Cam Newton Thread - Back to Carolina

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
thebeast
Legend
Legend

Re: Cam Newton to Patriots

Postby thebeast » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:38 pm

I think this is the best possible landing spot for Cam, even if there were other starting spots. I am a firm believer the Pats have the most QB friendly offense (maybe it's McDaniels) in the league. Everyone who has played under center since has had success and looked like a franchise QB. Now there is someone who we know displayed league MVP talent prior to landing here, I can't wait to see what he can do.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:27 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:58 am Cam to NE is an excellent fit and I only wonder why they didn't do it sooner. Makes too much sense. If he's healthy, Cam adds a lot to that offense.
They needed to create a headline to take the spotlight away from the news of their "punishment" for cheating again. They always need to update their tapes.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:49 pm

thebeast wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:38 pm I think this is the best possible landing spot for Cam, even if there were other starting spots. I am a firm believer the Pats have the most QB friendly offense (maybe it's McDaniels) in the league. Everyone who has played under center since has had success and looked like a franchise QB. Now there is someone who we know displayed league MVP talent prior to landing here, I can't wait to see what he can do.
That and BB is best at formulating an offensive plan based on his player's talents. Cam (or Stidham) wasn't ever going to be asked to run the Brady system.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:44 am

Small sample size, but in both my SF leagues the team that owned Stidham had already owned Cam lol. Anyone else find this as the case?

Classic BB move. Grab a vet on low money, I'd he's successful you just bought a late 3rd, if not well you didn't give up much. Worst case scenario, he pushes Stidham to be better
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

TTHTD
Captain
Captain

Postby TTHTD » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:04 am

PR0v3 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:24 pm Looks like a “we’ll bring him in, take a look, then cut his bleep” type of deal. Cam’s arm has looked worse than 2015 Peyton Manning for 2 seasons now. Happy for him, as he seemed to be dealing with some personal issues last year, but he’s a shell of his former self.
This is a pretty lazy narrative tbh. Newton played damn good football and had a 68% completion rate in 2018 before his shoulder injury. That was less than 2 years ago. No one has seen what he can do in a game since then soooo... yeah. Calling him a shell of what he was feels extremely premature to me. If he could even put up 80% of his 2018 numbers he'll still be a good starter.

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:07 am

TTHTD wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:04 am
PR0v3 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:24 pm Looks like a “we’ll bring him in, take a look, then cut his bleep” type of deal. Cam’s arm has looked worse than 2015 Peyton Manning for 2 seasons now. Happy for him, as he seemed to be dealing with some personal issues last year, but he’s a shell of his former self.
This is a pretty lazy narrative tbh. Newton played damn good football and had a 68% completion rate in 2018 before his shoulder injury. That was less than 2 years ago. No one has seen what he can do in a game since then soooo... yeah. Calling him a shell of what he was feels extremely premature to me. If he could even put up 80% of his 2018 numbers he'll still be a good starter.
Cam played two games in 2019....
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:27 am

The overall cost and structure wouldn’t seem to provide much incentive to cut him. At worst it’s a team friendly backup deal, and insurance at the position (that’s if he somehow isn’t starting). It would certainly look poorly to cut him and not really seem to make team sense to do so. If he’s simply the backup because he is toast then the incentives aren’t hit and he’s even cheaper. Only a one year contract to hold.

Overall, cutting prior to season would surprise me greatly.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:37 am

FiremanEd wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:27 am
The overall cost and structure wouldn’t seem to provide much incentive to cut him. At worst it’s a team friendly backup deal, and insurance at the position (that’s if he somehow isn’t starting). It would certainly look poorly to cut him and not really seem to make team sense to do so. If he’s simply the backup because he is toast then the incentives aren’t hit and he’s even cheaper. Only a one year contract to hold.

💯

Cam and Stidham are dirt cheap, whether he hits the incentives or not
16 team league

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:01 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:37 am

💯

Bill circumvents the cheap rookie contract QB by getting a cheap somewhat risky veteran with a less highly touted rookie.
Unfortunately, the cap space available from this isn't providing a strong roster, on paper.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:28 am

Valhalla wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:01 am

💯

Bill circumvents the cheap rookie contract QB by getting a cheap somewhat risky veteran with a less highly touted rookie.
Unfortunately, the cap space available from this isn't providing a strong roster, on paper.
Their O-line and defense are solid. The only real weakness is WR. Wouldn't be surprised if they work a deal for an older veteran WR with an expiring contract.
16 team league

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:33 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:28 am

💯

Their O-line and defense are solid. The only real weakness is WR. Wouldn't be surprised if they work a deal for an older veteran WR with an expiring contract.
They don’t lack for talent at WR. If they can figure out how to keep Marqise Lee healthy, he offers tremendous upside. Edelman is Edleman and Sanu is underrated and very solid all-around. I’m sure the team still expects big things from Harry. Jeff Thomas is my favorite rookie sleeper and if Belichick can get that kid’s head on straight he could be huge.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:42 am

💯

Sony Michel isn't good. White is a solid receiving back, but their RB room is not good compared to the rest of the league. Not sure how their TE group isn't considered weak, either. Maybe the rookies turn into something, but as of now, they are rookie TE's. Not much going on there for this season, either.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:43 am

ericanadian wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:33 am

They don’t lack for talent at WR. If they can figure out how to keep Marqise Lee healthy, he offers tremendous upside. Edelman is Edleman and Sanu is underrated and very solid all-around. I’m sure the team still expects big things from Harry. Jeff Thomas is my favorite rookie sleeper and if Belichick can get that kid’s head on straight he could be huge.
Lee isn't the same player he was in college at this point. Too many injuries have capped any upside he may have once had. Thomas's best year was 569 yards and 3 TD's. He has tiny hands, and no production. I have a tough time seeing a "huge" impact in the NFL. He's a long shot. Not someone we can call talented t until he proves the draft community wrong. As it stands, their WR group is weak compared to the most of the NFL.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:46 am

💯

Their secondary is good but getting older. Their OL is good

Their receiving corps is garbage. Their backs are below average.

The defensive line is middling to below average. Same for their linebackers

Their whole defense got exposed after beating up on puffballs.

Couldn't stop the run at all and couldn't get pressure against an awful Dolphins OL on Ryan Fitzpatrick when it mattered most

On paper the Chiefs (no bias obviously), Ravens, Bills, Titans, Colts and Broncos are better and possibly the Steelers/Raiders too depending on some question marks with their teams

Bellichick will push them over some of these teams into the playoffs but they aren't contenders IMO

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:26 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:43 am
ericanadian wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:33 am

Lee isn't the same player he was in college at this point. Too many injuries have capped any upside he may have once had. Thomas's best year was 569 yards and 3 TD's. He has tiny hands, and no production. I have a tough time seeing a "huge" impact in the NFL. He's a long shot. Not someone we can call talented t until he proves the draft community wrong. As it stands, their WR group is weak compared to the most of the NFL.
For Lee, maybe not, but we haven’t really seen him play since he destroyed his knee. Last year he was out with a shoulder injury and before that it’s been a bunch of ankle sprains and hamstring pulls. Nothing that really tends to have a lasting impact.

For Thomas, I don’t know how you watch him against LSU and not come away thinking he’s talented. He’s had some issues, but talent isn’t one of them. Maybe we have differing views of talent, but to me talent doesn’t necessarily mean production.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker