CoVid-19, the NFL Draft and the 2020 NFL Season

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Re: CoVid-19, the NFL Draft and the 2020 NFL Season

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:31 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:18 pm
nathanq42 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:04 pm Okay I'm not going to go ham on this, but what makes the carona virus unique is not it's symptoms or mortality rate, it's the transmission and the fact that you are contagious well before you show signs of illness. So you feeling fine walking around while infected, is actually spreading the virus to people, before you or anyone else would even suspect you were ill, and the problem compounds.

Any healthy person will likely not die from it. But you could have it and pass it on to someone who would be at risk of having serious health complications caused by the virus.
What makes it unique is the mass media fear mongering.
This. it's sad really

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:44 pm

TimeWillTell wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:18 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:03 pm
Johnny B. Goode wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:00 pm

Same
Amen brother. I don't specialize in ID or epidemiology, but regardless the whole thing has been a mess to watch unravel.
X3
Respectfully, I think you’re all wrong. Look into what’s happening in Italy right now. Cancelling all elective surgeries because they don’t have enough vents, having to decide whose prognosis is too poor to even get intubated. This doesn’t happen with just a cold.

Buying all of your grocery store’s toilet paper is dumb. But we should be cancelling school and all major events before this gets worse. This isn’t panic, it’s preparedness.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

MattDeezy
Starter
Starter

Postby MattDeezy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:50 pm

NBA just suspended their season after Rudy Gobert was diagnosed with the corona....
Team
1Q|2R|3W|1T|2FLX - 12 Team PPR

QB: Love, AR, Cousins, Flacco
RB: CMC, Bijan, Ford, Mitchell, Pierce, Kendre, Tucker
WR: Deebo, Wilson, Olave, Puka, Flowers, Addison, Jeudy, Jamo, Burks
TE: McBride, Kincaid, Fant, Bellinger

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:57 pm

MattDeezy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:50 pm NBA just suspended their season after Rudy Gobert was diagnosed with the corona....
Wow.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:31 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:44 pm

Amen brother. I don't specialize in ID or epidemiology, but regardless the whole thing has been a mess to watch unravel.
X3
Respectfully, I think you’re all wrong. Look into what’s happening in Italy right now. Cancelling all elective surgeries because they don’t have enough vents, having to decide whose prognosis is too poor to even get intubated. This doesn’t happen with just a cold.
I've worked disaster relief and while I've never personally experienced it, I've heard horror stories about these types of ethical decisions in crisis time.

While geriatrics, those with numerous co-morbities and the immunocompromised would likely be at highest risk of needing ICU level care, being in a pediatric critical care setting myself, resource allocation is really something I hadn't taken into consideration should things ever escalate to those levels. Hell, the ED is abused enough as it is without the added strain of pandemic paranoia.

How many medical staff, be it nurses, docs, therapies, etc. rely on school as a primary source of child care and don't have a backup plan aside from taking time off of work. The ramifications of school closings and the like could be pretty far reaching.
Last edited by Orenthal Shames on Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:32 pm

X3

Buying all of your grocery store’s toilet paper is dumb. But we should be cancelling school and all major events before this gets worse. This isn’t panic, it’s preparedness.
So we have a non-medical professional disagreeing with medical professionals about a medical issue. Pretty much sums up the entire mass hysteria and fear mongering the media has done to this country. The media drives our country more than we care to admit. We are literally a bunch of sheep blindly following the sheep in front of us.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:34 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:32 pm So we have a non-medical professional disagreeing with medical professionals about a medical issue. Pretty much sums up the entire mass hysteria and fear mongering the media has done to this country. The media drives our country more than we care to admit. We are literally a bunch of sheep blindly following the sheep in front of us.
Here is an expert, posted no further than a few messages ago in this thread, saying exactly how serious this is. Stay woke, dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZFhjMQrVts

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:42 pm

mild wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:34 pm
jenkins.math wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:32 pm So we have a non-medical professional disagreeing with medical professionals about a medical issue. Pretty much sums up the entire mass hysteria and fear mongering the media has done to this country. The media drives our country more than we care to admit. We are literally a bunch of sheep blindly following the sheep in front of us.
Here is an expert, posted no further than a few messages ago in this thread, saying exactly how serious this is. Stay woke, dude.

To be fair, this guy was also predicting the Ebola outbreak in 2014 would be massive on a global scale and that the transmission could/would become airborne and not via contact. Hot taeks aren't solely a fantasy domain.

He's also peddling a book.

Just playing devil's advocate.

Funny (sad) part is, if there were a vaccine for this virus, a huge part of the population would probably refuse it...
Last edited by Orenthal Shames on Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
16 team league

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:44 pm

The only thing that is really concerning about this is the infectiousness of it. The rate of infection and transmission is alarming, yet the mortality rate at 3.5% pales in comparison to the 38% mortality rate the Ebola outbreak had. We didnt cancel things then did we? Did we stay away from work, school, etc? Nope. Bird flu, swine flu, SARS, MERS, all higher mortality rates. Yet this one has us shutting down. Like most diseases, those at the highest risk are the elderly or those with compromised immune systems.

Let's just all live in a bubble for the rest of our lives. I'm good being woke bro. Stay stocked up on toilet paper.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:49 pm

Posted the same link earlier. Really good listen.

BTW, the NHL is now talking with experts in the wake of the NBA's decision. Could see that shut down too.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:50 pm

Exactly. Unfortunately, the “president” of the U.S. didn’t take it too serious at first, but now, he has no choice to. No coincidence, after the Florida Congressman tested positive and tons of outbreaks, maybe it should’ve been a top priority from the jump.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:54 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:32 pm

X3

So we have a non-medical professional disagreeing with medical professionals about a medical issue. Pretty much sums up the entire mass hysteria and fear mongering the media has done to this country. The media drives our country more than we care to admit. We are literally a bunch of sheep blindly following the sheep in front of us.
I'm an emergency medicine physician, you half-wit.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

TimeWillTell
Captain
Captain

Postby TimeWillTell » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:56 pm

X3

As someone who keeps two weeks of food and water around in case of a natural disaster, I am a big fan of preparedness. But there is absolutely a line between panic and preparedness and we are flirting with it and probably have crossed it in some cases, with misinformation floating around and often propagated by the media. Ultimately, this illness is no different than any other viral illness and that the elderly and immunocompromise are at higher risk (usually children also but that doesn't seem to be the case in this). And while I am in favor of reducing the amount of large gatherings, we need to be careful to Not lose sight of the bigger picture. It’s all intertwined. For example, as more and more schools and other activities are canceled, that will put a strain on the working class folks including myself who gets up and goes to work every day to treat patients that need me. My wife and I both work, if school and daycare cancels, I have to stay home or she does and either way patients suffer. As more people panic buy basic items, others will go without which may lead to the degradation of basic sanitation and nutrition, Which in turn will lead to a whole host of problems. I don’t have a perfect answer or solution, but I think we need to tread carefully.

As far as what I personally believe, I believe as testing becomes more accessible and more widespread we will find more and more cases of positive patients with mild disease which will ultimately drive the mortality rate down. If I was a betting man I would guess the general mortality rate will be around 0.3% to 0.5%, which may be further reduced is a efficacious vaccination arises. We are already seeing the mortality rate go down worldwide (though Italy does seem to be an outlier). Time will tell.
2020, 2021, 2022 Champion!
12 Team 1QB 0.5 PPR 30 man roster
Start: 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1Def
QB: Mahomes, Brady, Stafford
RB: Barkley, Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Jacobs
WR: Chase, Jefferson, AJB, Lamb, DJM, Olave, Dotson, Mike Evans
TE: Hock, Dulcich, Chig, Fant, Jonnu, Hurst, Everett
K: Some guy
Def: Who knows
1.01, 1.03

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:57 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:54 pm
jenkins.math wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:32 pm

I'm an emergency medicine physician, you half-wit.
I was waiting for it 😁. "Vents" was a dead giveaway for ED or ICU.
16 team league

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:58 pm

Just a headsup that if this does not veer back on track as to how it pertains to the NFL the thread will be transferred to the off-topic forum.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..