remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: J.K. Dobbins 1.01?

Postby remedy29 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:53 pm

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:44 pm
Hottoddies wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:55 pm
Johnny B. Goode wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:10 am

Yeah I am not sure what Cosell is watching... No start stop, but I just watched Waldmans RSP from December and he had examples if some amazing start-stop runs in 2018 (Dobbins' worst year) vs TCU.
We must be living in some kind of alternate reality because every weakness that Cosell noted I saw as a strength.
Same. Good to know I'm not missing something here.
When I read the strengths and weaknesses of Dobbins and CEH from NFL.com player profile, I have to say I agree with Greg Cosell. I have to wonder what others are seeing.

And I meant to mention this a while ago, are we suppose to ignore Dobbins being outplayed by an undrafted RB in 2018? Do we only discuss the good Dobbins and discredit CEH because he was only relevant in 2019?

I'm no expert RB evaluator, but I was more impressed with CEH than Dobbins when watching them play last year. CEH skill in the passing game is a big reason why I think he will be the better pro.

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:17 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:53 pm

We must be living in some kind of alternate reality because every weakness that Cosell noted I saw as a strength.
When I read the strengths and weaknesses of Dobbins and CEH from NFL.com player profile, I have to say I agree with Greg Cosell. I have to wonder what others are seeing.

And I meant to mention this a while ago, are we suppose to ignore Dobbins being outplayed by an undrafted RB in 2018? Do we only discuss the good Dobbins and discredit CEH because he was only relevant in 2019?

I'm no expert RB evaluator, but I was more impressed with CEH than Dobbins when watching them play last year. CEH skill in the passing game is a big reason why I think he will be the better pro.
I wouldn't be surprised if anyone had CEH over Dobbins. There's a lot to love about his game and future in the NFL. But just because CEH is great doesn't mean Dobbins can't be. I think they are both great prospects and I totally disagree with Cosell's assessment on Dobbins.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:20 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:53 pm

Dobbins career is a lot better overall, and supposedly Dobbins was battling an injury in 2018. Dobbins broke out as an 18 year old Freshman and finished his career setting the school rushing record with over 2000 yards. The Sophomore season he still had over 1000 yards, which was far superior to CEH's sophomore year. In terms of a 3 year outlook, it's Dobbins over CEH and it's not really close. CEH was below average at yards created running between the tackles, despite facing light boxes often. He better be head and shoulders above Dobbins else in the passing game to be the better pro. Personally I see in between D Freeman and James White with CEH.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:30 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:20 pm
remedy29 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:53 pm And I meant to mention this a while ago, are we suppose to ignore Dobbins being outplayed by an undrafted RB in 2018? Do we only discuss the good Dobbins and discredit CEH because he was only relevant in 2019?
Dobbins career is a lot better overall, and supposedly Dobbins was battling an injury in 2018. Dobbins broke out as an 18 year old Freshman and finished his career setting the school rushing record with over 2000 yards. The Sophomore season he still had over 1000 yards, which was far superior to CEH's sophomore year. In terms of a 3 year outlook, it's Dobbins over CEH and it's not really close. CEH was below average at yards created running between the tackles, despite facing light boxes often. He better be head and shoulders above Dobbins else in the passing game to be the better pro. Personally I see in between D Freeman and James White with CEH.
Definitely pretty funny bringing up Dobbin's 2018 in an effort to make the case for CEH. What was Clyde doing in 2018? Oh, that's right... running behind Nick Brosette...

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:48 pm

mild wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:30 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:20 pm
remedy29 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:53 pm And I meant to mention this a while ago, are we suppose to ignore Dobbins being outplayed by an undrafted RB in 2018? Do we only discuss the good Dobbins and discredit CEH because he was only relevant in 2019?
Definitely pretty funny bringing up Dobbin's 2018 in an effort to make the case for CEH. What was Clyde doing in 2018? Oh, that's right... running behind Nick Brosette...
Well, CEH did gain about the same yardage as Josh Jacobs in 2018.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:24 am

For me, landing spot and draft capital are extremely important for RB rankings, however, I think Dobbins is my favorite RB prior to the draft. I get the "no elite skills" argument, but no weaknesses is so important... he's not coming off the field on passing downs, he's not coming off the field at the goal line, he's shown he can play (well) through injury.

No elite speed BUT fast enough to outrun defenders who don't take great angles.

No elite acceleration BUT quick enough to hit holes with conviction.

No elite agility BUT enough wiggle to make guys miss.

No elite pass catching BUT reliable hands.

I don't typically like prospects because of what they're not bad at, but I'm not sure what box Dobbins fails to check.

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:32 am

JoshGordonsDealer wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:24 am For me, landing spot and draft capital are extremely important for RB rankings, however, I think Dobbins is my favorite RB prior to the draft. I get the "no elite skills" argument, but no weaknesses is so important... he's not coming off the field on passing downs, he's not coming off the field at the goal line, he's shown he can play (well) through injury.

I don't typically like prospects because of what they're not bad at, but I'm not sure what box Dobbins fails to check.
While I agree with almost all of this, and really like Dobbins, my biggest worry with him is that he will be drafted into a situation where he will split time. Or his team won't see him as a workload back. Landing spot will be important for him. He does have the ability to still produce in a split situation and may be better off with that as well. AKA Kamara.

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:39 am

mgscott wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:32 am
JoshGordonsDealer wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:24 am For me, landing spot and draft capital are extremely important for RB rankings, however, I think Dobbins is my favorite RB prior to the draft. I get the "no elite skills" argument, but no weaknesses is so important... he's not coming off the field on passing downs, he's not coming off the field at the goal line, he's shown he can play (well) through injury.

While I agree with almost all of this, and really like Dobbins, my biggest worry with him is that he will be drafted into a situation where he will split time. Or his team won't see him as a workload back. Landing spot will be important for him. He does have the ability to still produce in a split situation and may be better off with that as well. AKA Kamara.
Agreed, though I think that's a fair criticism of all the RBs in this class.

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:56 am

JoshGordonsDealer wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:39 am
mgscott wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:32 am

Agreed, though I think that's a fair criticism of all the RBs in this class.

Yep. The consensus top fantasy RB will likely be based on landing spot this year. There doesn't seem to be an obvious RB1 this year like many other years and I could see any of the "top" backs falling into a time share.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:08 am

Half hoping he lands in a time share and he falls to me at 4/5. Otherwise Imma end up drafting 4 WRs this draft in all likelihood...
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:59 pm

Bucky Brooks just mocked Dobbins to KC at 1.32 ... that'd be pretty interesting. He ha Swift going to Miami at 1.26 with Taylor on the outside of Round 1 looking in.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:53 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:59 pm Bucky Brooks just mocked Dobbins to KC at 1.32 ... that'd be pretty interesting. He ha Swift going to Miami at 1.26 with Taylor on the outside of Round 1 looking in.
I'd ruin my pants
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:42 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:53 pm
Forza_Azzurri wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:59 pm Bucky Brooks just mocked Dobbins to KC at 1.32 ... that'd be pretty interesting. He ha Swift going to Miami at 1.26 with Taylor on the outside of Round 1 looking in.
I'd ruin my pants
on both sides.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:39 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:42 pm
nathanq42 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:53 pm
I'd ruin my pants
on both sides.
Absolutely. Dobbins to KC would make me consider him at 1.01 even in a SF.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:16 pm

Saw a CBS mock this morning that had Dobbins going to TB in round 2. But that same mock also had Taylor to Baltimore and Swift to KC in round 1. That's 3 pretty awesome landing spots.