Drafting the "Hate List"

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Drafting the "Hate List"

Postby Yarnith » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:20 pm

This is mostly just for fun thread. I just finished the draft for my oldest Dynasty league (20years now) and it is always a crazy draft. ADP is meaningless, opinions vary and things get out of hand quickly. This year was no different and my early picks went like this.(not SF)

1.1 CEH
1.2 JT
2.1 Ruggs
2.10 Mims
4.12 Hamler

The thing I found funny is I am down on Ruggs and WAY down on Mims yet somehow I managed to draft both. Obviously to me no matter my reservations on a player at a point its worth the price and this was it for those 2. I feel good about my draft even with what was essentially my entire hate list on my team now!

So got me thinking, do you remove players on your hate list totally? Do you devalue them and if so how much? Have you ended up with someone you never wanted to draft but just felt like at a point you just cant not pick them? This and any funny draft choice stories you may have is what i am looking for here!
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Drafting the "Hate List"

Postby honcho55 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:31 pm

I guess the obvious retort is: you must not have hated em too much if you ended up drafting them haha.

But yeah I’ve picked some guys that I felt I wasn’t high on but they “just shouldn’t have been there this late”

It NEVER works out for me lol.

I never take anyone off my board, I just make a board. I mean, character stuff, just not seeing it with a guy, I don’t see the point of putting anyone on a strict Do Not Draft list, ever. Hell, even retirement. I’ll take Luck late in a deep startup still.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:37 pm

I feel like this happens all the time. People dont necessarily hate players as much as they hate the price/value.

If you saw a 70 inch TV in Best Buy for $1400, you wouldn't want it because it's expensive, you don't need it, and you would point out other flaws about it.

But if that same TV is half off the next time you see it, it's coming home with you and you're telling your wife how much you love it.

So yes, there are times where I'll end up with a player who I'm not bullish on, but the price negates my perceived risk.

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:39 pm

honcho55 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:31 pm I guess the obvious retort is: you must not have hated em too much if you ended up drafting them haha.

But yeah I’ve picked some guys that I felt I wasn’t high on but they “just shouldn’t have been there this late”

I never take anyone off my board, I just make a board. I mean, character stuff, just not seeing it with a guy, I don’t see the point of putting anyone on a strict Do Not Draft list, ever. Hell, even retirement. I’ll take Luck late in a deep startup still.
I am a UCF alum so I always grab a homer UCF pick. Usually its cut fodder but I have cashed in on it, Brandon Marshall, Culpepper, Kevin Smith. The standard response when I do is "Who is that?". I took Juju because his name was funny. I took Flacco as a rookie because it sounds like Falco and my league buddies and I like to watch "The Replacements" every year before the draft.
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,

WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:27 pm

If they fall far enough I'll draft anyone, they just have to be the bpa at that point.
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

smbkrypt24
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smbkrypt24 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:32 pm

Yarnith wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:39 pm
honcho55 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:31 pm I guess the obvious retort is: you must not have hated em too much if you ended up drafting them haha.

I am a UCF alum so I always grab a homer UCF pick. Usually its cut fodder but I have cashed in on it, Brandon Marshall, Culpepper, Kevin Smith. The standard response when I do is "Who is that?". I took Juju because his name was funny. I took Flacco as a rookie because it sounds like Falco and my league buddies and I like to watch "The Replacements" every year before the draft.
JuJu was a very well known prospect that underperformed his last year, but was a stud the year before the that in college. You drafted JuJu because his name was funny and not because of his performance?
12 Team PPR Dynasty. Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K, 1 D, 21 roster spots.

2013 Startup
Team 1- 3rd in 2023
QB: Herbert, B. Purdy, Fields
RB: Bijan, Barkley, Akers, Dobbins
WR: T. Hill, AJB, D. Johnson, JSN, Doubs, Meyers, Thomas, Toney
TE: Andrews, Likely, Dulcich

2024: 1.04, 1.09, 2.02
2025: 1, 2, 3

2019 Startup
Team 2- 4th in 2023
QB: Murray, Cousins, Wilson
RB: Bijan, Kamara, Mixon, Dobbins, Rodriguez
WR: Chase, G. Wilson, D. Adams, Di. Johnson, M. Wilson, W. Robinson, Toney
TE: McBride, Pitts, Kmet, Likely

2024: 1.01, 1.06, 1.08, 1.11, 2.09
2025: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3

2021 Startup
Team 3- 11th in 2023
QB: Goff, Watson, Cousins, Levis, Rodgers, Young
RB: Gibbs, Pacheco, Dobbins
WR: Chase, J. Jefferson, JSN, Palmer, Mooney, Tillman
TE: Schultz, Pitts, Likely, Okonkwo

2024: 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04, 2.03, 2.06, 2.07, 2.10, 3.03, 3.06, 3.08

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:18 pm

smbkrypt24 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:32 pm

JuJu was a very well known prospect that underperformed his last year, but was a stud the year before the that in college. You drafted JuJu because his name was funny and not because of his performance?
Yep, I was aware of some of his hype for the draft but picked him for the name. Keep in mind the Steelers Juju was drafted on he would have been lucky to make it as the slot guy. Heyward-Bey was gonna be the slot and Brown and Bryant were young and the top 2 WR's on the team. Juju was 6th on the depth chart and was unlikely to even be relevant as a rookie. If you remember Bryant went dumdum and got benched for demanding a trade and Juju worked his way onto the field after starting the season as the KR guy. He fell pretty hard despite his 2nd draft capital because the WR was considered crowded.

smbkrypt24
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smbkrypt24 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:56 pm

Yarnith wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:18 pm
smbkrypt24 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:32 pm

Yep, I was aware of some of his hype for the draft but picked him for the name. Keep in mind the Steelers Juju was drafted on he would have been lucky to make it as the slot guy. Heyward-Bey was gonna be the slot and Brown and Bryant were young and the top 2 WR's on the team. Juju was 6th on the depth chart and was unlikely to even be relevant as a rookie. If you remember Bryant went dumdum and got benched for demanding a trade and Juju worked his way onto the field after starting the season as the KR guy. He fell pretty hard despite his 2nd draft capital because the WR was considered crowded.
I remember JuJu and regret I didn't have any early second round rookie picks. I would have chose him everywhere. He may not have been super hyped, but if league mates don't know him by more than a name it seems off to me.
I see you went through the Steelers depth chart when he was drafted. There is a huge flaw with that especially at the WR position. The teams draft players and don't necessarily expect them to start from day 1. They look at contracts and see some WRs that are likely to not be signed so 6th on the depth chart isn't really 6th best WR on a team.
12 Team PPR Dynasty. Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K, 1 D, 21 roster spots.

2013 Startup
Team 1- 3rd in 2023
QB: Herbert, B. Purdy, Fields
RB: Bijan, Barkley, Akers, Dobbins
WR: T. Hill, AJB, D. Johnson, JSN, Doubs, Meyers, Thomas, Toney
TE: Andrews, Likely, Dulcich

2024: 1.04, 1.09, 2.02

2019 Startup
Team 2- 4th in 2023
QB: Murray, Cousins, Wilson
RB: Bijan, Kamara, Mixon, Dobbins, Rodriguez
WR: Chase, G. Wilson, D. Adams, Di. Johnson, M. Wilson, W. Robinson, Toney
TE: McBride, Pitts, Kmet, Likely

2024: 1.01, 1.06, 1.08, 1.11, 2.09
2025: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3

2021 Startup
Team 3- 11th in 2023
QB: Goff, Watson, Cousins, Levis, Rodgers, Young
RB: Gibbs, Pacheco, Dobbins
WR: Chase, J. Jefferson, JSN, Palmer, Mooney, Tillman
TE: Schultz, Pitts, Likely, Okonkwo

2024: 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04, 2.03, 2.06, 2.07, 2.10, 3.03, 3.06, 3.08

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:05 pm

I actually love this draft. Value plus after the obvious 1.01 and 1.02. Hamler at 4.12 is just plain silly. I'd argue Ruggs not going in the first is too, but the last guy before waivers being a top 50 pick in the NFL draft is ridiculous. There is no good reason for him going that late. None.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:10 pm

Not always via draft but I seem to be the team in my league that ends up with New England running backs. I hate, hate, hate New England RBs but apparently not as much as the other 11 guys because they always end up on my roster for dirt cheap or essentially free. Blount worked out that one year and Sony paid off a bit his rookie season but it’s rare. I don’t own him now but I’m sure I’ll end up rostering Harris at some point this season.

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:26 pm

Yarnith wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:20 pm This is mostly just for fun thread. I just finished the draft for my oldest Dynasty league (20years now) and it is always a crazy draft. ADP is meaningless, opinions vary and things get out of hand quickly. This year was no different and my early picks went like this.(not SF)

1.1 CEH
1.2 JT
2.1 Ruggs
2.10 Mims
4.12 Hamler

The thing I found funny is I am down on Ruggs and WAY down on Mims yet somehow I managed to draft both. Obviously to me no matter my reservations on a player at a point its worth the price and this was it for those 2. I feel good about my draft even with what was essentially my entire hate list on my team now!

So got me thinking, do you remove players on your hate list totally? Do you devalue them and if so how much? Have you ended up with someone you never wanted to draft but just felt like at a point you just cant not pick them? This and any funny draft choice stories you may have is what i am looking for here!
I think seeing this you crushed this draft. the 2 top RBs 1,2. Then you got the WR that was selected first in the draft at the 2.1? A lot of misconceptions about Ruggs because the Raiders have historically drafted speed over talent, you could argue Jeudy or Lamb better but coming into the draft the 3 of them together were considered the top tier. People are also saying he's not a great route runner, but I haven't found that to be the case as he got open nearly every play in college despite running one of the most diverse route trees.

Mims should be good, but you need to be patient with him and not expect much from him year 1. He's got the athleticism to be great but doesn't have all the mechanics yet. I'd expect a late year 2 or year 3 breakout. I'm not a big fan of Hamler but if I could get him in the mid-late 3rd I would gladly do it. You got him at 4.12 which was a steal!

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:05 pm

jjleurquin wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:26 pm I think seeing this you crushed this draft. the 2 top RBs 1,2. Then you got the WR that was selected first in the draft at the 2.1? A lot of misconceptions about Ruggs because the Raiders have historically drafted speed over talent, you could argue Jeudy or Lamb better but coming into the draft the 3 of them together were considered the top tier. People are also saying he's not a great route runner, but I haven't found that to be the case as he got open nearly every play in college despite running one of the most diverse route trees.

Mims should be good, but you need to be patient with him and not expect much from him year 1. He's got the athleticism to be great but doesn't have all the mechanics yet. I'd expect a late year 2 or year 3 breakout. I'm not a big fan of Hamler but if I could get him in the mid-late 3rd I would gladly do it. You got him at 4.12 which was a steal!
I feel like I did well and thanks but this isn't a humble brag thread. I have posts all over down on Mims and Ruggs on these forums. I just didn't feel like they were worth the ADP's on them. I actually messed up that list I got Darius Slayton for the 2.1, Ruggs at the 2.10 and Mims with 3.1. At those values though all the questions I had about them and their landing spots poof because that is basically stealing and I feel like I was forced to pick them.

I understand the NE RB poster I had that disease for both the Bronco's during Shanahan and Dallas with Barber, DMC etc. I whine, I cry and I would end up drafting whoever "the guy" was the next year.

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:53 pm

Yarnith wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:05 pm
jjleurquin wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:26 pm I think seeing this you crushed this draft. the 2 top RBs 1,2. Then you got the WR that was selected first in the draft at the 2.1? A lot of misconceptions about Ruggs because the Raiders have historically drafted speed over talent, you could argue Jeudy or Lamb better but coming into the draft the 3 of them together were considered the top tier. People are also saying he's not a great route runner, but I haven't found that to be the case as he got open nearly every play in college despite running one of the most diverse route trees.

I feel like I did well and thanks but this isn't a humble brag thread. I have posts all over down on Mims and Ruggs on these forums. I just didn't feel like they were worth the ADP's on them. I actually messed up that list I got Darius Slayton for the 2.1, Ruggs at the 2.10 and Mims with 3.1. At those values though all the questions I had about them and their landing spots poof because that is basically stealing and I feel like I was forced to pick them.

I understand the NE RB poster I had that disease for both the Bronco's during Shanahan and Dallas with Barber, DMC etc. I whine, I cry and I would end up drafting whoever "the guy" was the next year.
I think Ruggs at 2.1 would've been a steal but at 2.10 it's like your leaguemates are saying we don't want to play anymore here you can win these last couple seasons.

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:00 am

I was well prepared to take a Ruggs 2.4 in one league if he was there. Same with a couple other prospects I don’t particularly care for.

We are wrong more often than we are right, especially on 2nd round picks, so maybe those guys pan out and I’m looking good. If they don’t chances are someone else wouldn’t have either. If I’m at 2.5 and it’s between a value guy like Ruggs or someone maybe just below him on my list but with a much better profile, I take the profile I like.

I’ve found when I end up with guys I don’t particularly like, I try to trade them away anyways. I did that with Debo last year. I don’t like his profile and I was concerned about his ability to stay healthy. I sold light unfortunately, but I’m still satisfied I moved him