Jonathan Taylor is your 1.01 now.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Re: The Most Over-Rated 2020 Rookie RB Is... Jonathan Taylor

Postby djeternal2 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:02 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:52 am
Lord_Varys wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:32 am The surest way to communicate that you are over thinking things and have a bad process is by saying you have Taylor outside your top 5. Frankly a ridiculous opinion.
I want players who produce right away. Those who do increase in value. Those who do not decrease in value. I do not believe Taylor will produce right away, and I believe in 5 others who will. I'm not looking long term.

I drafted several copies of Kerryon Johnson over others like Guice Michel Penny etc because I was more confident in his ability to perform right away than the others. I was greatly concerned about his inability to take a hit and fall down properly and stay healthy over time, but immediate performance was the catalyst towards drafting him. I swapped him in every league almost immediately for something better. Meanwhile, I can purchase these other guys for peanuts if I want to.

I see something similar happening with JT. He's going to be valued at 1.01 or 1.02 for a long time. I think he can be had for a lot less by this time next year, so there's no way I feel comfortable using a top 5 pick on him this time around.

EDIT: It should be noted that I've had the most accurate RB analysis over the last 3-4 years.
Don't hurt yourself. smfh :roll:
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:27 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:52 amEDIT: It should be noted that I've had the most accurate RB analysis over the last 3-4 years.
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:17 amCompared to who?
djeternal2 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:02 amDon't hurt yourself. smfh :roll:
FantasyFreak wrote:In comparison to who?
If you don't know me, I love to make bold statements and claims and push out some arrogance along the way. It's fun for me, and when I'm finally wrong, a good time can be had by all, myself included. Although I'm rarely wrong. Sheesh I can't even remember the last time... someone help me! =P

The "Sell RoJo now" thread is probably the closest you can get, although I still think he's not worth owning. But every time his value goes up a notch, someone doesn't mind twisting the knife a little bit, and heck I kinda like it too. It's a fun thread and I enjoy the banter. I'm hoping the same thing happens here, though I'm not nearly as low on JT as I am on others.

Anyway, back to this thread: Perhaps I used a comparison word when I shouldn't have, but it's hard to be better than a nearly 100% success rate over that span. My RB analysis, along with my deep study of individual draft pick values, is the reason I was hired to the DLF staff.

FF: did you delete your post or did I accidentally delete it when quoting it? If I did I apologize. I tried to recover it.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:36 am

Lord_Varys wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:32 am The surest way to communicate that you are over thinking things and have a bad process is by saying you have Taylor outside your top 5. Frankly a ridiculous opinion.
I want players who produce right away. Those who do increase in value. Those who do not decrease in value. I do not believe Taylor will produce right away, and I believe in 5 others who will. I'm not looking long term.

I drafted several copies of Kerryon Johnson over others like Guice Michel Penny etc because I was more confident in his ability to perform right away than the others. I was greatly concerned about his inability to take a hit and fall down properly and stay healthy over time, but immediate performance was the catalyst towards drafting him. I swapped him in every league almost immediately for something better. Meanwhile, I can purchase these other guys for peanuts if I want to.

I see something similar happening with JT. He's going to be valued at 1.01 or 1.02 for a long time. I think he can be had for a lot less by this time next year, so there's no way I feel comfortable using a top 5 pick on him this time around.

EDIT: It should be noted that I've had the most accurate RB analysis over the last 3-4 years.
Still not over Chubb though, you took him at 1.03 in a league if I recall, so while it was better than taking him over Guice due to the ACL, had you taken Chubb, the value would have been greater than KJ.

Also, you had Kalen Ballage over Nick Chubb in your year 1 rankings.

"I like Ballage. No wait, lemme say that again: I LOVE BALLAGE. I think he has a chance to take over the #1 job and run away as the surprise of the draft. I own Ballage in ever league I drafted in. It might not happen until 2019, but it'll happen." -your quote

"Ballage will win the starting job sooner than later, and will be viewed as the best steal in the draft. Ceiling could be number 2 RB from this class." -your quote

This was from post NFL draft 2018, May 14th. That's a pretty big whiff. There's more, but I won't bother with those for now. I wouldn't normally look at old quotes, but when you make claims like that, you open yourself up for scrutiny, so people will look to see if your claim is right.

BTW, I was trying to edit my post by going into more detail, so you did not delete it.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:51 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:36 am

Still not over Chubb though, you took him at 1.03 in a league if I recall, so while it was better than taking him over Guice due to the ACL, had you taken Chubb, the value would have been greater than KJ.

"I like Ballage. No wait, lemme say that again: I LOVE BALLAGE. I think he has a chance to take over the #1 job and run away as the surprise of the draft. I own Ballage in ever league I drafted in. It might not happen until 2019, but it'll happen." -your quote

"Ballage will win the starting job sooner than later, and will be viewed as the best steal in the draft. Ceiling could be number 2 RB from this class." -your quote

This was from post NFL draft 2018, May 14th. That's a pretty big whiff. There's more, but I won't bother with those for now. I wouldn't normally look at old quotes, but when you make claims like that, you open yourself up for scrutiny, so people will look to see if your claim is right.

BTW, I was trying to edit my post by going into more detail, so you did not delete it.
The think I had KJ and Chubb in the same tier. But the point is valid that had I taken Chubb over KJ in year one, then I definitely would have made out better. Good call.

The Ballage posts aren't to be taken serious. I owned Ballage in a league and I was in trade talks with a guy for his future 1st. He was an avid user on this forum and loved my opinions, but didn't know that the user on these forums and the person he was negotiating with was the same person. I was trying to squeeze out the deal of a lifetime. He didn't pull the trigger. I kept at it thinking I could eventually get a 2nd. He didn't pull the trigger on that either. Someone else eventually did.

I found a post I wrote that says as much: viewtopic.php?p=1660640#p1660640

I had nothing to lose. I wasn't being paid by DLF yet. Now that I am I have to try to be as honest as possible. I never loved Ballage. He had no lateral quickness.

I'm pretty sure I had Barkley/KJ/Chubb in my top 3. I didn't have the order correct, so that's a good call.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:23 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:51 am The think I had KJ and Chubb in the same tier. But the point is valid that had I taken Chubb over KJ in year one, then I definitely would have made out better. Good call.

The Ballage posts aren't to be taken serious. I owned Ballage in a league and I was in trade talks with a guy for his future 1st. He was an avid user on this forum and loved my opinions, but didn't know that the user on these forums and the person he was negotiating with was the same person. I was trying to squeeze out the deal of a lifetime. He didn't pull the trigger. I kept at it thinking I could eventually get a 2nd. He didn't pull the trigger on that either. Someone else eventually did.

I found a post I wrote that says as much: viewtopic.php?p=1660640#p1660640

I had nothing to lose. I wasn't being paid by DLF yet. Now that I am I have to try to be as honest as possible. I never loved Ballage. He had no lateral quickness.

I'm pretty sure I had Barkley/KJ/Chubb in my top 3. I didn't have the order correct, so that's a good call.
This probably makes you look worse though. Granted, I'm sure everyone on here makes up positive and negative opinions to pump up or decrease value (and it's usually pretty obvious when it's happening), but if you're sticking your neck out for players, then you could use this line each time you're wrong.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:28 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:52 am I want players who produce right away. Those who do increase in value. Those who do not decrease in value.
My memory could be off, but weren't you advocating for Miles Sanders last year at 1.02 while also suggesting that he was likely a second-year break-out player?

If my memory is correct, then what's the difference between Sanders in 2019 and Taylor in 2020?

If my memory is incorrect, then shame on me for not going back to search the threads!

Thank you as always for your thoughtful posts, Mike!
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:44 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:51 amI have the most accurate RB analysis.
dlf_mikeh wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:51 amWell, I didn’t mean that and I’ve never actually validated this claim. But I’m nearly 100% accurate.
dlf_mikeh wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:51 amAlso that time I was dead wrong I was just kidding.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:12 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:36 am

JHC

So you don’t miss except when you do, and when you do then retroactively it was just a joke so it doesn’t count.

Does anyone in here except you take you seriously?

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:09 pm

moishetreats wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:28 am
dlf_mikeh wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:52 am I want players who produce right away. Those who do increase in value. Those who do not decrease in value.
My memory could be off, but weren't you advocating for Miles Sanders last year at 1.02 while also suggesting that he was likely a second-year break-out player?

If my memory is correct, then what's the difference between Sanders in 2019 and Taylor in 2020?

If my memory is incorrect, then shame on me for not going back to search the threads!

Thank you as always for your thoughtful posts, Mike!
I'd say the big difference between last year and this is that Sanders had very minimal competition in the rookie drafts last year, as opposed to the 4-5 standouts this year. Makes it easier to push JTs ranking down.

Still, Mike definitely was drafting Sanders as a 2nd year breakout while holding it against JT...your memory is correct.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:13 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:12 am Does anyone in here except you take you seriously?
Yeah, I do.

Everyone take a step back. Mikeh is a baiter in the extreme and loves to lean in on his evaluation record (he HAS been running hot lately) but he's also someone whose actually coached the position - albeit not in the pros. At the end of the day, if you fade JT now "just because Mike said so" then that's on you - this is all stuff that good owners are filing away, and checking against their preconceptions. That's actually valuable, unlike the majority of "IS THERE A CONSENSUS TOP 5 IN THIS DRAFT, I HAVE 1.02 WHAT DO I DO" threads that are all over this board.

Dude is actually bothering to stick his neck out for us to chop it off on the internet. Looks like we nearly beheaded him on Ballage, there... bad look Mike, and I'm sure he agrees. Was the Ballage thing part of an actual RB report he was putting his name to? Whatever the case, Mike, lean back fella - we know you're good at RB opinions, you should just trust that we're listening. No need to qualify it.

Lets get back on topic. Mike - when is this article going to run that you mentioned? And when can we expect a little more grand reveals on these 2020 RB's...?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:41 pm

mild wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:13 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:12 am Does anyone in here except you take you seriously?
Yeah, I do.

Everyone take a step back. Mikeh is a baiter in the extreme and loves to lean in on his evaluation record (he HAS been running hot lately) but he's also someone whose actually coached the position - albeit not in the pros. At the end of the day, if you fade JT now "just because Mike said so" then that's on you - this is all stuff that good owners are filing away, and checking against their preconceptions. That's actually valuable, unlike the majority of "IS THERE A CONSENSUS TOP 5 IN THIS DRAFT, I HAVE 1.02 WHAT DO I DO" threads that are all over this board.

Dude is actually bothering to stick his neck out for us to chop it off on the internet. Looks like we nearly beheaded him on Ballage, there... bad look Mike, and I'm sure he agrees. Was the Ballage thing part of an actual RB report he was putting his name to? Whatever the case, Mike, lean back fella - we know you're good at RB opinions, you should just trust that we're listening. No need to qualify it.

Lets get back on topic. Mike - when is this article going to run that you mentioned? And when can we expect a little more grand reveals on these 2020 RB's...?
It was on DD's RB report 2018. I think this thread he may have mentioned the idea of doing his own. He went into detail, and color co-ordinated the rankings just like DD did. It's a 20 page thread, that's where the takes were from.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=153507&start=405#p1475382

FWIW, I undersold Wilkins a bit, as I called him a camp body/practice squad player, where in fact he did make the roster. I was being hyperbolic a bit, but I honestly thought he'd be a borderline NFL player. He's still in the league a few years later, so I did undersell him. We all make mistakes, I was simply pointing them out due to the fact he said he was more accurate than anyone else. Not trying to start a witch hunt, but those types of claims in any line of work/conversation require cross examination IMO, that's all.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:56 pm

I loved Mikes report last year and look forward to this years but cmon, you clearly liked Ballage enough to draft him (ADP was a second at the time) - let’s not pretend you suddenly thought he was a spud all of 2 weeks later. Or was drafting him part of the ruse too?

I would have run with the “well technically he did win the starting job” angle myself tbh, but each to their own :wink:

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:10 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:41 pm Not trying to start a witch hunt, but those types of claims in any line of work/conversation require cross examination IMO, that's all.
Absolutely agree, and I don't think you're in the wrong here FF. Always value your opinions and enjoy bantering with you.

It's easy to smash people with hindsight in this game, especially ones who plant flags this early in the process. I just don't want to discourage people from actually staking claims to this sort of stuff, especially ones who put in such extreme time and effort like DD and Mikeh.

I'd also definitely still like to hear an explanation on why Sanders is a good Year 2 breakout worth waiting on, and JT is not. 8-) My theory is that it's to do with the talent pool in this draft vs. 2019's though, and how Sanders was already proven with work as a pass catcher coming out of college - he already had the 3 Down skillset, whereas we don't *know* for certain that JT does.

Still praying that I'm seeing Dobbins at 1.05 in my SF league, too... I hope none of my league mates are Mikeh fans :lol:

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:21 pm

mild wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:10 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:41 pm Not trying to start a witch hunt, but those types of claims in any line of work/conversation require cross examination IMO, that's all.
Absolutely agree, and I don't think you're in the wrong here FF. Always value your opinions and enjoy bantering with you.

It's easy to smash people with hindsight in this game, especially ones who plant flags this early in the process. I just don't want to discourage people from actually staking claims to this sort of stuff, especially ones who put in such extreme time and effort like DD and Mikeh.

I'd also definitely still like to hear an explanation on why Sanders is a good Year 2 breakout worth waiting on, and JT is not. 8-) My theory is that it's to do with the talent pool in this draft vs. 2019's though, and how Sanders was already proven with work as a pass catcher coming out of college - he already had the 3 Down skillset, whereas we don't *know* for certain that JT does.

Still praying that I'm seeing Dobbins at 1.05 in my SF league, too... I hope none of my league mates are Mikeh fans :lol:
My theory is similar to yours, or potentially the talent gap, he believed Sanders would score less than Jacobs year 1 but not by a lot maybe (Jacobs and Sanders aren't that far apart in adp coming into year 2), whilst he might be predicting Dobbins and Swift to vastly outscore JT making it not worth the wait.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:54 pm

AussieMate wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:21 pm
mild wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:10 pm

My theory is similar to yours, or potentially the talent gap, he believed Sanders would score less than Jacobs year 1 but not by a lot maybe (Jacobs and Sanders aren't that far apart in adp coming into year 2), whilst he might be predicting Dobbins and Swift to vastly outscore JT making it not worth the wait.
I'd say that 2019 didn't have any 5 star prospects (Jacobs was widely lauded, but his measurables were not great), so it'd make more sense to go with the more athletic and rougher prospect in Sanders.

This year, I'd say there are 3 5 star RB's in Taylor, Swift, Dobbins. If you don't believe Taylor is NFL ready at this point, then it makes sense to go with one of the other 2 5 star RB's in Swift/Dobbins.

I believe the flaw in this argument is: Taylor is not terrible, so he will likely be productive wherever he lands regardless of how far away he is as a finished project. Given his athletic upside, he will likely be valued near the other two, if not higher at the end of the season even if he's marginally less productive; and if Taylor shores up his weaknesses (which is very likely given his work ethic, improvements in college, and how much RB's tend to improve in his areas of weakness in year 2) he'll probably end up the more valuable asset in year 2+

But we'll see. It's entirely possible that Dobbins and or Swift are simply the more talented RB's and will continue to be valued higher than him in the future.