Is Trevor Lawrence the Most Hyped Player of All Time?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Is Trevor Lawrence the Most Hyped Player of All Time?

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:11 pm

I’m not asking (and I don’t care) if you think the hype is warranted. We’re going to spend all goddamn spring and summer talking about that. I just want to know if you can think of another NFL player that had more hype coming into the league than Lawrence.

I can’t. I think he’s more heavily hyped up than Andrew Luck. If you think somebody has been more hyped than Lawrence, drop it in a reply.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

minnesota muscle
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Is Trevor Lawrence the Most Hyped Player of All Time?

Postby minnesota muscle » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:24 pm

Yes, I think by the time the 2021 NFL Draft is completed Trevor Lawrence will end up being the most hyped player ever. It's a combination of things that make this true. First he is an incredible talent who has been closely followed my media since his freshman year in high school. Second there are so many media outlets to feed on his hype from blogs, websites, twitter, to TV, and newsprint. So many more people have jobs to cover sports stories than in the past. Just the sheer volume of coverage alone makes him the most hyped ever.

I think you mentioned Andrew Luck correctly as likely the last player receiving the most hype. I can't remember anyone else other than John Elway maybe getting as much attention. Even Peyton Manning wasn't the consensus #1 over Ryan Leaf.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:32 pm

John Elway, Troy Aikmen, and Andrew Luck are the only guys that come to mind.

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:38 pm

Sriracha wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:32 pm John Elway, Troy Aikmen, and Andrew Luck are the only guys that come to mind.
Yup these three, Lawrence and Peyton are about all i can think of

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:39 pm

Can't even compare him to any other NFL player, he's on par with LeBron and Bryce Harper prospect hype. (Deservedly so IMO, but that's another thread)

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:43 pm

Andrew Luck had more hype and was basically viewed as the perfect QB prospect and a surefire Hall of Famer. If it doesn't feel that way, then it's because social media was not quite what it is now when Luck declared.

Also, while not a QB, Reggie Bush had a ton of hype and is the most hyped college RB in the modern era. I think many were convinced he was going to be what Christian McCaffrey is now.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:00 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:39 pm Can't even compare him to any other NFL player, he's on par with LeBron and Bryce Harper prospect hype. (Deservedly so IMO, but that's another thread)
That’s what actually prompted me to start this thread. I told a Jets fan friend of mine not to worry because they were getting football’s LeBron.
Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:43 pm Andrew Luck had more hype and was basically viewed as the perfect QB prospect and a surefire Hall of Famer. If it doesn't feel that way, then it's because social media was not quite what it is now when Luck declared.

Also, while not a QB, Reggie Bush had a ton of hype and is the most hyped college RB in the modern era. I think many were convinced he was going to be what Christian McCaffrey is now.
Bush did have a ton of hype but he didn’t even go first in the draft, and it wasn’t like he was the clear guy to take over Leinart and Young either. (Man, remember Vince Young? There’s a guy who came along a little to early.)

The other guy I forgot that I haven’t seen mentioned is Mike Vick. There was some talk that he was going to completely break football.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:19 pm

(I suspect this will be the case until the Colts, Giants, and Saints tank to get Arch Manning in the 2026 NFL Draft.)

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:35 pm

And when he gets drafted by the Jets at #1 overall he will overtake Ryan Leaf as the biggest bust in NFL history. Sad.

Shankopotamus
Starter
Starter

Postby Shankopotamus » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:08 pm

I feel like Clowney is up there.
12 Team Super-Flex TEP Dynasty
22 CHAMP :dance:
(2019 & 2020 Runner-Up) :wall:

1 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, Flex, SF, 2 TE

3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 1 Flex IDP

QB- Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Gardner Minshew, Sam Ehlinger
RB- D’Andre Swift, Nick Chubb, Javonte Williams, Cam Akers, Kyren Williams, Jerome Ford, D’Ernest Johnson, Darrell Henderson
WR- DK Metcalf, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Jameson Williams, Gabe Davis, Hollywood Brown, Josh Reynolds, Calvin Austin, Laviska Shenault, Kyle Phillips
TE-Mark Andrews, Greg Dulcich, Isaiah Likely, Donald Parham, Tyler Conklin
DL-Danielle Hunter, Nick Bosa, Deforest Buckner, Jonathon Allen
LB- Micah Parsons, Jack Sanborn, Logan Wilson, Cole Holcomb, Nakobe Dean, Brian Asamoah
DB-Jeremy Chinn, Jalen Pitre, Jalen Thompson, Kam Curl, Darrick Forrest
K-Tyler Bass

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:35 pm

As far as college athletes go, I’ve never seen anyone hyped to the degree that Tim Tebow was. Not as an NFL prospect, obviously, but purely as a college player, Tebow easily takes the cake. Listening to Thom Brennaman verbally fellate him for three straight hours during the 2009 BCS national championship game was equal parts cringey, nauseating and infuriating.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:24 am

Are we talking real-life NFL hype, or fantasy hype?

Because while I admittedly wasn't paying that much attention to dynasty yet during the times of Luck or Bush being drafted, I did see Saquan (and likely 1.01 picks the year prior to have a chance at him) being traded for top 10 startup player prices before he had ever set foot on an NFL field or had been drafted to an NFL team even.

Now I'm sure it is already crazy expensive in SF leagues to try and acquire the likely 1.01, but Barkley still stands out to me for what was going on in regular and SF leagues at the time.

failblazer
All Pro
All Pro

Postby failblazer » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:10 am

Bot101 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:35 pm And when he gets drafted by the Jets at #1 overall he will overtake Ryan Leaf as the biggest bust in NFL history. Sad.
I am really hoping this doesn’t happen. I don’t think there is a QB in history who could overcome the Jets right now. Sadly, I find it hard to see them actually winning any games, so it is very feasible.
16 Team PPR (11th Year Dynasty - Former 2 Time Champion)
P. Mahomes, Z. Wilson
C. McCaffrey, N. Harris, C. Hubbard
D. Hopkins, A. Cooper, C. Kupp, D. Johnson, G. Davis, D. Mims, J. Palmer
D. Waller, C. Kmet, B. Jordan

C. Young, R. Quinn
D. Leonard, M. Milano, C. Mosely, B. Okereke, J. Davis
J. Simmons, J. Fuller

Picks - 1.01, 2.12, 3.01, 3.15, 4.14

16 Team PPR (10th Year Dynasty - Reigning 5 Time Champion)
A. Rodgers, J. Fields
C. McCaffrey, D. Henry, J. Dobbins, M. Davis
D. Hopkins, D. Adams, C. Kupp, M. Jones, M. Valdes-Scantling, A. Green, T. Johnson, Dy. Brown, G. Pickens, J. Tolbert,
N. Fant, A. Okwugbunam, J. Harris
J. Elliott

D. Lawrence, R. Quinn, T. Hendrickson
R. Smith, B. Okereke, L. Wilson, J. Davis, D. Tranquil, B. Asamoah
J. Simmons, W. Harris

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:27 am

failblazer wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:10 am
Bot101 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:35 pm And when he gets drafted by the Jets at #1 overall he will overtake Ryan Leaf as the biggest bust in NFL history. Sad.
I am really hoping this doesn’t happen. I don’t think there is a QB in history who could overcome the Jets right now. Sadly, I find it hard to see them actually winning any games, so it is very feasible.
As long as gase is gone his odds go wayyyyy up

lostcause
Captain
Captain

Postby lostcause » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:25 am

Luck had fan bases demanding their teams suck harder to get him. I've never seen that phenomenon to that level in the NFL.