ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: Deebo...time to sell?

Postby ericanadian » Mon May 18, 2020 1:02 pm

Chwf3rd wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:12 am
ericanadian wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:32 pm
IZigUZag wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:02 pm

Probably has something to do with Shanahan believing Aiyuk is a complete receiver.

And what does that mean? I saw this a lot with people telling me that OJ Howard was going to overcome Arians complete lack of use of the TE slot last year. If Shanahan puts Aiyuk in as the x receiver, who does he put in as the z receiver? He could shift Deebo over to the slot I guess and maybe Hurd or Bourne could man the z, but I think it’s hard to argue that this is the best use of the talent available. Bourne is mediocre and they have Taylor to man the slot if he can stay healthy and Gabriel is around if he can’t.
Not sure why you're so confident that Deebo is is the X receiver and de facto #1 target - Shanahan literally said that Aiyuk can play anywhere and nothing on film demonstrates that Deebo is better situation for that role.

I'm a huge fan of both Deebo and Aiyuk. The dream is that SF becomes more pass heavy with all these weapons and Deebo, Aiyuk, and Kittle can all eat. If Shanahan revers back to his old schemes which heavily targeted 1 WR - i think it's fair to say that we have no idea whether its Deebo or Aiyuk..
Well, first and foremost I guess is the fact that Deebo manned the position last year and excelled. The receiver that needs replacing is Bourne/Pettis and they manned the z spot, so my guess is that is where Aiyuk will initially be focused. Given that he’s coming in on a short camp and likely a shortened preseason, it makes more sense to me that Aiyuk would be focused on one spot rather than all over to start in order to get him ready to contribute faster.

I’m also not all that impressed with Aiyuk as a receiver. His tape vs Michigan State was basically him getting little separation, catching bubble screens and one big pass at the end because the cornerback stumbled covering him. I know he lit up Oregon, but it was mostly two passes where he just ran by the CB for big gains. That won’t happen often in the NFL for a guy with 4.5 wheels. He was completely shut down against Utah. After that, he lit up Oregon State, Kent State & Washington State who were all awful defenses. The fact that he was a senior breakout is also a red flag for me. You can feel free to bet on Aiyuk against Deebo. I just don’t see it.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue May 19, 2020 1:12 pm

Worried? They're crazy weak at WR, especially for a contender. Plus they manufacture touches for him in the run game. Leagues best run game.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:31 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:12 pm Worried? They're crazy weak at WR, especially for a contender. Plus they manufacture touches for him in the run game. Leagues 2nd best run game.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue May 19, 2020 1:34 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:31 pm
Space Cowboy wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:12 pm Worried? They're crazy weak at WR, especially for a contender. Plus they manufacture touches for him in the run game. Leagues 2nd best run game.
Go 9ers :dance:

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:44 pm

Ravens had 1,000 more yards on just 100 more carries, and averaged nearly a full yard per carry more. So while the 49ers certainly have an excellent running game, nobody comes close to the Ravens.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue May 19, 2020 2:43 pm

ericanadian wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:02 pm
Well, first and foremost I guess is the fact that Deebo manned the position last year and excelled. The receiver that needs replacing is Bourne/Pettis and they manned the z spot, so my guess is that is where Aiyuk will initially be focused. Given that he’s coming in on a short camp and likely a shortened preseason, it makes more sense to me that Aiyuk would be focused on one spot rather than all over to start in order to get him ready to contribute faster.

I’m also not all that impressed with Aiyuk as a receiver. His tape vs Michigan State was basically him getting little separation, catching bubble screens and one big pass at the end because the cornerback stumbled covering him. I know he lit up Oregon, but it was mostly two passes where he just ran by the CB for big gains. That won’t happen often in the NFL for a guy with 4.5 wheels. He was completely shut down against Utah. After that, he lit up Oregon State, Kent State & Washington State who were all awful defenses. The fact that he was a senior breakout is also a red flag for me. You can feel free to bet on Aiyuk against Deebo. I just don’t see it.
This could all happen. It could also not. Counting out a 1st round WR right off the bat seems premature. Ignoring this selection just seems like a gigantic leap of faith; but it could work out for you

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue May 19, 2020 3:04 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:43 pm
ericanadian wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:02 pm

This could all happen. It could also not. Counting out a 1st round WR right off the bat seems premature. Ignoring this selection just seems like a gigantic leap of faith; but it could work out for you
I’ve been wrong before, but if Deebo holds the spot, it’s a great opportunity to grab him a little cheaper with the concern about Aiyuk while providing significant value upside. Not sure Aiyuk is being discounted based on Deebo in the same way. Even if it turns out that Deebo is supplanted by Aiyuk as the x, Deebo will still be a starter and provide you an opportunity to unload him at a fairly limited loss.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Tue May 19, 2020 3:34 pm

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/5/18/ ... ver-in-nfl

"the" greatest.

Deebo>everyone else.
@PlankMelody

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed May 20, 2020 5:53 pm

Don't see much logic in selling Deebo at this point unless you get a major overpay. He is a really good player that should only get better.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts