Hope for a Turnaround or Is it Over? (Detailed post)

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hope for a Turnaround or Is it Over? (Detailed post)

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:02 pm

Team 1 in sig

8 Team 0.5 PPR
2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 FLEX, 1 TE, 1 D, 1 K
2019-20 Champion
QB: Watson, Roethlisberger
RB: Zeke, CEH
WR: AJ Brown (Out), Sutton (IR), McLaurin
FLEX: Chark, Jonathan Taylor
TE: Kittle (Out)
D: Steelers
K: Gould

Bench
QB: Daniel Jones, Darnold, Jordan Love
RB: Swift, Sony, Cohen, Myles Gaskin, Damien Harris (IR)
WR: Diontae, Gallup, Pittman, Anthony Miller, Mims, Bryan Edwards, Parris Campbell (Out), TreQuan Smith, Mooney, Gabe Davis, Quintez Cephus
TE: Hockenson, Gesicki

Team just dropped to 0-2 with both losses coming by a combined 12 points, but is starting to get overwhelmed with injuries and hasn't really put up very high scores despite being close due to some poor start decisions (benching Campbell week 1 but starting him when he gets hurt in the first quarter week 2, Hock over Gesicki last week, seeing ATL as the opponent and starting Gallup over Chark)

2/3 top WRs out--one for the season and one for a while, Kittle missing last week but have gotten some expected gifts too (JT being the sole back in Indy to pair with Zeke/CEH, Ben being back, Diontae looking like a breakout, finding possible future value in some waiver wire darts

Looking to add Mike Davis off waivers and should be able to thanks to my 0-2 record

Is it time to throw the towel on the season, make a win now move or just hold?

I am favored to win by about 9 last week but was narrowly favored for each of two close losses as well.

Never been 0-2 before, especially as a defending champ and may even have to start a Mike Davis flier next week at FLEX assuming AJB can't suit up (and maybe even if he does)

Is this selling time?

With Saquon and CMC and out though (both belonging to the top two contenders respectively), the trade value of Zeke might be at an all time high though?

Is it time to cash out and punt the year?

Of picks, I don't own my 1st--someone else's 1st that is likely to be the 1.01/1.02 (unless I totally bottom out), my 2nd, someone else's 2nd, someone else's 3rd and my 4th

Thoughts?

It's long but appreciate any help

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Hope for a Turnaround or Is it Over? (Detailed post)

Postby M-Dub » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:25 pm

Tough call. It’s hard to see that team being a serious contender in an 8-team league, but I guess you won it all last year, so who knows? As you pointed out, you’re not the only one dealing with the injury bug right now. I’d probably let it play out for a couple more weeks. If you’re sitting at 0-4, then yeah, it’s probably time to call it a day, but if you can get back to .500, then you’re right back in the mix. No sense in overreacting.

It might be worth at least reaching out to the Saquon and CMC owners and see what they’d be willing to offer for Zeke. Just be honest. Tell them you’re on the fence right now, but to at least touch base with you before they sell one of those guys.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:02 am

M-Dub wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:25 pm Tough call. It’s hard to see that team being a serious contender in an 8-team league, but I guess you won it all last year, so who knows? As you pointed out, you’re not the only one dealing with the injury bug right now. I’d probably let it play out for a couple more weeks. If you’re sitting at 0-4, then yeah, it’s probably time to call it a day, but if you can get back to .500, then you’re right back in the mix. No sense in overreacting.

It might be worth at least reaching out to the Saquon and CMC owners and see what they’d be willing to offer for Zeke. Just be honest. Tell them you’re on the fence right now, but to at least touch base with you before they sell one of those guys.
There are other fringe contenders offering deals around Miles Sanders or Dobbins (with a 1st in the 4-6 overall range and some more attached to either) as well

As for Zeke vs Saquon and CMC, what would you put the value difference between Zeke and one of those at

Would it be crazy to ask for something tacked on to one of them for Zeke?

Right now he might be the only 25 points a game lock RB out there (maybe Jones/Kamara become that but as of now)

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:19 am

You never know. All you have to do is make the playoffs in fantasy and then anything can happen. That being said, I don't see that roster being a serious contender. It's also only the end of week 2, so who knows what craziness will continue to come.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:00 am

I think this is where you borrow Rodgers' famous R-E-L-A-X mantra.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:36 am

Lets take a quick look at your team:

8 Team 0.5 PPR

2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 FLEX, 1 TE, 1 D, 1 K

QB: Watson, Roethlisberger, Jones, Darnold, Love

you have 2 too many QBs here (but I'll give you a pass on Love for now). Value of QBs in an 8 team, 2 QB league is roughly the same as a 12 team 1QB. rostering 3 should be more than enough. How does your league value QBs? Do they think because its a 2QB league that they are incredibly valuable? If so I'm looking to move 1 QB to make up somewhere else.

RB: Zeke, CEH, JT, Swift, Michel, Cohen, Gaskin, Harris (IR)
Very nice group for 8 team, especially with that youth, love it. CEH and JT are easily startable this season. Swift not so much right now, but maybe towards the second half. Michel is probably a good start when the Pats are playing against a team with below average offense, probably not worth the play otherwise. Cohen I think is a solid depth piece. I would keep Zeke, CEH, JT, and swift unless you get a massive overpay, the rest you can trade.

WR: AJ Brown, Sutton (IR), McLaurin, Chark, Diontae, Gallup, Pittman, Miller, Mims, Edwards, Campbell, Smith, Mooney, Davis, Cephus
Well this is your problem group, and its not that its a bad group. The problem is you simply have a ton of depth and youth/potential and no studs. You need studs in an 8 teamer. I can see how you won last year with Brown, McLaurin, and Chark. But you need a WR1 on your team.

TE: Kittle, Hock, Gesicki
You have Kittle and 2 good backups, this position is all set.

D: Steelers
Possibly the best Defense this year. Great for this year, I'd start them every single week, I don't care who they play, they will get sacks. Can't wait to see them go up against the Ravens.

K: Gould
Who cares

Overall:
You have a great team here, but you need some luck to win a title simply because of your WRs. What I want to do with your team is package a QB of yours not named Watson and a WR for a WR upgrade. I'm prefectly fine trading away AJ Brown here too, though it may be a little late to do that. I'd specifically target teams that just lost either Jimmy G or Lock and see what you can do there. A lot will depend on how the rest of the league values WR.

If you aren't able to upgrade a WR, I think you are ultimately just going to have to stay the course. Your need isn't RB its WR.
Last edited by abloom on Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Dibbles
MVP
MVP

Postby Dibbles » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:41 am

moishetreats wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:00 am I think this is where you borrow Rodgers' famous R-E-L-A-X mantra.
This ^. It's week 2 and we have 15 more weeks of football left, literally anything can happen. I get trying to be honest and realistic about your chances, but (1) your team won it last year and (2) injuries are decimating everyone right now. Work the wire and look for trades to improve now, trying to claw back to 0.500 by say week 5-6. If the rails are still off at that point, you can jump into rebuild mode. Now is not the time.

dblj1199
GOAT
GOAT

Postby dblj1199 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:22 am

I would give it a few weeks. I'm 2-0 but still think I need to add to become a top contender. I'm not throwing everything in and going all in just yet. So I would be patient and give it a bit. If you were 4-0 and then lost 2 you wouldn't freak out, so your team is pretty stacked. Just be patient.
2015, 2017, 2022 Champ.
10 team, 6 pt all td, ppr, 1.5 te ppr. 30 man roster QB, SF, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, Flex (r/w/t), K, 3 IDP

Qb- Mahomes, Prudy, Baker
RB- S Barkley, Pollard, B Hall, K Herbert, D Foreman, R Johnson, Zeke, J Robinson, Z White, J Wilson(i.r.), J McKinnon, J Mason, J Hill
WR- J Jefferson, Deebo, DJ Moore, OBJ, S Moore, J Jennings, C Austin, Trey Palmer
TE- Andrews, Higbee, Dulchich, Ferguson, D Washington
IDP(3)- P Queen,D Perryman, J Jewell, J Campbell, N Dean (i.r.)
K- E McPherson, Butker

draft picks
2024- 2, 4, 5
2025- 3, 3, 4, 5