Jonathan Taylor is your 1.01 now.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: The Most Over-Rated 2020 Rookie RB Is...

Postby Hottoddies » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:49 pm

Glad to hear that I'm not totally alone on a island when I have 3 RBs ranked ahead of Taylor. I don't think he'll bust, but I do prefer others(including CEH) ahead of him. I do have to warn you though that this will be a VERY unpopular take.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:04 pm

MrUbuto wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:45 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:09 pm
MrUbuto wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:03 pm Who is the DH you included as a bust? Derrick henry the NFL rushing champ and number 3 fantasy RB?

also taylor caught more balls than swift, it's a myth he can't be used in the passing game
Henderson.
I'm pretty much captain of the "DON'T DRAFT HENEDERSON IN THE FIRST ROUND" club, but even I think it's ridiculous to call him a bust, especially now that Gurley has left
Not arguing that.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:04 pm

The fantasy community has been and still is way higher on Taylor than the draft/scouting community. It is not even clear if Taylor will be the first RB off the board, as many mocks still have him in the round two range.

I do not find this take surprising, given OPs history, as it seems to break from the casual fantasy footballer opinion and fall more in line with the professionals.

I’m always skeptical of commonly held opinions by amateurs that don’t align with the professionals.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:13 pm

Thanks Mike,
This was perfectly timed.
It was getting quiet around here. I always appreciate your write-ups.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:15 pm

PR0v3 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:04 pm The fantasy community has been and still is way higher on Taylor than the draft/scouting community. It is not even clear if Taylor will be the first RB off the board, as many mocks still have him in the round two range.

I do not find this take surprising, given OPs history, as it seems to break from the casual fantasy footballer opinion and fall more in line with the professionals.

I’m always skeptical of commonly held opinions by amateurs that don’t align with the professionals.
So Bucky Brook saying Gurley will be an MVP candidate this year is a lock? He has JT as his RB5. Then again, at the end of February last year, he had Riley Ridley as a first round WR, and a lot of people that weren't involved in his industry sure didn't. I understand what you are saying, but most of these guys lost their jobs years ago as scouts or whatever their role was in an organization, and simply watch film, don't utilize metrics, or any newer and useful form of information. I never hear anything about metrics in the draft scout community. It remains to be seen where Taylor goes, but regardless, he's a lock to be a top 2 round RB, and many players in the 2nd round end up being better than players drafted ahead of them. MT, AJ Brown etc. etc.

The difference with Taylor, compared to a lot of other situations, is analytically, he's an elite prospect. So it will be interesting to see what ends up happening.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:29 pm

alewilliam789 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:03 pmSo having said all this, what qualities/makes Swift a better prospect? Because I love Taylor’s combination of speed/power/hands. I dont think he has a ton of wiggle, but I didn’t think Chubb did either at Georgia. He can make subtle cuts in the hole to find cutback lanes. I have Taylor and Swift at 1 and 2 and keep switching them around constantly.
Fair question, but I wouldn't go on to compare JT to Chubb, who I argue has better vision, proper stop-and-go technique, and can play on third downs. There's a difference between talent and skill. Talent is something you're born with like great strength and agility, and you can work on those things to improve but your genes gave you an edge. Skill is something you have to create from scratch and work on improving over time. Throwing a football, tackling, etc. Chubb came out of college with far better skills than JT (imo).

Simply put for Swift: He has it all. He's not on the elite level as I had Zeke or Barkley, but he's has the perfect combination of talent and skill combined into one. He's far more polished than Jonathan Taylor and it's not close.
JohnnyBoyRoss wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:21 pm Mike, do you have a link to your initial report for 2020?
It's not out yet.
MrUbuto wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:45 pmI'm pretty much captain of the "DON'T DRAFT HENEDERSON IN THE FIRST ROUND" club, but even I think it's ridiculous to call him a bust, especially now that Gurley has left
Opportunity means he's not a bust? Joking aside, I agree that he's not a bust..... yet. He was a 2019 bust is what I should have said.
Hottoddies wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:49 pm Glad to hear that I'm not totally alone on a island when I have 3 RBs ranked ahead of Taylor. I don't think he'll bust, but I do prefer others(including CEH) ahead of him. I do have to warn you though that this will be a VERY unpopular take.
I'm not new to unpopular takes. BTW, I've noticed that you and I have had similar opinions for quite a while. Every time something is said on these forums that I agree with I look at the author and your name pops up more than most. Nice.
PR0v3 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:04 pmI do not find this take surprising, given OPs history, as it seems to break from the casual fantasy footballer opinion and fall more in line with the professionals.
On the contrary. I am the sole ranker that does not have him as #1 or #2. I would say I'm not in line with the professionals at all: https://dynastyleaguefootball.com/2020- ... -rankings/

EDIT: Turns out that Jeff H also doesn't have him in the top 2, so I'm not the "sole ranker".
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:15 pmThe difference with Taylor, compared to a lot of other situations, is analytically, he's an elite prospect. So it will be interesting to see what ends up happening.
Yep, and this is exactly why I said that I would avoid him in 2020 and buy low for next year. It's because of the analytics. I think he's a project player, and it will remain to be seen if he'll ever catch on or not. I'd rather not take the risk. If he became an elite prospect I wouldn't be shocked. If he failed I wouldn't be shocked.

If he took the NFL by storm and dominated 2020, I'd be shocked.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Re: The Most Over-Rated 2020 Rookie RB Is... Jonathan Taylor

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:54 pm

JT didn't play on third downs. That doesn't mean he can't. One of the knocks on Chubb was that he didn't play on thirds, so it's interesting that you say he can now (no idea if you thought he could it not predraft).

Thanks for posting. Interesting opinion. Keep them coming.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:29 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:54 pm JT didn't play on third downs. That doesn't mean he can't. One of the knocks on Chubb was that he didn't play on thirds, so it's interesting that you say he can now (no idea if you thought he could it not predraft).

Thanks for posting. Interesting opinion. Keep them coming.
When the guy is getting 300 plus touches every year on mostly first or 2nd down, I think it was as much giving him a breather as anything. The guy can't be on the field every play and take that workload, too. They wanted to maximize his usage for what worked for their system. Gordon was even less off a receiver than JT in his time at Wisky, and became a very good PPR back at the next level. JT caught more passes this year than Swift, despite not playing third downs nearly as much. I really don't care about JT playing on every 3rd down, if he's catching some passes on first and 2nd down his first few years, and getting 250 plus carries, including goal line work.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:28 pm

While I've been on the Dobbins is the best RB in this draft train for a while, I have had JT as the 3rd best, I do have a tough time not taking him in the top 6 like you mentioned Mike.

Had you said top 5 I could be inclined because it likely means you have Akers ranked higher which wouldn't be outrageous.

I love CEH as a prospect hes one of my guys I really like but even I cant put him ahead of JT and I'm assuming hes the 5th guy you have ahead of JT.

I am interested to see where your guys are ranked overall at least up until JT if possible.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Shankopotamus
Starter
Starter

Postby Shankopotamus » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:47 pm

Hottoddies wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:49 pm Glad to hear that I'm not totally alone on a island when I have 3 RBs ranked ahead of Taylor. I don't think he'll bust, but I do prefer others(including CEH) ahead of him. I do have to warn you though that this will be a VERY unpopular take.
Ha, my top 3 are Dobbins, Akers, and CEH in that order. They all look good though.

These receivers are absurd too.
12 Team Super-Flex TEP Dynasty
22 CHAMP :dance:
(2019 & 2020 Runner-Up) :wall:

1 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, Flex, SF, 2 TE

3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 1 Flex IDP

QB- Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Gardner Minshew, Sam Ehlinger
RB- D’Andre Swift, Nick Chubb, Javonte Williams, Cam Akers, Kyren Williams, Jerome Ford, D’Ernest Johnson, Darrell Henderson
WR- DK Metcalf, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Jameson Williams, Gabe Davis, Hollywood Brown, Josh Reynolds, Calvin Austin, Laviska Shenault, Kyle Phillips
TE-Mark Andrews, Greg Dulcich, Isaiah Likely, Donald Parham, Tyler Conklin
DL-Danielle Hunter, Nick Bosa, Deforest Buckner, Jonathon Allen
LB- Micah Parsons, Jack Sanborn, Logan Wilson, Cole Holcomb, Nakobe Dean, Brian Asamoah
DB-Jeremy Chinn, Jalen Pitre, Jalen Thompson, Kam Curl, Darrick Forrest
K-Tyler Bass

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:57 pm

DJB wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:28 pm While I've been on the Dobbins is the best RB in this draft train for a while, I have had JT as the 3rd best, I do have a tough time not taking him in the top 6 like you mentioned Mike.

Had you said top 5 I could be inclined because it likely means you have Akers ranked higher which wouldn't be outrageous.

I love CEH as a prospect hes one of my guys I really like but even I cant put him ahead of JT and I'm assuming hes the 5th guy you have ahead of JT.

I am interested to see where your guys are ranked overall at least up until JT if possible.
I don't want to speak for someone else, but he didn't say that he had 5 RBs ranked ahead of Taylor. What he did say is that he would not draft Taylor in the top 6 and that he would rather draft someone like Dobbins or a top WR.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:04 pm

DJB wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:28 pm While I've been on the Dobbins is the best RB in this draft train for a while, I have had JT as the 3rd best, I do have a tough time not taking him in the top 6 like you mentioned Mike.

I really don't think they are comparable talents, TBH. I like CEH a lot, but it's not really close IMO. Rookie drafts should be interesting this year, so many different views.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:04 pm

Hottoddies wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:57 pm

I don't want to speak for someone else, but he didn't say that he had 5 RBs ranked ahead of Taylor. What he did say is that he would not draft Taylor in the top 6 and that he would rather draft someone like Dobbins or a top WR.
That's how I took it as well. My top 6 in no particular order is Dobbins, Swift, Taylor, Lamb, Reagor, Jeudy. still not on board witht he CEH love but Akers is growing on me, been looking into him a lot more and I can see the potential and appeal.

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:05 pm

Shankopotamus wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:47 pm
Ha, my top 3 are Dobbins, Akers, and CEH in that order. They all look good though.

These receivers are absurd too.
This island is getting more crowded all the time. LOL. I personally keep flipping between Swift and Dobbins for the top spot. I also have the top 6 or so prospects fairly close this year so landing spots will play a big role in my final choice.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:27 pm

I think it's really unfair to say JT cant catch balls and be a third down back. As another poster mentioned that was the big knock on chubb too. Wisconsin is the absolute definition of a power back system they just don't use RBs that way, and chubb suffered from a similar system.

All you can really do is look at the small sample size of when he was asked to catch a few how did he do? He did great, there is no reason that should be a narrative. He is a prototypical 3 down back if you ask me and in the NFL you have to do that kind of work.
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted