Re-evaluation on Past Trade

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Indyfan1985
Starter
Starter

Re-evaluation on Past Trade

Postby Indyfan1985 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:39 am

A few months ago I made a deal in my 10 team league.

I dealt Dalvin Cook, my 2021 1st, 2021 3rd, and 2022 2nd. (My draft picks dealt to him should be bottom 3 since I'm a championship contender)

I received Jonathan Taylor, his 2021 1st, and his 2022 1st. (Both picks should be top 5 since he is still rebuilding)

Yes this deal may have hurt me competitively for this season only, but longterm I think I get the better of this deal. I should be able to get by with Saquon and Mixon as my starting RBs, while mixing in JT as a flex once he gets going at some point. I have plenty of WRs though that can man that flex spot until then.
2 QB PPR 10 Team League

2018 Champ, 2019 Champ

QB - Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert
WR - Justin Jefferson, Tyreek Hill
RB - Saquon Barkley, Jonathan Taylor
TE - George Kittle
Flex - Joe Mixon, Ceedee Lamb

Notable Bench Players - AJ Dillon, Kareem Hunt, Michael Thomas, OBJ, Calvin Ridley, Diontae Johnson, Brandon Aiyuk, Darnell Mooney, Elijah Moore, Teddy Bridgewater, Trey Lance, Kyle Pitts, Isaiah Spiller

2023 Draft picks - 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2

2 QB, 2 TE PPR 8 Team League

QB - Lamar Jackson, Matthew Stafford
WR - Stefon Diggs, Jamar Chase
RB - CMC, Jonathan Taylor
TE - TJ Hockenson, Dallas Goedert
Flex - AJ Brown, DJ Moore , De'Andre Swift

Notable Bench Players - Nyheim Hines, Keenan Allen, Ceedee Lamb, Jerry Jeudy, Calvin Ridley, Michael Pittman Jr, Darnell Mooney, Kadarius Toney, Baker Mayfield, Trey Lance, Davis Mills, Noah Fant, Evan Engram

2022 Draft picks - 2, 3
2023 Draft picks - 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Re-evaluation on Past Trade

Postby abloom » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:04 am

Without seeing his team its hard to determine if he is going to be a bottom half team. Certainly on paper you have the starting lineup and the depth to be a championship contender barring major injuries. So I'll go with your assumption that your picks will be later than his picks:

So you get a 4-5 position bump lets say in your 2021 first. Probably will be a significant increase there, though with the college football season in question I think we may see a few more larger and flatter tiers. It would seem that you should be moving your pick up atleast one tier though. Obviously you are getting a full round upgrade in 2022 so thats a solid win.

So the question is Cook to JT. I like this move. Over the past year I've really been focusing on trying to avoid/move RBs with ACL injuries. They just lose too much time (1 season for recovery, and 1 season to return back to form) and career length (degenerative knee conditions suck), so I think right now is the best time to sell Cook, especially with concerns over his contract. JT on the other hand is going into a situation behind a great offensive line, who may have a younger QB next year making them want to run the ball more. I wouldn't rely on him to be a big contributor this year (or at least the first half of the year) but in 2021 going forward I would. Maybe you are selling a little low on Cook, but I'm willing to to move from cook to JT, especailly given the rest of your team.

I would look into trying to acquire a Howard, Gordon, Carson, Gurley, or Howard/Breida just someone to give you a little more depth fro this year, maybe by dangling Bridgewater or Herbert. While it is a 2 QB league, its still a 10 teamer.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Indyfan1985
Starter
Starter

Postby Indyfan1985 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:28 am

abloom wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:04 am Without seeing his team its hard to determine if he is going to be a bottom half team. Certainly on paper you have the starting lineup and the depth to be a championship contender barring major injuries. So I'll go with your assumption that your picks will be later than his picks:

So you get a 4-5 position bump lets say in your 2021 first. Probably will be a significant increase there, though with the college football season in question I think we may see a few more larger and flatter tiers. It would seem that you should be moving your pick up atleast one tier though. Obviously you are getting a full round upgrade in 2022 so thats a solid win.

So the question is Cook to JT. I like this move. Over the past year I've really been focusing on trying to avoid/move RBs with ACL injuries. They just lose too much time (1 season for recovery, and 1 season to return back to form) and career length (degenerative knee conditions suck), so I think right now is the best time to sell Cook, especially with concerns over his contract. JT on the other hand is going into a situation behind a great offensive line, who may have a younger QB next year making them want to run the ball more. I wouldn't rely on him to be a big contributor this year (or at least the first half of the year) but in 2021 going forward I would. Maybe you are selling a little low on Cook, but I'm willing to to move from cook to JT, especailly given the rest of your team.

I would look into trying to acquire a Howard, Gordon, Carson, Gurley, or Howard/Breida just someone to give you a little more depth fro this year, maybe by dangling Bridgewater or Herbert. While it is a 2 QB league, its still a 10 teamer.
I appreciate your assessment. I'm not sure I want to trade Bridgewater or Herbert just yet since their value should only go up in my opinion. I think Bridgewater could have a sneaky good year, and Herbert could surprise some people with the weapons he has around him once he starts. I am looking to maybe add 1 more depth RB in case of injury to Saquon or Mixon for sure though. With my depth at WR though, I only need to really start 2 RBs until JT gets going.

I too think this offseason was the right time to deal Cook, as his value probably won't be any higher than it was just after NFL draft time, which is around when I dealt him. Being that I am a diehard Colts fan also gave me more reason to want JT on my team longterm. And I don't feel like I had to overpay to get him either. If anything, I may have hopefully gotten the better end of the deal when you factor in the draft picks. Late 3rd rounders are basically worthless, so I don't really count that as a loss. So really I gave him my 2021 1st and 2022 2nd for a higher 2021 1st, and 2022 1st.
2 QB PPR 10 Team League

2018 Champ, 2019 Champ

TE - George Kittle

Notable Bench Players - AJ Dillon, Kareem Hunt, Michael Thomas, OBJ, Calvin Ridley, Diontae Johnson, Brandon Aiyuk, Darnell Mooney, Elijah Moore, Teddy Bridgewater, Trey Lance, Kyle Pitts, Isaiah Spiller

Notable Bench Players - Nyheim Hines, Keenan Allen, Ceedee Lamb, Jerry Jeudy, Calvin Ridley, Michael Pittman Jr, Darnell Mooney, Kadarius Toney, Baker Mayfield, Trey Lance, Davis Mills, Noah Fant, Evan Engram

2022 Draft picks - 2, 3

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:56 am

Given that it appears you are a Colts fan, I like the trade for you.

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:15 pm

I would rather gamble on Taylor due to Cooks consistent healthy concerns.

Indyfan1985
Starter
Starter

Postby Indyfan1985 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:31 pm

Gator Sens wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:15 pm I would rather gamble on Taylor due to Cooks consistent healthy concerns.
My thoughts exactly. I am gambling just a bit by betting on an unproven NFL player VS an established player. But at the same time, I would have been taking a risk keeping Cook with his injury history and contract issue.
2 QB PPR 10 Team League

2018 Champ, 2019 Champ

TE - George Kittle

2022 Draft picks - 2, 3