More 2020 Hype: "If You Need A RB or WR, this is the draft for you."

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: More 2020 Hype: "If You Need A RB or WR, this is the draft for you."

Postby nathanq42 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:36 pm

But would they not be that much more dangerous with a stud RB like swift/dobbins/Taylor?
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:58 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:36 pm But would they not be that much more dangerous with a stud RB like swift/dobbins/Taylor?
... so they would win the superbowl by more points?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:02 pm

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:58 pm
nathanq42 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:36 pm But would they not be that much more dangerous with a stud RB like swift/dobbins/Taylor?
Mahomes had to play unconscious through the playoffs for them to get to the SB. I think the idea is, with a better RB, he won't have to carry the team the way he did. Just because it happened last year doesn't mean it will happen again this year. I'm sure Reid would love a better RB than Williams. Upgrading a SB roster at a weak spot only increases your chances of repeating, obviously. I don't think RB is the highest priority they will have, though, I agree the Chiefs likely don't draft a back early, but if they did, it certainly would be an ever more potent looking attack than last year.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:09 pm

The way the Chiefs were able to plug n play just about any RB into their lineup and be somewhat effective speaks volumes to them not needing a high profile RB. They had Darrell Williams looking like a legit starter for goodness sake.

RB isn't the focal spot it once was. Find someone serviceable that won't get injured, pay them rookie chicken feed, and once that's up move on. See: SF 49ers. Next man up.

Would it be a dream for them to take one of the top backs? YES! Will it happen with other defensive pressing needs? No.
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:24 pm

These multiple threads for the incoming rookie draft is starting to drive me crazy. Can we just make this one the official one?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:24 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:24 pm These multiple threads for the incoming rookie draft is starting to drive me crazy. Can we just make this one the official one?
I was thinking the same thing a few days ago. I'm all for it.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:38 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:02 pm
Mahomes had to play unconscious through the playoffs for them to get to the SB. I think the idea is, with a better RB, he won't have to carry the team the way he did. Just because it happened last year doesn't mean it will happen again this year. I'm sure Reid would love a better RB than Williams. Upgrading a SB roster at a weak spot only increases your chances of repeating, obviously. I don't think RB is the highest priority they will have, though, I agree the Chiefs likely don't draft a back early, but if they did, it certainly would be an ever more potent looking attack than last year.
Or maybe instead of taking a RB in the first few rounds they go defense so their D can stop someone and Mahomes doesn't have to play lights out. I mean the greatest QB of all time is there because those teams had special defenses.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:43 pm

By this logic they should donate all their draft picks to the lowly Browns Bengals as they don't need them, my Browns would appreciate another few chances to draft some more busts.

skinfanjon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby skinfanjon » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:52 pm

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:40 am
gunfrees wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:33 am
stoneghost28 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:47 pm

Did you hear the funny tidbit about how thoroughly irrelevant the combine seems to be for WR prospects. He found greater correlation between worse forty yard times for 2nd round WR's and future success than the faster guys. Basically the two things that seemed to be connected to future success were total nonsense (like different weight lifting drills) suggesting the combine was total noise, and not helpful at all w/WR's.

That would echo what I've heared from rotoviz: namely, draft capital, then breakout age, then dominator, and if you're looking for more details you can check out some regression trees they make, but basically with WR, you're best advised to just use a combo of draft capital and breakout age, and dominator to screen guys out. You'll miss on the occasional guy like McLaurin and Michael Thomas, but they are so rare (only about 10-15% of WR's that are producing WR1-WR4 type seasons have sub 50ish percentile breakout ages, and oddly, 2 of the most recent 4 or 5 were Ohio State guys-so paying attention to situations like Ohio State, this year's Alabama perhaps, for outliers probably makes sense for the rare exceptions) that it's just a highly effective tool for tossing out some players more likely to bust than others.
Jesse Reeve's from PlayerProfiler seems to also think draft capital + breakout age is probably your best bet for a receiver

https://twitter.com/JesseReevesFF/statu ... 7859127298
Jesse must have seen my spreadsheet and been inspired...

This was covered a few pages ago. I can share my spreadsheet by request. Can predict a fantasy top 24 WR better than the NFL draft hit rate of a fantasy top 24 WR
No, it doesn't. I think it was kbryant that debunked this pages ago.

You really need to have a header above every one of your posts that reads something like "I speak authoritatively and condescendingly about everything despite being new to dynasty and owning a horrible track record from last years rookie draft cough Darell Henderson Andy Isabella JJAW NKeal Harry cough".

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:57 pm

skinfanjon wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:52 pm

Jesse Reeve's from PlayerProfiler seems to also think draft capital + breakout age is probably your best bet for a receiver

This was covered a few pages ago. I can share my spreadsheet by request. Can predict a fantasy top 24 WR better than the NFL draft hit rate of a fantasy top 24 WR

You really need to have a header above every one of your posts that reads something like "I speak authoritatively and condescendingly about everything despite being new to dynasty and owning a horrible track record from last years rookie draft cough Darell Henderson Andy Isabella JJAW NKeal Harry cough".
Dude what is with your obsession with Johnny B. Goode? All your attempts at painting him as a fool only further succeed in proving yourself as one. Just shut up and go do your trolling elsewhere, you bring absolutely nothing to any discussion you make an appearance in.

TimeWillTell
Captain
Captain

Postby TimeWillTell » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:01 pm

skinfanjon wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:52 pm

At least he attempted to bring something of value to this discussion. From what I can tell about 80% of your posts are going after him.
2020, 2021, 2022 Champion!
12 Team 1QB 0.5 PPR 30 man roster
Start: 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1Def
QB: Mahomes, Brady, Stafford
RB: Barkley, Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Jacobs
WR: Chase, Jefferson, AJB, Lamb, DJM, Olave, Dotson, Mike Evans
TE: Hock, Dulcich, Chig, Fant, Jonnu, Hurst, Everett
K: Some guy
Def: Who knows
1.01, 1.03

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:05 pm

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:33 pm
killer_of_giants wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:30 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:13 pm
Plenty of average players have had a strong performance in the SB, Williams' performance means little to nothing going forward.
it means their system works well with average RBs (he had plenty of good performances since going there), and they are 10 a penny. again, doesn't mean they won't draft an RB early, i just think it's unlikely.
I agree here.

Which is true:
1. KC won the superbowl in spite of not having a star RB
2. KC didnt need a star RB to win the superbowl

KC doesnt need to invest a 1st round pick in a RB. I don't see it happening
Agreed ... KC is going to have too many holes to fill on defense... especially if they give Mahomes a new contract.

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:47 pm

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:33 pm
killer_of_giants wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:30 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:13 pm
Plenty of average players have had a strong performance in the SB, Williams' performance means little to nothing going forward.
it means their system works well with average RBs (he had plenty of good performances since going there), and they are 10 a penny. again, doesn't mean they won't draft an RB early, i just think it's unlikely.
I agree here.

Which is true:
1. KC won the superbowl in spite of not having a star RB
2. KC didnt need a star RB to win the superbowl

KC doesnt need to invest a 1st round pick in a RB. I don't see it happening
Damien played like a superstar.

But he's a 27 year old, oft-injured player and they have basically nothing behind him. Darrel Williams is the dictionary definition of a JAG. Darwin Thompson doesn't get it between the ears. So if Kansas City sees this as a position of need, should they draft another mid-late Darwin Thompson or Darrel Williams? Or should they draft a guy knowing Damien's done soon? Doesn't need to be a first rounder. Cam Akers will be there in the third round potentially, or Zack Moss.

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:41 pm

AussieMate wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:43 pm
By this logic they should donate all their draft picks to the lowly Browns Bengals as they don't need them, my Browns would appreciate another few chances to draft some more busts.
I gave a facetious answer above because KC had one of, if not the, best offense in the NFL last year. People say, "but imagine them with a great rb!"

My retort is... well, can you be better than the best? 1st place is 1st place. theres no 1st+. But I get it, they could be even more dominant, sure, but maybe not? Whos to say a top rb would do better than Williams did in the superbowl?

Next man up works for KC. They should really upgrade their defense... and I think they will.

The cliche thing used to be to suggest a rb or wr would go to NE. Now it's just KC. Which I get it, talented players + potent offense = juicy fantasy situation. It just gets tiresome when it's not as realistic as we would all hope.

Maybe they do take a RB round 1. but I'd be surprised.
Last edited by Johnny B. Goode on Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:54 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:26 pm Interesting hearing Scott Barrett from PFF saying Taylor should be the clear 1.01. The analytics he used had him in a class of players that is jaw dropping. He also said yards per route run was the most predictive stat for receiving at the next level for RB's, in which he finished first, and Swift 2nd.
I wouldn't put much weight on any comparative college production stats. Any college production is more a reflection on a particular college team than an individual player. Such comparison are mostly meaningless.

In the context of Wisconsin's offensive scheme, RBs are rarely used in the passing attack. In those situations where they threw to Taylor out of the backfield he was rarely picked up by a defender. In this light it would make sense that those plays were highly successful.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates