Justin Herbert Long Term

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: Herbert Soars

Postby ericanadian » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:48 am

bjd5211 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:44 am
ericanadian wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:28 am Glad to see Herbert do well. I had him as my top QB, but mostly due to major flaws in the other top QBs of this draft. Certainly, he’s still got a ways to go, but you couldn’t ask for much better of a start.
What major flaws do Burrow and Tua have (other than Tuas injuries) that Herbert doesn't have? Herberts only advantages over them as an individual player are size and arm strength, which are both overrated/overvalued traits, and post draft he probably has the best supporting cast around him for the immediate future of the 3. Herbert was impressive and much better than expected, but he's still far behind Burrow.
Tua has the hip injury and there was also some rumours swirling around that Alabama had to limit their playbook because he was struggling with pro concepts. His wonderlic score of 13 suggests that may be the case.

Burrow has nine inch hands and had inconsistent accuracy downfield outside the numbers. He was gifted one of the best offensive lines in recent memory and had loads of skill players to work with in a one year breakout after being thoroughly mediocre in his previous season.

Finally, both of these teams have second year coaches coming off awful seasons with little prospects for turning things around this season. Flores already fired both coordinators, so the prospect of coaching turnover in Miami was very high. Taylor has more rope, but the Bengals offensive performance was awful last year due largely to awful line play... which wasn’t really addressed in the offseason. I didn’t really like the job security for either offensive coordinator going into the season.

In LA, Lynn just brought in the new coordinator, who was an internal promotion, with a rookie QB and is one year removed from a 12-4 season. I see the Chargers as having enough talent to keep Lynn and Steichen employed.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:08 am

bjd5211 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:46 am
briank wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:37 am They are still saying Taylor is the starter. How can you go back to him after what you saw from Herbert?
The Browns said the same thing immediately after Baker came in and won his debut. Herbert is going to keep the job, and Lynn will absolutely lose his if he really does go back to Tyrod and they miss the playoffs.
Yeah, he wont be 100% next week (at least according to the team) and if Herbert doesn't embarrass himself, he will run away with the job from there.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:17 am

LSU's OL was not "one of the best in recent memory", they weren't even the best in the country last year, they were just elevated by the performance of the offense as a whole because most people just equate a great offense into meaning the OL was great too. Herbert had the best OL in CFB and the best individual O-lineman in recent memory in LT Penei Sewell.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:57 am

Was a big fan of Herbert coming into the league. Big, strong, mobile, athletic kid in the mold of Josh Allen with a bit better arm mechanics entering the league.

I figured development would be the word of the day with this kid so even I was surprised at just how good he played. He was calm like a vet and played like a fearless assassin.

I took him 1.6 before the NFL draft in a SF with no regrets and still glad I took him although it was really really close between Herbert, Ruggs, or CEH.

The Chargers look to have found their QB of the future. Kudos to the Chargers staff as well. He has already corrected a couple of minor throwing mechanics. His shoulder alignment to parallel looks like he has been doing it for years.

I was more impressed with his first game than any I have seen in a few years. Obviously a rookie so he will have up and down games but wow what a start against the best team in the league.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:03 am

Tyrod was named the starter when 100% healthy. That was Lynn's way of insulating himself. Tyrod can be 90% while he test drives Herbert next week. If he can drive again, Tryod will never be 100% fully healthy. If he falters, poof Tyrod is healthy. Just coach speak.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:44 am

murphysxm wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:03 am Tyrod was named the starter when 100% healthy. That was Lynn's way of insulating himself. Tyrod can be 90% while he test drives Herbert next week. If he can drive again, Tryod will never be 100% fully healthy. If he falters, poof Tyrod is healthy. Just coach speak.
Exactly. Tyrod is not going to be healthy this week, and if Herbert keeps doing good enough for a rookie Tyrod will never be healthy again.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:53 am

Clearly Herbert is the starter from here on out not even open for debate.

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:03 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:57 am Was a big fan of Herbert coming into the league. Big, strong, mobile, athletic kid in the mold of Josh Allen with a bit better arm mechanics entering the league.

I figured development would be the word of the day with this kid so even I was surprised at just how good he played. He was calm like a vet and played like a fearless assassin.

I took him 1.6 before the NFL draft in a SF with no regrets and still glad I took him although it was really really close between Herbert, Ruggs, or CEH.

The Chargers look to have found their QB of the future. Kudos to the Chargers staff as well. He has already corrected a couple of minor throwing mechanics. His shoulder alignment to parallel looks like he has been doing it for years.

I was more impressed with his first game than any I have seen in a few years. Obviously a rookie so he will have up and down games but wow what a start against the best team in the league.
I also pegged him as a more accurate Josh Allen. He certainly reinforced that yesterday.
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan

QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

RB Harris/Etienne
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:26 pm

^ I'm with the above posters who envisioned Herbert as an accurate Josh Allen, so I invested in that ceiling in a main SF league, but man am I surprised at how ready he looked. My evaluation had him as someone who should sit the whole year to develop.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

zeeshan2
Captain
Captain

Postby zeeshan2 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:38 pm

Chargers coach Anthony Lynn said Tyrod Taylor (ribs) gives the Chargers "the best chance to win."

"I know we can win with either quarterback," Lynn said, "but the veteran quarterback right now gives us the best chance to win. It’s not like we won the damn game yesterday. We lost last time I checked.” Herbert was impressive in his debut, completing 22-of-33 passes for 311 yards while breathing life into an offense that appeared dreadful in Week 1, but Lynn is clearly having none of it.
https://twitter.com/JeffMillerLAT/statu ... 3037458433

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:46 pm

zeeshan2 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:38 pm
Chargers coach Anthony Lynn said Tyrod Taylor (ribs) gives the Chargers "the best chance to win."

"I know we can win with either quarterback," Lynn said, "but the veteran quarterback right now gives us the best chance to win. It’s not like we won the damn game yesterday. We lost last time I checked.” Herbert was impressive in his debut, completing 22-of-33 passes for 311 yards while breathing life into an offense that appeared dreadful in Week 1, but Lynn is clearly having none of it.
https://twitter.com/JeffMillerLAT/statu ... 3037458433
I think he's just getting the veteran treatment. They know he wont be healthy next week and if Herbert has another good week, it will be easy for him to walk back that statement. If Herbert looks bad next week, it's easier to go back to Tyrod without ruining the kids confidence.
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan

QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

RB Harris/Etienne
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:46 pm

ericanadian wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:48 am
ericanadian wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:28 am Glad to see Herbert do well. I had him as my top QB, but mostly due to major flaws in the other top QBs of this draft. Certainly, he’s still got a ways to go, but you couldn’t ask for much better of a start.
What major flaws do Burrow and Tua have (other than Tuas injuries) that Herbert doesn't have? Herberts only advantages over them as an individual player are size and arm strength, which are both overrated/overvalued traits, and post draft he probably has the best supporting cast around him for the immediate future of the 3. Herbert was impressive and much better than expected, but he's still far behind Burrow.
Tua has the hip injury and there was also some rumours swirling around that Alabama had to limit their playbook because he was struggling with pro concepts. His wonderlic score of 13 suggests that may be the case.

Burrow has nine inch hands and had inconsistent accuracy downfield outside the numbers. He was gifted one of the best offensive lines in recent memory and had loads of skill players to work with in a one year breakout after being thoroughly mediocre in his previous season.

Finally, both of these teams have second year coaches coming off awful seasons with little prospects for turning things around this season. Flores already fired both coordinators, so the prospect of coaching turnover in Miami was very high. Taylor has more rope, but the Bengals offensive performance was awful last year due largely to awful line play... which wasn’t really addressed in the offseason. I didn’t really like the job security for either offensive coordinator going into the season.

In LA, Lynn just brought in the new coordinator, who was an internal promotion, with a rookie QB and is one year removed from a 12-4 season. I see the Chargers as having enough talent to keep Lynn and Steichen employed.
Just FYI that wonderlic score was incorrectly reported, he got a 19 at the combine, not great either way but it does look a lot better.

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:50 pm

AussieMate wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:46 pm

Just FYI that wonderlic score was incorrectly reported, he got a 19 at the combine, not great either way but it does look a lot better.
People actually think that wonderlic scores are meaningful?
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan

QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

RB Harris/Etienne
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:52 pm

briank wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:50 pm

Duhh, Lamar Jackson had a 13. What a bust

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:59 pm

briank wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:50 pm

I don't personally, just correcting the narrative before it grows again.