fantasy impact of coronavirus

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: fantasy impact of coronavirus

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:21 pm

mild wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:42 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:22 pm They are.
But is it enough? Anything short of a bubble is basically admitting that the risk of a player catching COVID is an acceptable one, and the price of doing business in 2020.

I'm not being hyperbolic; I'm just pointing out the obvious. If players catching COVID is acceptable practice (and even fans if you believe some of these teams) then where does that buck stop? If Andy Reid bites the big one (knock on wood, but he might be the highest risk coach out there) because he doesn't want to be the one not showing up for his team - then yes, he will have died fully knowing the risk he took.

But the immediate public discourse will be "to what end" and "did we really need football in a pandemic" (no) and "could the league have done more to prevent this" (yes). It is not hyperbolic nor hard to foresee this.

He used italics on the word "something", implying they weren't doing anything at all, which isn't true. I really have no idea sitting from my vantage point, and am not nearly educated enough on the issue to have a truly informed opinion. Nor does anyone else here, I suspect. I have been very critical of the NFL's stand point on fans and Hard Knocks, but the idea that they aren't doing anything at all is just false.
Csl312 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:05 pm The league should be doing something to lower risk to its employees.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:22 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:19 pm Any odds on the Patriots getting caught for cheating by trying to falsify positive tests for key players on their opponents the week they play them this year?
The answer is no, but BB is 100% looking for ways to exploit inefficiencies created by COVID.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Re: COVID. The NON Fantasy football discussion

Postby millworkguy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:18 am

azthecrow wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:56 pm
millworkguy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:14 pm
azthecrow wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:46 pm I don’t understand why anyone would be against The use of hydroxychloroquine. Many doctors have stated that it has saved lives and it has been approved forever. Seems like it should be looked at positively.
Yes, it is one drug that us under review, I dont know that I've seen anything from many doctors, but the WHO doesn't think much if it, and the FDA has removed its emergancy use authorization and stated it may do more harm then good, please seek your physician for a case by case recommendation. Time will tell, but If an already common drug had a significant effect in treatment, why has covid spread so much?
Maybe because it has not been prescribed/used enough?
Also, my understanding is that it does not stop the spread but it has been an effective treatment for some patients helping them to recover more quickly.
I think that if it worked well, it would be talked about more. 4.6 million Americans teated positive and almost 160,000 dead (26.2% and 23% of the world totals respectively) should have provided a large enough sample size especially as the death rate in America is HIGHER then the world average.
Oh, and the latest video that was liked (and shared by a famous son) was stating it was the Cure.
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:42 am

Sorry the italics was more in response to the previous post taking a position along the lines of: they know the risks whatever happens happens.

I would argue the NFL isn't really doing enough to reduce risk though. It's not like it would be hard for them at least have a few smaller groups of teams that don't travel, try to do meetings virtue when possible. Will they have some sort of measures on the sidelines? We haven't heard anything about employees who aren't players having any sort of support or opt out options. It's not like players are the only people who will spread things.

In the end I don't think any of this will matter. Just look at the marlins. It's going to take very little to spread through football teams compared to baseball.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:27 am

Csl312 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:42 am Sorry the italics was more in response to the previous post taking a position along the lines of: they know the risks whatever happens happens.

I would argue the NFL isn't really doing enough to reduce risk though. It's not like it would be hard for them at least have a few smaller groups of teams that don't travel, try to do meetings virtue when possible. Will they have some sort of measures on the sidelines? We haven't heard anything about employees who aren't players having any sort of support or opt out options. It's not like players are the only people who will spread things.

In the end I don't think any of this will matter. Just look at the marlins. It's going to take very little to spread through football teams compared to baseball.
Cool. Thanks for clarifying. :thumbup: I'm in the same boat with you that the NFL isn't doing enough, I just thought you were implying they were doing nothing.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:23 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:17 pm
azthecrow wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:27 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:21 pm

The available evidence does not support its use in the treatment of COVID-19 in any capacity. There’s now enough literature to pretty conclusively say that it doesn’t improve morbidity and mortality when given to patients with COVID. We also have not demonstrated benefit as post-exposure prophylaxis.

Now, I’m a physician. So these are opinions that I have because it’s my job to review this evidence and make these decisions. I’m wondering why you seem to have such a favorable opinion of this drug.
Ah. There it is. It’s wild how predictable these things are.
Yes, you are wildly transparent in that regard as well.
Somebody explain to this guy that transparent and predictable mean different words.

But yes, I’m transparent: I make decisions based on the best available evidence. I will continue to do so. If the evidence changes, I will change my practice.

That’s different from pretending to be a physician when you’re not and offering completely unqualified medical opinions based on the position of the political party that your identity is tied to.
I never offered an opinion. I simply made an observation and had some questions. Thank you to you and millworkguy for answering them.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:00 am

Cardinals Brewers game being postponed due to covid. Unclear how many have tested positive but this is simply another team (Cardinals) that has now had games postponed due to covid19 on their team.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, Fields, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens, wilson
T: Kelce, Goedert, Thomas, woods
D: cle, nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson, Browning, Rudolph, Zappe
R: Swift, Walker, Dobbins, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen, Nuk, Tre tucker, C Samuel,
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0009&O=01

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:08 am

mild wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:42 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:22 pm They are.
But is it enough? Anything short of a bubble is basically admitting that the risk of a player catching COVID is an acceptable one, and the price of doing business in 2020.

I'm not being hyperbolic; I'm just pointing out the obvious. If players catching COVID is acceptable practice (and even fans if you believe some of these teams) then where does that buck stop? If Andy Reid bites the big one (knock on wood, but he might be the highest risk coach out there) because he doesn't want to be the one not showing up for his team - then yes, he will have died fully knowing the risk he took.

But the immediate public discourse will be "to what end" and "did we really need football in a pandemic" (no) and "could the league have done more to prevent this" (yes). It is not hyperbolic nor hard to foresee this.
How do we know that this wasn't proposed and rejected by the NFLPA?

To me it's stupid that MLB isn't being played in a bubble for their 8 week season ... but I could see where a 5-6 month long bubble for the NFL is not feasible. Regardless, why is the NFL to blame? They don't have dictatorial power to mandate a bubble for the players.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:12 am

azthecrow wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:46 pm I don’t understand why anyone would be against The use of hydroxychloroquine. Many doctors have stated that it has saved lives and it has been FDA approved forever. Seems like it should be looked at positively.
It's simple. There are conflicting studies. Some show that hydroxychloroquine has no benefit, others show it has some benefit, and others show that it can actually be detrimental. For a brief synopsis with additional links to primary articles feel free to read
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2020388

R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,

Team #4 3rd

Team #5 4th

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:37 am

azthecrow wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:23 amI never offered an opinion.
azthecrow wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:46 pm I don’t understand why anyone would be against The use of hydroxychloroquine. Many doctors have stated that it has saved lives and it has been approved forever. Seems like it should be looked at positively.
azthecrow wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:56 pmMaybe because it has not been prescribed/used enough?
Also, my understanding is that it does not stop the spread but it has been an effective treatment for some patients helping them to recover more quickly.
lol ok.

These are not medical opinions. If your source of information was anything other than your political beliefs, you’d know that they’re wrong. That’s the problem though- you don’t care about expertise. You’re not asking the question/thinking critically about whether you should take medical advice from the FDA and the NEJM or if you should listen to Jared Kushner, you’re just listening to whichever one makes you feel better. This type of thinking is pervasive in this country and it’s directly responsible for the end of American Exceptionalism.

I swear, if Donald Trump Jr. retweeted somebody saying that Ronald Jones was a RB1 this year, you guys would start trading for him.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:39 am

abloom wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:12 am
azthecrow wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:46 pm I don’t understand why anyone would be against The use of hydroxychloroquine. Many doctors have stated that it has saved lives and it has been FDA approved forever. Seems like it should be looked at positively.
It's simple. There are conflicting studies. Some show that hydroxychloroquine has no benefit, others show it has some benefit, and others show that it can actually be detrimental. For a brief synopsis with additional links to primary articles feel free to read
Thank you for that information :thumbup:
I have relatives in Imperial County, CA where there is a significant outbreak and they have told me that hydroxychloroquine is being prescribed and effective there. I have been able to avoid the virus to this point but am interested in the various ways that it is being treated.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:41 am

What's perplexing to me is, the MLB literally has its league in a bubble for Spring Training and they opted to not follow that same method?

I know most professional teams charter out, and some have their own planes but still...it makes so much more sense to do what the NBA did, albeit, I know the rosters are significantly smaller but still.

I posted this in another thread, but I just don't think I'm going to be on board with forking big money over this fantasy season.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:32 am

azthecrow wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:39 am
abloom wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:12 am
Thank you for that information :thumbup:
I have relatives in Imperial County, CA where there is a significant outbreak and they have told me that hydroxychloroquine is being prescribed and effective there. I have been able to avoid the virus to this point but am interested in the various ways that it is being treated.
Your relatives likely have no basis to know if it is effective or not. True tests look at large scale populations with and without treatment hopefully with patients at a variety of severity of covid19 infections. The majority of studies so far have lacked these standards and that is why there is significant disagreement between studies.

Team #4 3rd

Team #5 4th

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:02 am

Last edited by kadun2 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:07 am

30 MLB games have been cancelled as of now.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2