Weird League Rules

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Weird League Rules

Postby ThunderTung » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:49 am

I wanted to see how some of this community would react to some odd fantasy football rules, I havent implemented any of these, or considered them. But i've been toying with some different styles that i havent seen done before.

1. pos. v pos. matchups: your h2h matchups consist of your positions battling your positions. If your RB's together score 45 points, and your opponents score 35 points. Both points cancel out and you receive 10 points total. This runs through the rest of the positions. Forces you to build differently, gives you an opportunity to strategize differently for each match up. Another way to score would be to ignore what the margin is, and each position win nets you 1 point. Positions can be weighted (an RB win gives you 2 points, a TE gives you 1)

2. Loaning players: Not a big soccer fan, but in my Fifa days i remember loans. Non competing teams can loan out some of their studs for a set duration in return for assets (picks, FAA budget, players) The value would obviously be lower. But like for me, since im not competing this year, maybe i'd be able to get another pick if I loan out a guy like Sanders.

3. O line groups: I'm sure there are a few leagues that use this, O line grouped together like defense is in non IDP. They start with a set amount of points, each sack allowed is minus, maybe a bonus for rushing yards, or low sacks allowed.

Just a few ideas i've been thinking about. I'd love to hear some other funky rules that people have come up with
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Weird League Rules

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:06 am

I wanted to see how some of this community would react to some odd fantasy football rules, I havent implemented any of these, or considered them. But i've been toying with some different styles that i havent seen done before.

1. pos. v pos. matchups: your h2h matchups consist of your positions battling your positions. If your RB's together score 45 points, and your opponents score 35 points. Both points cancel out and you receive 10 points total.

Wouldn't this be the same as it is now? I mean whoevever has the positive amount at the end wins. Maybe I'm missing something.

This runs through the rest of the positions. Forces you to build differently, gives you an opportunity to strategize differently for each match up. Another way to score would be to ignore what the margin is, and each position win nets you 1 point. Positions can be weighted (an RB win gives you 2 points, a TE gives you 1)

This is interesting. I don't think I'd like it, but it lets people build certain positions up. Studs and boom or bust players definitely get a boost here.

2. Loaning players: Not a big soccer fan, but in my Fifa days i remember loans. Non competing teams can loan out some of their studs for a set duration in return for assets (picks, FAA budget, players) The value would obviously be lower. But like for me, since im not competing this year, maybe i'd be able to get another pick if I loan out a guy like Sanders.

Not into loaning, pretty close to collusion imo. Whoever loans the most players at the end wins. I'm not a fan

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:08 am

That first idea is interesting. How do you think that would affect roster construction? Teams going after floor plays, ceiling plays or something else?

I'm trying to consolidate interesting ideas like these into a single thread. Each link not fully described but that'll come in time- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=204412

Here's a thread on loaning players- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=173813
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:12 am

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:06 am I wanted to see how some of this community would react to some odd fantasy football rules, I havent implemented any of these, or considered them. But i've been toying with some different styles that i havent seen done before.

1. pos. v pos. matchups: your h2h matchups consist of your positions battling your positions. If your RB's together score 45 points, and your opponents score 35 points. Both points cancel out and you receive 10 points total.

Wouldn't this be the same as it is now? I mean whoevever has the positive amount at the end wins. Maybe I'm missing something.

This runs through the rest of the positions. Forces you to build differently, gives you an opportunity to strategize differently for each match up. Another way to score would be to ignore what the margin is, and each position win nets you 1 point. Positions can be weighted (an RB win gives you 2 points, a TE gives you 1)

This is interesting. I don't think I'd like it, but it lets people build certain positions up. Studs and boom or bust players definitely get a boost here.

Not into loaning, pretty close to collusion imo. Whoever loans the most players at the end wins. I'm not a fan
to your first point, I think it would be the same for the most part. Maybe a bigger change would be not focusing on margin at all in a winner takes all kind of setting. You win the RB's you get 45 and your opponent gets nothing. Obviously the biggest flaw to this would be a position like RB would probably explode in value more than it already is, and the final score of games wouldnt be as close
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
Bench:

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:19 am

I'm in a total points redrafter league that uses the OL position. It's a wild position that oftentimes scores you big negative points. We also give a -4 point penalty if you don't start in OL in any given week. Here's the scoring settings:

QB Sacked 2-99 -2 points for 2, and then -2 point for every 1 thereafter
Number of Rushing TDs 0-10 2 points each
Rushing Yards 0-99 0
Rushing Yards 100-999 2 points for 100, and then 1 point for every 10 thereafter Test

Here's the scoring for the year so far:

https://www70.myfantasyleague.com/2020/ ... ints&TEAM=*

Last year the Ravens OL destroyed everyone. They were drafted in the 5th round this year (by the LJax owner who wanted to double dip).

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:24 am

Interesting idea in the o-line scoring. I would only consider it if MFL & the other sites automatically scored those things, which to my knowledge, they do not.

This thread is good for getting the brain going anyway. Nicely done.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

JJRules
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JJRules » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:25 am

1 - Not a fan of the idea on the surface, as it feels like change for its own sake rather than adding anything fun or valuable

2 - This is considered collusion in most leagues, and I don't see how it betters the health of any league

3 - This could be interesting, and I'm intrigued. Do any platforms currently support this?
10-team Superflex, 0.5 PPR, 15-man rosters, pseudo-dynasty
Keep any number of players (0-15), lose same number of draft picks
2010, 2015, 2020 - 🏆, 2013 - 🥈

QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, SF, FLEX, D/ST

QB: Dak, Watson
RB: Swift, Robinson Jr, Singletary, Brown, Hubbard, Zeus, Herbert
WR: Wilson, Olave, Pickens, Aiyuk
TE: Pitts, LaPorta
D/ST:

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:26 am

jordanzs wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:19 am I'm in a total points redrafter league that uses the OL position. It's a wild position that oftentimes scores you big negative points. We also give a -4 point penalty if you don't start in OL in any given week. Here's the scoring settings:

Rushing Yards 0-99 0
Rushing Yards 100-999 2 points for 100, and then 1 point for every 10 thereafter Test

Last year the Ravens OL destroyed everyone. They were drafted in the 5th round this year (by the LJax owner who wanted to double dip).
thats interesting, so instead of it being a position that starts with say 10 or 15 points, its more of a matter of which Oline sucks less and wont take away from your other positions. I think i might like that more tbh.

However if o line groups ever became mainstream, we all know that we'd eventually get IOLP (individual o line players) and that sounds like a disaster haha
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
Bench:

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:03 pm

ThunderTung wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:26 am
jordanzs wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:19 am I'm in a total points redrafter league that uses the OL position. It's a wild position that oftentimes scores you big negative points. We also give a -4 point penalty if you don't start in OL in any given week. Here's the scoring settings:

Rushing Yards 0-99 0

thats interesting, so instead of it being a position that starts with say 10 or 15 points, its more of a matter of which Oline sucks less and wont take away from your other positions. I think i might like that more tbh.

However if o line groups ever became mainstream, we all know that we'd eventually get IOLP (individual o line players) and that sounds like a disaster haha
Don't think it'd be one. Could just base it off PFF scores, or the factors they use.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:14 pm

ThunderTung wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:49 am I wanted to see how some of this community would react to some odd fantasy football rules, I havent implemented any of these, or considered them. But i've been toying with some different styles that i havent seen done before.

1. pos. v pos. matchups: your h2h matchups consist of your positions battling your positions. If your RB's together score 45 points, and your opponents score 35 points. Both points cancel out and you receive 10 points total. This runs through the rest of the positions. Forces you to build differently, gives you an opportunity to strategize differently for each match up. Another way to score would be to ignore what the margin is, and each position win nets you 1 point. Positions can be weighted (an RB win gives you 2 points, a TE gives you 1)

3. O line groups: I'm sure there are a few leagues that use this, O line grouped together like defense is in non IDP. They start with a set amount of points, each sack allowed is minus, maybe a bonus for rushing yards, or low sacks allowed.

Just a few ideas i've been thinking about. I'd love to hear some other funky rules that people have come up with
isn't Pos vs Pos just a league without flex positions?

Hate the loaning players, that's legalized collusion.

Love the O-line idea. like really like it. But I would try to include it in an IDP league opposed to a team defense league, otherwise i feel like they are just counting a lot of the same stats
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, Fields, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens, wilson
T: Kelce, Goedert, Thomas, woods
D: cle, nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson, Browning, Rudolph, Zappe
R: Swift, Walker, Dobbins, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen, Nuk, Tre tucker, C Samuel,
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0009&O=01

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:37 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:24 am Interesting idea in the o-line scoring. I would only consider it if MFL & the other sites automatically scored those things, which to my knowledge, they do not.

This thread is good for getting the brain going anyway. Nicely done.
MFL supports and automatically scores it. Check my post 😀

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:40 am

with negative points to the QB for sacks, the o-line is kind of packaged with the QB. it is also packaged with RBs for obvious reasons.
i'm not a fan of D/ST so i wouldn't like something like that for the o-line, even though to be fair, an offensive line is more about the unit than the single players, more so than for other positions/units.
the issues for me are that the scoring is either objective, like jordanzs' example, and that may be too dependent on matchups/flukes, or it is something subjective, that just isn't right. i understand that the dependence on matchups and flukes is part of every other position as well, but it feels like it would be too much for an o-line.

just a note on loans in soccer: it generally is a bigger team that loans a fringe player to a smaller team to get him some playing time. and i already dislike that...