jamaal Williams. Team B has their normal starting TE back from bye for the next week.

Bonus feature: Team A is the commissioner.

thunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Collusion or not

Postby thunderTung » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:42 am

100% collusion. especially considering that one of the teams is the commish. I'd be concerned with the integrity of that league going forward, especially if this issue doesn't get addressed.
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Drake Maye
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Schultz
FLEX(2): Stevenson/DK
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Geno/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/Braelon Allen
WR: Nabers/McConkey/N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/P. Brown
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens/Bullard

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:47 am

I mean it seems like renting players to me, which I don't like but is there rules against trading the same player back after a week or 2?

While it seems like collusion and I don't like renting players. The player values are low and pretty equal. It's whatever to me

usps33
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby usps33 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:49 am

100% collusion.

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:55 am

Seems fine to me.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

Silver&Black
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Silver&Black » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:02 am

The league has a rule against collusion, with the penalty being that any owner engaging in collusion will be removed from the league.

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:05 am

I think it’s fine because Team A received a dynasty upgrade in TE, while Team B received a better chance to compete for 1 week. That’s fair trade off in my eyes.
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:06 am

Not collusion for me, since it's not the same trade. If it were player renting, sure.

Sketchy? Absolutely. But it's 2 different trades, so not much you can do imo.

thunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby thunderTung » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:08 am

The Godwin Complex wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:05 am I think it’s fine because Team A received a dynasty upgrade in TE, while Team B received a better chance to compete for 1 week. That’s fair trade off in my eyes.
disagree. This would never be allowed in any real sports league. While I try to avoid comparing fantasy to real football, when it comes to things like league integrity, taking advantage of rules and colluding affects both leagues the same
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
Bench:

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:10 am

ThunderTung wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:08 am
The Godwin Complex wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:05 am I think it’s fine because Team A received a dynasty upgrade in TE, while Team B received a better chance to compete for 1 week. That’s fair trade off in my eyes.
disagree. This would never be allowed in any real sports league. While I try to avoid comparing fantasy to real football, when it comes to things like league integrity, taking advantage of rules and colluding affects both leagues the same
I think you need to look up the definition of collusion...

“secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others.”

Considering the circumstances, How is this cheating?
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"

Silver&Black
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Silver&Black » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:11 am

To put it further into perspective: Team A was playing a division rival, where both had the same record going into this week's game. Team B was also playing a division rival who averages the same score as them and is in second place.

The implications of this week's game. If Team A were to lose, they would have moved into 2nd place in their division, with the team currently below them very likely to win their remaining games and thus be the #1 team in that division. If Team B were to lose, they might move into 2nd place if they lose their next two games as well (which is very possible).
Last edited by Silver&Black on Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silver&Black
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Silver&Black » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:17 am

You are getting too hung up on the exact definition of the word collusion. The principle behind the word in this situation is referring to fairness of league competition.

thunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby thunderTung » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:21 am

The Godwin Complex wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:10 am

“secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others.”

wait, you wouldn't consider this secret cooperation in order to cheat or deceive others? lol. I'm not even sure how anyone could argue that this isn't collusion. You have a team that is in a bind, so he rents a player for a week in order to get out of that bind. Unless the rules specifically say that renting players is allowed, then it has to be assumed it isn't.
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
Bench:

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:28 am

The Godwin Complex wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:10 am

I mean they did secretly cooperate to cheat others lol
Secret = their trade negotiations | cheat others = the rest of the league who wasn't renting players | illegal = as stated in the bylaws

They agreed upon a trade that would (might) buy them a win, not a trade for betterment of their teams. Evidenced by the fact that they traded the players back. Sure, we can recognize that one player was different. But I think most of us are smart enough to see what was being done here. To me, it's just a thinly veiled attempt at renting players and thus - collusion

I agree with others who said it's unlikely anything can be done since a rule wasn't technically broken; but it's still sketchy, damages league integrity, and I would expect better from my commish lol

Silver&Black
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Silver&Black » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:30 am

The rules do not say that renting players is allowed. It has been discussed several times such as in chat in the past as not being allowed, but the actual rules have never been updated to say this.

The actual rules list is outdated in some parts, with things like "**** Needs work" listed on other parts of it. AKA, not the most accurate, up-to-date, clear and concise rules.