CoVid-19, the NFL Draft and the 2020 NFL Season

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Re: CoVid-19, the NFL Draft and the 2020 NFL Season

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:33 pm

Ice wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:08 pmHate to get political but you don't have a friggen clue what you are talking about. I am in the Clinical Research field an deal with Phase One Centers Globally and big Drug research companies globally.
Ice is one of the least intelligent people I've interacted with here, so I'm sure this will be good.
Ice wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:08 pmThis Administration has reacted to this virus faster than any in our history.
Nope, just here to lick Trump's boot. Great.
Ice wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:08 pmTo put in perspective the H1 virus killed over 1000 in this country before any action was taken. The government basically waited 6 months.
This is a lie. Source: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/obama ... -flu-n1h1/
Ice wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:08 pmIn less than 1 month this government was already restricting travel and putting together the best minds in the country working on it. Of course the media called Trump basically crazy for trying to get handle on the situation very early on.
Less than two weeks ago President Trump said "This is their new hoax," referring to this pandemic. Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/trump-s ... -hoax.html
Ice wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:08 pm Really upsetting hearing feedback from media outlets selling uninformed masses complete BS as if they know anything other than it's the orange mans fault.

Keep your misinformed politics out of the forums please.
This really wasn't political until you made it so, and you've provided the least informed opinion of the bunch. I'm not really surprised- I genuinely suspect that this is the best that you're capable of- but it still sucks to see. Maybe you should go back to arguing with people about whether or not DK Metcalf has fluid hips or some other garbage.

Do you know what the coolest thing about fantasy football is? It's brought together a diverse community of people who don't care at all what team you're a fan of. That's what makes you so lame. This isn't about the truth for you, if it was, you wouldn't have just printed so many lies. This is about your Trump fandom. You're no different from any feeble minded Eagles fan who finds any reason to trash Dak Prescott and thinks he's George Carlin because he refers to the Dallas team as the "Cowgirls".

You're just a sad, little man who didn't like what somebody said about his team, and I feel sorry for you.
Last edited by OhCruelestRanter on Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:33 pm

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:22 pm What is happening in China and Italy is not even the same stratosphere as the US health systems capacity and our governments support to fight this.

That and it seems a viable treatment is already being ramped up make fears in the US a complete waste of time
Other than human intervention, which we are finally getting onboard with via travel bans and event cancellations, we have absolutely nothing going for us that would differentiate us from Italy.

We have more land area but the majority of our population is concentrated in areas every bit as dense as European nations.

We trend younger than Italy but we have higher comorbidities.

Italy's biggest problem is that the hospital system is overrun. They don't have enough beds or doctors. We rank even worse than Italy in hospital beds/care per capita, among the lowest in the developed world.

I'm not sure what government support we have other than these (overdue, imo) bans/cancellations. We can still barely test for the virus. South Korea is running 2000 tests per day. We are running 8.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:34 pm

Ice wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:08 pm
Cowboysfan33 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:50 pm
mild wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:34 pm

Here is an expert, posted no further than a few messages ago in this thread, saying exactly how serious this is. Stay woke, dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZFhjMQrVts
Exactly. Unfortunately, the “president” of the U.S. didn’t take it too serious at first, but now, he has no choice to. No coincidence, after the Florida Congressman tested positive and tons of outbreaks, maybe it should’ve been a top priority from the jump.
Hate to get political but you don't have a friggen clue what you are talking about. I am in the Clinical Research field an deal with Phase One Centers Globally and big Drug research companies globally.

This Administration has reacted to this virus faster than any in our history. To put in perspective the H1 virus killed over 1000 in this country before any action was taken. The government basically waited 6 months.

In less than 1 month this government was already restricting travel and putting together the best minds in the country working on it. Of course the media called Trump basically crazy for trying to get handle on the situation very early on.

Really upsetting hearing feedback from media outlets selling uninformed masses complete BS as if they know anything other than it's the orange mans fault.

Keep your misinformed politics out of the forums please.
Whatever, I’ll talk about whatever I want to talk about, whenever I want to talk about it.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:38 pm

And Vcize/Orenthal- not trying to crap all over what's going on in your field or on your ability to have an informed opinion on this, more just trying to explain that outside a few specific fields, most doctors haven't yet been forced to deal with the reality of this.

...my guess is that Johnny is a chiropractor.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:44 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:38 pm And Vcize/Orenthal- not trying to crap all over what's going on in your field or on your ability to have an informed opinion on this, more just trying to explain that outside a few specific fields, most doctors haven't yet been forced to deal with the reality of this.

I totally agree. Peds is a bit of it's own world, but I remember the ED having a preparedness plan in order in 2014 for Ebola, so I'm sure it's in the works.

Johnny could be DPT too I suppose, but yours is a good guess.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:50 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:38 pm And Vcize/Orenthal- not trying to crap all over what's going on in your field or on your ability to have an informed opinion on this, more just trying to explain that outside a few specific fields, most doctors haven't yet been forced to deal with the reality of this.

To be clear, the only reason I even posted in the first place was to clear up that the characterization this thread was implying that the medical world all thinks this is no big deal was false. You can actually see that the first post I quoted was stating that explicitly, which I will quote again below.

jenkins.math wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:32 pm So we have a non-medical professional disagreeing with medical professionals about a medical issue. Pretty much sums up the entire mass hysteria and fear mongering the media has done to this country. The media drives our country more than we care to admit. We are literally a bunch of sheep blindly following the sheep in front of us.
If anything the media actually under-reported on this thing. It's been clear for almost weeks now that there was nothing fundamentally different in Italy compared to the rest of the developed world that would have stopped the same thing from happening in other nations (even here) short of excessive human intervention.

Yet most people just went on about their day, maybe with a few extra rolls of toilet paper, because they falsely equivocated it to past pandemics like Ebola which actually happened in 3rd world countries and didn't have the means to spread in areas that had basic 1st world sanitation.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:57 pm

Vcize wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:50 pm

To be clear, the only reason I even posted in the first place was to clear up that the characterization this thread was implying that the medical world all thinks this is no big deal was false. You can actually see that the first post I quoted was stating that explicitly, which I will quote again below.

jenkins.math wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:32 pm So we have a non-medical professional disagreeing with medical professionals about a medical issue. Pretty much sums up the entire mass hysteria and fear mongering the media has done to this country. The media drives our country more than we care to admit. We are literally a bunch of sheep blindly following the sheep in front of us.
If anything the media actually under-reported on this thing. It's been clear for almost weeks now that there was nothing fundamentally different in Italy compared to the rest of the developed world that would have stopped the same thing from happening in other nations (even here) short of excessive human intervention.

Yet most people just went on about their day, maybe with a few extra rolls of toilet paper, because they falsely equivocated it to past pandemics like Ebola which actually happened in 3rd world countries and didn't have the means to spread in areas that had basic 1st world sanitation.
It's all good man. I think it's partially just a product of today's society. Everything has to be all or nothing, when often the most appropriate responses lie somewhere in the middle.

Ps. Not sure which was worse, being lumped with JBG or being called a medical janitor.
16 team league

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:06 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:57 pm

It's all good man. I think it's partially just a product of today's society. Everything has to be all or nothing, when often the most appropriate responses lie somewhere in the middle.

Ps. Not sure which was worse, being lumped with JBG or being called a medical janitor.
It's close.

skinfanjon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby skinfanjon » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:12 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:06 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:57 pm

It's close.
At least janitors are aware of their limitations.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:19 pm

OhCruelestRanter, I know you think you are smart but in reality not so much.

March 2009 H1N1

October 23rd 2009 Obama declares a National Emergency.

November 12th 2009 CDC reports 22 million infected 4,000 deaths.

While the CDC was working on this early on the public was in large part kept in the dark for months which is far different from what we are seeing today. The global industries were not working together nearly as much in those days.

We have learned from these mistakes and are being far more proactive today in spite of what many seem to think.

That was the point.
Last edited by Ice on Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:22 pm

Ice wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:19 pm OhCruelestRanter, I know you think you are smart but in reality not so much.

March 2009 H1N1

While the CDC was working on this early on the public was in large part kept in the dark for months which is far different from what we are seeing today. The global industries were not working together nearly as much in those days.

We have learned from these mistakes and are being far more proactive today in spite of what many seem to think.

That was the point.
They declared a public health emergency in April, you boot-licking fanboy. There are grownups talking here. You don't belong.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:49 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:22 pm
Ice wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:19 pm OhCruelestRanter, I know you think you are smart but in reality not so much.

March 2009 H1N1

That was the point.
They declared a public health emergency in April, you boot-licking fanboy. There are grownups talking here. You don't belong.
Wow, you really are clueless.

"They" wasn't the Obama Administration. That was the World Health Organization.

The USA government did nothing as it relates to public steps of large gatherings or anything of consequence to try to minimize the spread.

Why don't you put your internet trolling to good use and inform us by listing all the steps the federal government took back then on a national basis to broadly inform the public to minimize the risk.

The point isn't to blame but it's foolish to blame the government at this point for a virus from China when they actually have been taking proactive steps in coordinating industry as well as state and local governments. No doubt mistakes are going to happen.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:49 pm

Ice, I respectfully disagree. There was a report just yesterday in NYT that a flu study in Washington State in mid February tried to shift to do some kind of corona virus testing, but was thwarted repeatedly by the CDC, which wouldn't let them proceed.

There has been a lack of coordination throughout February by the US government, both in front of and behind the scenes. I won't point fingers. I just think it's pretty clear that some did not take this as seriously, certainly in public, but perhaps in private as well, and tried to paint a rosy picture.

To some degree, I think this is a deficiency of democratic governments, who are run by a combination of elected officials (mostly self-absorbed idiots who have generally accomplished very little in the real world) and a bunch of bureaucrats who can't or won't take decisive action absent orders from above. Switzerland, my home country, has over 150 cases per day in the last 5 days (in a country of less than 8 million). But they still haven't closed schools or taken many other steps to limit spreading, and they are totally bungling testing as well.

As for the NFL and dynasty football, I'm of the opinion that we won't see a 2020 NFL season. Almost all indicators are this thing getting worse, not getting better in the foreseeable future. I don't trust anything that China is saying. And many nations that have the virus are seeing between 100 and 500 confirmed new cases in teh last 24 hours. That's with very little testing going on in most places and with incubation periods of about 5-14 days. That means all those 100 to 500 people were probably communal spreading the virus amongst friends, family, neigbhors and stores/shops/restaurants/schools/doctors offices. This thing is GAINING steam in NA and Europe, not abating in any way.

Even South Korea, which is supposedly taken some of the best/most aggressive actions, has had about 300 new cases in the last 24-28 hours.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:02 am

I'm less concerned with the virus itself than the more far-reaching effects it is going to have.

It's not going away anytime soon, but hopefully at least nationally, this fizzles out as warmer weather approaches like most respiratory viruses.

EDs will be overwhelmed by people with cold symptoms further delaying care to those in actual, emergent need.

Masks and medical equipment being bought up in bulk by the public, putting actual providers and staff at risk of going without.

Travel restrictions negatively effecting business and the economy even more so than we're seeing already.

The fear, panic and lack of reason is most concerning.
16 team league

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:48 am

Ice wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:49 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:22 pm

March 2009 H1N1

That was the point.
Wow, you really are clueless.

"They" wasn't the Obama Administration. That was the World Health Organization.

The USA government did nothing as it relates to public steps of large gatherings or anything of consequence to try to minimize the spread.

Why don't you put your internet trolling to good use and inform us by listing all the steps the federal government took back then on a national basis to broadly inform the public to minimize the risk.

The point isn't to blame but it's foolish to blame the government at this point for a virus from China when they actually have been taking proactive steps in coordinating industry as well as state and local governments. No doubt mistakes are going to happen.
Ladies and gentlemen, you’ve seen boot-lickers before, but today I present to you a grown man trying to swallow the boot!

Here’s a fun one: the CDC used to have a pandemic response team. Guess who eliminated it? Source: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trum ... emic-team/

There are real people here having real conversations, trying to share expertise and experience to figure out what to expect going forward. Meanwhile you’re just an angry fan screaming because somebody said mean things about his team. You don’t belong here, and you’re deluded if you think your opinion matters at all.

This is a good time to put your political fandom aside, so we can all talk about what’s happening. Every word that you type trying to rabidly defend Dear Leader is a waste of time for the people whose opinions matter.