Lamar Jackson is the best QB in the NFL & Fantasy

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Lamar Jackson is the best QB in the NFL & Fantasy

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed May 06, 2020 12:54 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:49 pm If it really was just that simple teams would have started doing it by midseason.
The idea is you wear the QB down. You have to be willing to give up chunk plays to start. The idea is to get the other team to refrain from running it because the QB gets smashed every single time. It would work, but you have to stay with it, and you need quick penetration, the Steelers had the will to stick with it, and the players to do it at the time.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed May 06, 2020 1:01 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:54 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:49 pm If it really was just that simple teams would have started doing it by midseason.
The idea is you wear the QB down. You have to be willing to give up chunk plays to start. The idea is to get the other team to refrain from running it because the QB gets smashed every single time. It would work, but you have to stay with it, and you need quick penetration, the Steelers had the will to stick with it, and the players to do it at the time.
I understand the idea, and I guarantee NFL DC's do too, and yet they didn't employ it so I'm sure they had a good reason not to.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed May 06, 2020 1:49 pm

I just don't understand why people assume that Lamar's talent and skill set are static things that have peaked. ESPECIALLY the arm talent, which we know for a fact he works hard on each off-season - we saw his jump in passing form from Year 1 to 2 easily by nature of his improved base/stance and throwing motion. He is maniacally driven to shut people up who think he can't pass, he's heard it for years now.

Ditto to the playbook, and the weapons around Lamar. They got barely anything out of Boykin who will be coming into his 2nd year in the system now, Marqise was not fully himself for the better part of the season, and Dobbins, Duvernay, and Proche are all quality additions to any passing attack. If you outright told me "they're going to run it back" with that playbook, then sure. But this is one of the smartest teams in football - they clearly have a plan for their offense this season, and it involves Lamar passing it more.

I'm excited for him. It might not be quite as insane as 2018, but it doesn't have to be for him to still single-handedly win you weeks. I can think of nobody I'd rather bet on at QB for being able to put up 35+ points in any given week.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:59 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:30 pm Yeah, I dont buy the "defenses will adjust" argument.
I remember hearing it all last off-season

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat May 09, 2020 5:57 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:30 pm Yeah, I dont buy the "defenses will adjust" argument.
Jackson won't have the same season this year. TD rate regression is almost guaranteed, and a friendly wager says he doesn't match his rushing totals, either. Defenses will definitely adjust to a certain extent, they usually do. The question is how much?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat May 09, 2020 7:56 am

You should to some degree. It happens to everyone. Can defenses scheme ways to contain him in the pocket better? It's certainly possible.

At the bare minimum, touchdown regression is inevitable. A 9% TD Rate is not sustainable. Mahomes went from a 8.6% TD rate to 5.4 last year. Also, a QB running for 1000+ rushing yards every year, is probably not sustainable either. He will get injured leaving the pocket so much, despite the fact that he's arguably the most gifted runner we've ever seen at the position.

Jackson will continue to be good, but these numbers are going to take a hit. People are going to reach on him in redraft leagues or buy high in dynasty and be disappointed.

Dynos
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Dynos » Sat May 09, 2020 8:20 am

in everything the best adjust but the elites find ways to get even better and continue to dominate. We will see in the future who are the best to adjust. Lamar or defenses? no one knows right know
2019 Champion! 2022 Champion!

Team 1: Superflex, Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 flex WR/TE,1 Sflex

QB:P. Mahomes, R.Tannehill, J.Hurts
RB: E.Elliott,James Robinson, Chris Carson, L.Fournette, T.Etienne , Tony Pollard,hassan haskins,donta foreman, jaylen warren
WR: Justin Jefferson A.J Brown, M.Thomas, Marquise Brown, T.Lockett, skyy moore, romeo doubs, alec pierce Donovan Peoples-Jones, J.Palmer
TE: kyle pitts, juwan johnson,mckitty

2021 Champion!
Team 2: Superflex, Start 1Qb, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex Wr/TE. 1 SFlex, 1 Flex RB/WR/TE
QB: J.Herbert, Z.Wilson, K.Cousins, K.Pickett,K.Mond
RB: J.Taylor, JK Dobbins, N.Harris, N.Hines, G.Edwards, James Cook, J.Ford, Dameon Pierce, P.Strong, D.Foreman (Jermaine Burton Devy)
WR: J.Chase,Garett Wilson , B.Aiyuk, C.Sutton, R.Bateman, G.Davis, M.Hardman,J.Palmer,
TE: D.Waller R.Tonyan, B.Jordan, Cameron Brate, Cade Otton, G.Everett

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Sun May 10, 2020 4:35 am

That was one ugly game Un the playoffs for Lamar , the titans adjusted and doMinated that game more defense will adjust . Lamar still best rb at that position passer he isn’t good maybe he improves in passing but I have my doubts he will ever be a great pocket passer. Did not Cam start out on the same path and he never improved as a passer always average at best
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun May 10, 2020 4:55 am

8th in the league in completion percentage
3rd in Passer Rating
1st in QBR

I'm sure a lot of QBs wish they were that bad of passers...

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Sun May 10, 2020 5:55 am

bjd5211 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:55 am 8th in the league in completion percentage
3rd in Passer Rating
1st in QBR

How many passes did he throw ? And what was his average distance of completion ? Didn’t cam once again start pretty hot only to fade away like the rest of the rb/qb. I. Just nit a long term believer you are , hope it last.
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun May 10, 2020 6:01 am

Tvols wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:55 am
bjd5211 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:55 am 8th in the league in completion percentage
3rd in Passer Rating
1st in QBR

How many passes did he throw ? And what was his average distance of completion ? Didn’t cam once again start pretty hot only to fade away like the rest of the rb/qb. I. Just nit a long term believer you are , hope it last.
Well Lamar is certainly better at passing from the pocket than you are at writing a legible post at the very least.

Snidely1Whiplash
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Snidely1Whiplash » Sun May 10, 2020 10:44 am

One comparison to consider could be the Vick QB1 season. What happened the following year? defences adjust or was it just an anomaly of a season?

I am honestly not sure and am not directly comparing Lamar to Vick I am just curious what everyone’s thoughts are. Lamar’s season was better, but were they comparable athletes? Passers?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun May 10, 2020 10:47 am

bjd5211 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:01 am
Tvols wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:55 am
3rd in Passer Rating
1st in QBR

Well Lamar is certainly better at passing from the pocket than you are at writing a legible post at the very least.
:lol:

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun May 10, 2020 11:14 am

Snidely1Whiplash wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:44 am One comparison to consider could be the Vick QB1 season. What happened the following year? defences adjust or was it just an anomaly of a season?

I am honestly not sure and am not directly comparing Lamar to Vick I am just curious what everyone’s thoughts are. Lamar’s season was better, but were they comparable athletes? Passers?
Statistically, 2010 is Vick's best season:

3,018 passing yards
676 rushing yards
30 total touchdowns
6 interceptions

He was good in 2011, even threw for more passing yards, but also had more turnovers and saw significant TD regression in the run game.

Maybe Jackson will be a unicorn, but I can't find a long list of QBs who rushed for 1,000 yards in a season multiple times. It usually happens once, and that's it. Ultimately, teams know that these players are still QBs and they can't have them leaving the pocket so much. Otherwise, you get the wear/tear that comes with being a running back.