fantasy impact of coronavirus

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: fantasy impact of coronavirus

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:23 am

Sports without a bubble will not work, but the MLB, NCAA and NFL are too stubborn.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: COVID. The NON Fantasy football discussion

Postby kadun2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:43 am

Last edited by kadun2 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:44 am

abloom wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:32 am
azthecrow wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:39 am
abloom wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:12 am

It's simple. There are conflicting studies. Some show that hydroxychloroquine has no benefit, others show it has some benefit, and others show that it can actually be detrimental. For a brief synopsis with additional links to primary articles feel free to read
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2020388
Thank you for that information :thumbup:
I have relatives in Imperial County, CA where there is a significant outbreak and they have told me that hydroxychloroquine is being prescribed and effective there. I have been able to avoid the virus to this point but am interested in the various ways that it is being treated.
Your relatives likely have no basis to know if it is effective or not. True tests look at large scale populations with and without treatment hopefully with patients at a variety of severity of covid19 infections. The majority of studies so far have lacked these standards and that is why there is significant disagreement between studies.
That’s likely possible.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:52 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:54 pm
I think we're on the same page here. I've been home for four months. Haven't left the house except to pick up groceries at Target, take a walk with the dog, or pick up a prescription at Walgreens. I tested positive two days ago. My wife and kids tested negative. I don't know how I got it. Grocery delivery? Wife a carrier (she went to three stores one day, with mask). Luckily I'm asymptomatic. Seems to be a mild case. But I don't know what the long-term effects will be.
Glad to here you are asymptomatic. The 14 day bubble is tough. My family just emerged after an exposure with a positive case.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:34 pm

The NFL had so much time, and they still think they are going to have fans. Says it all. They will fail really badly with this plan, IMO. Not sure a bubble would have worked for football, for a full season. A shortened season would have been better for the NFL, for sure. But it looks like MLB is not going to finish, and the NFL should be very worried.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:26 pm

Manfred told Clark that MLB would have to shut down if COVID19 cases continue to plague it. If MLB does so, I hope that would be a kick in the pants to the NFL to actually have a better plan
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, Fields, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens, wilson
T: Kelce, Goedert, Thomas, woods
D: cle, nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson, Browning, Rudolph, Zappe
R: Swift, Walker, Dobbins, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen, Nuk, Tre tucker, C Samuel,
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0009&O=01

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:46 pm

abloom wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:26 pm Manfred told Clark that MLB would have to shut down if COVID19 cases continue to plague it. If MLB does so, I hope that would be a kick in the pants to the NFL to actually have a better plan
I think it's too late for that. The NFL is stuck with what they have got at this point.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:29 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:34 pm The NFL had so much time, and they still think they are going to have fans. Says it all. They will fail really badly with this plan, IMO. Not sure a bubble would have worked for football, for a full season. A shortened season would have been better for the NFL, for sure. But it looks like MLB is not going to finish, and the NFL should be very worried.
I was listening to the Ringer NFL show with Kevin Clark (I believe it was the Washington episode with Lindsay Jones) and they included a comment in passing in there that floored me. I don't know how valid it is - I've not seen it properly reported - but according to them, the inside word is that the Owners deliberately waited until the 11th hour in order to have the leverage.

Which, if true... is just... wow. The math certainly checks out based on what we saw happen and what we know of the owners... I guess it's just too much to ask for that particular group of men to not treat every situation like it's something to be "won".

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:20 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:46 pm I think it's too late for that. The NFL is stuck with what they have got at this point.
+1

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:41 am

I found this article about a physician in Imperial County, CA using hydroxychloroquine. Very interesting.
https://www.thedesertreview.com/opinion ... ebc1a.html

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:55 am

azthecrow wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:41 am I found this article about a physician in Imperial County, CA using hydroxychloroquine. Very interesting.
I think the 2 biggest issues with this is, it's not a study, just as we have an asymptomatic member (writing above) there is no proof the drug actually did anything. (Similar to the statement I've never been in a car accident because I stop at every stop sign, prove to me that the 2 occurrences have any correlation). Secondly, the doctor stated that the treatment has to begin within the 1st 5 days, while testing results taking longer the opportunity to begin treatment in poor.

Also remember he is making his own cocktails, how do you determine which of the drugs he gave is the 1 leading to the desired outcome. Like drinking 6 different brands of beers in an evening, and them claiming you know which one of them made you drunk, and therefore never wanting to drink that brand again.
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:08 pm

millworkguy wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:55 am
azthecrow wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:41 am I found this article about a physician in Imperial County, CA using hydroxychloroquine. Very interesting.
I think the 2 biggest issues with this is, it's not a study, just as we have an asymptomatic member (writing above) there is no proof the drug actually did anything. (Similar to the statement I've never been in a car accident because I stop at every stop sign, prove to me that the 2 occurrences have any correlation). Secondly, the doctor stated that the treatment has to begin within the 1st 5 days, while testing results taking longer the opportunity to begin treatment in poor.

Also remember he is making his own cocktails, how do you determine which of the drugs he gave is the 1 leading to the desired outcome. Like drinking 6 different brands of beers in an evening, and them claiming you know which one of them made you drunk, and therefore never wanting to drink that brand again.
My biggest take from it is that there is no negative side effects. I thought that was very positive to read about the 50+ years of use of it with no major problems.
Also, the negative light cast from media outlets for no reason is disappointing if it can actually help some people.
For those that value education he is highly educated and has been a professor. So I don’t think it’s like he’s just mixing up stuff as he goes without tracking what works and what doesn’t. I took it as very positive information overall.
Last edited by kadun2 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:00 pm

azthecrow wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:08 pm
millworkguy wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:55 am

My biggest take from it is that there is no negative side effects. I thought that was very positive to read about the 50+ years of use of it with no major problems.
Also, the negative light cast from media outlets for no reason is disappointing if it can actually help some people.
For those that value education he is highly educated and has been a professor. So I don’t think it’s like he’s just mixing up drinks as he goes without tracking what works and what doesn’t. I took it as very positive information overall.
For 49 years, it has been used for 1 thing, only recently did that change. Also he doesn't say how many people he has done this for.

So, here is a fact about another drug: when alchohol is consumed in no more then 1 standard beverage a day, there are no instances of the user becoming an alcoholic.

Doesn't mean alcohol is safe (in fact it's the only drug that can cause death in withdrawal) but I've managed to write a true statement about its use, and make its use seem safer then what it really is, and downplay the chances of becoming an alcoholic.
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:17 pm

^ Well, I guess it’s a perception thing. Glass half empty or half full. I thought it was good news but you don’t see it that way. I hope maybe some others can get something positive from it. I certainly will talk to my doctor and consider it if the virus comes my way.
Appreciate your comments👍

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:38 pm

azthecrow wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:17 pm ^ Well, I guess it’s a perception thing. Glass half empty or half full. I thought it was good news but you don’t see it that way. I hope maybe some others can get something positive from it. I certainly will talk to my doctor and consider it if the virus comes my way.
Appreciate your comments👍
What I'm trying to say, is that as a cocktail, the doctor is assuming which drug is having the positive effect (and are the drugs responsible for the positive effect) Just like drinking vodka and orange juice, and learning it's high in vitamin C, and assuming vodka must be good for you. To me, there are too many variables that he didn't isolate before stating a conclusion
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)