fantasy impact of coronavirus

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: fantasy impact of coronavirus

Postby Csl312 » Fri May 08, 2020 10:56 am

@CGW
I didn't mean to imply anyone wants people to die from the virus - hope it didn't come across that way. Mostly was just trying to say you're right that it's unpredictable; one possible outcome is reopening things causes a new spike which shuts things down again and for longer (including any possible resumption of sports). Another outcome that could affect the NFL is an athlete getting seriously ill or dying from the virus.

I agree that many of them will gladly take the risk for the money. I probably would if I were just talking about personal risk. (I'm still going to work as it is, I wouldn't complain about an enormous salary to go with that). But again the issue is more the spread than the risk to individual players.

I completely agree that I think we are all looking forward to spores to come back in some capacity soon!

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri May 08, 2020 11:15 am

Ray Finkle wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:42 am
CGW wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:31 am It's way to early to expect a cancelled season. It's a possibility, but If I have a competitive team i'm not rolling over to avoid the 2020 season. Actually, I will argue the opposite. My roster of solid vets has a better chance than those relying on 2020 rookies that may not get a full preseason of work in.
I agree. I am valuing vets and guys in familiar situations more than ever this season. Especially if there is a shortened season, I don’t need guys getting acclimated to a new team or scheme. If the NFL only squeezes in 12 games that means my fantasy team only has about 8 regular season games so a slow start is not affordable.
If there's a shortened regular season, you could do all play for the season, to more accurately reflect team playoff rankings.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

esloan35
All Pro
All Pro

Postby esloan35 » Fri May 08, 2020 9:25 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:43 am Every 2% increase in unemployment leads to a 1% increase in suicide rate historically in the US. So if we got to 20% unemployment for a year (latest numbers have us close to 15% currently), that implies an additional 77k deaths from suicide. That would be more deaths from suicide than people who have died from coronavirus currently in the US.

I think they will have a shortened offseason of sorts. I could see the traditional 4 preseason games being utilized differently this season as well. Instead of the starters play 1 drive in game 1, then the first quarter in game 2, then the first half in game 3, and nothing in game 4; teams may alter that thinking to get longer looks at guys. Or get rookies more reps to make up for lost time.

I think they play and start games on time. The country honestly can't afford not to.
Pandemics don’t care about unemployment unfortunately. I agree on a competitive team, but August and September are around the corner and we are not ready. It sucks but its there...

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 08, 2020 9:42 pm

esloan35 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:25 pm
jenkins.math wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:43 am Every 2% increase in unemployment leads to a 1% increase in suicide rate historically in the US. So if we got to 20% unemployment for a year (latest numbers have us close to 15% currently), that implies an additional 77k deaths from suicide. That would be more deaths from suicide than people who have died from coronavirus currently in the US.

I think they will have a shortened offseason of sorts. I could see the traditional 4 preseason games being utilized differently this season as well. Instead of the starters play 1 drive in game 1, then the first quarter in game 2, then the first half in game 3, and nothing in game 4; teams may alter that thinking to get longer looks at guys. Or get rookies more reps to make up for lost time.

I think they play and start games on time. The country honestly can't afford not to.
Pandemics don’t care about unemployment unfortunately. I agree on a competitive team, but August and September are around the corner and we are not ready. It sucks but its there...
I think there is little doubt the season starts. The real question IMO, (especially if they decide to fill stadiums, which I feel is a massive mistake) is will the season finish?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Sat May 09, 2020 6:29 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:42 pm
esloan35 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:25 pm

I think there is little doubt the season starts. The real question IMO, (especially if they decide to fill stadiums, which I feel is a massive mistake) is will the season finish?
I agree. I think they will have a hard time justifying filling the stadiums with fans unless there is a major change in testing ability, preventatives, or a mutation leading to lower viability/deadlines. Things can change quickly though. September is right around the corner, but it's also 4 months away. 4 months ago, would anyone have thought the entire world would shut down over a virus no1 even knew existed?
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Murray, Prescott
RB | Jeff Wilson, Pierre-Strong
WR | Adams, Olave, ARSB, Dotson, Addison
TE | Andrews, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1st 2025 | 1stx3, 2nd, 3rdx2

10 Team | SF | PPR
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Murray, Tagovailoa, Stroud
RB | Montgomery, Swift, Dobbins, Singletary, Jamaal Williams, R. White, Davis-Price, Herbert, Miller
WR | Godwin, AJB, Lamb, D. Johnson, M. Brown, Mooney, Kirk, J. Williams, Skyy Moore, Watson
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1st, 2nd, 3rd

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert, Love, Young, Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, Ford, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Flowers, Collins, Downs
TE | Hockenson, Dulcich, Likely, Otton
2024 | 2nd, 3rdx3, 4th

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

COVID. The NON Fantasy football discussion

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:15 pm

So as a Canadian, I am curious how many American's feel about the bungled handling of this situation, being so far behind the EU and Canada in terms of how they are currently doing with cases and deaths.

Everyone is free to voice their opinions on the situation, in general, of course.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Re: COVID. The NON Fantasy football discussion

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:41 pm

Haha there was already an off-topic COVID thread!

In any case, part of this is our executive leadership consistently, predictably, and seemingly deliberately bungling the response. The irony is that nearly every other world leader is experiencing a polling bump for handling this thing responsibly; meanwhile Trump has mismanaged this with the explicit goal of helping the economy in a bid for re-election, and he’s clearly been hurt at the polls.

That’s just part of it, though. The other part is that we live in a country that now fears and resents expertise and knowledge. Undereducated folks on Facebook seem to refuse to admit that physicians and epidemiologists might know a bit more about what’s going on than they do. You see it here, too. Try to explain any type of data driven concept, and people lose their minds with rage because they were presented with data. We’re doing worse because we have people angrily refusing to wear a mask, and none of it is surprising. It’s just depressing.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:34 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:41 pm Haha there was already an off-topic COVID thread!

In any case, part of this is our executive leadership consistently, predictably, and seemingly deliberately bungling the response. The irony is that nearly every other world leader is experiencing a polling bump for handling this thing responsibly; meanwhile Trump has mismanaged this with the explicit goal of helping the economy in a bid for re-election, and he’s clearly been hurt at the polls.

That’s just part of it, though. The other part is that we live in a country that now fears and resents expertise and knowledge. Undereducated folks on Facebook seem to refuse to admit that physicians and epidemiologists might know a bit more about what’s going on than they do. You see it here, too. Try to explain any type of data driven concept, and people lose their minds with rage because they were presented with data. We’re doing worse because we have people angrily refusing to wear a mask, and none of it is surprising. It’s just depressing.
It's insane, but what do you expect when your glorious leaded promotes that idea? A man who openly admits hits approval rating is worth the cost of American lives.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:38 am

The bungling of covid response in the States is equally the fault of every day people as it is leadership. Even after California locked down early, very few people obeyed the stay at home order, and nobody wore masks. Now California is mandating masks in public, I still see so many people without them on. I never realized there were so many arrogant and prideful people that I pass by daily. Even people I previously thought were level headed people have shown their true colors. Does wearing a mask suck? Sure. But its a small price to pay to help others. If the vast majority of people would do their part we will go back to a reasonable level of normalcy much quicker. But compassion and love for neighbor is all but gone in today's world.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:26 pm

Bot101 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:38 am The bungling of covid response in the States is equally the fault of every day people as it is leadership. Even after California locked down early, very few people obeyed the stay at home order, and nobody wore masks. Now California is mandating masks in public, I still see so many people without them on. I never realized there were so many arrogant and prideful people that I pass by daily. Even people I previously thought were level headed people have shown their true colors. Does wearing a mask suck? Sure. But its a small price to pay to help others. If the vast majority of people would do their part we will go back to a reasonable level of normalcy much quicker. But compassion and love for neighbor is all but gone in today's world.
Sad to hear. It really is telling, though. The me first culture at it's most obvious. It would seem like an obvious choice. Wear a mask vs killing Grandma, but apparently not. It's people like this idiot, that are the problem, regardless of your political affiliation. Wearing or not wearing a mask doesn't have to be a politicized agenda, but for some, it is. People like this that can't suffer through a very minor inconvenience to save lives, and spit in the face of science while claiming they are the victim.

https://www.leader-call.com/opinion/col ... 0264c.html

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:28 pm

The other thread got shut down before I could comment. The statement was that more white people are killed by cops than Black people. YES, that's true because white people make up 76% of the population, whereas Black people make up 16%. Black people are THREE TIMES more likely to be killed by cops than white people.

https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585 ... e-by-race/

As far as the virus, things are bad, and getting worse. I personally think things won't get better until we get a vaccine. Half the country won't wear a mask or stay home. Idiots.
D3:
QB—Allen RB—Kamara, Jacobs, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Harrison, TILLMAN, Marshall, Jefferson TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington KRAFT PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC RB—BIJAN, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, HULL, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Diggs, Adams, Allen, TILLMAN, Boyd, Woods, HUTCHINSON, DOUGLAS TE—Kelce, Kmet, Schultz, Parham PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, Howell RB—BIJAN, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, HULL, GRAY WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, Myers, Hardman, Reynolds BOUTTE TE—Kmet, Smith, Hurst, Ertz, KRAFT PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: BIJAN, BRob, ZWhite, Hines, TDP, McLaughlin WR: Higgins, JSN, JWilliams, DJM, RMoore, DOWNS, Atwell, TILLMAN, BOUTTE, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, CJONES TE: Trautman, Ferguson, KRAFT, Hooper

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:13 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:28 pm The other thread got shut down before I could comment. The statement was that more white people are killed by cops than Black people. YES, that's true because white people make up 76% of the population, whereas Black people make up 16%. Black people are THREE TIMES more likely to be killed by cops than white people.

https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585 ... e-by-race/

As far as the virus, things are bad, and getting worse. I personally think things won't get better until we get a vaccine. Half the country won't wear a mask or stay home. Idiots.
https://nypost.com/2020/06/28/85-infect ... llege-bar/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... recording/

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:08 am

I believe there are several factors that have led to the spikes in Covid19, and the continued problem that the vast majority of the country will have in containing/fighting it.

First the non-political angles:
(1) There is a rather large population (probably globaly, but including in the US) of people who have severe distrust of the scientific community. There are several groups that make up this population, but they include more fringe groups: Anti-Vaxers, Flat earther, to larger groups such as global warming deniers and evolution deniers. Is science 100% correct all the time, certainly not, but we use a systematic approach to test hypothesis. These groups are far more likely to not believe in wearing masks. Of course as noted, these groups exist throughout the world.

(2) There are simply people who are either not aware, or don't care, that while non N95 masks may not be great at preventing you from getting COVID19, they are very effective in preventing an infected person from transmitting the virus via coughing, sneezing, and breathing. N95s also are not perfect in preventing the spread of infection (thus why nurses/doctors treating Covid19 patients also wear face shields. As long as there are people who refuse to wear masks, they will continue to be reservoirs and vectors for Covid19. This is especially concerning with recent evidence, that those with mild cases appear to lose a significant portion of their Covid19 antibodies 2-3 months after infection, possibly (though not certain yet), allowing them to become re-infected and then infect others. As of right now, there is no evidence that suggests you cannot get Covid19 multiple times (hey look, I made a Fantasy football connection here, there is no guarantee that just because Zeke got infected now, that he won't be infected again during the season)

Okay onto the political angle:
(3) As stated above there are non-political reasons that we are in the situation we currently are in but the largest has been a political influence. From the very beginning, Trump has hooked himself up to the stock market and economy. No matter what was going on, he always stated that he of course should be re-elected due to the economy. The reason why so many presidents don't like to use this reasoning is because of what we have seen. If the economy/stock market is then hit, it implies that the president is responsible and therefor shouldn't be re-elected. With the unemployment rate skyrocketing, he demanded that businesses get open, rolling the dice that Covid19 could be contained. Afterall, if the opening was successful the economy would be back and he would get praise for doing it. We also see him refusing to wear a mask in public, which has caused others to do the same. However what he doesn't mention is that everyone who is within any distance of him has masks on and are routeinly tested. This doesn't happen to the average Joe. He's also insisted on rallies that aren't properly socially distanced not be interrupted, and that houses of worship open up. He knows that the chances of himself getting Covid19 right now are minimal and he knows that he needs the economy open to have a good shot at re-election. His entire strategy can be summed up by his promotion of Hydroxychloroquine, where he stated that people should take Hydroxychloroquine even if it hadn't been properly studied yet because what was the worst that could happen. The reality was that people taking Hydroxycholoquine faired no better in their recovery from Covid19 and in some cases actually faired worse.

If only Trump had insisted that starting in March that everyone remain at home and wear masks, we may have already been over the worst of Covid19 by now instead of gearing up for another spike.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, Fields, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens, wilson
T: Kelce, Goedert, Thomas, woods
D: cle, nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson, Browning, Rudolph, Zappe
R: Swift, Walker, Dobbins, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen, Nuk, Tre tucker, C Samuel,
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0009&O=01

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:05 pm

Well, pre season has just been cut to 2 games. Only a matter of time before the next set back.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:49 pm

Heard the NFLPA told agents to talk to their players to take precautions. There was also a mention of individual players opting not to play, out of concern for their personal safety. Apparently, that's been a thing in the NBA .

Could this be a thing taking players out for the whole (maybe abbreviated) season?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def