General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: Antonio Gibson rocket ship

Postby Ice » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:27 pm

cazzie33 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:30 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:03 pm
Ice wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:53 pm If you play in big money leagues you should at least grab Gibson in one so you don’t miss out.

Take a small risk once in a while. Rivera knows way more than you! 😁
....and a Rivera runs through it.
Or Rivera could be leading you on a wild goose chase ... And we all know what runs through a goose :surprised:
In a few money leagues, I drafted him 2.4, 2.11, and 2.1. I am really happy to give 2nd round prices for difference making upside. I traded up once and back twice to get him. My take is these price points will prove very cheap in the future. The 2.11 was an IDP so that is a bit misleading.

All 3 of these drafts were right around the NFL draft, well before many knew much about this player. His value is currently rising.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:30 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:27 pm
cazzie33 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:30 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:03 pm

....and a Rivera runs through it.
Or Rivera could be leading you on a wild goose chase ... And we all know what runs through a goose :surprised:
In a few money leagues, I drafted him 2.4, 2.11, and 2.1. I am really happy to give 2nd round prices for difference making upside. I traded up once and back twice to get him. My take is these price points will prove very cheap in the future. The 2.11 was an IDP so that is a bit misleading.

All 3 of these drafts were right around the NFL draft, well before many knew much about this player. His value is currently rising.
We all need disposable income to waste on frivolous things, to a degree...... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Madadamus
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Madadamus » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:09 pm

The typical boom/bust prospect. We've seen hybrids like Ty Montgomery learn the position and actually be somewhat decent. Gibson is much more athletic and electric then he. The key, as with all running backs, will be how he picks up the football aspects of the position. Blitz pick-ups and blocking assignments. If he fails there, he will see himself on the bench more often then not.

Adrian Peterson is a snag in 2020, but I don't think anyone thinks he was going to take over this year or even in the future.

As has been pointed out, he's likely an offensive weapon and won't be asked to carry the ball 15+ times per game. But in this day and age, we don't even need 15 touches a game to be fantasy relevant.
12 Team PPR Dynasty - DLFS
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Burrow, M. Stafford, C. Wentz
RB: S. Barkley, D. Swift, J.K. Dobbins, C. Edwards-Helaire, R. Penny, G. Edwards, K. Drake
WR: T. Higgins, M. Evans, B. Aiyuk, C. Watson, K. Toney, M. Thomas, C. Ridley, C. Davis, J. Reagor
TE: D. Waller, E. Engram, H. Hurst, D. Njoku, G. Dulich, J. Akins
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 2nd (mid), 3rd, 4th, 4th (mid)

12 Team PPR Dynasty
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Herbert, M. Stafford, J. Winston, D. Lock, M. Mariota, J. Stidham, R. Fitzpatrick
RB: C. McCaffrey, A. Kamara, E. Elliott, J. Dobbin, J. Mixon, A. Mattison, J. White, L. Bell
WR: D. Moore, J. Jeudy, O. Beckham Jr., C. Claypool, C. Davis. D. Parker, L. Fitzgerald, B. Perriman, W. Snead
TE: E. Engram, C. Kmet, C. Herndon, K. Warring
2021 Picks: 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:59 pm

Curious ... Odds that Gibson ever becomes a RB1 ? RB2 ?

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:32 pm

thank you Ice. In a game where the top assets in the league are guys like CMC, CEH, Kamara, Ekeler and Drake I don't understand concern about his lack of traditional carries in year 1.

Sorry to Freak but when you do things like mention he was splitting his time in 4 straight posts as a huge detriment, it sticks out. From the mouth of the reporters he is strictly working as a RB, I believe he also zoomed in with the WRs on route running work. He's learning to play running back and the poo poo'ers act like it's Mandarin Chinese

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:41 pm

Krypto_King wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:32 pm thank you Ice. In a game where the top assets in the league are guys like CMC, CEH, Kamara, Ekeler and Drake I don't understand concern about his lack of traditional carries in year 1.

Sorry to Freak but when you do things like mention he was splitting his time in 4 straight posts as a huge detriment, it sticks out. From the mouth of the reporters he is strictly working as a RB, I believe he also zoomed in with the WRs on route running work. He's learning to play running back and the poo poo'ers act like it's Mandarin Chinese
CEH and Drake are top assets in the league? :shock:

But to get back on topic, Gibson has been utilized all over the field; not strictly as a running back. This is usually a good thing because that usually means that a team is intent on getting the ball to a playmaker, but when your college career is so limited I'd think that if he were drafted to be their feature back they'd be hammering in the fundamentals instead of trying to incorporate him all over the field.

I think it's possible Gibson emerges as an NFL RB given his skillset, but I'd put the odds there much lower than an early to mid 2nd round pick in this draft class. I would love for him to emerge as I grabbed him late in a few leagues that had no idea who he was before the draft as an upside play; but if you're drafting him as the presumed feature back that's a lot of projection to invest in what would be a 1st round pick in a lot of other draft classes.

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:59 pm

Krypto_King wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:32 am FF you are singularly leading the charge against this dude. You routinely spout speculation as fact against him. Are you Peyton Barber?
I'll go on the record as being highly doubtful of Gibson's success as a startable commodity in fantasy football. I haven't piped in much lately because I didn't see the sense in this fruitless back and forth speculation.

After watching every snap Gibson had at Memphis twice, I found him totally unworthy of being an NFL calibre receiver and, from what little I saw of him as a RB, he wasn't .... what I would call a traditional RB. He's more of a master of none than a jack of all trades. He was never lined up in the backfield by himself and most of that time he was used as either a lead blocker or a diversion. Gibson's best qualities are that he's big, fast, and can be a load for mid level college players to tackle in the open field.

NFL teams will often draft someone higher than normal due to their ability to contribute on special teams. He'll be mostly returning kickoffs and covering punts as a gunner. Hell, he doesn't even have any experience as a punt returner. Outside of the occasional wildcat or trick shift, I doubt that he lines up in the backfield all that much. Most of his touches will probably come from screens, reverses, and jet sweeps. Outside of a league that rewarded return yards or a bestball, I would have a hard time trusting this guy in my starting lineup.

On a positive note; I have heard that he's a good guy with a great attitude and coaches tend to like him.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

remy420
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby remy420 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:23 pm

Hottoddies wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:59 pm
Krypto_King wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:32 am FF you are singularly leading the charge against this dude. You routinely spout speculation as fact against him. Are you Peyton Barber?
I'll go on the record as being highly doubtful of Gibson's success as a startable commodity in fantasy football. I haven't piped in much lately because I didn't see the sense in this fruitless back and forth speculation.

After watching every snap Gibson had at Memphis twice, I found him totally unworthy of being an NFL calibre receiver and, from what little I saw of him as a RB, he wasn't .... what I would call a traditional RB. He's more of a master of none than a jack of all trades. He was never lined up in the backfield by himself and most of that time he was used as either a lead blocker or a diversion. Gibson's best qualities are that he's big, fast, and can be a load for mid level college players to tackle in the open field.

NFL teams will often draft someone higher than normal due to their ability to contribute on special teams. He'll be mostly returning kickoffs and covering punts as a gunner. Hell, he doesn't even have any experience as a punt returner. Outside of the occasional wildcat or trick shift, I doubt that he lines up in the backfield all that much. Most of his touches will probably come from screens, reverses, and jet sweeps. Outside of a league that rewarded return yards or a bestball, I would have a hard time trusting this guy in my starting lineup.

On a positive note; I have heard that he's a good guy with a great attitude and coaches tend to like him.
This. I see a Cordarelle Patterson role in his future.
MC Dynasty League
The Highlanders
Champions 2006
12 teams, 30-man rosters
1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1 Flex (RB,WR), 1TE, 1K, 1Def, 1DL, 1LB, 1CB, 1S
QB:Newton, Rivers, Tua
RB:Gordon, Lindsey, Hunt, Kerryon, Mattison, Dobbins, Love
WR:A.J. Green, Julio, Diggs, Kupp, Hardman, P. Williams
TE:Hooper, Smith
K:Gould, Gonzalez
Def:Car, Chi
DL:Watt, N Bosa
LB:Ch. Jones, Roquan
DB:King, Carrie
S:Mathieu, Edmunds

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:40 am

Hottoddies wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:59 pm Gibson's best qualities are that he's big, fast, and can be a load for ALL FOOTBALL players to tackle in the open field.

*bolded for editing your post. Feel free to add any links to report he's playing special teams whatsoever. and yeah, Deebo Samuel + carries sounds pretty appealing for any starting lineup

Now that I am officially adopting him as my son I will add this list:
RBs that are 220+lbs, run a 4.44 40 or better, have day 2 draft capital + have a single college season with 25 or more receptions

Antonio Gibson
Jonathan Taylor
Saquon Barkley
Rashard Mendenhall
Ronnie Brown

"There is no illusion greater than fear."

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:07 am

Krypto_King wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:40 am
Hottoddies wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:59 pm Gibson's best qualities are that he's big, fast, and can be a load for ALL FOOTBALL players to tackle in the open field.

*bolded for editing your post. Feel free to add any links to report he's playing special teams whatsoever. and yeah, Deebo Samuel + carries sounds pretty appealing for any starting lineup

RBs that are 220+lbs, run a 4.44 40 or better, have day 2 draft capital + have a single college season with 25 or more receptions

Antonio Gibson
Jonathan Taylor
Saquon Barkley
Rashard Mendenhall
Ronnie Brown

"There is no illusion greater than fear."
Kind of weird you stretched out the 40 time to 4.44 just to include Rashard Mendenhall and Ronnie Brown.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:11 am

Krypto_King wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:40 am

Antonio Gibson
Jonathan Taylor
Saquon Barkley
Rashard Mendenhall
Ronnie Brown

There is no illusion greater than fear.
Yes, but they actually played RB in college. That is different to occasionally lining up in the backfield. This is apples and oranges. He had 25 receptions, mainly as a receiver. How about we set a threshold on the carries a little higher than 33?

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:15 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:11 am Yes, but they actually played RB in college. That different to occasionally lining up in the backfield. This is apples and oranges. He had 25 receptions, mainly as a receiver. How about we set a threshold on the carries a little higher than 33?
Mendenhall and Ronnie Brown were also 1st round picks

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:22 am

IZigUZag wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:15 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:11 am Yes, but they actually played RB in college. That different to occasionally lining up in the backfield. This is apples and oranges. He had 25 receptions, mainly as a receiver. How about we set a threshold on the carries a little higher than 33?
Mendenhall and Ronnie Brown were also 1st round picks
As was Saquon. Gibson is an intriguing player with some big play ability, he just doesn't have the rushing production (or refinement as a runner) any of these other guys did coming into the league. Ultimately, we will have to see how it goes. I'd be really surprised if this player ever got anywhere near lead back touches over the course of seasons in the NFL. If he gets anywhere near 200 touches, I think that's a win for anybody who drafted him with a 2hd round rookie pick, though.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:32 am

I'm not a Gibson believer. I see a trend with a lot of these boom/bust guys, that the doubters will list legitimate, well thought out posts about the concerns around him... The 30 some college carries and playing against little competition. I faded Henderson for the same reason. Him running over lower level competition wasn't impressive to me. I mean Gibsons size speed at Memphis is going to look much different in the NFL... While the believers have blinders on and will try and find anything to hype him up.

Maybe I'm just having a hard time buying the hype. I'd have AT LEAST 8 WR and 7 RB and Burrow in front of him so mid to late 2nd is fine to me, but I feel like he's going sooner than that everywhere now. Such little experience and being drafted to Washington is basically a death sentence to a career in itself for me so I guess I'll miss out on the next... CPatt.

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:51 am

I recently sold him for a 2021 1st (I took him at 2.10 this summer)
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0