Denzel Mims official thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Denzel Mims official thread

Postby Shcritters » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:18 am

Denzel is someone who was under the radar, had a huge bump at the combine, and has fizzled of late. Clearly the landing spot with Gase is terrible (look at all the players who have had success once out from under his shadow), but he does immediately step into the #1 WR role for NYJ and has a young QB with a gunslinger mentality in Darnold.

What do we as the community think of him? This is a weird situation where a player who seems to have talent (although somewhat under the radar his playerprofiler comp is Chris Godwin, who was also somewhat under the radar for his first year in the league) but has landed in a mixture of good/bad place (good in the situation with little competition and a developing QB to build rapport with and bad because of the coach).

I got him at 2.05 recently and am pretty pleased, think he has WR2 upside potentially as early as next year (low end).
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Chubb, Connor, Pacheco, Mattison, DCook, Perine
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, JJeudy, CSutton, Flowers, MThomas, Slayton, DParker, CDavis, DMims
TE: DSchultz, Musgrave, MGesicki, McBride, Kraft, Dissly
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.10, 1.12, 2.01, 2.02

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: Hull, Jackson, Vaughn, Wilson
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.07, 1.09, 1.10, 1.12, 2.01

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Denzel Mims official thread

Postby murphysxm » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:27 am

He is a Baylor WR, I never invest capital in them because well, they don't do well in the NFL
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:02 am

Sure, Baylor, Jets, Gase have mostly been a dumpster fire overall and for rookies, but I still like Mims long term.

This year, not going to worry too much. I had the choice of Higgins or Mims (Pittman was gone), and those three were all pretty close to me: good and bad, mixed bag prospects.

The Gase hiring was illogical, but that's the NFL for you sometimes. Expecting big changes for the Jets and Mims in '21.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

Dynasty_Analyst
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dynasty_Analyst » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:18 am

No matter how you feel about him you can probably have at an even better price next year. Probably not going to have a great year considering the lack of practice reps he will get but that shouldn’t affect him long term.
Fantasy Writer- 5 Yard Rush
@5yardrush @5yarddynasty
https://5yardrush.co.uk/

Content Creator- The Coaches Fantasy Podcast
@coachesfantasy Thefantasycoaches.com

@Dynasty_Analyst - Dynasty content, advice, and tidbits. Hit me up anytime to chat about your dynasty team if you need trade advice, input on the direction to move your team, or anything else.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:44 am

I admit that landing spot is a huge negative for me. I'll take him in the mid to late second round in rookie drafts, which means I most likely won't be getting him.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:29 am

Talk about boom or bust. Monster combine, looks great at times, leaves you scratching your head other times. I think he'll be very similar to DeVantae Parker. Best case scenario Alshon, he'll be an interesting follow.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:19 am

murphysxm wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:27 am He is a Baylor WR, I never invest capital in them because well, they don't do well in the NFL
Corey Coleman, Kendall Wright, Terrance Williams and Josh Gordon in the supplemental. I guess attitude issues might be a common theme and Mims has some risk there given his inconsistent effort level on the field. Don’t know enough about Wright or Williams on that though.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:27 am

ericanadian wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:19 am
murphysxm wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:27 am He is a Baylor WR, I never invest capital in them because well, they don't do well in the NFL
Corey Coleman, Kendall Wright, Terrance Williams and Josh Gordon in the supplemental. I guess attitude issues might be a common theme and Mims has some risk there given his inconsistent effort level on the field. Don’t know enough about Wright or Williams on that though.
Attitude issues aside, Mims numbers in college are comparable to most you have listed. Gordon is the outlier, nobody was ever esctatic rostering any of the rest
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:36 am

I like Mims, and like the spot for his target volume. He's in line to be the X, and was drafted to be IMO. He's got a great profile, the only knock being a senior, but he did play with a broken hand as a junior, so returned to improve his numbers and draft stock.

Not sure what people are talking about with inconsistent effort, Mims is a high effort player IMO, including blocking, where he really gets stuck in. The Baylor this is mildly concerning, like the Wisconsin RB thing, but Mims does not profile like Coleman/Wright, and Coleman didn't care about football and had hands of stone. The NFL is running a lot more spread/college based stuff, too, so I don't think it's nearly as much of an issue as some would make it out to be. I really respect Brett's work, he did a piece on Mims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VzzDaz1Hbk
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:31 pm

I got him at 2.07 and wishing i just waited until next offseason to acquire him for like a 3rd. I truly believe almost all rookie Wrs are gonna be bad this year just due to the weird offseason and that being one of the hardest positions to learn. Add the jets and Gase to that and he is almost guaranteed to look bad this season. This community judges rookie seasons too much, which i understand to a point, if that trend continues i really expect many of the good ro great WRs from this class to be very cheap next offseason.

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Patsfan86 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:31 pm I got him at 2.07 and wishing i just waited until next offseason to acquire him for like a 3rd. I truly believe almost all rookie Wrs are gonna be bad this year just due to the weird offseason and that being one of the hardest positions to learn. Add the jets and Gase to that and he is almost guaranteed to look bad this season. This community judges rookie seasons too much, which i understand to a point, if that trend continues i really expect many of the good ro great WRs from this class to be very cheap next offseason.
Don’t we think this narrative will make more experiences owners more willing to hold rookies than bail? And don’t rookie WRs typically maintain their value after the first year unless they completely face plant (ala Hakeem Butler in ARI)? And given the uncertainty of value of draft picks next year don’t we think people will be less willing to trade for picks rather than known commodities of players?

I’ve already reached out about some other rookie WRs and been told my draft picks next year aren’t worth as much given the uncertainty surrounding the fall college season. Not trying to derail this thread on this topic, but I don’t necessarily agree with the narrative above.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Chubb, Connor, Pacheco, Mattison, DCook, Perine
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, JJeudy, CSutton, Flowers, MThomas, Slayton, DParker, CDavis, DMims
TE: DSchultz, Musgrave, MGesicki, McBride, Kraft, Dissly
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.10, 1.12, 2.01, 2.02

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: Hull, Jackson, Vaughn, Wilson
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.07, 1.09, 1.10, 1.12, 2.01

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:03 pm

Not a big fan of Mims.

He doesn’t look nearly as fast on the field as he tested at the combine and those guys are always concerning. Not very explosive out of his breaks and struggles to make himself compact. Really raw player who mostly ran slants, back shoulders, and go routes. Plus draft capital was disappointing (I’m a little upset about that because I thought he would push more players I like down).

He’s intriguing given his combo of strong hands and testing athleticism but he’s a super raw player. I’d much rather have someone like Aiyuk, Shenault, Higgins, or Shenault over him and don’t see a huge difference bw him, Hamler, Claypool, and Van Jeff.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:11 pm

Chwf3rd wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:03 pm Not a big fan of Mims.

He doesn’t look nearly as fast on the field as he tested at the combine and those guys are always concerning. Not very explosive out of his breaks and struggles to make himself compact. Really raw player who mostly ran slants, back shoulders, and go routes. Plus draft capital was disappointing (I’m a little upset about that because I thought he would push more players I like down).

He’s intriguing given his combo of strong hands and testing athleticism but he’s a super raw player. I’d much rather have someone like Aiyuk, Shenault, Higgins, or Shenault over him and don’t see a huge difference bw him, Hamler, Claypool, and Van Jeff.
Higgins I get but Aiyuk has one of the lowest hit profiles imaginable.

I don't see any argument for him over Mims except draft capital. Even the situation is worse imo

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:13 pm

Personally I think he a near exact replica of DJ Chark with a little more physicality and a slightly less explosiveness

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:17 pm

Shcritters wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:09 pm
Patsfan86 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:31 pm I got him at 2.07 and wishing i just waited until next offseason to acquire him for like a 3rd. I truly believe almost all rookie Wrs are gonna be bad this year just due to the weird offseason and that being one of the hardest positions to learn. Add the jets and Gase to that and he is almost guaranteed to look bad this season. This community judges rookie seasons too much, which i understand to a point, if that trend continues i really expect many of the good ro great WRs from this class to be very cheap next offseason.
Don’t we think this narrative will make more experiences owners more willing to hold rookies than bail? And don’t rookie WRs typically maintain their value after the first year unless they completely face plant (ala Hakeem Butler in ARI)? And given the uncertainty of value of draft picks next year don’t we think people will be less willing to trade for picks rather than known commodities of players?

I’ve already reached out about some other rookie WRs and been told my draft picks next year aren’t worth as much given the uncertainty surrounding the fall college season. Not trying to derail this thread on this topic, but I don’t necessarily agree with the narrative above.
I see your point but not everyone has the patience you do to hold those rookies. I also dont agree with rookies holding value unless they face plant, Nkeal Harry for instance IMO didnt face plant since he was out half the season and is still very unknown but his value is totally gone from what it was. There will still be anxious owners who want to bail on some of these rookies while they still feel they can after this season is over. I dont feel that is true for guys like Ceedee of Jeudy, but Mims? Definitely. I do 100 percent agree that 21 picks arent worth as much as usual but that could change by this time next year.