Dak's Future

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Dak's Future

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:21 am

So it seems as if the long term outlook for Prescott is very much up in the air. Cousins and Brees are the only two QB's to play on the tag in the new Millennium, I believe, and both ended with the QB moving on.

Dak's brother posting some serious spite at the Cowboys, and it's been rumoured the relationship between player and owner is fractured. Is this Dak's last year in Dallas? Will he get tagged again next year? I would think a long term deal in Dallas is the least likely scenario at this point.

This could obviously affect Cooper, Lamb, Gallup etc.

What are your thoughts?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Dak's Future

Postby nathanq42 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:50 am

Tony Romo would have won a superbowl with that 2016 team. I think Dak is aiming a little too high for his level of play. And dont get me wrong, he is a top 10 QB with the Cowboys (who have an amazing Oline, receiving options, and a god tier runningback) but on an individual level... Dude got blown out by Derek Carr's Journeyman QB brother in a suit at the pro bowl in an accuracy game... I wouldn't pay more than 30 mil for him, and I doubt he is taking 30 mil. He wants Mahommes money, but isnt better than Wilson who is making 35 mil. Hard to see them reaching an agreement that doesnt hamstring the cowboys and makes Dak happy at the same time
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:58 am

nathanq42 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:50 am Tony Romo would have won a superbowl with that 2016 team. I think Dak is aiming a little too high for his level of play. And dont get me wrong, he is a top 10 QB with the Cowboys (who have an amazing Oline, receiving options, and a god tier runningback) but on an individual level... Dude got blown out by Derek Carr's Journeyman QB brother in a suit at the pro bowl in an accuracy game... I wouldn't pay more than 30 mil for him, and I doubt he is taking 30 mil. He wants Mahommes money, but isnt better than Wilson who is making 35 mil. Hard to see them reaching an agreement that doesnt hamstring the cowboys and makes Dak happy at the same time
I think he was probably being offered between 30-35, and I agree he's aiming too high. I'm also curious how much being the Cowboys QB adds to your endorsements, compared to say, being Jacksonville's QB? He will be taking a hit there, for sure. I think the writing is on the wall for Dak's long term future in Dallas. I'd be surprised to see them reach a deal, now. I am curious if they tag him one more year, or move in another direction next year.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:16 pm

Turning down 100M guaranteed on a great, nationally recognized roster seems foolish. He may earn more elsewhere, but doubtful he lands in a better situation.
Last edited by Orenthal Shames on Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:25 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:58 am

I think he was probably being offered between 30-35, and I agree he's aiming too high. I'm also curious how much being the Cowboys QB adds to your endorsements, compared to say, being Jacksonville's QB? He will be taking a hit there, for sure. I think the writing is on the wall for Dak's long term future in Dallas. I'd be surprised to see them reach a deal, now. I am curious if they tag him one more year, or move in another direction next year.
A LOT. There is zero chance he would have had all those Campbells Chunky Soup commercials if his career was exactly the same to this point, but in just about any other uniform. Same thing with Witten getting the MNF football gig. Romo probably would have made it as a commentator on his own because he is so good at it, but he wouldn't have been put next to Jim Nantz right away if he weren't a Cowboy. It really is a major factor.

Honestly I think the Cowboys are handling Dak correctly, they aren't falling into the trap (so far) of handing Elite QB money to a QB who is only pretty good. I doubt it actually happens, but I think a perfect ending to this whole thing for them is playing out the year and probably finishing anywhere from just missing the playoffs to a 2nd round exit, then tagging him again, and then during the draft packaging him with their 1st round pick to move up and get Lawrence/Fields/Lance. Then they would get a much cheaper QB to go along with all their high priced stars, making their cap situation really comfortable, and that QB will also be much more talented and have more upside of a true Franchise QB. Obviously it would take another team willing to do that deal and who knows if they would, but maybe it's a GM and HC looking to save their jobs and they feel the high quality veteran QB plus a 1st rounder at another position is a good way to turn things around in a very short time.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:46 pm

Worst case for Dak is that he sits and Dalton performs just as well or better. Could be walking into a LeVeon/Conner situation.
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:50 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:46 pm Worst case for Dak is that he sits and Dalton performs just as well or better. Could be walking into a LeVeon/Conner situation.
Dak is essentially a more athletic Andy Dalton who was given a far better supporting cast at the beginning of his career. Dalton will play well if he ends up seeing the field, and there will be little to no drop off.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:50 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:46 pm Worst case for Dak is that he sits and Dalton performs just as well or better. Could be walking into a LeVeon/Conner situation.
He's already said he is not sitting I thought

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:06 pm

Good QB in an optimal spot for fantasy purposes. I feel like he's a screaming sell high

grooner
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby grooner » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:13 pm

Meh I kind of agree with how Dak handled this. He made peanuts the last four years, putting up elite numbers and never said a word (at least in public). He gets tagged an is guaranteed 31M for 1 year. The cowboys then offer some sort of deal, 30-35 per year, but with only 100M guaranteed based on all reports. Everyone knows the only number that matters is the guarantee. That means he was really only offered 70M guaranteed over four extra years, that is quite low in terms of guarantees imo. Going the Cousins route will end up in a lot more money. Yes he has a good team, but he is also good. If he gets tagged again next year, he would get something like 40-45? That is 70% of the guaranteed money in two years, rather than 5. I guess it really depends how the contract was structured, but I am with Dak on this one personally. I think the 30-35 is the right number for him, but would expect more guaranteed than 100M.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:31 pm

grooner wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:13 pm Meh I kind of agree with how Dak handled this. He made peanuts the last four years, putting up elite numbers and never said a word (at least in public). He gets tagged an is guaranteed 31M for 1 year. The cowboys then offer some sort of deal, 30-35 per year, but with only 100M guaranteed based on all reports. Everyone knows the only number that matters is the guarantee. That means he was really only offered 70M guaranteed over four extra years, that is quite low in terms of guarantees imo. Going the Cousins route will end up in a lot more money. Yes he has a good team, but he is also good. If he gets tagged again next year, he would get something like 40-45? That is 70% of the guaranteed money in two years, rather than 5. I guess it really depends how the contract was structured, but I am with Dak on this one personally. I think the 30-35 is the right number for him, but would expect more guaranteed than 100M.
37 million will be the tag next year, roughly. It is also being said the cap will drop significantly next year, and possibly the year after. Taking the guarantees and being a Cowboys QB with the millions of extra money he would get from endorsements would probably have been the better move, IMO. He's good, but not great. If the Cowboys cut ties next year, he will enter a market with a few other QB's, 2-3 really good rookie QB's, and a cap number that is probably a good deal less than what it is this year. I'm not so sure he gets a better offer than the one he got from the Cowboys.

I would not call Dak's numbers elite, either. Last year he put up a ton of yards, but up until last year, he'd never hit 4,000 yards, and 23 TD passes was his career high. We'll see how it all shakes out, but it seems likely his days in Dallas are numbered.

Packerland
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Packerland » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:41 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:31 pm
grooner wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:13 pm Meh I kind of agree with how Dak handled this. He made peanuts the last four years, putting up elite numbers and never said a word (at least in public). He gets tagged an is guaranteed 31M for 1 year. The cowboys then offer some sort of deal, 30-35 per year, but with only 100M guaranteed based on all reports. Everyone knows the only number that matters is the guarantee. That means he was really only offered 70M guaranteed over four extra years, that is quite low in terms of guarantees imo. Going the Cousins route will end up in a lot more money. Yes he has a good team, but he is also good. If he gets tagged again next year, he would get something like 40-45? That is 70% of the guaranteed money in two years, rather than 5. I guess it really depends how the contract was structured, but I am with Dak on this one personally. I think the 30-35 is the right number for him, but would expect more guaranteed than 100M.
37 million will be the tag next year, roughly. It is also being said the cap will drop significantly next year, and possibly the year after. Taking the guarantees and being a Cowboys QB with the millions of extra money he would get from endorsements would probably have been the better move, IMO. He's good, but not great. If the Cowboys cut ties next year, he will enter a market with a few other QB's, 2-3 really good rookie QB's, and a cap number that is probably a good deal less than what it is this year. I'm not so sure he gets a better offer than the one he got from the Cowboys.

I would not call Dak's numbers elite, either. Last year he put up a ton of yards, but up until last year, he'd never hit 4,000 yards, and 23 TD passes was his career high. We'll see how it all shakes out, but it seems likely his days in Dallas are numbered.
I agree with this. IMO Dak is not an elite QB but Dallas has done a lot to get the best out of him. He has a top 5 line, a top 4 RB, and a top 3 trio of WR's right now, he should be putting up great numbers. Dak was a great QB fantasy wise last year but obviously fantasy stats don't equal wins in the NFL. I also think Dak's days in Dallas could be numbered. It's crazy to me to turn down $100 million guaranteed as just an average Joe.
10 Team .5 PPR 1 QB League

QB: Goff, Brady, Herbert, Tannehill
RB: CEH, JT, Akers, Dobbins, Mixon
WR: Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Lamb, Chark, Claypool, Pittman, Diontae, Anderson
TE: Andrews, Goedert

Picks:
2021: 4 1sts, 1 2nd
2022: 1 1st, 2 2nds

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:11 am

Dak and the Cowboys are both playing their cards correctly IMO.

Dak probably has the largest single cap hit of any player in the NFL in 2020. He will make 31 million which is great money and about what teams pay QB's these days.

If he plays great he will get massive deal which Dallas will pay. If he doesn't then Dallas didn't throw a massive amount away.

Cousins has probably made more than player in the history of football the last few years playing under the tag twice then getting a big contract.

Dallas not Dak are really in control of the situation financially but Dak is doing just fine. Unlike a Mahomes, Dak hasn't really won anything of consequence just yet.

Big fan of Dak but also think Dallas is pretty smart given the state of things today in professional football.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:34 am

If you only look at the Dak situation in a vacuum, then it would appear that they’re playing their cards correctly. The reality is that they already bungled this last offseason when they paid Zeke instead of just locking in Dak to an extension similar to what Wentz signed. (Wentz’s extension was $32m a year, Prescott asked for $34m, paying him $32.5m probably gets it done.) Instead, they locked up the most one of the most replaceable positions in football, and now they’re going to have to franchise Dak and likely lose him for nothing.

So yeah, they’re currently picking the better option between “franchise Dak” and “give Dak a monstrous 40m+/year contract” but that doesn’t mean they’ve handled the situation well.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:52 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:34 am If you only look at the Dak situation in a vacuum, then it would appear that they’re playing their cards correctly. The reality is that they already bungled this last offseason when they paid Zeke instead of just locking in Dak to an extension similar to what Wentz signed. (Wentz’s extension was $32m a year, Prescott asked for $34m, paying him $32.5m probably gets it done.) Instead, they locked up the most one of the most replaceable positions in football, and now they’re going to have to franchise Dak and likely lose him for nothing.

So yeah, they’re currently picking the better option between “franchise Dak” and “give Dak a monstrous 40m+/year contract” but that doesn’t mean they’ve handled the situation well.
Very true. Jerry Jones has the biggest hard-on for Zeke in the world. Over drafted him big time, then gave him a crazy extension ahead of the most valuable position in the game
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06