PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Re: The Most Over-Rated 2020 Rookie RB Is... Jonathan Taylor

Postby PR0v3 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:19 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:35 pm
Packerland wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:33 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:32 pm

I don't think it's that far-fetched. Taylor would have been considered are far better prospect if he were coming out about the same time in NFL history as AP did, and AP would not have been as highly regarded if he were entering the draft this year.
If Taylor turns out to be half of what AP became then please sign me up! AP is one of the most physically gifted RB's of all time.
And so is Taylor as a pure athlete as evidenced by his combine results.
The combine isn’t the arbiter of pure athleticism. There are many aspects of athleticism, especially football specific athleticism, that the combine tests cannot and do not capture. The combine obviously gives us specific measures within the parameters it defines, but it isn’t the be all end all evidence for ranking football athletes. AP has many athletic qualities that help make him one of the most physically gifted RBs ever that don’t show up in combine tests. Crediting JT as one of the most physically gifted RBs of all time based on a comparison to AP through the narrow and restrictive combine tests, without a comparison of their movement on the actual football field, is a little disingenuous.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:56 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:46 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:13 am I have a 1.02 in 1QB and two 1.03s in superflex, and I’m really hoping tape-grinders find silly reasons to drop Taylor so he falls to me.

Thank you for your service.
Every year I do a write up. Every year I get someone thanking me because I helped a Ronald Jones or Darrell Henderson fall to them.

You're welcome?
I have no idea why you’d bring those guys up. RoJo in particular was a tape grinder guy; the analytics folks knew better.

Seriously though, thank you tape grinders for helping to push this historically productive freak athlete down the board to the people who know better, all because you have convinced yourselves that you like Swift’s jumpcut better, or some other nonsense.

This is Derrick Henry’s footwork all over again.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Re: Jonathan Taylor is your 1.01 now.

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:59 pm

Running a 24 hour twitter poll on this question and so far 70% would still take their guy 1.01 even if he were the 2nd or 3rd RB taken in the draft. Interesting. 50 votes so far

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:13 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:56 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:13 am I have a 1.02 in 1QB and two 1.03s in superflex, and I’m really hoping tape-grinders find silly reasons to drop Taylor so he falls to me.

Every year I do a write up. Every year I get someone thanking me because I helped a Ronald Jones or Darrell Henderson fall to them.

You're welcome?
I have no idea why you’d bring those guys up. RoJo in particular was a tape grinder guy; the analytics folks knew better.

Seriously though, thank you tape grinders for helping to push this historically productive freak athlete down the board to the people who know better, all because you have convinced yourselves that you like Swift’s jumpcut better, or some other nonsense.

And thank you analytics guys for pushing Taylor up so I can get Dobbins, it's appreciated.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:14 pm

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:59 pm Running a 24 hour twitter poll on this question and so far 70% would still take their guy 1.01 even if he were the 2nd or 3rd RB taken in the draft. Interesting. 50 votes so far
That fits to what I've seen, most people have there guy and would need a massive drop in draft capital to move.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:16 pm

AussieMate wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:13 pm

You're welcome?

And thank you analytics guys for pushing Taylor up so I can get Dobbins, it's appreciated.
Are we helping? I’d bet the analytics crowd is doing more to push Dobbins ahead of CEH than it is to push Dobbins behind Taylor.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:18 pm

You're welcome?

Dobbins would have had great analytics had he participated. He was a 99th percentile athlete coming into college. BTW, who doesn't use analytics in some capacity? I use both analytics and my amateur scouting, but are there people around here who just literally watch cut ups and that's the entire foundation for their draft process?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:19 pm

You're welcome?

I believe this is a great RB class, akin to 2017's: Fournette, CMC, Cook, Mixon, Kamara, Hunt class. So none of these RB's are a wrong choice, per say.

But I do find it funny when people say he "rounds out" his cuts more than swift/dobbins who are both 16 lb's lighter and slower than him. Derrick Henry and DK Metcalf suffered similar criticisms... and they still manage to get the job done

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:20 pm

AussieMate wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:14 pm
Johnny B. Goode wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:59 pm Running a 24 hour twitter poll on this question and so far 70% would still take their guy 1.01 even if he were the 2nd or 3rd RB taken in the draft. Interesting. 50 votes so far
That fits to what I've seen, most people have there guy and would need a massive drop in draft capital to move.
I’ve said this a few times now, but it would be pretty rare for the 1.01 to not be the first guy taken around his position. You’d have to go back to Ryan Mathews over Spiller, and that was like 3 picks IIRC, and SD was considered a much better spot than Buffalo. A second round RB being the consensus 1.01 over a first round RB would be unheard of, although not impossible.

My guess is that if this happens, a lot of Taylor folks will say “well the NFL just doesn’t value Taylor” and change their mind.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:24 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:59 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:34 pm He doesn't have to be the 1st RB taken to remain my 1.01, but if there is a drastic difference in draft capital/situation it could shift things.
Let's say the draft unfolds like this:

1st Round: Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, Jefferson, Swift (Miami), Mims
2nd Round: Reagor, Dobbins (Chargers), Taylor (Buffalo), Akers (Atlanta)

Is Taylor the 1.01? I see 3 RBs (Taylor, Swift, Dobbins) who are not that far apart from each other in talent, skill, or situation, and one in Akers who may actually be underrated.

Is drafting Taylor at the 1.01 really the best use of value?

If I have the 1.01 in a league and someone is convinced that Taylor is the clear cut guy, I'm going to trade down and commit robbery.
Yup, I would take Taylor 1.01 in that scenario. Good team with a great D and improving offense that wants to establish the running game, with the best OL among the landing spots of the top 3 RBs (JT, Swift, JK) and ya he has Singletary to deal with, but that's better than Ekeler or Gurley for JK/Akers in this scenario, and Swift would have Howard to deal with too. I think Buffalo would actually be quite a good RB landing spot in this draft. Also I'm taking the RB over a WR in rookie drafts the majority of the time because they come in at/near peak production and value nearly right away whereas WRs could take some time, so I am 99% certain I'm taking a RB at 1.01 this year no matter who it is.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:25 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:19 pm

You're welcome?

I believe this is a great RB class, akin to 2017's: Fournette, CMC, Cook, Mixon, Kamara, Hunt class. So none of these RB's are a wrong choice, per say.

But I do find it funny when people say he "rounds out" his cuts more than swift/dobbins who are both 16 lb's lighter and slower than him. Derrick Henry and DK Metcalf suffered similar criticisms... and they still manage to get the job done
Just imagine if Etienne and a few other had declared. Guess they felt they had to save us something for next year, LOL. RB class isn't as attractive next season, so we need a few.

Every player has his warts if you look closely enough. Taylor, Dobbins, Swift. All of them.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:25 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:19 pm

You're welcome?

It’s simpler than that- every year, like clockwork, the tapegrinders manufacture bad takes about the big, fast athletes. Maybe small-slow guys look better on film, but I suspect it’s just a reaction toward not wanting to be lumped in with the guys who draft based solely on the combine.

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:25 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:20 pm
AussieMate wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:14 pm
I’ve said this a few times now, but it would be pretty rare for the 1.01 to not be the first guy taken around his position. You’d have to go back to Ryan Mathews over Spiller, and that was like 3 picks IIRC, and SD was considered a much better spot than Buffalo. A second round RB being the consensus 1.01 over a first round RB would be unheard of, although not impossible.

My guess is that if this happens, a lot of Taylor folks will say “well the NFL just doesn’t value Taylor” and change their mind.
Your post is exactly why I asked this question and started the poll. history would suggest that 1.01 would NOT be the 2nd or 3rd player drafted at his position.

I fully expect Taylor to NOT be the first RB selected in the NFL draft (2nd is my thought)

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:31 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:18 pm

Dobbins would have had great analytics had he participated. He was a 99th percentile athlete coming into college. BTW, who doesn't use analytics in some capacity? I use both analytics and my amateur scouting, but are there people around here who just literally watch cut ups and that's the entire foundation for their draft process?
I use both as well, that was just the second time he thanked film guys so I thought I should do same courtesy. I don't dislike Taylor I just really like Dobbins and Taylors been getting a massive boost from analytics guys which will give me a better chance to get my guy at 1.05.

I actually have the 1.02 as well and will probably take Lamb as the 1.01-1.03 owner loves Swift and Jeudy in that order and the 1.04 needs and wants a wr which will leave me with either Dobbins or Taylor at 5 (won't be upset either way but prefer Dobbins) if he doesn't reach for a different wr. This could all change obviously with draft but I know these 2 owners really well and generally can pick them every year.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:33 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:15 pm
Johnny B. Goode wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:20 am If Taylor is NOT the 1st RB off the board in the NFL draft, does he lose his 1.01 status solely on that?
I think if Taylor is not one of the top skill position players off the board, then people should at least reconsider.

There's a relevant chance that Taylor goes behind 2 RBs and 5-6 WRs. It would be hard to anoint him as the clear 1.01 if that happens. At some point, NFL scouting has to align to some degree with rookie drafts.

That's not to say that we need to draft in order of the NFL though, but there's potentially better value to be had on paper if someone takes Taylor at 1.01 and someone like Dobbins or Swift is available at 1.04-1.06.
It does, to some degree, but again, it's typical for RB's to go ahead of WR's in Fantasy drafts, due to their value in most leagues. Guice, as I had used as an example, was widely considered 1.02 behind an all time type prospect in Barkley, despite being the 7th RB taken, and there were WR's that went ahead of him as well. 6 WR's, 6 RB's and (TE's and QB's also, but I'll leave them out due to typical Fantasy hierarchy at skill positions in non SF leagues),.

So he was the 13th skill position player taken in the NFL draft, and yet was the 1.02 by most, in a class that had a talent like Barkley not existed, would have been considered the 1.01. Anything inside the first 2 rounds of the NFL draft I typically see as the realm in which people draft based on their own takes and intuitions in Fantasy, and that is a yearly occurrence.