Disappointing young TEs

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Disappointing young TEs

Postby Prison_Mike » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:43 am

Ian Thomas is the biggest surprise for me. I haven't been able to watch any Panthers games, but it seems he's not involved in the game plan at all. What does he have, 1 catch through the first three weeks? Never would've expected that

I'm still hopeful for Irv long-term. He's so young

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:24 am

mild wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:47 pm
IR1 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:14 pm Been holding/hoping on OJ for years. Can’t sell him for anything, close to just dropping him
Don't do that. Even Gronk has been unable to break through the horror of the Tampa Scheme despite being brought there specifically at the behest of his BFF Brady. If those two can't get it going, even as geriatrics, then it's not fair to judge OJH yet.

Despite the fact that OJH also looks much improved out there this year.

OJH is a UFA in 2022. If you've held this long, you may as well see what this offseason brings - if Tompa underperforms in 2020, there could be everything from mass trades to coach/scheme changes, to who-knows-what. You've come this far. HOLD.
Thanks, trying to hold, fwiw I have Kelce, Fant and Goedert also, so I'd only drop Howard if someone of high value is available
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:38 am

Thanks for the input guys. Didn't include Andrews or Hurst because I feel better about them than guys on list. Jonnu as well.

I agree with most of the takes (unfortunately).

I really thought Ian Thomas was primed to have a good season so he's the one I'm most disappointed in.

Holding OJ for at LEAST a 1/2 season with Brady.

Irv Smith Jr. looks SMOOTH running routes. I know they depend on the run game, so maybe his blocking isn't up to par? (Can someone educate me?)

Herndon - Jets are a dumpster fire. Life as a Jets fan sucks.

Mo Allie Cox is a guy I wish I had, especially as long as Rivers is there. Loves his TEs.
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:23 am

jetsfan5757 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:38 am Irv Smith Jr. looks SMOOTH running routes. I know they depend on the run game, so maybe his blocking isn't up to par? (Can someone educate me?)
Kyle Rudolph has been know to be a BAD blocker with some improvement recently, and if I recall correctly, Irv Smith was at least decent last year. I think Rudolph is still getting the lion's share of snaps has a lot to do with 1) Zimmer takes it slow with rookies & young guys and 2) Rudolph has been a team leader for years and won't be a backup while on the team.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

dvpkwys
Captain
Captain

Postby dvpkwys » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:40 am

mild wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:48 pm
dvpkwys wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:00 pmEngram?
Wooooof. He has been SO bad.

It's not like the targets haven't been there, either. I've been watching (more than I'd like to admit) and he has been outright dropping balls, almost like he's forgotten how to play.

They're not exactly the same situation, but it's kind of giving me 2019 OJ Howard vibes... a talented TE with insane production flashes across his first few years, marred by availability issues - and now playing his worst ball yet.

You can't sell right now, and he leaves next year (most likely). All you can do is hold and hope he improves; once the G-men play some easier defenses he may yet have a big game. Hard to be encouraged about anything in Big Blue right now, though.
It's ugly. You're right, can't sell now, nor do I have any interest. I have Hockenson and Gesicki on as well. Traded Njoku this summer.
10 Team - NON PPR (5 Round Rookie Draft) - Start 2QB, 2RB, 4WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 4DB, 4LB/DL/DB

Burrow/Howell (Murray, Geno)
Taylor/Swift (Sanders, Conner, Gibson, Miller, Spears Lenny)
Adams/Godwin/Higgins/McLaurin (DJ Moore, Hopkins, Tillman)
Kelce (Hockenson)
Budda/Holland/Blackmon/Minkah (Sydney Brown)
Bosa/Bernard/Okereke/EJones (Elliss)

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:06 am

jetsfan5757 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:58 pm What are we thinking/expecting of Ian Thomas, Irv Smith Jr, OJ Howard, Njoku, Herndon and any other young TEs that are struggling?

OJ Howard - arrow is pointing slightly up with Brady, but seems like Arians' system just won't showcase him.
Ian Thomas - change in coaching and system affecting him? Change in QB? He did better last year in games Olsen was out and I was REALLY excited about him. (Cut Jonnu Smith week 15 last year to grab him :wall: )
Irv Smith Jr - looked pretty good in limited opportunity last year, and has done NOTHING this year. Coordinator change? Just 4th in line behind Thielen, Jefferson, and Rudolph (and even Cook).
Njoku - good week 1, now injured
Herndon - Pretty quiet so far

Who do you guys have hope for?
I'm holding all of these guys if I still have them. TE can take a long time to be fantasy relevant and those guys are all young. The one thing I will add to this conversation is I will not take a TE in the first round of a rookie draft ever again. Take shots in round 3 until one hits. Scoop up and buy low on the young TE when people are impatient.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:20 am

Irv has been MIA for sure. Rudolph is still a favorite for his blocking and red zone ability.

OJ is just slow mentally, always looking confused or lacking focus, dropping passes not running sharp routes. Game is still too fast for him.

The rest I've never been too high on although Herndon has some nice upside.

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:56 pm

OJ has a good game going, then Achilles.

Ian Thomas sighting with TD.

Irv Smith quiet. Herndon quiet.
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:26 pm

jetsfan5757 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:56 pm OJ has a good game going, then Achilles.

Ian Thomas sighting with TD.

Irv Smith quiet. Herndon quiet.
MOE ALIE COX RAMPAGES AGAIN

... on two targets...

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:52 am

Moe Alie-Cox played 33 snaps (46%), while Jack Doyle played 45 snaps (62%). I wonder if the game flow had something to do with this. They were up two scores and took the air out of the ball. I was hoping for more and was quite happy for Ali-Cox to get that early score.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:44 am

Fant being ignored/underrated because of injury? He was looking great. Lots of targets. Great in the red zone. Super athletic. As long as he and Lock both get back on the field, I can't think of many guys I'd rather have.

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:04 am

Finally an Irv Smith Jr sighting! Hope he builds on this.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:15 am

Multiple Scorgasms wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:44 am Fant being ignored/underrated because of injury? He was looking great. Lots of targets. Great in the red zone. Super athletic. As long as he and Lock both get back on the field, I can't think of many guys I'd rather have.
Fant's gained a lot of hype this season in Dynasty.

Don't think he belongs in this thread given his upwards trajectory.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:52 am

Ian Thomas is ded

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:19 pm

TEs usually don't come into their own until age 25-26. They are basically learning two positions at once. For that reason, drafting them early in rookie drafts is usually a waste. The elite prospects can often be bought at a huge discount after people get discouraged in their first couple seasons.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06