Dynasty Leagues on Sleeper

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dlf_jeffh
Administrator

Dynasty Leagues on Sleeper

Postby dlf_jeffh » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:38 pm

If you are using SleeperHQ for your dynasty league, will you please respond here please?

Thank you
There is No Off-Season!

Jeff Haverlack
@dlf_Jeff
Co-Founder
http://www.dynastyleaguefootball.com

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Dynasty Leagues on Sleeper

Postby Bot101 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:45 pm

I do!

dlf_jeffh
Administrator

Postby dlf_jeffh » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:03 pm

I'd like to know all about Sleeper's dynasty functionality, both from a commish level and the player level. Functionality, user experience, reporting, standings, roster management, etc. etc. Essentially this is your opportunity to tell us about what they do well, what they need to improve upon. More on why I'm asking this later .....

They are very app based so I'd like to know how the platform functions for app vs. something like MyFantasyLeague which is web based to navigate the settings and complexity for dynasty leagues.

So don't hold back ... I want to hear all input on Sleeper for dynasty leagues, the good, the bad, the ugly. Long posts completely okay and your feedback is going to a good cause.

Thanks all.
There is No Off-Season!

Jeff Haverlack
@dlf_Jeff
Co-Founder

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:29 pm

Ok I will absolutely spill my guts.... in the morning when I get access to my desktop lol.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:45 am

Tried it this year for redraft. Couldn't stand it. Did not like the layout. Trade windows, finding rosters, etc. Trade window was confusing the way it displays the trade twice, which I didn't care for. I use a desktop, so can only comment on that, but MFL is vastly superior IMO. Customizable scoring was pretty basic, too. Not nearly enough options for Dynasty.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:32 am

Sleeper for both of my dynasty leagues and absolutely love it. They are constantly listening to feeeback and rolling out updates. The MFL layout is absolutely awful to me. I guess some of you guys play with some crazy scoring settings because I can’t think of anything I would like that sleeper doesn’t already offer. The weekly scoring is fun and easy to track. In game scoring was very fast to update last year. I made the move over from ESPN and have no regrets. This will be my first year to actually hold our rookie draft via the app so hopefully it’s smooth.
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

NWABCS
Captain
Captain

Postby NWABCS » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:00 am

Started up a dynasty on Sleeper in 2018 and I absolutely love it. They constantly take feedback and work on their platform. There is a thread on Reddit DynastyFF where Sleeper is asking users what they want to see. There are a few minor things that I would change but overall, I put Sleeper above every other platform.

We do our drafts live on the app (with a few using the website) and have never had any issues.
12 team
1/2 PPR
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 1 R/W/T, 3W/T, 1SF, 1K, 1 DEF

QB: Mahomes, Burrow, Lawrence
RB: Bijan Robinson, J. Taylor, Etienne, B. Hall, Roschon Johnson, Najee
WR/TE: J. Jefferson, D. Samuel, AJ Brown, DJ Moore, J. Chase, Waddle, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice
K: Butker
DEF: Bills
2024 picks: 1.11, 3.04
2025 picks: 1st, two 2nds

12 team
1/2 ppr
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 1R/W/T, 3 W/T, 1SF

QB: Mahomes, Josh Allen, Aidan O'Connell, Mason Rudolph
RB: Javonte Williams, Barkley, Etienne, J. Warren, D. Foreman, K. Herbert, N. Harris, Chris Rodriguez
WR/TE: D. Adams, DJ Moore, DK Metcalf, Waddle, Pittman, Drake London, ARSB, Mark Andrews
2024 picks: 1.04, 2.01, 2.12, 3.05, 3.11, 4.04, 4.09, 5.05, 5.07
2025 picks: two 2nds

dlf_jeffh
Administrator

Postby dlf_jeffh » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:39 am

Keep the feedback coming ... the more detailed the better. Be very specific about the things you like and the things that need to be improved. Thanks so much.
There is No Off-Season!

Jeff Haverlack
@dlf_Jeff
Co-Founder

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:52 am

Some specifics for me:

Really like the live scoring setup and tracking. Easy to navigate and easy to watch. Live updates are very fast.

Really like the draft pick trading feature and they have now made it customizable on how far out you can trade draft picks so the commissioner has control there.

News updates are very fast and convenient. Sometimes they run with information too quick but that’s the media as a whole nowadays.

All the settings I could ever want from a scoring perspective and seems to be extremely customizable.

Really like the chat feature. We use it a ton on game days and provides for a lot of entertainment. Plus it’s an easy way to communicate with everybody year round.

Cons:

I don’t like their ADP allocations but that can be said for every platform I have ever used. That’s about it.
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

SSSharks
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby SSSharks » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:40 am

Sleeper doesn't offer salary cap or contract years which my 2 dynasty leagues use. So we use MFL.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:01 am

Ok my thoughts on Sleeper.

Pros:

- Built for the modern player
Its really built for smart phones but it does have desktop support. I do everything on my phone now. Its so easy to just go on my phone and make trades, set lineups, check scoring ect. I love just going on and looking at my team, looking at the wire, making trades.

- Excellent UI
Absolutely love the UI. Its on par with the major platforms (Yahoo, ESPN ect). They added dark mode for those of us who dont like our eyes gouged if we're on late at night. Everything is very simple and easy to pick up. Has a very modern and updated look.

- Great dev team
These guys answer questions all the time, make threads on what new features the users want put it and are constantly improving the app.

- Increasing features
As with all platforms that are brand new, it doesnt have the level of customization that other platforms like MFL have. But they are improving on this as well. There have been a lot of customization added since I first joined in 2018.

- Its free
How much is MFL per season? A stupid amount. And it gets you a clunky, outdated and frustrating UI. I am only in 1 MFL league and I cant stand even getting on to look at my or other teams. Sleeper is 100% free and its constantly being updated and its easy to use.

- Year round dynasty support
Here is where it separates from the main platforms, its open year round with full dynasty support. My leagues have all the off season activity we love.

- Built in chat
Love this since there is no need to have a separate chat app or site for everyone to communicate.

Cons:

- Lack of customization
It doesnt have the deeper customization that MFL offers.

- The mascots
They added this in and I really really cant stand it. I get why they did it, as a way to make some money since the site is free. But it really cheapened the look of everything. Id literally pay them money to get it off my screen.

- Desktop support is lacking
They have said they are working on getting desktop support up to the same level as the app. So if you primarily use your desktop instead of smart phone to use Sleeper then you wont have as enjoyable of an experience. The desktop lacks some of the basic features we like.

Overall:

Its really the only platform I will ever play on if I join a new league. Like I mentioned above, I do everything on my phone and this platform is built for phone/smart device users. It offers the best overall package of being free + easy to use + dynasty support. It lacks in some areas but they are tolerable considering who else offers dynasty support (Fleaflicker or MFL). Two thumbs way way up for Sleeper.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:57 pm

How is their functionality for a slow email-based startup draft?

And do they offer the ability to customize graphics?

Some of us are thinking to startup up a game of thrones themed league this year. Or Co-commish likes doing banners and team logos

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:13 pm

Bot101 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:01 am Ok my thoughts on Sleeper.

Pros:

Its really built for smart phones but it does have desktop support. I do everything on my phone now. Its so easy to just go on my phone and make trades, set lineups, check scoring ect. I love just going on and looking at my team, looking at the wire, making trades.

- Excellent UI
Absolutely love the UI. Its on par with the major platforms (Yahoo, ESPN ect). They added dark mode for those of us who dont like our eyes gouged if we're on late at night. Everything is very simple and easy to pick up. Has a very modern and updated look.

- Great dev team
These guys answer questions all the time, make threads on what new features the users want put it and are constantly improving the app.

- Increasing features
As with all platforms that are brand new, it doesnt have the level of customization that other platforms like MFL have. But they are improving on this as well. There have been a lot of customization added since I first joined in 2018.

- Its free
How much is MFL per season? A stupid amount. And it gets you a clunky, outdated and frustrating UI. I am only in 1 MFL league and I cant stand even getting on to look at my or other teams. Sleeper is 100% free and its constantly being updated and its easy to use.

Here is where it separates from the main platforms, its open year round with full dynasty support. My leagues have all the off season activity we love.

- Built in chat
Love this since there is no need to have a separate chat app or site for everyone to communicate.

Cons:

- Lack of customization

- The mascots
They added this in and I really really cant stand it. I get why they did it, as a way to make some money since the site is free. But it really cheapened the look of everything. Id literally pay them money to get it off my screen.

They have said they are working on getting desktop support up to the same level as the app. So if you primarily use your desktop instead of smart phone to use Sleeper then you wont have as enjoyable of an experience. The desktop lacks some of the basic features we like.

Overall:

Its really the only platform I will ever play on if I join a new league. Like I mentioned above, I do everything on my phone and this platform is built for phone/smart device users. It offers the best overall package of being free + easy to use + dynasty support. It lacks in some areas but they are tolerable considering who else offers dynasty support (Fleaflicker or MFL). Two thumbs way way up for Sleeper.
I'm the kind of dinosaur who doesn't have a cell phone. Could I function in a league like this? I also comish a league that's thinking of changing platforms; Could I still do all the commissioner functions without a phone?
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:31 pm

Hottoddies wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:13 pm

Pros:

- Excellent UI

- Great dev team

- Increasing features

- Its free

- Built in chat

Cons:

- Lack of customization

- The mascots

Overall:

I'm the kind of dinosaur who doesn't have a cell phone. Could I function in a league like this? I also comish a league that's thinking of changing platforms; Could I still do all the commissioner functions without a phone?
Bot claims the app is far superior, but I tried it from a desktop last summer, and it's awful. Wouldn't play in a league with it. I don't have a cell either. Supposedly the app is better, as I already but it was not acceptable on a desktop, and another league mate who uses a desktop agreed. I think MFL is far superior on so many levels. Can't speak for the app on a cell, but the difference between MFL and Sleeper is night and day (pun) for a desktop use. I didn't even want to log on to the league by about week 8. Would gladly pay the 5 bucks for MFL over playing on Sleeper.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:53 pm

Hottoddies wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:13 pm

Pros:

- Excellent UI

- Great dev team

- Increasing features

- Its free

- Built in chat

Cons:

- Lack of customization

- The mascots

Overall:

If you're a dinosaur and a crusty old troll like FantasyFreak, then yeah this is probably not for you at this time. Once the desktop features catch up with the app then those users will have a much better experience. But you really need a tablet or phone to get the best Sleeper experience.