Disappointing young TEs

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Disappointing young TEs

Postby jetsfan5757 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:58 pm

What are we thinking/expecting of Ian Thomas, Irv Smith Jr, OJ Howard, Njoku, Herndon and any other young TEs that are struggling?

OJ Howard - arrow is pointing slightly up with Brady, but seems like Arians' system just won't showcase him.
Ian Thomas - change in coaching and system affecting him? Change in QB? He did better last year in games Olsen was out and I was REALLY excited about him. (Cut Jonnu Smith week 15 last year to grab him :wall: )
Irv Smith Jr - looked pretty good in limited opportunity last year, and has done NOTHING this year. Coordinator change? Just 4th in line behind Thielen, Jefferson, and Rudolph (and even Cook).
Njoku - good week 1, now injured
Herndon - Pretty quiet so far

Who do you guys have hope for?
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Disappointing young TEs

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:08 pm

No one, only Tes i have any hope for in fantasy are Kelce and Kittle. Its really that simple. Its almost becoming a position you can stream week to week based on matchups.

CL3VELANDBR0WNS
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby CL3VELANDBR0WNS » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:30 pm

I don't love any of the above. OJ Howard is pretty much exactly who he was in college. He has the athleticism to dominate but may forever be a 600/5 guy in a good year. I have a guaranteed contract in my one league to him but I'm ready to take the hit and cut bait.
Irv Smith is the only real other guy who intrigues. He's kind of a tweener though who may struggle to get onto the field. Hypothetically, he would be the #3 pass option in an offense that now has to throw a little more but it hasn't worked out that way so far.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:17 pm

jetsfan5757 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:58 pm What are we thinking/expecting of Ian Thomas, Irv Smith Jr, OJ Howard, Njoku, Herndon and any other young TEs that are struggling?

OJ Howard - arrow is pointing slightly up with Brady, but seems like Arians' system just won't showcase him.
Ian Thomas - change in coaching and system affecting him? Change in QB? He did better last year in games Olsen was out and I was REALLY excited about him. (Cut Jonnu Smith week 15 last year to grab him :wall: )
Irv Smith Jr - looked pretty good in limited opportunity last year, and has done NOTHING this year. Coordinator change? Just 4th in line behind Thielen, Jefferson, and Rudolph (and even Cook).
Njoku - good week 1, now injured
Herndon - Pretty quiet so far

Who do you guys have hope for?
OJ Howard is still intriguing, but he's just not going to fire so long as he's with Bruce Arians.

Ian Thomas.. we'll see

Irv Smith? Never understood why people were high on him after his rookie season. Maybe a form of take lock?

Njoku - nope.

Herndon - Limited player who will be dependent on his situation. And the situation ain't there so long as Gase is HC... although there are rumblings of him getting fired soon.

The only young, unproven TE I want at this point is Mo Alie Cox who has legitimate top 5 upside (He probably won't hit it, but the potential is definitely there).

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:26 pm

Mark Andrews: I’m very high on him but these last two weeks, him and L.Jackson seem out of sync. Hopefully, that’s all it is but as an owner of him in multiple leagues, I’m hoping they get things clicking soon.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:30 pm

I agree that Mo Ali-Cox is the most exciting of the young TEs. The mojo just isn't there with the rest of them.

If the Colts weren't up so big, he would've had a bigger week 3.

I still like Irv Smith once Rudolph is gone, but that may be a couple seasons yet.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

dvpkwys
Captain
Captain

Postby dvpkwys » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:00 pm

Engram?
10 Team - NON PPR (5 Round Rookie Draft) - Start 2QB, 2RB, 4WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 4DB, 4LB/DL/DB

Burrow/Howell (Murray, Geno)
Taylor/Swift (Sanders, Conner, Gibson, Miller, Spears Lenny)
Adams/Godwin/Higgins/McLaurin (DJ Moore, Hopkins, Tillman)
Kelce (Hockenson)
Budda/Holland/Blackmon/Minkah (Sydney Brown)
Bosa/Bernard/Okereke/EJones (Elliss)

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:10 pm

Of the guys mentioned in OP I like Njoku the best. He's still really young, and even as raw as he is he had a good 2nd year. He's just been derailed by injuries since, along with drops. I still think he'll put it together at some point.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

CL3VELANDBR0WNS
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby CL3VELANDBR0WNS » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:30 pm

I know he had one big game so I don't know if you would call him a disappointment but Gesicki is one of very few tight ends that I think has potential between the 20s.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:48 pm

dvpkwys wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:00 pmEngram?
Wooooof. He has been SO bad.

It's not like the targets haven't been there, either. I've been watching (more than I'd like to admit) and he has been outright dropping balls, almost like he's forgotten how to play.

They're not exactly the same situation, but it's kind of giving me 2019 OJ Howard vibes... a talented TE with insane production flashes across his first few years, marred by availability issues - and now playing his worst ball yet.

You can't sell right now, and he leaves next year (most likely). All you can do is hold and hope he improves; once the G-men play some easier defenses he may yet have a big game. Hard to be encouraged about anything in Big Blue right now, though.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:53 pm

Patsfan86 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:08 pm No one, only Tes i have any hope for in fantasy are Kelce and Kittle. Its really that simple. Its almost becoming a position you can stream week to week based on matchups.
Agree here. It’s really just very rare to find a solid, consistent producer at TE, and rarer still if we are talking young.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:59 pm

TE is basically

Kittle
Kelce

Andrews
Ertz

Everyone else starting with Henry, Hock, Fant, Gisecki, Jonnu, Waller, Goedert and so on and so on

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:14 pm

Been holding/hoping on OJ for years. Can’t sell him for anything, close to just dropping him
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:47 pm

IR1 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:14 pm Been holding/hoping on OJ for years. Can’t sell him for anything, close to just dropping him
Don't do that. Even Gronk has been unable to break through the horror of the Tampa Scheme despite being brought there specifically at the behest of his BFF Brady. If those two can't get it going, even as geriatrics, then it's not fair to judge OJH yet.

Despite the fact that OJH also looks much improved out there this year.

OJH is a UFA in 2022. If you've held this long, you may as well see what this offseason brings - if Tompa underperforms in 2020, there could be everything from mass trades to coach/scheme changes, to who-knows-what. You've come this far. HOLD.

ItsHandsomeDave
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ItsHandsomeDave » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:32 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:30 pm I agree that Mo Ali-Cox is the most exciting of the young TEs. The mojo just isn't there with the rest of them.
This post sums it up perfectly. Mo Ali-Cox is 27 years old already. I have had this guy on my bench in some 2TE leagues for the last 2 years now.

Its rare that TE's do well when they first enter the league, particularly the really good "real life" TE's who are going to block as much as they receive. Its a position that takes most 4-5 years to wrap their heads around, its why every year we get hit with waiver wire TE's out of nowhere.

TE is deeper than it has ever been and its very young right now. Some of these guys are already starting to emerge, but I think in 2 years time or so the league is going to be swarming with a lot of really good fantasy options.

Kittle and Andrews aside, we are looking at a pool of players that includes Fant, Henry, Hock, Gesicki, Goedert, Jonnu Smith, Herdon and Thomas. Irv Smith is also only 22 years old. And this does not include a lot of the relative unknowns who long term may be really good TE's too, that being guys like Howard, Knox and Njuku.