Interesting COVID Roster Delimma

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Interesting COVID Roster Delimma

Postby jcc6fd » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:18 am

With the Steeler/Titans game postponed, Sleeper (and I presume other platforms) gave all players from those teams the COV distinction, which allows them to be put on IR. We implemented a rule in our league that allowed for unlimited COVID IR spots, which I think a lot of leagues also did. I agree with this in principle. If you lose a player in this season for multiple weeks due to COVID, being able to roster additional players seems like an equitable response.

However, this game cancellation has revealed a new set of factors and probably unintended consequences. All players for both of these teams, regardless of their individual health status (no major offensive players for the Titans that I know contracted COVID) are allowed to be put on IR per our rules. Presumably next week the designation will be lifted but this means, for one week, each owner in our league is given additional roster spots equal to the number of Titans/Steelers they roster. I own AJ Brown, thus last night my immediate reaction was to put AJB on COVID IR and submit a waiver claim ($0 FAAB) for Jamaal Williams. My intention was to pick up the best available backup RB to hedge against an injury, knowing I would have to cut a rostered player as soon as next Wednesday. I got him this morning.

My actions and the potential actions of my league mates (one owner has 5 Titans/Steelers) is forcing me to ask, is the reality of a single suspended game that is essentially equivalent to each team's regular bye week cause the COVID designation to give an unfair competitive edge to players who happen to roster the affected teams? And is this situation not in line with the intention of granting extra roster space to teams who lost production from individual players who contracted COVID?

In redraft, with limited roster space, having the spots makes sense to me. You likely need to replace those players to fill your roster. But in our dynasty league there isn't a single player on waivers that anyone would start above their existing bench options. All owners could have theoretically claimed any player currently on waivers in place of an existing bench player prior to having extra bench spots. And if you own Derrick Henry (or any startable Titan/Steeler), you don't actually lose a single week of his production due to COVID. It's not on the week you anticipated, which could cause problems, but stashing another player doesn't impact his week 4 absence either way. However, if Aaron Jones tears his ACL on Monday I have just picked up a valuable in season player I would not otherwise had. These were the rules for everyone, but of course not everyone rosters a player for the Steelers or Titans, and some clearly rostered several.

This could amount to nothing, and I'm not overly concerned about it. All of the players on our waivers are their for a reason. But I do think it's an interesting an unintended facet of how COVID is impacting fantasy.
Last edited by jcc6fd on Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Re: Interesting COVID Roster Delimma

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:22 am

I don't see much of an issue. Losing a starter is a bigger disadvantage than gaining a one week roster space is an advantage.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:25 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:22 am I don't see much of an issue. Losing a starter is a bigger disadvantage than gaining a one week roster space is an advantage.
You're not actually losing a starter because it's taking the place of their bye week. Unless a game is actually lost from the season from either team or individual players are impacted, I don't see how this is too hurtful to a dynasty team. That is unless you made roster construction decisions based on bye schedule, which I find highly unlikely in dynasty.
Last edited by jcc6fd on Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:25 am

MFL treated as a bye, as they should. Sleeper is making a blunder, and putting you in a predicament.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:29 am

NO NO NO NO NO! Under no circumstances should the players be considered on COVID lists. While the NFL has not announced when the game will be played, it is (as of now) most likely to be played week 7 or 8 (i forget which) and week 4 will become the two team's bye week.

Players should be treated on bye unless they are specifically put onto the COVID19 list.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:31 am

abloom wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:29 am NO NO NO NO NO! Under no circumstances should the players be considered on COVID lists. While the NFL has not announced when the game will be played, it is (as of now) most likely to be played week 7 or 8 (i forget which) and week 4 will become the two team's bye week.

Players should be treated on bye unless they are specifically put onto the COVID19 list.
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:25 am MFL treated as a bye, as they should. Sleeper is making a blunder, and putting you in a predicament.
I'm inclined to agree with both of you. Just debating whether it's important enough to bring it up to our commissioner. It's a friends league and I'd like to avoid making a stink out of it if possible.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:35 am

jcc6fd wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:31 am
abloom wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:29 am NO NO NO NO NO! Under no circumstances should the players be considered on COVID lists. While the NFL has not announced when the game will be played, it is (as of now) most likely to be played week 7 or 8 (i forget which) and week 4 will become the two team's bye week.

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:25 am MFL treated as a bye, as they should. Sleeper is making a blunder, and putting you in a predicament.
I'm inclined to agree with both of you. Just debating whether it's important enough to bring it up to our commissioner. It's a friends league and I'd like to avoid making a stink out of it if possible.
As long as the league isn't a shallow bush league, I'd lean towards doing nothing. If the waivers have actual talent on them, then I could see it being an issue.

So this is a Sleeper-specific issue?
16 team league

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:37 am

My friends league (redraft) runs like yours; my serious leagues (dynasty -- with much deeper rosters) consider this a bye.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:38 am

Update: Steelers titans game to be played week 7.

https://www.nfl.com/news/postponed-stee ... for-week-7

Week 4 will be their bye week.

R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,

Team #4 3rd

Team #5 4th

Team #6 orphan

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:47 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:35 am

As long as the league isn't a shallow bush league, I'd lean towards doing nothing. If the waivers have actual talent on them, then I could see it being an issue.

It's sounding that way. MFL apparently treated it as a bye. I'm also on ESPN and Yahoo, and both appear to have treated this as a bye week.

It is a 10 team league meaning there is certainly rosterable talent on waiver, but I'd say our owners are pretty knowledgeable and rosters are decently deep. Notable waiver pickups I've seen are J Williams (me), Gabriel Davis, and extra defenses (likely in anticipation for future weeks). There are still some rosterable RB backups available (and some people haven't filled all of their spots) but nothing egregious there. DJax is somehow on waivers but I don't really want him either.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:56 am

jcc6fd wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:47 am
Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:35 am

It's sounding that way. MFL apparently treated it as a bye. I'm also on ESPN and Yahoo, and both appear to have treated this as a bye week.

It is a 10 team league meaning there is certainly rosterable talent on waiver, but I'd say our owners are pretty knowledgeable and rosters are decently deep. Notable waiver pickups I've seen are J Williams (me), Gabriel Davis, and extra defenses (likely in anticipation for future weeks). There are still some rosterable RB backups available (and some people haven't filled all of their spots) but nothing egregious there. DJax is somehow on waivers but I don't really want him either.
Seems like unnecessary headache created by Sleeper. I'd still let it be. If someone in the league has a major issue, they'll make it known.
16 team league

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:01 pm

I think FleaFlicker is treating it the same way as Sleeper. I have a few TEN/PIT players in one league there that all appear to be IR-eligible. Not sure if it’s a setting that could vary league-to-league.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:00 pm

i was told sleeper was good. first season using it and it looks pants. players on a bye considered as IR eligible... cool mascots tho (no they're fookin terrible)

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:07 pm

killer_of_giants wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:00 pm i was told sleeper was good. first season using it and it looks pants. players on a bye considered as IR eligible... cool mascots tho (no they're fookin terrible)
Who told you it was good? Never used it but everyone that I hear talk about it have nothing but bad things to say about it.

Team #4 3rd

Team #5 4th

Team #6 orphan

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:20 pm

The only argument against just treating it like a bye is the one week notice, usually you can plan your bye weeks in advance. It's just going to be one of those years where things will just not be how everyone wants it to be.