The Joe Burrow Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

The Joe Burrow Thread

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:28 pm

After 2 games, I'm impressed. Seems he'll have a few rushing yards weekly, too. It's still early, but he's showing the command necessary to be a good NFL QB. I think he could be a top 5 Dynasty QB by the end of the year. I predicted back end QB1 numbers this year. High end QB2 at worst. In a Dynasty context, how many QB's will go ahead of him next year?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: The Joe Burrow Thread

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:41 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:28 pm After 2 games, I'm impressed. Seems he'll have a few rushing yards weekly, too. It's still early, but he's showing the command necessary to be a good NFL QB. I think he could be a top 5 Dynasty QB by the end of the year. I predicted back end QB1 numbers this year. High end QB2 at worst. In a Dynasty context, how many QB's will go ahead of him next year?
He went 10th overall and was the 6th QB taken in a recent SF startup I did right before the season. 10th overall was a bit rich for my blood, but QB6 is pretty much right around where I would value him.

Mahomes
Lamar
Watson
Wilson
Kyler

Those are the only QBs I would definitely draft over him or refuse to trade straight up for him.

AlPal&Ange
All Pro
All Pro

Postby AlPal&Ange » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:11 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:41 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:28 pm After 2 games, I'm impressed. Seems he'll have a few rushing yards weekly, too. It's still early, but he's showing the command necessary to be a good NFL QB. I think he could be a top 5 Dynasty QB by the end of the year. I predicted back end QB1 numbers this year. High end QB2 at worst. In a Dynasty context, how many QB's will go ahead of him next year?
He went 10th overall and was the 6th QB taken in a recent SF startup I did right before the season. 10th overall was a bit rich for my blood, but QB6 is pretty much right around where I would value him.

Mahomes
Lamar
Watson
Wilson
Kyler

Those are the only QBs I would definitely draft over him or refuse to trade straight up for him.
I'n a rebuild before this year, I traded Russ straight up for him in a SF. Being able to run the 2 min offense this efficiently in college, and as in the first two weeks, shows his ability to process quickly. His rushing/ ( sneaky scrambling) ability puts him as a QB1 this year, especially with the ineptitude of the O-line and D.

He'll be in the same group as Kyler and Waston next year.

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:58 pm

Mahomes
Lamar
Watson
Wilson
Kyler

This is exactly my ranking as well, and I could honestly see Burrows ending up as high as 3rd or 4th qb a year from now (and I say this having him nowhere, sadly).

I watched every snap of his first two games and I'm most impressed by his poise and comman presence for a rookie. I know it's been mentioned before, but still - he was hit many a time in both games, and put into high-pressure situations over and over again, and yet just got up and continued doing his thing - impressive.

The coaching staff has also proven how much faith they have in him already, going for it on 4th down numerous times even when it wasn't strictly necessary.

I know it's still a long way to go, but if he keeps showing what he did these first two games then I am a believer, and I am buying in sf even at the I'm sure very high price he is already demanding.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:00 pm

Mahomes
Lamar
Watson
Wilson
Kyler

In a vacuum, I'd take Burrow over Kyler. Kyler's value is higher right now, so I'd take Kyler and try and get Burrow plus. I've felt since I watched all of LSU's games this off season during the lockdown, that he's a better prospect than Kyler coming out of college. Kyler will have the rushing edge, but Burrow has already shown a nice rushing floor, and I think he'll be the better passer when all is said and done, and will make up the difference there.

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:59 am

I've been a believer for 11 months but he took too many big shots in college and took way too many big shots Thursday. Firmly QB7 but I am concerned for those shoulders.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:18 am

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:58 pm I watched every snap of his first two games and I'm most impressed by his poise and comman presence for a rookie. I know it's been mentioned before, but still - he was hit many a time in both games, and put into high-pressure situations over and over again, and yet just got up and continued doing his thing - impressive.

The coaching staff has also proven how much faith they have in him already, going for it on 4th down numerous times even when it wasn't strictly necessary.
I liked this aspect of it too, but would say it's less outright that they "trust" him to make the big play on 4th down - and more that they are playing with house money this year. They're not going to win the Superbowl - much less just the AFC North.

As of such, there is literally no downside to throwing him out there on 4th down - sink-or-swim style - and seeing what he can do. These are the kind of NFL reps that will prove hugely valuable for Joe's development in Year 1.

Besides, ain't nobody cheering to see Randy Bullock pull another hammy :lol:

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:28 am

Krypto_King wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:59 am I've been a believer for 11 months but he took too many big shots in college and took way too many big shots Thursday. Firmly QB7 but I am concerned for those shoulders.
Yeah, he needs to avoid some of those. That sack by Richardson, for example. Don't try a spin move on a DT. Throw it away.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:53 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:00 pm

Mahomes
Lamar
Watson
Wilson
Kyler

In a vacuum, I'd take Burrow over Kyler. Kyler's value is higher right now, so I'd take Kyler and try and get Burrow plus. I've felt since I watched all of LSU's games this off season during the lockdown, that he's a better prospect than Kyler coming out of college. Kyler will have the rushing edge, but Burrow has already shown a nice rushing floor, and I think he'll be the better passer when all is said and done, and will make up the difference there.
I definitely think Burrow is the better actual player than Kyler, but Kyler is in a better situation and has a slightly better skillset for fantasy. Burrow can make things happen with his legs no doubt, but Kyler is probably going to score more fantasy points with his legs than any QB not named Lamar Jackson. I'm a big fan of both guys though.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:56 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:28 am
Krypto_King wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:59 am I've been a believer for 11 months but he took too many big shots in college and took way too many big shots Thursday. Firmly QB7 but I am concerned for those shoulders.
Yeah, he needs to avoid some of those. That sack by Richardson, for example. Don't try a spin move on a DT. Throw it away.
I think he'll grow out of those kind of plays, he's just so competitive he refuses to accept defeat even on a single play. Pretty much all of his mistakes so far have come on plays where he's just trying too hard and attempting to make something out of nothing.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:59 am

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:53 am

Mahomes
Lamar
Watson
Wilson
Kyler

I definitely think Burrow is the better actual player than Kyler, but Kyler is in a better situation and has a slightly better skillset for fantasy. Burrow can make things happen with his legs no doubt, but Kyler is probably going to score more fantasy points with his legs than any QB not named Lamar Jackson. I'm a big fan of both guys though.
Probably right. Really depends on how much Kyler runs, I suppose. I hate the way FF scores QB's, always have. I still think I prefer Burrow, long term.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:00 am

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:56 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:28 am
I think he'll grow out of those kind of plays, he's just so competitive he refuses to accept defeat even on a single play. Pretty much all of his mistakes so far have come on plays where he's just trying too hard and attempting to make something out of nothing.
Yeah, he's really trying to do a bit too much at times, like that shovel pass week 1. He wouldn't have done that at LSU. He's just trying to make plays for his new team, and he's smart enough to learn that sometimes you need to throw the ball away, or just slide on a run, etc.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:41 pm

Mahomes
Lamar
Watson
Wilson
Kyler

This is why I can't seem to get Burrow anywhere in dynasty (being fortunate enough to have been really heavy on Jackson, Mahomes, and Watson the past 4 years also means it hasn't made sense to draft Burrow or Tua, but I digress). Kyler is younger than Burrow and was the QB8 last year. Would anybody here bet on Burrow being the QB8 or better this year? I say this as somebody who has two redraft shares of Burrow, and even I don't see it.

I suspect that if he's being valued as the QB6 right now(over Dak!), then this just isn't the time to buy.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:00 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:41 pm

Mahomes
Lamar
Watson
Wilson
Kyler

This is why I can't seem to get Burrow anywhere in dynasty (being fortunate enough to have been really heavy on Jackson, Mahomes, and Watson the past 4 years also means it hasn't made sense to draft Burrow or Tua, but I digress). Kyler is younger than Burrow and was the QB8 last year. Would anybody here bet on Burrow being the QB8 or better this year? I say this as somebody who has two redraft shares of Burrow, and even I don't see it.

I suspect that if he's being valued as the QB6 right now(over Dak!), then this just isn't the time to buy.
Sometimes you have to buy high if you want a guy at all. I understand not being willing to pay the price, though. I think Burrow will be a top 5 scoring QB in a few years, as long as they build an OL and keep weapons around him. I think Burrow will be a back end QB 1 this year, not top 8. Still like him as a player more than Kyler. If I was starting an NFL franchise, it's easily Burrow over Kyler, but for Fantasy, Kyler is better for now.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:45 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:00 pmKyler is better for now.
What's the scenario where Burrow is better later?
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF