CoVid-19, the NFL Draft and the 2020 NFL Season

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Re: CoVid-19, the NFL Draft and the 2020 NFL Season

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:52 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:23 pm I live in Ontario, Canada. Our schools will be shutting down for 2 weeks after out March Break.
News just broke, Ohio declared a State of Emergency. Our district closings go into effect Monday until beginning of April as of now. The ramifications of it could be huge. No schools mean no child care thus no working for many families.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:56 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:52 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:23 pm I live in Ontario, Canada. Our schools will be shutting down for 2 weeks after out March Break.
News just broke, Ohio declared a State of Emergency. Our district closings go into effect Monday until beginning of April as of now. The ramifications of it could be huge. No schools mean no child care thus no working for many families.
We need an emergency sick leave bill, otherwise people are going to keep going to work.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:19 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:56 pm
We need an emergency sick leave bill, otherwise people are going to keep going to work.
Curious to see how quarantines will work for those in healthcare. I'd assume FMLA?
16 team league

TimeWillTell
Captain
Captain

Postby TimeWillTell » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:21 pm

If we’re going to go down this route, we need to go all the way and close everything down for two weeks. Half measures and people going to work when they’re sick because they can't afford to miss work, is only going to exacerbate the problem. People just don't understand what this all means or how to quarantine. I was just involved with a patient that was being monitored by our health department and patient start exhibit early symptoms so she was told to proceed to our ED. Well, she decided that she need to swing by the grocery store on the way and when they didn’t have something she went to Sam’s Club to see if they did. So how many people are now exposed? Hopefully the test will be negative but this is representative of poor decisions the general public makes.
2020, 2021, 2022 Champion!
12 Team 1QB 0.5 PPR 30 man roster
Start: 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1Def
QB: Mahomes, Brady, Stafford
RB: Barkley, Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Jacobs
WR: Chase, Jefferson, AJB, Lamb, DJM, Olave, Dotson, Mike Evans
TE: Hock, Dulcich, Chig, Fant, Jonnu, Hurst, Everett
K: Some guy
Def: Who knows
1.01, 1.03

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:37 pm

TimeWillTell wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:21 pm
If we’re going to go down this route, we need to go all the way and close everything down for two weeks. Half measures and people going to work when they’re sick because they can't afford to miss work, is only going to exacerbate the problem. People just don't understand what this all means or how to quarantine.
It's all part of a bigger issue. Socioeconomically, we just came off a decade long bull market and yet the majority of the country would have to go into debt to solve a thousand dollar "emergency" if it arose. Those same people simply cannot afford to not work. It's a complex issue that I honestly have no good answer for.
16 team league

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:56 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:37 pm

If we’re going to go down this route, we need to go all the way and close everything down for two weeks. Half measures and people going to work when they’re sick because they can't afford to miss work, is only going to exacerbate the problem. People just don't understand what this all means or how to quarantine.
It's all part of a bigger issue. Socioeconomically, we just came off a decade long bull market and yet the majority of the country would have to go into debt to solve a thousand dollar "emergency" if it arose. Those same people simply cannot afford to not work. It's a complex issue that I honestly have no good answer for.
This is why, more than most of these other countries, I think we're so predisposed to an epidemic. We have a way more individualist culture than China or South Korea, and our level of income inequality dictates that people can't just stay home. Not great!
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: What do we do if there is no NFL 2020 season?

Postby Mephistopheles » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:58 pm

Weknownothing86 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:42 pm Luckily this is very unlikely to happen in my opinion. Its 6 months away until football, China contained it in 2 months, South Korea in the same amount of time. US can do the same and will if it has too. Hopefully it doesnt get there though. The draft will 100 percent need to be changed though and not having any pro days will be interesting for our draft evaluations and team evaluations. But im pretty sure the season will be fine. Lets hope
I don't mean to get political, but if anyone truly has faith in the US government to handle this, they're foolish.
We're talking about a President who honestly believes that this is a Democratic party conspiracy, a VP in charge of the response who thought that HIV was sent by God to wipe out gay people and let it run rampant through Indiana, and a Congress filled with stupid old farts who would forget to wipe their own asses if they didn't have an assistant to remind them and is currently going on vacation for four weeks.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:31 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:56 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:37 pm
This is why, more than most of these other countries, I think we're so predisposed to an epidemic. We have a way more individualist culture than China or South Korea, and our level of income inequality dictates that people can't just stay home. Not great!
💯
16 team league

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:57 pm

Yup. The 2008-9 bailouts are gonna look like peanuts compared to what the Government will need to do in the next 2-8 weeks.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:36 pm

Most of you probably don't remember H1N1, the last pandemic in 2009. The initial reports were a much higher death rate and there was global panic as it spread. Containment efforts were completely ineffective as it was a community spread virus by the time we found it in April of 2009.

Looking back, the death rate was much lower than initially anticipated but the virus was eventually estimated to have affected 24% of the population. Now, the virus is an afterthought as part of the annual flu season and included as a part of the annual vaccination.

Covid-19 will not be contained, we can only slow it to relieve stress on the medical system. Blaming a government or specific politician is pointless. The metaphorical cat is out of the bag and there really is no fingers to point. Over 100 countries have occurrences and nearly every state in the US. It will impact a similar % of the population as H1N1 and the seasonal flu and likely end up an annual occurrence. Expect to get it.

The positive - it's a very mild virus for 99% of the population. It likely will slow down when humid weather arrives and the transmission rates decrease. More money is going towards a vaccine than any other virus ever. I'm confident the brilliant minds of the private sector will find a vaccination. With any luck, the virus won't mutate at a significant pace.

The NFL will likely hold spring events in private. By September of next year, I highly doubt there will be mass hysteria over this virus.

If it comes down to it and the NFL suspends the 2020 season, I'll be more concerned about my job than my fantasy team.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:49 pm

Mephistopheles wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:58 pm
Weknownothing86 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:42 pm Luckily this is very unlikely to happen in my opinion. Its 6 months away until football, China contained it in 2 months, South Korea in the same amount of time. US can do the same and will if it has too. Hopefully it doesnt get there though. The draft will 100 percent need to be changed though and not having any pro days will be interesting for our draft evaluations and team evaluations. But im pretty sure the season will be fine. Lets hope
I don't mean to get political, but if anyone truly has faith in the US government to handle this, they're foolish.
We're talking about a President who honestly believes that this is a Democratic party conspiracy, a VP in charge of the response who thought that HIV was sent by God to wipe out gay people and let it run rampant through Indiana, and a Congress filled with stupid old farts who would forget to wipe their own asses if they didn't have an assistant to remind them and is currently going on vacation for four weeks.
Also this could be one of the stupidest things I've seen on this forum.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:51 pm

Mephistopheles wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:58 pm
So you're saying it's their assistants who are buying all the toilet paper up?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:56 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:57 pm Yup. The 2008-9 bailouts are gonna look like peanuts compared to what the Government will need to do in the next 2-8 weeks.
I would recommend preparing for a 2 week National Quarantine within the next few weeks.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:49 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:56 pm
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:57 pm Yup. The 2008-9 bailouts are gonna look like peanuts compared to what the Government will need to do in the next 2-8 weeks.
I would recommend preparing for a 2 week National Quarantine within the next few weeks.
Up here in Canada, we only have 138 confirmed cases. Ontario has shut down schools for 2 weeks after the March break, but I don't see it getting to that level here, unless they are advised by WHO to do so.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:05 pm

South Korea has had approx. 150 new confirmed cases on 3/11 and again on 3/12. They do not have it under control. They may have slowed it a bit, but any infection rate of 100+ per day is not good.

It is DANGEROUS and FOOLISH for anyone to make factual assertions here without giving a solid reference.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboar ... 7b48e9ecf6

China has no new reported cases in over 2 days. That's based upon what Johns Hopkins is reporting. However, I do not believe that. Thats my own subjective opinion.

Italy: Averaging about 1000 new reported cases each say since 3/10
Spain: Averaging 200+ new reported cases each day since 3/10
Germany: Averaging 250 new reported cases since 3/10
USA: Averaging over 300 new reported cases since 3/10

Thats just reported cases, i.e. cases that have been confirmed by TESTING. And it has been widely reported that there is inadequate testing in many locations, for a variety of reasons. I suspect the actual #s are higher. Again, that's a subjective opinion.

Lastly, I don't know why this thread is being allowed here, when my thread had the same subject. I move that my thread be returned here and that this be subsumed into it. Anyone who disagrees with that is a 'boot licker'.

:lol: