fantasy impact of coronavirus

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

fantasy impact of coronavirus

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:10 pm

A number of threads in the various sub forums are about coronavirus. I want to focus on the fantasy impact. Things I've seen mentioned-

1- a potentially shorter NFL season will make each regular season win more important
2- if the NFL season ends up being less than 17 weeks, some have suggested going to an all-play format to more accurately reflect each team's competitive standing
3- more than a few leaguemates have mentioned that a reduced NCAA schedule could lead college players to declare for a supplemental draft-
  • a- this will whittle down the draftable players for next year, cutting down the value of 2021 picks
    b- team owners and leagues are debating how to handle a full supplemental draft
Has anyone else run into any other potential fantasy impacts of the coronavirus, or considered these points?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Re: fantasy impact of coronavirus

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:25 pm

Good topic.
Another thing to consider is how the NFL players and rookies are going to be impacted by the weird offseason prior to training camp. I suspect the virtual OTAs are not going to be as effective getting players ready for TC, so we will see rookies starting slower, TCs ramping up slower, and likely more injuries early in the season as a result. It's making me rethink hanging on to some of my veteran depth in favor of rookie picks for this season.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:13 am

If the season is impacted, it's going to look more like it starting in October and the Superbowl being pushed back.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:41 am

I have been recently operating under the assumption that we don't have a season. I just don't see how they do it in all honesty. Imagine a player getting sick and testing positive on gameday. The required player/staff testing would be significant and there's no way a game could be played. After one cancelled game it's a house of cards and everything tumbles.

I just don't see it. Even sticking the entire NFL on Hawaii wouldn't work. Some players and staff wouldn't be willing to isolate from their loved ones that long.

Because of that, I'm trying to trade guys like James Conner, who have a job this year but will be at risk come next year's draft. Also, I think one of Brees or Ben will end up retiring after the season is canceled. Older players lose significant value if we don't get 2020 production.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:46 am

If the season is delayed, dome teams will have an advantage for passing stats, as will Southern teams. There will be more cold weather games, especially in the north if the season starts in October or November and therefor the passing stats of the teams with more severe winter weather will be affected.

As for the above post, I don't think it's time to panic just yet. I think there will be a season, just not sure it will be a full year, or in front of fans, but I would put money on there being one in some capacity.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:48 am

I'm most concerned with rookie WRs. If the off-season is shortened, they'll be most impacted given that they need the reps more than RBs.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:35 pm

Some great points made. Some recent things I've heard/read recently-
1- The possibility players will contract coronavirus and force them into quarantine will put greater importance on having good depth.
2- A delay to the start of the season would allow injured players more time to recover. Players that can help include Rashaad Penny, Big Ben and Chris Carson.

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:11 pm

I think what leagues could do is that if players declare for the supplemental draft that they can only be drafted with 2021 rookie picks.
I may or may not be related to Bryan Edwards

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:27 pm

alewilliam789 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:11 pm I think what leagues could do is that if players declare for the supplemental draft that they can only be drafted with 2021 rookie picks.
You basically need to do a supplemental draft for your league, and you bid rookie picks. Some good ideas out there already, but yeah, you can't really let them go to WW. Normally it would be OK, but they would only declare if the 2021 college season is cancelled, and it's not even certain they would qualify even then.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri May 01, 2020 5:56 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:27 pm
alewilliam789 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:11 pm I think what leagues could do is that if players declare for the supplemental draft that they can only be drafted with 2021 rookie picks.
You basically need to do a supplemental draft for your league, and you bid rookie picks. Some good ideas out there already, but yeah, you can't really let them go to WW. Normally it would be OK, but they would only declare if the 2021 college season is cancelled, and it's not even certain they would qualify even then.
One suggestion in one of my leagues is to wait on the league's fantasy draft until either players can't declare for the supplemental draft or the supp draft is completed.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Fri May 01, 2020 6:56 am

That’s a good point on the supplemental draft ... handling that could be a huge headache. I’d have to think it through, but I think the best solution would be locking those players until the 2021 draft.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Fri May 01, 2020 8:01 am

dynastyninja wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:41 am I have been recently operating under the assumption that we don't have a season. I just don't see how they do it in all honesty. Imagine a player getting sick and testing positive on gameday. The required player/staff testing would be significant and there's no way a game could be played. After one cancelled game it's a house of cards and everything tumbles.

I just don't see it. Even sticking the entire NFL on Hawaii wouldn't work. Some players and staff wouldn't be willing to isolate from their loved ones that long.

Because of that, I'm trying to trade guys like James Conner, who have a job this year but will be at risk come next year's draft. Also, I think one of Brees or Ben will end up retiring after the season is canceled. Older players lose significant value if we don't get 2020 production.
I am more and more leaning in this direction. I haven't paid my MFL fees yet and I probably won't until kickoff week 1. I just don't want to chance it.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Fri May 01, 2020 8:21 am

@raiders444 ^

I don't know if I can tag a friend into this conversation but its a good one.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Xavier Hutchinson
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: All my picks except 3rd rounder

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

I'm the One Who Knox
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby I'm the One Who Knox » Fri May 01, 2020 8:36 am

The idea of good/great players entering the supplemental draft is very intriguing, and has me wondering this... Would some of the superstar players like Najee Harris, ETN, Trevor Lawrence, etc., consider doing this? And, probably more importantly (for them, at least), would they have the potential to earn the same type of rookie contract earnings vs. waiting for the 2021 draft? I have no clue how the supplemental draft works anyways, but have seen indications that using a supplemental draft pick means giving up that same round draft pick the following year.

As I am writing this, I read the Wikipedia page for the NFL Supplemental Draft (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... ntal_draft), but the answers to some of my questions still aren't clear to me. For instance, if the lower grouping of NFL teams (those with less than 6 wins) both bid a 1st round on a projected superstar, who actually gets them, and what is that player's earnings potential for that supplemental draft pick. Is it anywhere close to that of something like the 1.01-1.10 in the actual NFL draft?

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat May 02, 2020 10:19 am

"So what is the fairest method to dictate which dynasty team gets to add such a [supplemental draftee] player?"- https://www.fantraxhq.com/how-should-dy ... tal-draft/