Diggs Value Debate

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Diggs Value

Increase
67%
Decrease
33%

Total votes: 33

McCafsteez
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Diggs Value Debate

Postby McCafsteez » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:21 am

The Godwin Complex wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:11 pm
McCafsteez wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:13 pm First off, you are bringing stats from almost two decades ago trying to make them relevant.
I literally gave you 16 seasons of data up leading up to the current moment to establish a trend to support the fact that the Bills are and have historically been a running team. (The Vikings have also historically been a running team).

But let me give you some more irrelevant data since you seem to really enjoy it.....

The Bills Ranking In Pass Attempts since 2004. The Bolded Years are the years the Bills actually had a 1000 yard receiver
2004: 27th
2005: 26th
2006: 31st
2007: 30th
2008: 24th
2009: 31st
2010: 19th
2011: 10th
2012: 23rd

2013: 24th
2014: 13th
2015: 31st
2016: 32nd
2017: 31st
2018: 28th
2019: 24th - John Brown
2020: ?????

The question is whether or not Diggs’ value has increased...it has not. He has gone from being the guy in an OK situation in Minnesota, to being the number 2 in an OK situation in Buffalo.
McCafsteez wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:13 pm My point is, your tone makes it seem like Buffalo has zero chance of WR production when historically, they have a WR every other year produce pretty good FF numbers
Oh, really? My tone said that when my words said this?
The Godwin Complex wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:55 am Look at how many Bills WRs have hit 1000 yards in the past 20 years - I think its 50% or less.
Look, believe what you WANT to believe. But my point is...not only is there a 50/50 chance that there will NOT be a 1000 receiver in Buffalo, but additionally there is a chance that EVEN IF THERE IS a 1000 yard receiver - that it won’t be Diggs. It would likely be John Brown, the guy who produced 1000 yards last year. So for Diggs value to INCREASE he would have to somehow transcend his average production of 73-920-6 in 14 games alongside another WR on a historically average passing team. In order to do so a few things need to happen.

1) he has to stay healthy
2) He would have to get as many targets or more than John Brown (115+ and where are those targets going to come from? :think: )
3) Buffalo would have to throw more, and probably be top 10 in passing attempts (didn’t they just draft a RB? :think:)
4) The Bills would then have to do something rare......potentially have 2 - 1000 yard WRs.

Sorry, that’s just not a smart bet. You can close your eyes and bet blindly all you want. Numerically its just not in his favor without John Brown there, but especially with John Brown there. And even if by a long shot he does exceed past production....it won’t be by much at all. There’s no information that anyone has that points to an increase in value or production besides the hope and belief that the Bills are going to magically allow a sudden be a top passing team. Since when?
No...the first set of statistics you brought up had absolutely nothing to do with how often the Bills run the ball the past 16 seasons. You provided statistics of their leading WR each year. That had nothing to do with them historically being a run first team.

The passing statistics you just provided shows that they can produce 1,000 yard WR even without maximum pass attempts. You just talked yourself into a loop. This just shows me that Diggs has a shot to hit 1,000 yards even with minimum pass attempts.

I am not quite sure where you got the stigma that Diggs will be the WR 2 in Buffalo behind Brown? You are discounting the fact that they have a WR who breaks 1,000 yards every other year. I'd also argue that this is one of the best offenses they have had in a long time which will prop up statistics. The Bills will also want to preserve their franchise QB and have him throw the ball more. Josh Allen had 46 pass attempts with 33 completions (71.17%) and 312 passing yards in week 1. Stop making it seem like it is impossible to have a good season as a WR in Buffalo.

Week 1:
Brown: 6 / 10 70 yards (on pace for 1,120 receiving yards)
Diggs: 8 / 9 - 86 yards (on pace for 1,376 receiving yards)
*Granted I know a lot can change in a season and it's way to early to project season outcomes after week one.

In week 1 last season, Diggs recorded 2 / 2 for only 37 yards INSIDE at Minnesota.

Diggs has a great shot at production in Buffalo. He is without Cook and Thielen making him on an offense where he will be targeted more. Bottom line is I truly feel Diggs gets an increase in value being on the Bills. The offense is gaining traction quickly and he will have a shot at some great production.

The tone you are using is that you are automatically right and know everything: "Sorry no Wide Receiver will ever be better playing outside in Buffalo than inside in Minnesota. Especially if they rely on speed. Its just fact." I am willing to bet there is a list of WRs who played better in a game outside in Buffalo rather than inside at Minnesota since 2016. But, I understand your point that the conditions are obviously a lot better playing indoors. It's just too early and wrong to say that it's just facts, but carry on.
The Other Woman Dynasty League - 12 Team PPR (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex)
QB: Herbert, Lance, Stafford
RB: Bijan, Hall, Cook, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Adams, Hill, Hopkins, Robinson
TE: Waller, Engram
-
You’re in this for Life - 12 Team 0.5 PPR
(QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, TE, 3 Flex)

QB: Fields, Young, Richardson, Smith
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, A. Jones
WR: Metcalf, JSN, Addison, Q. Johnston, Mingo, Rice
TE: Kincaid, Mayer, Gesicki
2024 Picks - (x3) 1sts
-
Dynasty Addiction - 12 Team PPR /SF (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex, SF)
QB: Lawrence, Fields
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Etienne, Walker
WR: AJ Brown, Godwin, Bateman
TE: Kittle

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:19 am

McCafsteez wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:21 am
No...the first set of statistics you brought up had absolutely nothing to do with how often the Bills run the ball the past 16 seasons. You provided statistics of their leading WR each year. That had nothing to do with them historically being a run first team.
Since you don’t like doing your homework I did it all for you.

Here’s more irrelevant data since you seem to really enjoy it.....

The Bills Ranking In Rush Attempts and Pass Attempts since 2004.
The Bolded Years are the years the Bills actually had a 1000 yard receiver
2004: 9th rush, 27th pass
2005: 20th rush, 26th pass
2006: 25th rush, 31st pass
2007: 12th rush, 30th pass
2008: 13th rush, 24th pass
2009: 21st rush, 31st pass
2010: 25th rush, 19th pass
2011: 27th rush, 10th pass
2012: 13th rush, 23rd pass

2013: 1st rush, 24th pass
2014: 20th rush, 13th pass
2015: 2nd rush, 31st pass
2016: 2nd rush, 32ndpass
2017: 4th rush, 31st pass
2018: 6th rush, 28th pass
2019: 8th rush, 24th pass

Like I said, they have historically been a rushing team. That’s not my opinion. That’s just Buffalo.
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"
⛳️Jaguars will finish 11-6 and make the playoffs
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
START: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 3 FLEX, 1 SUPERFLEX
ROSTER STARTERS
QB: S. Darnold (CAR)
RB: J. Jacobs (LV), L. Fournette (TB)
WR: Cooper (DAL), Ridley (ATL), M. Williams (LAC)
TE: R. Seals-Jones (WAS), M. Alie-Cox (IND)
FLEX: Sutton (DEN), J. Smith-Schuster (PIT), D. Harris (NE)
SUPERFLEX: M. Jones (NE)

BENCH:
QB: Rudolph (PIT), Book (NO), Minshew (PHL), Stidham (NE)
RB: Cord. Patterson (ATL), A. Collins (SEA), D. Dallas (SEA), K. Vaughn (TB), JJ Taylor (NE), S. Perine (CIN)
WR: M. Jones (JAX), Zaccheus (ATL), G. Olszewski (NE)
TE: B. Jarwin (DAL), D. Asiasi (NE)
IR: Tre' Q. Smith (NO), Tyrod Taylor (HOU), Chark Jr (JAX), R. Penny (SEA)

McCafsteez
All Pro
All Pro

Postby McCafsteez » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:35 am

The Godwin Complex wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:19 am
Since you don’t like doing your homework I did it all for you.

Here’s more irrelevant data since you seem to really enjoy it.....

The Bills Ranking In Rush Attempts and Pass Attempts since 2004.
The Bolded Years are the years the Bills actually had a 1000 yard receiver
2004: 9th rush, 27th pass
2005: 20th rush, 26th pass
2006: 25th rush, 31st pass
2007: 12th rush, 30th pass
2008: 13th rush, 24th pass
2009: 21st rush, 31st pass
2010: 25th rush, 19th pass
2011: 27th rush, 10th pass
2012: 13th rush, 23rd pass

2013: 1st rush, 24th pass
2014: 20th rush, 13th pass
2015: 2nd rush, 31st pass
2016: 2nd rush, 32ndpass
2017: 4th rush, 31st pass
2018: 6th rush, 28th pass
2019: 8th rush, 24th pass

Like I said, they have historically been a rushing team. That’s not my opinion. That’s just Buffalo.
I don't think we are understanding each other. I am not denying they are a run first franchise nor have I said they weren't. I was just pointing out that the data you originally provided supported a WR breaking 1,000 yards rather than showing they are a run first franchise.

Let's just call it this debate to an end and just appreciate the conversation we had. Thanks
-

2024 Picks - (x3) 1sts
-

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:39 am

The passing statistics you just provided shows that they can produce 1,000 yard WR even without maximum pass attempts. You just talked yourself into a loop. This just shows me that Diggs has a shot to hit 1,000 yards even with minimum pass attempts.

I am not quite sure where you got the stigma that Diggs will be the WR 2 in Buffalo behind Brown? You are discounting the fact that they have a WR who breaks 1,000 yards every other year. I'd also argue that this is one of the best offenses they have had in a long time which will prop up statistics.
I never said that the Bills COULDNT produce a 1000 yard receiver. That was your interpretation of what I said. My goal was to point out that its UNLIKELY for Diggs value to INCREASE based on the trends and current circumstances in Buffalo. I didnt say it was impossible. If John Brown wasn’t there I would give him a 50/50 chance - probably higher since i actually like him as a WR. Where do I get the idea that John Brown is the 1a? He was Josh Allens 1a last year. I agree that they will be a better passing team than usual, and like I said I actually like Diggs as a player. However, objectively I just dont see Buffalo changing that dramatically that Diggs’ value will increase based on what we have seen him do.

63-1100-6
102-1021-9
64-849-8
84-903-3

I dont see more than 80 catches, I see 1000 yards being a struggle, and the TDs I can see leveling off around 7 or 8. None of those numbers are going up IMO and thats what this entire conversation is about. I’m not saying he is going to be fantasy irrelevant. I’m just drawing a line between what is grounded in reality and fantasy. The reality is he has done well in the past....and his situation isnt providing a higher ceiling. Its the same ceiling.
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
ROSTER STARTERS

BENCH:
RB: Cord. Patterson (ATL), A. Collins (SEA), D. Dallas (SEA), K. Vaughn (TB), JJ Taylor (NE), S. Perine (CIN)

McCafsteez
All Pro
All Pro

Postby McCafsteez » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:46 pm

The Godwin Complex wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:39 am

I am not quite sure where you got the stigma that Diggs will be the WR 2 in Buffalo behind Brown? You are discounting the fact that they have a WR who breaks 1,000 yards every other year. I'd also argue that this is one of the best offenses they have had in a long time which will prop up statistics.
I never said that the Bills COULDNT produce a 1000 yard receiver. That was your interpretation of what I said. My goal was to point out that its UNLIKELY for Diggs value to INCREASE based on the trends and current circumstances in Buffalo. I didnt say it was impossible. If John Brown wasn’t there I would give him a 50/50 chance - probably higher since i actually like him as a WR. Where do I get the idea that John Brown is the 1a? He was Josh Allens 1a last year. I agree that they will be a better passing team than usual, and like I said I actually like Diggs as a player. However, objectively I just dont see Buffalo changing that dramatically that Diggs’ value will increase based on what we have seen him do.

63-1100-6
102-1021-9
64-849-8
84-903-3

I dont see more than 80 catches, I see 1000 yards being a struggle, and the TDs I can see leveling off around 7 or 8. None of those numbers are going up IMO and thats what this entire conversation is about. I’m not saying he is going to be fantasy irrelevant. I’m just drawing a line between what is grounded in reality and fantasy. The reality is he has done well in the past....and his situation isnt providing a higher ceiling. Its the same ceiling.
They looked pretty good to me today :think: :wave:
-

2024 Picks - (x3) 1sts
-

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:06 pm

McCafsteez wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:46 pm

63-1100-6
102-1021-9
64-849-8
84-903-3

Wait until November/December......this isn’t about how good I think they are. We both probably agree on how good Allen and Diggs are. Heck, I think the Bills might win that division. My opinion is purely about playing in Buffalo in the winter time through snow and heavy winds. If it weren’t for that I would 100% be on the other side of believing Diggs’ value would ⬆️ (If he stays healthy).

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
ROSTER STARTERS

BENCH:

Fournetto
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Fournetto » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:03 pm

Already scooped up 239 yards in two games.
I can see a 90-1100-7 sort of season and that puts him right into the low end PPR WR1/WR2 category
8 Team 1 PPR

1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, DEF, K
QB: D. Brees, J. Goff
RB: A. Ekeler, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, M. Ingram, G. Edwards, L. Perine, T. Pollard, B. Hill, J. Jackson, T. Cohen (IR), Z. Moss (T).
WR: M. Thomas, J. Jones, C. Godwin, M. Evans, T. McLaurin, AJ. Green, T. Boyd, C. Sutton (IR), M. Williams, A. Miller, D. Slayton, T. Patrick, D. People's-Jones, N. Harry, J. Ross, G. Davis (T)
TE: Z. Ertz, J. Smith, E. Engram, D. Goedert
DST: TB
K: Y. Koo
2021: 1st, 1st, 1st
2022: 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th

McCafsteez
All Pro
All Pro

Postby McCafsteez » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:04 pm

The Godwin Complex wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:06 pm
McCafsteez wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:46 pm

63-1100-6
102-1021-9
64-849-8
84-903-3

Wait until November/December......this isn’t about how good I think they are. We both probably agree on how good Allen and Diggs are. Heck, I think the Bills might win that division. My opinion is purely about playing in Buffalo in the winter time through snow and heavy winds. If it weren’t for that I would 100% be on the other side of believing Diggs’ value would ⬆️ (If he stays healthy).
Fair enough, I respect that. He is already on pace to a way better season than last year inferring his value is/will increase. (Assuming they play well throughout cold weather)
-

2024 Picks - (x3) 1sts
-

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:51 pm

After two weeks, the change is a plus. Kirk Cousins looks awful without him, and Diggs is red red hot in Buffalo. Any argument that Buffalo is a run first team, is irrelevant if Diggs is getting ~10 targets a game.
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Kupp, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:12 pm

gogobradyarm wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:51 pm After two weeks, the change is a plus. Kirk Cousins looks awful without him, and Diggs is red red hot in Buffalo. Any argument that Buffalo is a run first team, is irrelevant if Diggs is getting ~10 targets a game.
Off topic, but Cousins' struggles have nothing to do with Diggs being gone. It's the defense & o-line that's hurting him.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Mtt33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Mtt33 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:00 pm

Calling Diggs the #2 because john brown got x targets last year and diggs would have to get x targets that didn’t exist in last years offense makes my head spin. John Brown was the #1 last year, he’s a poor #1. Diggs is better than brown. Brown is now the #2, he’s a solid #2. Stop trying to transfer targets, talent demands more targets and a better offense creates more overall opportunity.

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:14 am

I know if has only been 2 weeks so a small sample size, but Diggs value has for sure gone up so far. He is the clear #1 on his team and so far Diggs and Josh Allen have looked good together. We will see if it holds up in the snowy weather, but a WR likes Diggs with his balance seems like the perfect type of WR to take a slant pass and make defenders slip on a snowy/icy field.

Yesterday Diggs had 152 receiving yards while the Viking had 113 total passing yards...

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:54 am

I think we can all agree that the situation is better. However, I think what some of us are not agreeing on is how that will translate into actual numbers. If we feel better about the situation, but his numbers dont change, does the value increase? In my mind - no. But maybe some of you disagree?

Ok, maybe this is a more relevant way to make my point. The best season by a WR from the Bills in almost 15 years is Lee Evans, who was arguably just as talented as Diggs and is probably the level of production Diggs will look to achieve or exceed this year.

2006: Lee Evans (on 138 targets) 82-1292-8.
8 Games in Buffalo: 36-501-3
8 Games Away: 46-791-5

I love Diggs, I love Allen, I love the Bills. Heck I love the city and the fans personally. Soak it all in while you can....just plan to have a quality backup for tough matchups on the road, and late fall/winter in Buffalo.....during the fantasy playoffs.

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
ROSTER STARTERS

BENCH:

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:18 am

The question is whether or not Diggs’ value has increased...it has not. He has gone from being the guy in an OK situation in Minnesota, to being the number 2 in an OK situation in Buffalo.

This is an awful take. He is going from being at best the 1B for a Minnesota team that is run first and has a below average QB, to being the guy and clear 1 for an emerging offense with an emerging QB.

I will grant you that weather will play a role, but are you avoiding Davanta Adams because of it? Buffalo has been a defense 1st team that runs alot because their QB's have sucked. Allen (atleast against lower end defenses)has shown he can perfom and move the offense through the air when needed.

He was under utilized and disgruntled in Minnesota, I dont believe that will occur in Buffalo, needle up for me.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:06 am

murphysxm wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:18 am

This is an awful take. He is going from being at best the 1B for a Minnesota team that is run first and has a below average QB, to being the guy and clear 1 for an emerging offense with an emerging QB.

I will grant you that weather will play a role, but are you avoiding Davanta Adams because of it? Buffalo has been a defense 1st team that runs alot because their QB's have sucked. Allen (atleast against lower end defenses)has shown he can perfom and move the offense through the air when needed.

He was under utilized and disgruntled in Minnesota, I dont believe that will occur in Buffalo, needle up for me.
Time will tell. I’m not sure if I would equate GB weather to Buffalo weather. Geographically Buffalo is smack dab between 2 lakes so its weather patterns (like wind) are more severe and erratic than GB whose stadium borders a small pan handle of Lake Michigan. If I had to compare a team I would probably say Chicago weather is a closer example to Buffalo because their stadium borders a larger portion of Lake Michigan so the weather (and wind) patterns that come from that as a result are stronger and more impactful than in Green Bay (though they have it worse than many teams). These small details make a huge difference come winter time though.

So in short, no I do not consider this as heavily with Davante Adams A) for the reason above and B) because when was the last time the Packers threw less than the Bills? I’m not saying that cant or wont happen this year. I will again reiterate the question, is the uptick in value a reflection of how much better we feel about Diggs situation? Or is it a reflection of what we believe will translate into better year over year results? If you feel better about Diggs and he scores the same amount of points...wouldnt that be disappointing? :think:

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
ROSTER STARTERS

BENCH: