General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Sriracha
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Baker mayfield

Postby Sriracha » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:53 am

thebeast wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:31 am
Yeah, things don't look good for Baker. I'm not sure why a bunch of posters are making excuses to him. He likely has the best supporting cast in the league... The Browns surrounded him with OBJ, Landry, Hunt, and Hooper via trade and invested high draft picks into Chubb and the online. I don't think you could surround a young QB with better talent. I get he has a lot of coaching changes, but he is just overthrowing guys, throwing behind them, and just flat out looking bad. I don't know if he will turn it around, he seems to be overthinking everything, he's in his own head. I would likely trade him for a 2nd in the one league I own him, but not sure I could get that for him now.
Football isn't as simple as "insert big names, get good results". It's why so many teams that spend big on FA end up actually getting worse; think of the 2011 PHI Eagles "Dream team" that went 7-9.

Hooper was outproduced by Njoku in week 1

OBJ has been outproduced by Jarvis Landry, and has simply not played well going on 3 straight years (copious amounts of film reviews pretty much all say the same thing).

I get that CLE has at least tried to surround him with talent, which isn't something you could say about Sam Darnold.. but it's definitely not all on Baker. You're really underestimating how much bad coaching and a losing culture can sink a player's production -- remember that CLE went 3-13, 1-15, and 0-16 the three years prior to his arrival.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:19 am

Bronco Billy wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:22 am
I’ll be the contrarian here. It’s WAY too early to give up on Mayfield. He’s on now his 4th HC in just starting his 3rd year, including 2 of the worst and dumbest coaches in recent memories in that bunch. Despite that he showed some very real potential his rookie year in breaking the rookie TD record while not even playing a full season. Then last year he got an incredibly poor O line to go with the incredibly crappy HC and looked shell shocked early and often.
I'm not comparing them as players but I imagine people said similar things about Jameis (HC carousel, bad OL, etc)...there's no guarantee that those things improve to help Baker take a step forward. His tendencies might already be engrained at this point.

Just imagine all the guys that held onto a Winston or Bortles, and wished they could have gotten out when they had the chance. Selling Baker today is an immediate loss of value from where you drafted him in 2QB/SF leagues but better than nothing.
Trucking Through The Fantasy Mud, One Year At a Time.

12-Man, 0.5PPR, Superflex, Start 9
2016 - Runner Up
2017 - Champion
2018 - Champion
2019 - lol

Mahomes, Stafford, Lock, Mariota, Tyrod
Dobbins, D. Williams, Mostert, Kerryon, B. Hill, Hines, Love, Laird, Perine NYJ
Hopkins, Allen, Thielen, Mims, Cooks, Fitz, Perriman, Ross
Kelce, Kittle

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:13 pm

Whether it's fair or not, if Mayfield flames out against the Bengals tonight his value will absolutely tank. The opposite could be true if he can at least flash.

12-team SF, PPR, IDP
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Wilson, Brees, Minshew, Winston, Rosen
RB: J. Taylor, CEH, Ingram, Dillon, Penny, Henderson
WR: Metcalf, Woods, AJG, Kirk, Hardman, Isabella, Campbell, Hamler, JJAW
TE: Andrews, Njoku, Asiasi, Moreau, Trautman

DL: J. Bosa, JJ Watt, J. Allen, Ferrell, Epinesa, Houston
LB: T. Edmunds, Kendricks, Mosley, T. Lewis, A. Williamson
DB: J. Adams, K. Neal, Amos, McDougald, Thornhill

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:59 pm

Sriracha wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:53 am
thebeast wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:31 am
Yeah, things don't look good for Baker. I'm not sure why a bunch of posters are making excuses to him. He likely has the best supporting cast in the league... The Browns surrounded him with OBJ, Landry, Hunt, and Hooper via trade and invested high draft picks into Chubb and the online. I don't think you could surround a young QB with better talent. I get he has a lot of coaching changes, but he is just overthrowing guys, throwing behind them, and just flat out looking bad. I don't know if he will turn it around, he seems to be overthinking everything, he's in his own head. I would likely trade him for a 2nd in the one league I own him, but not sure I could get that for him now.
Football isn't as simple as "insert big names, get good results". It's why so many teams that spend big on FA end up actually getting worse; think of the 2011 PHI Eagles "Dream team" that went 7-9.

Hooper was outproduced by Njoku in week 1

OBJ has been outproduced by Jarvis Landry, and has simply not played well going on 3 straight years (copious amounts of film reviews pretty much all say the same thing).

I get that CLE has at least tried to surround him with talent, which isn't something you could say about Sam Darnold.. but it's definitely not all on Baker. You're really underestimating how much bad coaching and a losing culture can sink a player's production -- remember that CLE went 3-13, 1-15, and 0-16 the three years prior to his arrival.
But did you watch the game? His bad throws, of which there were a lot, don't have anything to do with coaching. I think surrounding guys with talent does have an effect, he doesn't have to throw into double coverage as much to target his studs as they are all studs in their primes. He has just gotten bad at throwing the ball for whatever reason. Let's see what tonight brings.
2017 Champion - DLF Hall of Fame League - 16 Team | 1 PPR | 1QB-2WR/2RB/1TE/2FL
2019 Reg. Season Champ & Runner Up - DLF Premium League - 16 Team | 1 PPR | 1QB-2WR/2RB/1TE/2FL

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:21 pm

3 coaches in 3 seasons. Not an ideal way to develop a QB.

blemly
Captain
Captain

Postby blemly » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:48 pm

It’s just one drive, but looked about as good as could be.
Team 1: 12-team 0.5 PPR/1.0 PP1D:
QB: Dak, Cousins, Darnold
RB: CMC, Mixon, Gibson, Guice, Freeman, Cohen, Coleman
WR: DK, Chark, Diontae, Samuel, Hollywood, Shepard, Mims
TE: Hurst, Albert O, Knox
2020: 1, 2

Team 2: 14-team PPR SF TE Prem:
QB: Wilson, Rivers, Foles, Mullens
RB: Mixon, Jacobs, Gibson, Hines, Guice
WR: DJM, Chark, Kupp, Landry, Renfrow
TE: Gesicki, Njoku

Team 3: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Watson, Rodgers, Cam
RB: Kamara, Jacobs, Dobbins, Hunt
WR: Hill, AJB, McLaurin, Woods, Perriman, Shenault
TE: Gesicki, OJH

Team 4 (Rebuild): 12-team PPR SF TE Prem
QB: Watson, Stafford
RB: Dobbins, Swift, Akers, Gibson
WR: Lamb, Diontae, Pittman, Mims, Shenault, Campbell, Shepard
TE: Knox, Jarwin, Trautman
2021: 1,1,2,2

Team 5 (Rebuild): 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Dak, Lock
RB: Sanders, Dobbins, Guice, Pollard
WR: Sutton, DJM, Edwards, Kirk, Campbell, Mims, Hamler
TE: Herndon, Gesicki
2021: 1,1,1,1, 2, 2

jman3134
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jman3134 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:49 pm

No preseason reps and he opens against the best D in the NFL. Overreaction, though last year was bad and there is seemingly no connection with OBJ.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Baker Mayfield, Drew Brees, Matthew Stafford
Rb: Saquon Barkley, Austin Ekeler, Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Matt Breida, Cam Akers, Chase Edmonds, David Johnson, D'onta Foreman
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Laviska Shenault, Julian Edelman, Diontae Johnson, John Brown, Keelan Cole, Darnell Mooney, Jalen Guyton, Travis Fulgham, Jakobi Meyers, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Richie James, Cam Sims, Dezmon Patmon
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Dan Arnold, Donald Parham
K: Jason Sanders
D: Baltimore Ravens
2021 picks:

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:06 pm

yeah, starting to get that sinking feeling again on the OBJ-Baker connection, or lack of one. This could get ugly fast if this week goes same as last one. San Fran? Yikes!

dmac37
Role Player
Role Player

Postby dmac37 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:11 pm

Baker to OBJ, feel much better- for now....
12 Team PPR Scoring:
QB: Rodgers, Mayfield
RB: Sanders, A. Jones, Hunt, J. Kelley, Freeman, B. Scott, J. Jackson, Gore
WR:M. Thomas, OBJ, K. Allen, Ridley, Pittman, B. Edwards Watkins, Fulgham, Isabella,
TE: Hockenson, Herndon, I. Thomas,
PK:
DST: Ravens

12 Team Superflex PPR Scoring:
QB: Wentz, Rodgers, Tua , Foles, T. Hill
RB: A. Jones, Hunt, Montgomery, J. Kelley, McKinnon, D. Evans, Penny, J. Williams
WR: Godwin, Ridley, A Robinson, Diontae Johnson, Sutton, Pittman, Mooney, Isabella, Jeffrey, John Brown, G Davis
TE: Henry L. Thomas

jman3134
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jman3134 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:15 pm

He needs more volume.
Rb: Saquon Barkley, Austin Ekeler, Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Matt Breida, Cam Akers, Chase Edmonds, David Johnson, D'onta Foreman
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Laviska Shenault, Julian Edelman, Diontae Johnson, John Brown, Keelan Cole, Darnell Mooney, Jalen Guyton, Travis Fulgham, Jakobi Meyers, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Richie James, Cam Sims, Dezmon Patmon
2021 picks:

Ice
MVP
MVP

Postby Ice » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:42 pm

Blueboy wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:13 pm
Whether it's fair or not, if Mayfield flames out against the Bengals tonight his value will absolutely tank. The opposite could be true if he can at least flash.
Looked really good the first 1/2
The clock is running and there are no timeouts

TheNuts
Starter
Starter

Postby TheNuts » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:46 pm

Baker looks excellent. The talent is there. Bad Coaching and poor offensive line play will hurt any qb. This is the Bengals so don't get too excited. I did start him in 2 leagues and he is a hold for me in superflex
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

jman3134
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jman3134 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:48 pm

It is all about how the line does. Baker is too flat footed when forced to throw out of the pocket. His footwork still looks bad. Free him in motion and he is good.
2021 picks:

Shcritters
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Shcritters » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:53 pm

I think Stefansky will be really good for Baker. Given that they have a good running game that makes play-action really dangerous, and we all know Cousin's splits when throwing out of play action. As the season goes on I expect things to mesh a little more and Baker to continue to improve.

He does look flat footed and needs to improve, but as his confidence gets going I expect him to pick it up as the season goes on.
DFFL - Luck Dynasty
12 team PPR Contract/Salary league. $331 cap limit. Starting lineup is QB, RB, RB/WR, 2 WR, WR/TE, plus IDP's (2 LB, 2 CB/S, 2 DL).

QB: Rivers ($6 - 2020), Mayfield ($4 - 2022)
RB: Chubb ($5 - 2022), Gurley ($58 - 2020), Mixon ($7 - 2023), Guice ($6 - 2022), MWilliams ($1-2024)
WR: Julio ($75 - 2019), Cooper ($12 - 2021), JuJu SS ($2 - 2023), Diggs ($2 - 2021), Watkins ($15 - 2020), MWilliams ($9 - 2022), Kirk ($2 - 2024), Isabella ($2 - 2025)
2013 and 2017 League Champion

Gopher Two
PPR WR & TE Premium (1.2 PPR for WR, 1.5 for TE), 9 total starters, 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Mayfield, Carr
RB: Cook, Chubb, Connor, Mattison, Ogunbowale, Richard, Crowell
WR: MThomas, Tyreek, Davis, Sutton, AJBrown, Dorsett, PRichardson, DParker, Doctson, Cain
TE: Dissly, OJHoward, McDonald, Shaheen, Vannett, Fells
2020: 1st (late), 2nd (early), 3rd, 4th

bjd5211
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:01 pm

Baker looks good, but he's always good against the Bengals, the other 30 teams are the issue.