fantasy impact of coronavirus

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Re: fantasy impact of coronavirus

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:14 am

Somebody is going to get really sick, and there’s going to be a lot of emotional hand wringing and “[name]strong” shirts, and it’s all going to be disingenuous garbage. The league willfully avoided the safest options here, despite watching every other league go first.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:30 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:14 am Somebody is going to get really sick, and there’s going to be a lot of emotional hand wringing and “[name]strong” shirts, and it’s all going to be disingenuous garbage. The league willfully avoided the safest options here, despite watching every other league go first.
The risk to healthy athletic 20-somethings (or early 30 somethings) is incredibly miniscule. The risk to older coaches/management can be mitigated significantly with solid policies and procedures.

The safest option was canceling the entire season. Is that what you wanted?

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:54 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:30 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:14 am Somebody is going to get really sick, and there’s going to be a lot of emotional hand wringing and “[name]strong” shirts, and it’s all going to be disingenuous garbage. The league willfully avoided the safest options here, despite watching every other league go first.
The risk to healthy athletic 20-somethings (or early 30 somethings) is incredibly miniscule. The risk to older coaches/management can be mitigated significantly with solid policies and procedures.

Thanks, doc.

First, assuming every NFL player is in great cardiovascular health is wrong. I’d bet Kyler Murray gets through it ok. Some of the guys clocking in over 350 make me worried. Second, the risk of death in that group is small, but the risk of significant morbidity is difficult to quantify. Notice I didn’t say that anybody was going to die. See: Eduardo Rodriguez, the Red Sox pitcher who’s still dealing with myocarditis. Last I saw, 1/3 of the Big Ten athletes who were positive were diagnosed with it.

Third, no, I didn’t want them to cancel the season. I wanted them to recognize that moving forward with no substantial changes and business as usual was a bad idea, and consider alternative solutions. Amending the schedule to allow for multiple bubble periods, for example, shouldn’t have been beyond the reach of a multi-billion dollar conglomerate that owns a day of the week.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:59 am

Major focus of my in season rebuild was stacking up on WRs, got 4 new ones since the beginning of the season..... today i am starting Olamide Zaccheus. This is fun.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:11 am

The safe option was no football.

If you want to blame someone blame the NFLPA and the players for shooting down faceshield masks and the bubble.

We (fans, owners, players, coaches, everyone on the planet) wanted football. The NFL has done a good job adjusting, monitoring, and limiting covid despite the challenges. Everyone expected this year to be interesting.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Murray, Prescott
RB | Jeff Wilson, Pierre-Strong
WR | Adams, Olave, ARSB, Dotson, Addison
TE | Andrews, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1st 2025 | 1stx3, 2nd, 3rdx2

10 Team | SF | PPR

QB | Murray, Tagovailoa, Stroud
RB | Montgomery, Swift, Dobbins, Singletary, Jamaal Williams, R. White, Davis-Price, Herbert, Miller
WR | Godwin, AJB, Lamb, D. Johnson, M. Brown, Mooney, Kirk, J. Williams, Skyy Moore, Watson
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1st, 2nd, 3rd

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert, Love, Young, Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, Ford, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Flowers, Collins, Downs
TE | Hockenson, Dulcich, Likely, Otton
2024 | 2nd, 3rdx3, 4th

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:15 am

100% agree with all of this. Well said.

The risks are minimal for the players but there are still risks.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, Fields, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens, wilson
T: Kelce, Goedert, Thomas, woods
D: cle, nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson, Browning, Rudolph, Zappe
R: Swift, Walker, Dobbins, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen, Nuk, Tre tucker, C Samuel,
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0009&O=01

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:28 am

CGW wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:11 amIf you want to blame someone blame the NFLPA and the players for shooting down faceshield masks and the bubble.
Yeah. I blame them too. There’s a lot to go around.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:47 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:54 am

Thanks, doc.

First, assuming every NFL player is in great cardiovascular health is wrong. I’d bet Kyler Murray gets through it ok. Some of the guys clocking in over 350 make me worried. Second, the risk of death in that group is small, but the risk of significant morbidity is difficult to quantify. Notice I didn’t say that anybody was going to die. See: Eduardo Rodriguez, the Red Sox pitcher who’s still dealing with myocarditis. Last I saw, 1/3 of the Big Ten athletes who were positive were diagnosed with it.

Third, no, I didn’t want them to cancel the season. I wanted them to recognize that moving forward with no substantial changes and business as usual was a bad idea, and consider alternative solutions. Amending the schedule to allow for multiple bubble periods, for example, shouldn’t have been beyond the reach of a multi-billion dollar conglomerate that owns a day of the week.
Hey, you’re the one engaging in histrionics. My response is based on the facts provided by what we’ve seen from this disease to date.

You have a better feasible solution? Let’s hear it. Flesh out your “multiple bubble”.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:05 am

Jason McCourty is right that the league is more concerned about playing games than the actual health of players.

Even more so telling that you frequently see coaches and players on the sidelines not wearing masks or face coverings.

Damien Woody nailed it earlier. They're shifting bye weeks around during weeks where players have prepared to play games. That's not a real bye week. The benefit of a bye week is that you know what week it's going to be, you don't have to go through any type of football prep, and you have the time to be with your family and wind down.

It's absolutely ridiculous that this is the NFL's response after having SIX MONTHS to prepare.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:47 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:30 am The risk to healthy athletic 20-somethings (or early 30 somethings) is incredibly miniscule. The risk to older coaches/management can be mitigated significantly with solid policies and procedures.

Real easy to tell the boys to get out there and f-in' play when it's not your @ss on the line, innit...

We know exactly zero about the long term effects of this thing. I wonder how you'd feel if your work told you you were going to travel the pandemic-ravaged US-of-A for the next 4 months, no bubble, and no assurances that everyone around you would take it as seriously as you.

Nah. You'd probably be cool with it, hey.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:02 pm

At one point over the summer I sat down for like 20 minutes and sketched out what a novel solution could look like. It’s posted here somewhere.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:04 pm

mild wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:47 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:30 am The risk to healthy athletic 20-somethings (or early 30 somethings) is incredibly miniscule. The risk to older coaches/management can be mitigated significantly with solid policies and procedures.

Real easy to tell the boys to get out there and f-in' play when it's not your @ss on the line, innit...

We know exactly zero about the long term effects of this thing. I wonder how you'd feel if your work told you you were going to travel the pandemic-ravaged US-of-A for the next 4 months, no bubble, and no assurances that everyone around you would take it as seriously as you.

Nah. You'd probably be cool with it, hey.
So the players weren't wanting to play? I thought the titans just got into a shitstorm because they wanted to play badly enough they held unsanctioned practices. Some opted out, but most wanted this season and knew the risks...so I don't fully follow this?
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD

QB | Murray, Prescott
RB | Jeff Wilson, Pierre-Strong
WR | Adams, Olave, ARSB, Dotson, Addison
TE | Andrews, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1st 2025 | 1stx3, 2nd, 3rdx2

10 Team | SF | PPR

QB | Murray, Tagovailoa, Stroud
RB | Montgomery, Swift, Dobbins, Singletary, Jamaal Williams, R. White, Davis-Price, Herbert, Miller
WR | Godwin, AJB, Lamb, D. Johnson, M. Brown, Mooney, Kirk, J. Williams, Skyy Moore, Watson
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1st, 2nd, 3rd

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert, Love, Young, Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, Ford, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Flowers, Collins, Downs
TE | Hockenson, Dulcich, Likely, Otton
2024 | 2nd, 3rdx3, 4th

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:26 pm

CGW wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:04 pm So the players weren't wanting to play? I thought the titans just got into a shitstorm because they wanted to play badly enough they held unsanctioned practices. Some opted out, but most wanted this season and knew the risks...so I don't fully follow this?
It's not that hard to follow. Our resident doctor Bronco Billy is minimising the risks of COVID - again, something we have zero data on the long term health risks on - by saying that it's not risky for the players because they're young. Apart from the fact that we know it IS risky to people with high BMI's (ie, all linemen) AND that various younger people have still died from this virus - it's that he's presenting it as the only two options, don't play, or do - with full risks and no bubble. That's disingenuous. The argument long moved past that when the Bubble was voted down.

Clearly, we're all here - we want football. I want football. But I think we can all still be completely disappointed by the NFL's lack of planning and foresight when dealing with this season, despite having all the other sports going first. For instance, an easy inserting of a league-wide BYE every 4 weeks would have mitigated much of this madness, and allowed for easy rescheduling and quarantining. Most over/unders I saw amongst my friend/betting circles had "time until outbreak" as a Week 4 thing... as in, this was -not- hard to see coming.

As of now, the BYE's of teams are getting eaten up first. There's not too much more margin for error left for teams like NE, PIT, and of course, TEN. It feels tenuous at best, and we're barely a third through the regular season...

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:16 pm

NBA crowns a champ without a single positive test from the bubble. Damn fine work.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:40 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:16 pm NBA crowns a champ without a single positive test from the bubble. Damn fine work.
I believe the NHL did the same