Patrick Mahomes: The Best QB in the NFL & for Dynasty

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
xlur8ed
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Mahomes new deal

Postby xlur8ed » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:23 pm

Trouts was the biggest sporting contract prior...12 years - $426.5M.

zeeshan2
Captain
Captain

Postby zeeshan2 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:08 pm

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:11 pm

And apparently $140m guarenteed for injury. Sweet deal for the chiefs provided it's not front loaded
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, Fields, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens, wilson
T: Kelce, Goedert, Thomas, woods
D: cle, nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson, Browning, Rudolph, Zappe
R: Swift, Walker, Dobbins, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen, Nuk, Tre tucker, C Samuel,
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0009&O=01

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:15 pm

abloom wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:11 pm
And apparently $140m guarenteed for injury. Sweet deal for the chiefs provided it's not front loaded
Sweet deal for the Chiefs? I'd say for Mahomes. :lol: This type of deal will definitely make it more difficult for them to compete. That's a lot of money tied up in the QB. Obviously they had little choice, but winning a SB will be a lot more difficult for them moving forward.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:19 pm

Yep, it's a great deal for the Chiefs, they can easily get out of this if sh*t hits the fan.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:23 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:15 pm
Sweet deal for the Chiefs? I'd say for Mahomes. :lol: This type of deal will definitely make it more difficult for them to compete. That's a lot of money tied up in the QB. Obviously they had little choice, but winning a SB will be a lot more difficult for them moving forward.
It's an average of 45m per year. We can probably assume that the yearly pay would increase throughout the deal. His 5th year option (of I correctly recall) is for 25m. The QB franchise tag (average of top 5 I think) is 31m. So mahommes was going to likely get more than 35m annually for any deal he signed. If he starts at 35m and it increases by 2m per year, that would satisfy the contract while most likely not outpacing the continual rise in QB contracts over the course of the 10 years.

If he plays out the contract, I think it will look like a great deal for the chiefs
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, Fields, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens, wilson
T: Kelce, Goedert, Thomas, woods
D: cle, nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson, Browning, Rudolph, Zappe
R: Swift, Walker, Dobbins, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen, Nuk, Tre tucker, C Samuel,
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0009&O=01

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:26 pm

abloom wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:23 pm

It's an average of 45m per year. We can probably assume that the yearly pay would increase throughout the deal. His 5th year option (of I correctly recall) is for 25m. The QB franchise tag (average of top 5 I think) is 31m. So mahommes was going to likely get more than 35m annually for any deal he signed. If he starts at 35m and it increases by 2m per year, that would satisfy the contract while most likely not outpacing the continual rise in QB contracts over the course of the 10 years.
Yeah, however next year the cap will not likely go up, and could very likely go down. They have a 2 year window before this really kicks in, and then it will be extremely difficult for them to build a team around him anywhere close to the one they have right now. It will bring the Chiefs back to the pack as a team, but they had little choice. It's going to be the same type of thing with Watson (except they haven't built much around him to begin with)

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:27 pm

F it. They got their ring. Dude is amazing and I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say I’m pretty sure every person on earth is a fan of his. Now that he’s locked up it’s time to sit back and rake in cash for the next decade like never before.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:30 pm

Ray Finkle wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:27 pm

F it. They got their ring. Dude is amazing and I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say I’m pretty sure every person on earth is a fan of his. Now that he’s locked up it’s time to sit back and rake in cash for the next decade like never before.
I love the deal, being a Raiders fan. It gives the rest of the AFC West a shot. Mahomes is a fun player to watch, objectively, for sure.

zeeshan2
Captain
Captain

Postby zeeshan2 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:37 pm

Ray Finkle wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:27 pm

not AFC west fans for obvious reasons

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:40 pm

I've mentioned this numerous times, but the highest cap hit for a Super Bowl winning QB in the entire salary cap era is 13.1% and that was Steve Young in year 1. I love Mahomes and understand you had to do it from a PR standpoint. However, if he continues to play at a high level and they don't win another one on his big contract, will that finally change the thinking of handing out these mega deals?

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:46 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:40 pm I've mentioned this numerous times, but the highest cap hit for a Super Bowl winning QB in the entire salary cap era is 13.1% and that was Steve Young in year 1. I love Mahomes and understand you had to do it from a PR standpoint. However, if he continues to play at a high level and they don't win another one on his big contract, will that finally change the thinking of handing out these mega deals?
It will be a steal in 4-5 years

Let’s not act like those big deals have prevented teams from putting together rosters capable of winning: 2014 Packers, 2019 49ers, 2016 Falcons, 2018 Saints were all more than capable of winning it all (don’t have the exact cap numbers for QB for all of these teams)

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:01 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:46 pm
jenkins.math wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:40 pm I've mentioned this numerous times, but the highest cap hit for a Super Bowl winning QB in the entire salary cap era is 13.1% and that was Steve Young in year 1. I love Mahomes and understand you had to do it from a PR standpoint. However, if he continues to play at a high level and they don't win another one on his big contract, will that finally change the thinking of handing out these mega deals?

Let’s not act like those big deals have prevented teams from putting together rosters capable of winning: 2014 Packers, 2019 49ers, 2016 Falcons, 2018 Saints were all more than capable of winning it all (don’t have the exact cap numbers for QB for all of these teams)
If it is he'll want to renegotiate. That's how it usually works with elite players. The Chiefs had to do it. Mahomes getting a massive deal was the only way teams like my Raiders were going to be able to compete. It will make the division tighter. Mahomes on a rookie deal, at his level of play was just unfair.

Packerland
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Packerland » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:04 pm

Chiefs had to do it but it levels the playing field for a lot of other teams when they won't have all that money tied up into 1 position. Most teams winning SB's now are teams with QB's on Rookie contracts. Won't be as easy to get Mahomes all those shiny new toys with how much money he's taking up.
10 Team .5 PPR 1 QB League

QB: Goff, Brady, Herbert, Tannehill
RB: CEH, JT, Akers, Dobbins, Mixon
WR: Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Lamb, Chark, Claypool, Pittman, Diontae, Anderson
TE: Andrews, Goedert

Picks:
2021: 4 1sts, 1 2nd
2022: 1 1st, 2 2nds

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:08 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:01 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:46 pm

If it is he'll want to renegotiate. That's how it usually works with elite players. The Chiefs had to do it. Mahomes getting a massive deal was the only way teams like my Raiders were going to be able to compete. It will make the division tighter. Mahomes on a rookie deal, at his level of play was just unfair.
Oh I agree. I hate them but the Raiders have some promise even right now and a lot of young talent on both sides of the ball. I just think they need to toss Carr. I can't fear them until they do that

As for renegotiation it's certainly likely if Mahomes is still playing like this, but it may come in 6 or 7 years rather than 4-5

My main point was that unless the Chiefs drafting or Mahomes' play just falls off a cliff I don't think a big QB contract neuters the team's ability to build a serious Super Bowl contender.

A lot of those teams were absolutely good enough to win it despite a big % of cap to the QB and a couple (2018 Saints, 2016 Falcons) were IMO the best teams that year