Rookie Draft is season is cancelled

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
trc
Captain
Captain

Re: Rookie Draft is season is cancelled

Postby trc » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:06 am

mild wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:00 am
trc wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:29 am It doesn't matter if you take them out or leave them in. The relative likelihood is all the same, as there is only x valid tickets in the bowl.
For example, if the team with the 10 tickets gets drawn the first draw - there are 9 non-valid tickets in the bowl.
So it's 55 tickets total in a 10 + 9 + 8 + 7... setup.

Does the league winner with 1 ticket have a better shot of drawing that ticket in a bowl of 54 tickets, or in a bowl of 45 tickets?

A draw for a non-valid ticket is a push, and triggers a re-draw - but it still puts the 1-in-54 ticket in a less probabilistic situation, and gives the other more probable tickets a 2nd chance at hitting their probabilities.

You're welcome 8-) ps. don't gamble!
This is why I put in relative likelihood.
The chance ratio between each ticket holder will be the same. The one with 2 tickets will always have double the chance to get picked compared to the one with 1 ticket.

So yes the likelihood looking solely at the 1-ticket-holder is better in a 45 ticket situation than 54. But the likelihood also increased for everybody else (actually the 9-ticket holder goes from 16,7 % to 20 % likelihood, the 1-ticket holder from 1,9% to 2,2%).

You're welcome :lol:
PS - dont educate.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:10 am

trc wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:06 am
trc wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:29 am It doesn't matter if you take them out or leave them in. The relative likelihood is all the same, as there is only x valid tickets in the bowl.
For example, if the team with the 10 tickets gets drawn the first draw - there are 9 non-valid tickets in the bowl.

Does the league winner with 1 ticket have a better shot of drawing that ticket in a bowl of 54 tickets, or in a bowl of 45 tickets?

A draw for a non-valid ticket is a push, and triggers a re-draw - but it still puts the 1-in-54 ticket in a less probabilistic situation, and gives the other more probable tickets a 2nd chance at hitting their probabilities.

This is why I put in relative likelihood.
The chance ratio between each ticket holder will be the same. The one with 2 tickets will always have double the chance to get picked compared to the one with 1 ticket.

So yes the likelihood looking solely at the 1-ticket-holder is better in a 45 ticket situation than 54. But the likelihood also increased for everybody else (actually the 9-ticket holder goes from 16,7 % to 20 % likelihood, the 1-ticket holder from 1,9% to 2,2%).

You're welcome :lol:
PS - dont educate.
Oh you so didn't have to say relative... With the rules of redrawing on invalid tickets the chances of winning the next pick remains unchanged if you remove the tickets first or when they are drawn.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, Fields, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens, wilson
T: Kelce, Goedert, Thomas, woods
D: cle, nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson, Browning, Rudolph, Zappe
R: Swift, Walker, Dobbins, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen, Nuk, Tre tucker, C Samuel,
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0009&O=01

davidxhorn
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby davidxhorn » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:24 pm

I just wanted to drop in and share an idea that I have been kicking around. I am the commissioner of six leagues, so it's been on my mind more than I'd like to admit.

The solution for the 2021 Draft that ticks all the boxes, I think, is this:

Make it an auction. Use the 2020 pick values from the Draft Trade Value Chart (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... _value.htm). Combine each owner's point totals for all of their picks, using the different rounds' pick values, and conduct 5 separate drafts (or however many draft rounds you have). ONLY owners with picks in the current round's draft are elligible to bid (this prevents owners that might have a lot of mid-round picks accumulated from combining all their points to make a go at 1.01/a top draft pick).

Here's an example - in one of my leagues, I have 1.03, 1.06, 1.08, 1.10, 2.03, 3.03, 4.03, and 5.03 (based off of last year's standings). So, in the 2021 Rookie Auction Draft, I would have a total of 2200+1600+1400+1300+1150+760+580+470 = 9,460. I would have all 9,460 available to me in the 1st, but I don't necessarily have to use them, as they would carry over to subsequent rounds. Thus, I could theoretically pass on any Top 10 player and essentially have free reign in the 2nd round draft, but I personally think that would be a bad idea.

Nominations would only be done by the owners of the picks, going in order. Any points not spend in the 1st Round would carry over to the 2nd Round draft, etc.

I think there are a couple big advantages of this way:
  • It would be mega fun
  • It provides a level of fairness that other methods don't
  • It could potentially give owners at all levels some interesting flexibility
  • If done via e-mail, it could help pass the offseason
Thoughts?
Team 1 - 10 Team 0.5 PPR SuperFlex 27-man(2018 Champ)
Start 1x QB, 2x RB, 2x WR, 1x TE, 2x FLEX, 1x SF

QB: Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Trubisky
RB: Mixon, Henry, CEH, Darrell Henderson, Ronald Jones, Nyheim Hines
WR: Amari Cooper, Courtland Sutton, Tyler Boyd, AJ Brown, DJ Moore, Sammy Watkins, Robbie Anderson, Anthony Miller, Travis Fulgham
TE: Engram, Jonnu Smith
2021 Draft Picks: 1.03, 1.04, 1.05, 1.10, 2.02, 2.03

Team 2 - 12 Team 0.5 PPR 40-man(2018 + 2019 Champ)
1x QB, 3x RB, 3x WR, 1x TE, 1x FLEX, 1x SF

QB: Minshew, Bridgewater, Daniel Jones
RB: Ronald Jones, Conner, Gurley, Mike Davis, Deandre Swift
WR: Courtland Sutton, Sterling Shepard, Curtis Samuel, Tyler Boyd, Anthony Miller, Preston Williams
TE: Kelce, Ebron, Jonnu Smith
2021 Draft Picks: 1.04, 1.12, 1x 2nd Rounder

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:34 pm

davidxhorn wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:24 pm I just wanted to drop in and share an idea that I have been kicking around. I am the commissioner of six leagues, so it's been on my mind more than I'd like to admit.

The solution for the 2021 Draft that ticks all the boxes, I think, is this:

Make it an auction. Use the 2020 pick values from the Draft Trade Value Chart (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... _value.htm). Combine each owner's point totals for all of their picks, using the different rounds' pick values, and conduct 5 separate drafts (or however many draft rounds you have). ONLY owners with picks in the current round's draft are elligible to bid (this prevents owners that might have a lot of mid-round picks accumulated from combining all their points to make a go at 1.01/a top draft pick).

Here's an example - in one of my leagues, I have 1.03, 1.06, 1.08, 1.10, 2.03, 3.03, 4.03, and 5.03 (based off of last year's standings). So, in the 2021 Rookie Auction Draft, I would have a total of 2200+1600+1400+1300+1150+760+580+470 = 9,460. I would have all 9,460 available to me in the 1st, but I don't necessarily have to use them, as they would carry over to subsequent rounds. Thus, I could theoretically pass on any Top 10 player and essentially have free reign in the 2nd round draft, but I personally think that would be a bad idea.

Nominations would only be done by the owners of the picks, going in order. Any points not spend in the 1st Round would carry over to the 2nd Round draft, etc.

I think there are a couple big advantages of this way:
  • It would be mega fun
  • It provides a level of fairness that other methods don't
  • It could potentially give owners at all levels some interesting flexibility
  • If done via e-mail, it could help pass the offseason
Thoughts?
I don't think it's perfect but I don't think it's wrong either. But the problem still is how so you determine who has what picks?
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, Fields, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens, wilson
T: Kelce, Goedert, Thomas, woods
D: cle, nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson, Browning, Rudolph, Zappe
R: Swift, Walker, Dobbins, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen, Nuk, Tre tucker, C Samuel,
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0009&O=01

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:47 am

Had an idea I thought that would be good.

Use redraft adp (because we’re just talking about this seasons potential slotting - using dynasty adp won’t work).

Go through everyone’s roster and assign their starters their corresponding ADP value. Combine that number. The team with the lowest number is in theory the best set up to win this yr, so they would be ranked 12th, and so on.

You would need the adp to be checked on the latest date possible, but I feel like it would work.

If you really wanted to mix it up, you could simply use the redraft adp method to assign ranking, but then do a weighted lottery based on those rankings

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:12 am

abloom wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:52 am

:wtf:
... wait are you saying that if there are 54 tickets (9 invalid triggering redraws, 44 tickets that would not win for the league winner, and 1 ticket that would be a win for the league winner) that it is different than 45 tickets (1 ticket that would be a win for the league winner)?

Because if so...
There is one way to win in the second option with a 1/45 chance (thats simple and can be agreed upon right?)

There are 10 ways of winning with the first option.
(1) 1/54
(2) 9/54 x 1/53
(3) 9/54 x 8/53 x 1/52
(4) 9/54 x 8/53 x 7/52 x 1/51
(5) 9/54 x 8/53 x 7/52 x 6/51 x 1/50
(6) 9/54 x 8/53 x 7/52 x 6/51 x 5/50 x 1/49
(7) 9/54 x 8/53 x 7/52 x 6/51 x 5/50 x 4/49 x 1/48
(8) 9/54 x 8/53 x 7/52 x 6/51 x 5/50 x 4/49 x 3/48 x 1/47
(9) 9/54 x 8/53 x 7/52 x 6/51 x 5/50 x 4/49 x 3/48 x 2/47 x 1/46
(10) 9/54 x 8/53 x 7/52 x 6/51 x 5/50 x 4/49 x 3/48 x 2/47 x 1/46 x 1/45

The sum of all these ways of winning = 1/45

So if you remove the invalid tickets you have a 1/45 chance, and if you don't remove it you have a 1/45 chance

I feel like I'm doing way to many math classes in this forum....
IMO this is making it way too complicated, the system proposed above. KISS is something somebody mentioned, and I agree.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

trc
Captain
Captain

Postby trc » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:26 pm

If you want to be true to the idea behind rookie picks (worst teams gets the best picks), AND want it rather simple by leaning on the last played season. The route to go is either all play by line-up, or all play by potential points.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:57 pm

I’m hesitant to use last season as the guide too heavily because teams transform so much in an offseason. I’ve seen teams blow it up in the offseason, or mid-season last year, which will result in a poor representation of what 2020 would have been. You can’t assume continuation of that trend. A team with key injuries could double dip on draft position. Tough to have a single season carry that much weight over two draft classes. Something that takes into account the sometimes significant changes a team may have experienced should be considered.

Also, hilarious that someone thinks a bunch of random dead tickets in a draw in any way changes the eligible ticket probability relative to one another. All they do is save you the hassle of trying to take them all out after each eligible selection. The relative probability for remaining tickets remains unchanged whether they are left in or are removed.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:35 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:57 pm I’m hesitant to use last season as the guide too heavily because teams transform so much in an offseason. I’ve seen teams blow it up in the offseason, or mid-season last year, which will result in a poor representation of what 2020 would have been. You can’t assume continuation of that trend. A team with key injuries could double dip on draft position. Tough to have a single season carry that much weight over two draft classes. Something that takes into account the sometimes significant changes a team may have experienced should be considered.
I agree. Using last year's results is simple but not accurate, imo.

Similar to the idea of using ADP mentioned earlier, I've been toying with using point projections. It won't account for injuries/suspensions or breakouts/slumps, but at least it'd be based on this year's rosters, not last year's.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

grooner
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby grooner » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:20 am

I agree that there is no real "right" way to do it, but after talking with my league mates in the two leagues I commish we are proposing the following, and putting it to a vote (I saw the idea somewhere on this board, but can't find it now).

1. If the NFL season goes ahead as normal, so will we (obviously).
2. If the NFL season goes ahead but with a shortened season, such as 13 games, I assume the sites will create a setting to have the league. If not, we will have the last 3 weeks of the season be the playoffs as normal, with the other games being the regular season.
3. If the season is cut short in the middle, and more than 8 games are played (half the fantasy season), we consider it as final. We will crown a champion using our current standings, record, points for, and use the inverse of the rankings for the 2021 draft.
4. If 7 or fewer games are played, we will consider it a lost season and no champion will be crowned. 2021 draft order will be determined as below:

The bottom six teams from the 2019 season will be put into a weighted lottery (using randonm.org list randomizer (https://www.random.org/lists/) The number of "balls" will be:
12th - 6
11th - 5
10th - 4
9th - 3
8th - 2
7th - 1
I will randomize the list and the top team in the list randomizer will get the first pick.
The team that got the first pick will be removed, and every team will get added one more "ball." the 6th place team will also be added, with one ball.
For example if the first pick was awarded to the 10th place team, the number of "balls" for the 2nd overall pick will be:
12th - 6
11th - 5
9th - 4
8th - 3
7th - 2
6th - 1

This will continue until there are six teams left (the 7th overall pick) and when a team is chosen, their balls will be removed, with no more added back on.
For example if the 7th pick balls looked like:
6th - 6
5th - 5
4th - 4
3rd - 3
2nd - 2
1st - 1
And the 4th place team won, the number of balls for the 8th overall
6th - 6
5th - 5
3rd - 3
2nd - 2
1st - 1
And the 2nd place team won, the number of balls for the 9th overall
6th - 6
5th - 5
3rd - 3
1st - 1
etc.

This allows the bottom teams from 2019 the chance for a higher pick, and the highest the champ can pick is 7th.

It would be a snake draft as there was no season it makes it a little "fairer".

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:29 pm

grooner wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:20 am I agree that there is no real "right" way to do it, but after talking with my league mates in the two leagues I commish we are proposing the following, and putting it to a vote (I saw the idea somewhere on this board, but can't find it now).

1. If the NFL season goes ahead as normal, so will we (obviously).
2. If the NFL season goes ahead but with a shortened season, such as 13 games, I assume the sites will create a setting to have the league. If not, we will have the last 3 weeks of the season be the playoffs as normal, with the other games being the regular season.
3. If the season is cut short in the middle, and more than 8 games are played (half the fantasy season), we consider it as final. We will crown a champion using our current standings, record, points for, and use the inverse of the rankings for the 2021 draft.
4. If 7 or fewer games are played, we will consider it a lost season and no champion will be crowned. 2021 draft order will be determined as below:

The bottom six teams from the 2019 season will be put into a weighted lottery (using randonm.org list randomizer (https://www.random.org/lists/) The number of "balls" will be:
12th - 6
11th - 5
10th - 4
9th - 3
8th - 2
7th - 1
I will randomize the list and the top team in the list randomizer will get the first pick.
The team that got the first pick will be removed, and every team will get added one more "ball." the 6th place team will also be added, with one ball.
For example if the first pick was awarded to the 10th place team, the number of "balls" for the 2nd overall pick will be:
12th - 6
11th - 5
9th - 4
8th - 3
7th - 2
6th - 1

This will continue until there are six teams left (the 7th overall pick) and when a team is chosen, their balls will be removed, with no more added back on.
For example if the 7th pick balls looked like:
6th - 6
5th - 5
4th - 4
3rd - 3
2nd - 2
1st - 1
And the 4th place team won, the number of balls for the 8th overall
6th - 6
5th - 5
3rd - 3
2nd - 2
1st - 1
And the 2nd place team won, the number of balls for the 9th overall
6th - 6
5th - 5
3rd - 3
1st - 1
etc.

This allows the bottom teams from 2019 the chance for a higher pick, and the highest the champ can pick is 7th.

It would be a snake draft as there was no season it makes it a little "fairer".
Similar to what I posted here: https://forum.dynastyleaguefootball.co ... y#p1832485
Ours is a little more heavily weighted; instead of adding one ball to every team each time, we’re adding the same weighted number each time, and we’re only going 5 at a time. Looks like this:
12th- 5 balls
11- 4 balls
10- 3 balls
9- 2 balls
8- 1 ball

Say 11th team gets picked, the next round goes:
12- 10 balls (+5)
10- 7 balls (+4)
9- 5 balls (+3)
8- 3 balls (+2)
7- 1 ball (+1)

This way more heavily weights the odds in favor of the bad teams, and makes it less likely that the worst team drops considerably. It might be worth investigating the makeup of your league. If you’re a new league, where the last place team was a productive struggler that just loaded up on 2020 picks, it might make more sense to go with a formula less heavily weighted toward the bad teams. If you’re an older league with some real talent barren teams, it might make more sense to go with the more heavily weighted plan I described.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:11 pm

If there is no season this year, perhaps it might be best to just postpone the draft next year to the following year. Teams wouldn't be able to roster any of the 2021 rookies until after the 2022 draft and any traded 2021 draft picks would become 2022 draft picks.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:32 am

Hottoddies wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:11 pm If there is no season this year, perhaps it might be best to just postpone the draft next year to the following year. Teams wouldn't be able to roster any of the 2021 rookies until after the 2022 draft and any traded 2021 draft picks would become 2022 draft picks.
That seems fraught with potholes and landmines. In one league, a team gobbled up 3 more 2021 1sts along with other rounds, while another sold all their 2021 picks for 2022 ones or players to help this year. That doesn't even talk about the other teams in that league alone.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

grooner
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby grooner » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:42 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:29 pm Similar to what I posted here: https://forum.dynastyleaguefootball.co ... y#p1832485
Ours is a little more heavily weighted; instead of adding one ball to every team each time, we’re adding the same weighted number each time, and we’re only going 5 at a time. Looks like this:
12th- 5 balls
11- 4 balls
10- 3 balls
9- 2 balls
8- 1 ball

12- 10 balls (+5)
10- 7 balls (+4)
9- 5 balls (+3)
8- 3 balls (+2)
7- 1 ball (+1)

This way more heavily weights the odds in favor of the bad teams, and makes it less likely that the worst team drops considerably. It might be worth investigating the makeup of your league. If you’re a new league, where the last place team was a productive struggler that just loaded up on 2020 picks, it might make more sense to go with a formula less heavily weighted toward the bad teams. If you’re an older league with some real talent barren teams, it might make more sense to go with the more heavily weighted plan I described.
Ah yes that is where I read it!

That makes some sense actually. Are you planning on doing a snake draft, or the same every round as usual?

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:54 am

grooner wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:42 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:29 pm Similar to what I posted here: https://forum.dynastyleaguefootball.co ... y#p1832485
12th- 5 balls
11- 4 balls
10- 3 balls
9- 2 balls
8- 1 ball

12- 10 balls (+5)
10- 7 balls (+4)
9- 5 balls (+3)
8- 3 balls (+2)
7- 1 ball (+1)

Ah yes that is where I read it!

That makes some sense actually. Are you planning on doing a snake draft, or the same every round as usual?
Same every round, but we have some juggernauts and some teams who could really use the help.

It’s really cool to know that this idea helped someone!
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF