kudos to the board...I'm now a believer

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
The Juggernaut
Role Player
Role Player

kudos to the board...I'm now a believer

Postby The Juggernaut » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:18 pm

I've been listening to good advice from the board since last year. I never really bought into the 'stay away from Shanny' stuff you guys were preaching. I am now a believer and sorry for doubting you guys. Thanks for all the help.
Custom scoring PPR ***FULL REBUILD…11 Starters
1-2 QBs Rodgers, Hurts, Cunningham
2-5 RBs Abanikanda, Dobbins, Akers, Tucker, Strong,
3-6 WRs D.Smith, Juju, DJ Moore, Pierce, Mims, Wilson, Marshall
1-2 TEs Goedert, Johnson, McBride
1-D Washington

Devy Henderson, Egbuka, J.Dickey, Judkins, R.Owens, B. Robinson

Mangelo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: kudos to the board...I'm now a believer

Postby Mangelo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:37 pm

Hightower is the #12 ppr RB. Seems like great value to me.

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:57 pm

yeah i dont subscribe to the stay away from shanny thing. How many straight 1000 yard rushers did he have in denver. Guys with marginal nfl skill sets like Olandis Gary and mike Bell just to name a few. Its not shanahan's fault rbs get hurt and he had to put in another one. He stayed with Torain last year when he was healthy, he had drafted Helu to use but the lockout made him impossible to start so he traded for hightower who is a nice match for his system. Helu may take the job eventually because hes the better talent and was drafted to do so. But Shannahan has not been a big RBBC guy in his career. His RBs were absolutely snake bitten in denver his last few years. Hell he had 6 rbs go on IR his last year there.

standard_variance
Starter
Starter

Postby standard_variance » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:06 am

Ever since Clinton Portis left him in Denver Shanahan has been looking for a franchise back and needless to say he has not yet found one.
"We must be keenly alive to the defects of our own faith also, yet not leave it on that account, but try to overcome those defects." -Ghandi

There is a difference between argument, and dogmatic assertion. Argument leaves room for change, and improvement, dogma only leaves room for acceptance.

In honor of Gino - "Strong Fantasy Quarterbacks are the cornerstone to any successful Dynasty team"

Mangelo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mangelo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:11 am

I guess that depends on how you look at it. He's never drafted a RB in the 1st round. He did try to sign a big free agent in Travis Henry, obviously that didn't work out. I think he goes low budget at the position most of the time because he believes in his system.

standard_variance
Starter
Starter

Postby standard_variance » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:21 am

Mangelo wrote:I guess that depends on how you look at it. He's never drafted a RB in the 1st round. He did try to sign a big free agent in Travis Henry, obviously that didn't work out. I think he goes low budget at the position most of the time because he believes in his system.
Clinton Portis was close....2nd round 19th pick....and he was the best he has ever had. Clearly what he is doing now isnt working.
"We must be keenly alive to the defects of our own faith also, yet not leave it on that account, but try to overcome those defects." -Ghandi

There is a difference between argument, and dogmatic assertion. Argument leaves room for change, and improvement, dogma only leaves room for acceptance.

In honor of Gino - "Strong Fantasy Quarterbacks are the cornerstone to any successful Dynasty team"

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:41 am

standard_variance wrote:
Mangelo wrote:I guess that depends on how you look at it. He's never drafted a RB in the 1st round. He did try to sign a big free agent in Travis Henry, obviously that didn't work out. I think he goes low budget at the position most of the time because he believes in his system.
Clinton Portis was close....2nd round 19th pick....and he was the best he has ever had. Clearly what he is doing now isnt working.
Really? TD?

standard_variance
Starter
Starter

Postby standard_variance » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:20 am

Lumps wrote:
standard_variance wrote:
Really? TD?
Sorry I havent been playing fantasy football for that long. I forgot he had TD before Portis but even then Portis produced MORE just with LESS touches than TD. If Portis had gotten 350, 370, and 400 carries like TD did he would have put up the same numbers maybe even better...but even with that said TD was only drafted in the 6th round. Coming out of college Portis was the highest drafted RB by a Shanahan run team. And I believe he was the only RB that had success after he left Shanahan's offense.....no other Shanahan RB can say that...not even TD.

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:52 pm

standard_variance wrote:
Lumps wrote:
standard_variance wrote: Clinton Portis was close....2nd round 19th pick....and he was the best he has ever had. Clearly what he is doing now isnt working.
Really? TD?
Sorry I havent been playing fantasy football for that long. I forgot he had TD before Portis but even then Portis produced MORE just with LESS touches than TD. If Portis had gotten 350, 370, and 400 carries like TD did he would have put up the same numbers maybe even better...but even with that said TD was only drafted in the 6th round. Coming out of college Portis was the highest drafted RB by a Shanahan run team. And I believe he was the only RB that had success after he left Shanahan's offense.....no other Shanahan RB can say that...not even TD.
WTF?????? Terrell Davis was on his way to a HOF career until he got hurt making a tackle on a brian griese pick. i can tell you haven,t been around FF that long but any football fan who saw TD would never speak of Portis in the same breath. Oh and Shanny also took tatum bell in the 2nd round. Shanny was ahead of the curve in RB draft trends. Most teams now dont draft RBs in the 1st round and of the ones that have some regret it. ie Denver, buffalo just to name a few.

lic217
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lic217 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:35 pm

MARKinMI wrote:
standard_variance wrote:
Lumps wrote: Really? TD?
WTF?????? Terrell Davis was on his way to a HOF career until he got hurt making a tackle on a brian griese pick. i can tell you haven,t been around FF that long but any football fan who saw TD would never speak of Portis in the same breath. Oh and Shanny also took tatum bell in the 2nd round. Shanny was ahead of the curve in RB draft trends. Most teams now dont draft RBs in the 1st round and of the ones that have some regret it. ie Denver, buffalo just to name a few.
I have been watching football for 20 plus years. Clinton Portis arguably was one of the top couple rbs in the league in his prime. TD was one of the top rbs I have ever seen. Only behind Emmit, Barry, LT, Faulk. If you dont agree ask john elway

standard_variance
Starter
Starter

Postby standard_variance » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:44 pm

MARKinMI wrote:
standard_variance wrote:
Lumps wrote: Really? TD?

Im not taking anything away from TDavis...but the objective point Im trying to establish was that A) TDavis was a special player in Denver under Shanahan's great run scheme and B) he had 1343 carries-5288 rush yards-56 TD's in 47 games (4 seasons) = 330 carries a year (237, 345, 369, 392) @ 4.75 ypc. Thats unheard of nowadays. Last person to get that many carries at that rate is CJ 358 @ 5.6 ypc, and the next closest is Michael Turner 376 @ 4.5 ypc, and then Larry Johnson 416 @ 4.2 ypc.
If you look at Portis' numbers they were identical in quality to TDavis' and Chris Johnson's, only difference being is the quantity of carries..thats an undeniable fact. In Portis' 2 seasons with Denver he had 563 carries-3100 yards-29 TD's in 29 games=280 carries a year (273, and 290) at 5.5 ypc....Im not saying Portis is NEARLY as accomplished as TD is....but statistically, as a player he certainly seems just as capable. I dont see anybody else in Shanahans offense replicating what Portis and TD have done....and I have seen numerous RB's leave Shanahans offense and fail miserably. Portis and TD were both special players in a great scheme.