blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Antonio Gibson rocket ship

Postby blemly » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:07 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:38 pm
blemly wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:35 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:31 pm
I just acquired him. My view on him doesn't change, though. I still view him as a 12-15 touch a game player.
What did you pay?
Akers, 2021 2nd, for Gibson 2022 first and 4th (SF/TE premium). Trying to stack up 2022 firsts, I now have 3. I am not a huge Akers fan, just got him at a reasonable price in an auction. About 60 percent of Swift, Dobbins, and half the price of CEH. One thing I do like about Gibson, is I think he will have a safe role. He may only be a COP/receiving back, but he can line up in the slot etc. His receiver skill set gives him a floor if he can't be a full time runner, which I have my doubts about. Akers doesn't have that luxury. Akers showed a lot of issues for me Sunday night, I don't see him being a lead back this year.
Oh, wow. Akers had some issues, but it was his first NFL game. Kinda feels like you sold very, very low on him.
Team 1: 12-team SF 0.5 PPR:
QB: Dak, Russ, Stafford, Geno, Dalton
RB: Harris, Gibson, Chubb, Cohen
WR: DK, Ridley, Kirk, Chark, Woods, C Samuel, Shepard, Reagor
TE: Fant, Knox
Team 2: 14-team PPR SF TEP:
QB: Wilson, Burrow, Geno, Foles
RB: Mixon, Gibson, Hines, Cohen, Pollard
WR: DJM, Cooper, Sutton, Deebo, R. Moore, ARSB, Eskridge, Renfrow
TE: Gesicki, Njoku, Arnold
Team 3: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Watson, Lawrence, Winston, Cam
RB: Harris, Ekeler, Dobbins
WR: Hill, AJB, Woods, Chark, Lockett
TE: Gesicki, OJH, Firkser
Team 4: 12-team SF TEP Devy
QB: Wilson, Geno, Ryan, Cousins
RB: Zeke, Chubb, Sanders, Pollard, Hines, Cohen, Henderson
WR: Cooper, Godwin, Sutton, JuJu, Samuel, Fuller, Shepard, Campbell
TE: Fant, Gesicki, Ertz, Freiermuth
Devy: Boutte, Young, Slovis, Harris
Team 5: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Dak, Lance, Jones, Cam
RB: Swift, Sanders, Dobbins, Pollard
WR: Sutton, DJM, Golladay, Chase, Pittman, Kirk, Campbell, Mims, Wallace
TE: Herndon, Gesicki, Freiermuth

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:20 pm

blemly wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:07 pm
blemly wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:35 pm

What did you pay?
Akers, 2021 2nd, for Gibson 2022 first and 4th (SF/TE premium). Trying to stack up 2022 firsts, I now have 3. I am not a huge Akers fan, just got him at a reasonable price in an auction. About 60 percent of Swift, Dobbins, and half the price of CEH. One thing I do like about Gibson, is I think he will have a safe role. He may only be a COP/receiving back, but he can line up in the slot etc. His receiver skill set gives him a floor if he can't be a full time runner, which I have my doubts about. Akers doesn't have that luxury. Akers showed a lot of issues for me Sunday night, I don't see him being a lead back this year.
Oh, wow. Akers had some issues, but it was his first NFL game. Kinda feels like you sold very, very low on him.
Yeah, I'm just not a fan. It's a free league, so I'm OK with it. Reality is, Gibson and Akers value is pretty close now, since AP/Guice left. The draft capital was very similar, and both players had some warts coming into the league.

Don't want to derail the thread on the value of Akers vs Gibson, and you think I have bought high on Gibson. My point was, my view on Gibson is not predicated on not having him on my team, and a case of "sour grapes", or anything like that. I like the player, I just don't see him as a lead back, but I do see a 12-15 touch a game guy with big play ability, and a decent PPR floor with his skill set. I am fine with that, and in the off chance he turns into something more, great.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FFChamp
Rookie
Rookie

Postby FFChamp » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:23 pm

I prefer the Akers side of the deal....

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:26 pm

FFChamp wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:23 pm I prefer the Akers side of the deal....
All good.

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:46 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:20 pm

Yeah, I'm just not a fan. It's a free league, so I'm OK with it. Reality is, Gibson and Akers value is pretty close now, since AP/Guice left. The draft capital was very similar, and both players had some warts coming into the league.

Don't want to derail the thread on the value of Akers vs Gibson, and you think I have bought high on Gibson. My point was, my view on Gibson is not predicated on not having him on my team, and a case of "sour grapes", or anything like that. I like the player, I just don't see him as a lead back, but I do see a 12-15 touch a game guy with big play ability, and a decent PPR floor with his skill set. I am fine with that, and in the off chance he turns into something more, great.
Understand, I think I just might be higher on Akers is all.

Keeping the thread on track, I really think Gibson is a buy. Was very encouraged by his usage, as well as by how bad McKissic and Barber looked.
Team 1: 12-team SF 0.5 PPR:
QB: Dak, Russ, Stafford, Geno, Dalton
RB: Harris, Gibson, Chubb, Cohen
WR: DK, Ridley, Kirk, Chark, Woods, C Samuel, Shepard, Reagor
TE: Fant, Knox
Team 2: 14-team PPR SF TEP:
QB: Wilson, Burrow, Geno, Foles
RB: Mixon, Gibson, Hines, Cohen, Pollard
WR: DJM, Cooper, Sutton, Deebo, R. Moore, ARSB, Eskridge, Renfrow
TE: Gesicki, Njoku, Arnold
Team 3: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Watson, Lawrence, Winston, Cam
RB: Harris, Ekeler, Dobbins
WR: Hill, AJB, Woods, Chark, Lockett
TE: Gesicki, OJH, Firkser
Team 4: 12-team SF TEP Devy
QB: Wilson, Geno, Ryan, Cousins
RB: Zeke, Chubb, Sanders, Pollard, Hines, Cohen, Henderson
WR: Cooper, Godwin, Sutton, JuJu, Samuel, Fuller, Shepard, Campbell
TE: Fant, Gesicki, Ertz, Freiermuth
Devy: Boutte, Young, Slovis, Harris
Team 5: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Dak, Lance, Jones, Cam
RB: Swift, Sanders, Dobbins, Pollard
WR: Sutton, DJM, Golladay, Chase, Pittman, Kirk, Campbell, Mims, Wallace
TE: Herndon, Gesicki, Freiermuth

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:56 pm

blemly wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:46 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:20 pm

Understand, I think I just might be higher on Akers is all.

Keeping the thread on track, I really think Gibson is a buy. Was very encouraged by his usage, as well as by how bad McKissic and Barber looked.
Yeah. Although Barber is a solid back, who hits the right holes, and gets what is blocked, sometimes a yard or two more. I think it will be a committee all year. I actually don't want Gibson to be a lead back. I think he'd operate better as a committee player.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:08 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:56 pm I actually don't want Gibson to be a lead back. I think he'd operate better as a committee player.
Welcome aboard. I don’t quite get this sentiment and wonder if you wouldn’t mind fleshing it out. You’d prefer Gibson gets capped opportunities?

As to Gibson, just saw the All-22 on his carries and was pleased by his usage. I was under the impression from others that they weren’t running him between the tackles at all and that was not the case. Did okay for his first game against a pretty stout run D. He’s going to need to learn to ease up a bit approaching the line and see if his linemen can create a seam, but he sure didn’t look out of sorts. I was going to start Moss in a plus matchup but now I’m reconsidering, especially after WAS coaches have said this week that they intend to involve him more.

Gibson All-22

WAS line needs to learn to keep their pad level lower. PHI did a great job standing them straight up.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:23 am

I think it's a good deal. I'm not as high in Akers as everyone. Him going ahead of the top WR is a mistake. I'm not a huge Gibson believer either, but they are fairly close because of what FF mentioned. I think there's a good chance that 2022 1st is the most valuable part of that trade when it comes time for that draft.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:37 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:08 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:56 pm I actually don't want Gibson to be a lead back. I think he'd operate better as a committee player.
Welcome aboard. I don’t quite get this sentiment and wonder if you wouldn’t mind fleshing it out. You’d prefer Gibson gets capped opportunities?

As to Gibson, just saw the All-22 on his carries and was pleased by his usage. I was under the impression from others that they weren’t running him between the tackles at all and that was not the case. Did okay for his first game against a pretty stout run D. He’s going to need to learn to ease up a bit approaching the line and see if his linemen can create a seam, but he sure didn’t look out of sorts. I was going to start Moss in a plus matchup but now I’m reconsidering, especially after WAS coaches have said this week that they intend to involve him more.

Gibson All-22

WAS line needs to learn to keep their pad level lower. PHI did a great job standing them straight up.
Yes. As I stated already, I don't envision this player as a lead back. A Jacobs, or Zeke etc. Getting close to 20 carries a game. I'd prefer him to get less touches, and maintain efficiency, staying fresh, and not getting dinged up. An Ekeler type role (not this years Ekeler :boohoo: ). I'd prefer him to get 8-10 carries a game, and be used as a receinving option more, getting him into space, rather than having him operate as a bell cow, working between the tackles consistently. I believe that's what he's best suited for.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:45 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:37 am

Gibson All-22

Yes. As I stated already, I don't envision this player as a lead back. A Jacobs, or Zeke etc. Getting close to 20 carries a game. I'd prefer him to get less touches, and maintain efficiency, staying fresh, and not getting dinged up. An Ekeler type role (not this years Ekeler :boohoo: ). I'd prefer him to get 8-10 carries a game, and be used as a receinving option more, getting him into space, rather than having him operate as a bell cow, working between the tackles consistently. I believe that's what he's best suited for.
That’s an interesting take. All players get dinged up to one extent or another. Is there a reason you’d think his efficiency would drop significantly if he were to be dinged up a bit? He looks like he has the physique to sustain some workload. I don’t know a thing about his tolerance.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:53 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:45 am

Gibson All-22

That’s an interesting take. All players get dinged up to one extent or another. Is there a reason you’d think his efficiency would drop significantly if he were to be dinged up a bit? He looks like he has the physique to sustain some workload. I don’t know a thing about his tolerance.
Well, I just find it hard to believe a player that has never played the position can walk into the NFL and become what few who play the position in college can. I think it's very far fetched that he's an NFL work horse type player. He has done very well as a limited touch player, showing extreme efficiency and production as that. Obviously I'd like to see him get more than he did at Memphis, but I think it's more than just physique. So many players talk about getting hit is something that takes getting used to, and you build a callus, if you will. Not sure how he would handle it, but regardless of that, there is so much that goes into the position in order to command and deserve, and be able to handle a massive workload. He doesn't have the position down nearly well enough to be in that category, and I think it would take years to get to that point, if he ever does. RB, as I'm sure you know, isn't just, "here's the ball, run with it". I'd like to see him get touches that get him into space more than between the tackles, screens, etc.

I'd prefer him to excel in the passing game, catching 60-80 passes, and maybe getting 120-140 carries, once he's up to speed. This would probably be next years outlook, not this year, for me. I just feel that's the best outlook for his skill set. Learning RB in the pros is going to be a difficult task, and it's just not reasonable to think they are going to allow him to take his lumps at the expense of the team while he does it. I think a solid PPR RB 2 is what I'd expect from Gibson, and if he can get into the top half of that, I'd be very happy.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:59 am

Gibson side for me, a non-owner of either. I play exclusively PPR, so Gibson's receiving upside makes it an easy decision.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Murray, Prescott
RB | Jeff Wilson, Pierre-Strong
WR | Adams, Olave, ARSB, Dotson, Addison
TE | Andrews, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1st 2025 | 1stx3, 2nd, 3rdx2

10 Team | SF | PPR
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Murray, Tagovailoa, Stroud
RB | Montgomery, Swift, Dobbins, Singletary, Jamaal Williams, R. White, Davis-Price, Herbert, Miller
WR | Godwin, AJB, Lamb, D. Johnson, M. Brown, Mooney, Kirk, J. Williams, Skyy Moore, Watson
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1st, 2nd, 3rd

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert, Love, Young, Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, Ford, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Flowers, Collins, Downs
TE | Hockenson, Dulcich, Likely, Otton
2024 | 2nd, 3rdx3, 4th

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:15 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:53 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:45 am

Well, I just find it hard to believe a player that has never played the position can walk into the NFL and become what few who play the position in college can. I think it's very far fetched that he's an NFL work horse type player. He has done very well as a limited touch player, showing extreme efficiency and production as that. Obviously I'd like to see him get more than he did at Memphis, but I think it's more than just physique. So many players talk about getting hit is something that takes getting used to, and you build a callus, if you will. Not sure how he would handle it, but regardless of that, there is so much that goes into the position in order to command and deserve, and be able to handle a massive workload. He doesn't have the position down nearly well enough to be in that category, and I think it would take years to get to that point, if he ever does. RB, as I'm sure you know, isn't just, "here's the ball, run with it". I'd like to see him get touches that get him into space more than between the tackles, screens, etc.

I'd prefer him to excel in the passing game, catching 60-80 passes, and maybe getting 120-140 carries, once he's up to speed. This would probably be next years outlook, not this year, for me. I just feel that's the best outlook for his skill set. Learning RB in the pros is going to be a difficult task, and it's just not reasonable to think they are going to allow him to take his lumps at the expense of the team while he does it. I think a solid PPR RB 2 is what I'd expect from Gibson, and if he can get into the top half of that, I'd be very happy.
You keep alluding to his never having played RB, but I’ve found several clips of him lining up in the Memphis backfield, including interviews where he discusses his read on the D linemen as he approaches the first level. Numerous scouting reports also support that. That also means he got work in practice as a traditional RB. This is not completely new to him, and I thought it showed last week. Where did you get information that he’s never lined up as a traditional RB before?

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:23 am

The notion he can't play RB is perhaps the weakest argument out there. It is basically cover for " I don't like the player because he was never some Ron Dayne power back from yesteryear.

The fact remains he totaled 1104 yards with 12 TD's his last year running and receiving. While he only ran it 33 times he did average 11.2 yards with 4 TD's.

On top of that he added another 645 yards and a score in in the return game.

Somehow people now think a player that netted 1749 yards his last year in college with 13 TD's can't play because he doesn't fit into some RB Box....... REALLY......Wake up the game is changing. He was a significant weapon last year and RB, Pass Catching out of the backfield and out wide and in the return game.

Maybe he is a 1 year wonder or like Washington thinks, he is growing and maturing while learning to use his immense talent.

Time will tell but it is really weak thinking he can't play RB when he averaged 11.2 per carry. Thinking the jury isn't close to being out on this player.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:49 am

Ice wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:23 am The notion he can't play RB is perhaps the weakest argument out there. It is basically cover for " I don't like the player because he was never some Ron Dayne power back from yesteryear.

The fact remains he totaled 1104 yards with 12 TD's his last year running and receiving. While he only ran it 33 times he did average 11.2 yards with 4 TD's.

On top of that he added another 645 yards and a score in in the return game.

Somehow people now think a player that netted 1749 yards his last year in college with 13 TD's can't play because he doesn't fit into some RB Box....... REALLY......Wake up the game is changing. He was a significant weapon last year and RB, Pass Catching out of the backfield and out wide and in the return game.

Maybe he is a 1 year wonder or like Washington thinks, he is growing and maturing while learning to use his immense talent.

Time will tell but it is really weak thinking he can't play RB when he averaged 11.2 per carry. Thinking the jury isn't close to being out on this player.
He isnt Reggie Bush......and he is on the Washington Redskins....

The best argument I have seen for his fantasy relevance is if he consistently were to produce 60+ catches as a RB. That alone will make him relevant. Even with less than 150 rushes.
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"
⛳️Jaguars will finish 11-6 and make the playoffs
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
START: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 3 FLEX, 1 SUPERFLEX
ROSTER STARTERS
QB: S. Darnold (CAR)
RB: J. Jacobs (LV), L. Fournette (TB)
WR: Cooper (DAL), Ridley (ATL), M. Williams (LAC)
TE: R. Seals-Jones (WAS), M. Alie-Cox (IND)
FLEX: Sutton (DEN), J. Smith-Schuster (PIT), D. Harris (NE)
SUPERFLEX: M. Jones (NE)

BENCH:
QB: Rudolph (PIT), Book (NO), Minshew (PHL), Stidham (NE)
RB: Cord. Patterson (ATL), A. Collins (SEA), D. Dallas (SEA), K. Vaughn (TB), JJ Taylor (NE), S. Perine (CIN)
WR: M. Jones (JAX), Zaccheus (ATL), G. Olszewski (NE)
TE: B. Jarwin (DAL), D. Asiasi (NE)
IR: Tre' Q. Smith (NO), Tyrod Taylor (HOU), Chark Jr (JAX), R. Penny (SEA)