fantasy impact of coronavirus

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: fantasy impact of coronavirus

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:28 am

millworkguy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:35 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:33 am
millworkguy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:23 am League and nflpa have agreed the cap will be no lower then 175 million next season, it could drop by 23.8 million this season, and would continue to drop over 3 more seasons (if need be)
Wow. So all these guys like Dak/Dalvin etc are going to find it hard pressed to get a deal compared to what they thought. That rookie QB deal will be even more of a thing now, as contracts like RW will handicap teams even more, as it will be an even higher percentage of the cap hit.
I think all existing deals may have to drop by the same %. Otherwise you could really F over teams that had a ton of cap space this season and used it
Yeah, my point was guys like Dak didn't sign last season, assuming the cap would go up again, and now it's dropping significantly. 35 million a year is extremely unlikely right now.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:33 am

millworkguy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:35 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:33 am
millworkguy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:23 am League and nflpa have agreed the cap will be no lower then 175 million next season, it could drop by 23.8 million this season, and would continue to drop over 3 more seasons (if need be)
Wow. So all these guys like Dak/Dalvin etc are going to find it hard pressed to get a deal compared to what they thought. That rookie QB deal will be even more of a thing now, as contracts like RW will handicap teams even more, as it will be an even higher percentage of the cap hit.
I think all existing deals may have to drop by the same %. Otherwise you could really F over teams that had a ton of cap space this season and used it
Saw something that 6 teams are over the 2020 cap as of right now. Don't remember all the teams, but recall Philly and New Orleans.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:56 am

Wil a lower cap impact the franchise tag? That could be even worse for guys who waited on getting extended.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:16 am

I would think any lowering of contracts would have to be agreed upon by the NFLPA. The NFL may create some sort of provisional out for teams to cut guys and get under the cap, but remember Russ Wilson wanted his contract attached to a percentage of the cap and the Seahawks rejected that idea. No way the players will just quietly take a cap % pay cut when teams haven't been willing to sign guys to a rolling cap percentage contract. Especially if they are still expected to play the same amount of games.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:24 am

Csl312 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:56 am Wil a lower cap impact the franchise tag? That could be even worse for guys who waited on getting extended.
It's based on the top 5 salaries at that position, so it shouldn't.

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:53 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:24 am
Csl312 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:56 am Wil a lower cap impact the franchise tag? That could be even worse for guys who waited on getting extended.
It may impact teams willing to use it
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:59 am

Also, a team may have more players tolling and really screwing up the cap on them. If all your tolling contracts where guys on 1 yr deals, and for 25-30 million, there maybe other issues.
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:30 am

In light of the MLB cancellations ... some free advice for the NFL. Eliminate weekly byes and schedule two league-wide byes during the season. Then the games that are inevitably going to be cancelled can be played in one of the two bye weeks.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:56 am

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:30 am In light of the MLB cancellations ... some free advice for the NFL. Eliminate weekly byes and schedule two league-wide byes during the season. Then the games that are inevitably going to be cancelled can be played in one of the two bye weeks.
Yeah, and it will be a headache for FF regardless. Cancelled games will just be luck of the draw, I think. Can't retroactively change weeks outcomes. It will just be like having more players on a bye.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:55 pm

MLB just suspended the Marlins season ... wow. If the NFL had to do that, fantasy leagues would be blown up. You would have to end your league there, no?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 528651002/

EDIT: As of now, Marlins season only suspended through Sunday ... but how long can that go on without canceling their entire season.

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:08 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:55 pm MLB just suspended the Marlins season ... wow. If the NFL had to do that, fantasy leagues would be blown up. You would have to end your league there, no?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 528651002/

EDIT: As of now, Marlins season only suspended through Sunday ... but how long can that go on without canceling their entire season.
They are just delaying making the call. I've been saying for 2 days I cant see how they play for 2 weeks. Haven't read the article, any clue 9n how they make up the games?
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:42 pm

millworkguy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:53 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:24 am
It may impact teams willing to use it
I couldn't remember if there was anything more to it than averaging the top 5. That said I wouldn't be surprised if the ownership tried some shenanigans to somehow devalue contracts under the tag as the cap drops significantly. Otherwise it will basically be untenable to tag almost any player.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:58 am

Looks like the only thing really working is the bubble idea, so if the NFL doesn't do that, then I fully expect a lot of disruption and cancellations ..
@PlankMelody

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: COVID. The NON Fantasy football discussion

Postby Ray Finkle » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:09 am

I have never understood why it needs to be so uncomfortable to discuss politics. Why do the majority of us have to dig in so deep? I’m fine with you feeling the need for a tax dollar funding one thing and my opinion being that it should fund something else just like I’m fine with you liking ketchup more than mustard even though I know that’s incorrect. I get that we all become passionate about certain things like abortion or the death penalty, which we should. The COVID topic quickly became the same way it seems as it has became intertwined with politics. Barf. I am very cautious these days. It’s a total bummer that my high risk mother who thankfully has been in remission the last decade has not been able to experience one second of month 12-18 of her newest granddaughter. As a family, we all agree that it’s not worth the risk of us visiting my parent’s home as of now. However, I have no problem hearing out someone’s opinion on why they aren’t “sold” on the pandemic and don’t believe there is as much risk. However, it’s such a turn off when either side digs in and gets all jerky toward the other side. I wish we could all try to be open minded and make decisions with others in mind, even if that means making sacrifices, which it does.

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Re: COVID. The NON Fantasy football discussion

Postby millworkguy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:52 am

There has been a grow trend of changing the narrative, to suit an argument. Rather then listening to what each side wants to say, it becomes a face mask infringes on MY rights, Rather then hearing a scientific based argument for them. Furthermore, it ignores the rights of the person who asked you to put it on, and the person who owns the land your walking on. America was founded on freedoms, and I'm a firm believer that consent adults can do whatever they want with other consenting adults (in their own home). But we have been a society of "Me" rather than listening to each other anymore, and trying to find a common purpose. Things become political, when we ignore our ethics and let the majority do as they will.

I am allowed to say "no trespassing " I'm allowed to post "trespassers will be shot" but posting you must wear a mask to come onto my property becomes a rights issue. I dont get it. My "no shoes no shirt no service" poster has been up for 25 years without a single protest, or arguing about it their choice to come into my place naked.

The gun lobby changed the narrative in the 70's and 80's from an avid hunters group, to that of an organization dedicated to protect your rights from an intrusive government.
Last edited by millworkguy on Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)