Corey Davis - is this it, will it get better?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Re: Corey Davis - is this it, will it get better?

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:37 am

As a guy who doesn't own him anywhere, I have no interest in adding him unless I have very deep rosters.

Seems like the kind of guy you know has potential, puts up a good game every now & then, but you never started him. It would be depressing to see him taking up a roster space, even if I got him cheap.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:22 am

Factory of Sadness wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:02 am There's no rationale here for WHY a team should give him 130 targets. Davis cemented the Treadwell lesson for me that as skeptical as I am about much of the combine, I am not drafting a WR who doesn't run there again, at least not as high as those two. Davis is sluggish and we didn't see this because of MAC competition. He's fine as an NFL talent. He's fast enough-just- big enough, fluid enough etc. I haven't seen any outstanding traits though. Just comparing him to this year's intake, he doesn't have AJ Brown's strength or speed, he can't run with Deebo, who is stronger to boot, much less run with Metcalf or McLaurin. With all of the WRs coming in this year who can absolutely fly, I'm not sure why any team would decide that this is the guy that they want they to run their offense through?
Exactly. His problem is he can't seperate, so no team will ever go into a season with Corey Davis as the planned WR1 on a team. Tennessee knows this too, so they were quick to add another WR with good draft capital, even though they are a run team. Corey Davis, simply isn't good enough.

As a WR3, he may have some value, but don't expect more.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:31 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:37 am As a guy who doesn't own him anywhere, I have no interest in adding him unless I have very deep rosters.

Seems like the kind of guy you know has potential, puts up a good game every now & then, but you never started him. It would be depressing to see him taking up a roster space, even if I got him cheap.
It's a little depressing if you drafted him in the 1st but I don't think you need "deep" rosters to hold him either. Team 1 for myself is only 14 keepers so he's likely not there at the start of the year, but I'm holding in my other league and there's only 250 players rostered there, which I'm pretty sure is on the lower side for dynasty. I guess I could drop for Dorsett or Pettis, but I don't think they have the talent or potential Davis does. Of course I'm not starting him, but I have a few guys I'd never start, that's why it's dynasty. Maybe if my roster was only 18 or 20 deep then yeah he'd be on the WW. He's easily rostered in most leagues I bet.

I also get not wanting to add him though. He's stuck in TEN for 1-2 more years (likely just 1, I assume his 5th year option won't get exercised because his cap hit is probably significant). So he's not worth acquiring if he's just sitting on your bench as you likely have better or similar options to him. Even if you have worse options than Davis, it's probably a marginal upgrade for your roster and at what cost? His owner may be still demanding of a 2nd round pick. I'd rather roll the dice with a 2nd myself.

He's just in a pretty bad spot for a middle of the pack WR. I still think he can be good but he's no WR1, or possibly not even 2nd option on a good passing team. I still would like to see him on a good passing team first though.

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:49 am

Factory of Sadness wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:02 am There's no rationale here for WHY a team should give him 130 targets. Davis cemented the Treadwell lesson for me that as skeptical as I am about much of the combine, I am not drafting a WR who doesn't run there again, at least not as high as those two. Davis is sluggish and we didn't see this because of MAC competition. He's fine as an NFL talent. He's fast enough-just- big enough, fluid enough etc. I haven't seen any outstanding traits though. Just comparing him to this year's intake, he doesn't have AJ Brown's strength or speed, he can't run with Deebo, who is stronger to boot, much less run with Metcalf or McLaurin. With all of the WRs coming in this year who can absolutely fly, I'm not sure why any team would decide that this is the guy that they want they to run their offense through?
It would be nice if defensive coordinators believed this so Davis wouldn't see as much double coverage or top CB attention.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:18 am

I still like Davis, but it's becoming harder to imagine him fulfilling his upside. I'm not sure what his issue is. A few seasons ago, he was abusing Stephon Gilmore in man coverage, now he just looks ordinary. Initially, I think situation held him back, but Brown went off this year and Davis didn't benefit from Tannehill playing over his head and defenses keying in on Derrick Henry.

There's some parallels here to Sammy Watkins, except Davis wasn't as productive as Sammy in his first two seasons.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:44 am

The Titans were last or 2nd to last in Passing Attempts per game.

Corey Davis still earned 15% target share. Thats about equal to Mike Williams, Calvin Ridley, Darius Slayton, Marquise Brown and/or James Washington.

If you do not feel his volume or situation will ever improve, obviously you're welcome to move on. However, his target volume, which was comparable to Year I, still saw a strong improvement in production, despite a completely different situation. It seems quite feasible should his target volume return to a level similar to Golladay, John Brown, Gallup & or Lockett saw, his production will likely be similar to what they did.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:20 am

What bewilders me is how this guy hasn’t put it together yet. Eye test, draft capital, and most importantly imo and been mentioned: he’s drawing really tough coverage. I don’t have the numbers but he’s seen very high percentage of top cb/doubles/rolled coverages, etc. Course, it goes without saying, at some point ya gotta produce anyways, but still. It’s at a minimum an indication that NFL HC/DCs think he deserves attention. I’ll take that over most if not all fantasy pundit takes.

Now, in 2020 is AJB gonna take some pressure off? Is a year with tanny gonna be a positive? I’d say there’s a chance at least.

I got the guy on two teams, one salary team for fairly cheap, so it won’t be huge either way if I keep or cut him. There’s zero trade interest though.

The actual dynasty team I have him on he’s buried as my WR6 or something so no reason to do anything. This guy, man.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:10 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:31 am
Pac_Eddy wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:37 am As a guy who doesn't own him anywhere, I have no interest in adding him unless I have very deep rosters.

It's a little depressing if you drafted him in the 1st but I don't think you need "deep" rosters to hold him either. Team 1 for myself is only 14 keepers so he's likely not there at the start of the year, but I'm holding in my other league and there's only 250 players rostered there, which I'm pretty sure is on the lower side for dynasty. I guess I could drop for Dorsett or Pettis, but I don't think they have the talent or potential Davis does. Of course I'm not starting him, but I have a few guys I'd never start, that's why it's dynasty. Maybe if my roster was only 18 or 20 deep then yeah he'd be on the WW. He's easily rostered in most leagues I bet.

I also get not wanting to add him though. He's stuck in TEN for 1-2 more years (likely just 1, I assume his 5th year option won't get exercised because his cap hit is probably significant). So he's not worth acquiring if he's just sitting on your bench as you likely have better or similar options to him. Even if you have worse options than Davis, it's probably a marginal upgrade for your roster and at what cost? His owner may be still demanding of a 2nd round pick. I'd rather roll the dice with a 2nd myself.

He's just in a pretty bad spot for a middle of the pack WR. I still think he can be good but he's no WR1, or possibly not even 2nd option on a good passing team. I still would like to see him on a good passing team first though.
I agree with all your points.

I was illustrating how a non Davis owner isn't likely to want to aquire him, even for a low price. If you own him, the only option is to wait it out, even though that can suck.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:26 pm

djeternal2 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:37 pm
Krypto_King wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:28 pm
I love how AJ Brown takes a few passes 60 yards after the catch and now Ryan Tannehill is a great quarterback :confused:
a better situation would be one where he gets thrown the ball and/or the team passes more than 25 times per game. which Davis isn't getting anytime soon so he's a hold or maybe dump for a future 2nd
AJB must have had a monster year then. Tanny had 286 att and threw for 2700 yards in 10 games started with 22 TD & 6 INT. He averaged over your arbitrary line of 25 att per game. You know what CD did over those games: 42 targets 27 catches 364 yards 1 TD.
umm Yes, AJB had an awesome year. Tanny started 13 games this year and threw 330 passes in those games for 25.38 attempts per game. He also has a very long track record. He is Andy Dalton with some mobility. In an offense that throws 25 times per game. That's a pretty bleep situation to be in for a WR.

Here is some recent film on Davis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84qoFNseqTI
I don't think separation or ability is the main issue but I can also see maybe he isn't quite quick, fast or strong enough to hit the ceiling many predicted for him.

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:01 pm

Tannehill was QB3 from weeks 7-16...

Walter W.
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Walter W. » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:11 pm

Our dynasty league just completed its 10th season. Here are the WRs I've drafted in the 1st round:

2012 - Stephen Hill (1.09)
2013 - Justin Hunter (1.10)
2014 - Sammy Watkins (1.01) and Jordan Matthews (1.11)
2015 - Amari Cooper (1.04)
2016 - Sterling Shepard (1.07)
2017 - Corey Davis (1.03)

I suck at drafting WRs :( . Good thing I've hit on most of the RBs I've drafted.

I will just hold Davis and hope for the best for now.
The One Who Knocks
12 team league, 27 man rosters (more during the offseason), 7 man Practice Squad. Standard league with big play scoring for IDPs.

QB: L. Jackson, K. Mond, K. Murray, A. Richardson, D. Thompson-Robinson
RB: L. Bellamy, Z. Charbonnet, N. Chubb, N. Harris, K. Hunt, K. Ingram, C. Edwards-Helaire, J. Mixon, D. Vaughn, J. Warren, K. Williams
WR: C. Austin, O. Beckham, A. Cooper, C. Davis, J. Downs, M. Goodwin, N. Harry, J. Jefferson, J. Jeudy, T. Johnson, M. Jones, A. Lazard, M. Mims, S. Moore, R. Rice, J. Smith-Schuster, J. Washington, A. Wesley, N. Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: N. Fant, H. Henry, K. Pitts, D. Washington
K: Z. Gonzalez, R. Gould, B. McManus
DL: J. Hughes, T. Wilson
LB: D. Harris, J. Houston, S. Leonard
DB: E. Forbes, A. Robertson

2024 picks: 1, 1, 3, 5, 5, 6, 7
2025 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

lic217
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lic217 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:26 pm

Walter W. wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:11 pm Our dynasty league just completed its 10th season. Here are the WRs I've drafted in the 1st round:

2012 - Stephen Hill (1.09)
2013 - Justin Hunter (1.10)
2014 - Sammy Watkins (1.01) and Jordan Matthews (1.11)
2015 - Amari Cooper (1.04)
2016 - Sterling Shepard (1.07)
2017 - Corey Davis (1.03)

I suck at drafting WRs :( . Good thing I've hit on most of the RBs I've drafted.

I will just hold Davis and hope for the best for now.
I suck at rb but usually good at picking wrs. If we combine our skills we could dominate the universe

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:05 pm

I think Davis can still be a productive NFL WR, but more of a no. 2 like a Mohamed Sanu in ATL or Nelson Agholor. I don't know that Davis will ever become more than a WR3 or flex for fantasy purposes.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:14 pm

He sucks.

I was so glad I so glad I sold him everywhere last offseason.

He needs out of Tennessee to hopefully regain his fantasy value
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:56 pm

DJB wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:14 pm He sucks.
#analysis