General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Baker mayfield

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:59 pm

purplepride28 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:44 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:34 pm
purplepride28 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:29 pm Mark it down bold statement baker has a total of 40 touchdowns next year with throwing and rushing combined.
38 throwing 2 rushing. Somebody screenshot and call me a dumbass next offseason. And that’s his low cieling I have for him going into the season with stefanski. I think they address the o line and call a lot more play action and are less predictable. The kid set rookie throwing tds a year ago and didn’t play a whole season. Remember how Lamar will never be a good passer last year? Zzzzzz
Will do. I think it's called ownership bias, combined with wishful thinking.
On what basis do can you really say with 100% certainty that’s whst the career path will be at this very moment. I’m all ears? I’m in 8 leagues with a lot of differant players. Never have owners bias towards any players in the league.
But I know what I saw from baker his whole career. From college to his rookie season to last year taking a slight step back. But at times still showed he’s got the talent. The brown All around as a team were a dumpster fire because of kitchens. I don’t know why but I picture don Vito when I pictured kitchens giving his speeches. Or yelling at players.
I've taken the screenshot. Now we wait.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:28 am

IZigUZag wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:08 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:48 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:33 pm Anyway, back to Baker. Do you think we see a more Minnesota like offense this year? Focus on the run and play action? Less attempts but more efficiency based? Curious how much the new coach brings with him from that system.
Doesn't matter, there will be a new one in '21.
Thats bold cotton, well see if that works out for you
Is it though? They're on their 12th HC since returning to the league, and the longest tenured was 4 years which was Romeo Crennel (12 years and 8 HCs ago). Since then none have last more than Hue's two and a half seasons, with 2 HCs (Chudzinski and Freddie) being canned after just one year. My comment was kind of tongue in cheek, I don’t think will actually be stupid enough to fire Stefanski after one season, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. What would surprise me is if Stefanski is still HC going into '22-'23, that's just how the Browns have run the organization.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:58 am

Value sank like a rock all year, so in a 1QB league right now, I'm holding him on my taxi until I can trade him for something more than a 3rd or 4th.

Wish I had traded him before the season, but then again, like plenty of owners, I had much higher expectations this past season.

The faceplant was very disappointing, though I expect a 2020 Baker believer would offer up a 2nd at least, right?
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:38 am

Ice wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:48 am The raw talent is obvious
I've seen a lot of conflicting opinions on how much raw talent he actually has.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:07 am

I sold Brieda/Coutee for Baker/mid 3rd last year about week 8. After losing Luck I thought I was buying low for the future. I still think he has the right tools to succeed, but he needs to get off his Johnny Manziel path and just play the game. I think he likes portraying the bad boy, but can't handle the criticism that comes along with it.
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 am

Lotto4Life wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:38 am
Yeah, I mean, I don't see a ton of "raw talent". He's accurate when he has time and doesn't have to go off script. For an NFL QB, that should be basic. I've seen a lot of debate about his "talent" as well. A lot of people think he was overdrafted by the Browns.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:59 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:07 am I sold Brieda/Coutee for Baker/mid 3rd last year about week 8. After losing Luck I thought I was buying low for the future. I still think he has the right tools to succeed, but he needs to get off his Johnny Manziel path and just play the game. I think he likes portraying the bad boy, but can't handle the criticism that comes along with it.
Don't see him on Manziel's path at all. Manziel has/had dependency issues that landed him in rehab. Nothing has been suggested that Baker has these type issues.

Neither is really media savvy but as far as off field issues there isn't much of a comparison there in spite of the media portrait painted.

The style of play is similar but the work ethic is very different. Baker does need to mature IMO more than anything else. That chip on his shoulder may be heavy but he is young and most grow up eventually.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:07 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 am
Yeah, I mean, I don't see a ton of "raw talent". He's accurate when he has time and doesn't have to go off script. For an NFL QB, that should be basic. I've seen a lot of debate about his "talent" as well. A lot of people think he was overdrafted by the Browns.
I remember he got my attention the first time I saw him throw. His ball just looks nice but whatever. He’s got raw talent like Cutler and Jameis had and have raw talent. BFD, every QB in the league is talented.

With all that said, I’m not giving up on Baker. He and the Browns will get it going to some degree.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:21 am

Baker was one of the most prolific QB's in the history of college football. His mid range accuracy and accuracy on the move were elite.

Often times people confuse talent with success. Baker was a lock first round talent by virtually everyone in football, one can debate if he was the best talent worthy of the top pick but the skill set was not in question.

How Baker develops his skill set within the team game is what people should debating. He certainly needs to add discipline to his game and hopefully with a more structured environment he will.

Baker does have a lot of Favre in his game so I suspect he will remain somewhat of a lighting rod and will have plenty of advocates and detractors for the next several years.

People seem to have already forgotten Baker broke P. Manning's and R. Wilson Passing TD record in fewer games en route to his rookie of the year award. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater after the dumpster fire that were the entire Browns organization last year may be a bit premature.

No question there are risks with Baker, but it isn't actual raw talent.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:08 am

AussieMate wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:53 pm Even 10 is a touch high for me atm, I just assumed people had soured on him more and I might be able to buy for a discount this offseason. Off the top of my head I'd take Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, Murray, Allen, Burrow, Wentz, Prescott, Ryan, Winston, Tannehill, Rodgers, Jones, Wilson. Probs missing some and a few you could argue me around like Winston and Jones, also the order is definitely not my rankings.
Wow, you're really low on Mayfield. Here's where I have him in my dynasty QB rankings:

Mahomes
---------------
Jackson
Watson
Murray
---------------
Wilson
Allen
Prescott
---------------
Mayfield
Wentz
Stafford
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:12 am

Baker's got the talent. Yeah, his system in college helped, but he was prolific in the system. He knows how to read the field rapidly and throws a good ball. His OL was pretty bad and he had a limited Beckham (hip flexor? can't remember) not getting open on the regular like we all expect from a talent like that. He was running an unimaginative offense with a porous OL and forcing rushed passes into tight windows on the regular. Most QBs won't look good in that situation. I see plenty of talent watching him play, but that's a subjective analysis. Objectively, he was great all the way up to last year. He showed up in the NFL as a rookie, so it wasn't just his college system supporting the stats. Oh and correction to an above post, he wasn't rookie of the year if I remember right...Barkley was. But Baker might have been if he played a full season. I think he's a very promising QB for the future.

That said...anyone pointing to his situation with the Browns as a major cause for concern has an indisputably valid point. That organization has a culture of losing, and it comes from the top down. They get a decent coach like Pettine and what happens? The owner FORCES a Jonny Manziel on the head coach and the franchise loses a ton...so they fire the coach that couldn't make Manziel work. Seems Pettine is a pretty good DC and maybe would have been a good HC without Haslam's intervening on football operations. Hell, the same forced move from Haslam caused Kyle Shanahan to up and quit as their OC. Haslam dumped Sashi Brown because he wasn't seeing eye to eye with genius for roster construction Hue Jackson. Rumor was Sashi refused to send a significant pick for AJ McCarron after Hue had arranged a trade, and that pushed the tension too far. Sashi was then dumped right before all his asset accumulation could be put to work. They brought in Dorsey, who had been dumped by the Chiefs for putting them in a pretty poor cap situation. Dorsey's moves can be argued as good or bad, as yeah, he overpaid Landry but doing so opened the door for Beckham to want to come in. That turned out to be not so great, but Beckham was also injured so we still need to wait and see. Not all bad there...but damn stick with a plan! Dorsey drafted Mayfield (many argue that was Sashi's type of guy anyways and he would have done the same) and Dorsey also drafted Mahomes. Hard to argue that he's all bad...maybe bad cap situations but I'd say he has an eye for talent. Dorsey is dumped now and we're on to another change in coach and GM. Constant turnover with no plan ever being given time to bear fruit...and the one thing that needs to be changed isn't going to happen...Haslam getting out of the way.

The upside of Baker is he has the talent of a quick and accurate assessment of the field, a quick and accurate release of the ball, and good enough mobility. The talent, basically, is his upside.
The downside is his organization.

Just some of my opinions, anyways. Much of what I've written can easily be argued with.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:15 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:08 am
AussieMate wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:53 pm Even 10 is a touch high for me atm, I just assumed people had soured on him more and I might be able to buy for a discount this offseason. Off the top of my head I'd take Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, Murray, Allen, Burrow, Wentz, Prescott, Ryan, Winston, Tannehill, Rodgers, Jones, Wilson. Probs missing some and a few you could argue me around like Winston and Jones, also the order is definitely not my rankings.
Wow, you're really low on Mayfield. Here's where I have him in my dynasty QB rankings:

Mahomes
---------------
Jackson
Watson
Murray
---------------
Wilson
Allen
Prescott
---------------
Mayfield
Wentz
Stafford
I wouldn't have him top 10 either, not sure if I would put him top 15

1 Mahomes
2 Lamar
3 Watson
4 Wilson
5 Kyler
6 Wentz
7 Dak
8 Burrow
9 Allen
10 Ryan
11 Rodgers
12 Stafford

I would trade Baker for any of those QBs in most situations, and there are others I would consider it as well.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:16 am

he likes cheesecake too much.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:27 am

Ice wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:21 am
Baker was one of the most prolific QB's in the history of college football. His mid range accuracy and accuracy on the move were elite.

Often times people confuse talent with success. Baker was a lock first round talent by virtually everyone in football, one can debate if he was the best talent worthy of the top pick but the skill set was not in question.

How Baker develops his skill set within the team game is what people should debating. He certainly needs to add discipline to his game and hopefully with a more structured environment he will.

Baker does have a lot of Favre in his game so I suspect he will remain somewhat of a lighting rod and will have plenty of advocates and detractors for the next several years.

People seem to have already forgotten Baker broke P. Manning's and R. Wilson Passing TD record in fewer games en route to his rookie of the year award. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater after the dumpster fire that were the entire Browns organization last year may be a bit premature.

No question there are risks with Baker, but it isn't actual raw talent.
Baker really wasn't very accurate last year. He's talented, but I don't think he has more talent than most QB's in the NFL. I'd still rank him around 10-12 in Dynasty.

Beyond Mahomes, Lamar, Watson, Wilson, Wentz and Dak, I think the next few guys behind that for me can switch fairly easily. I have Kyler next after those guys, but he needs to show me more before I put him up with the players I've already mentioned.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:29 am

Right in the midst of his rookie run, I sold Baker for a 2020 first. Well that guy ended up trading Baker this season for something (don't remember) and then I bought Baker back for a 5th. Oh that 2020 first turned into the 1.02.

I expect a bounce back year from Baker and would certainly buy him for a dart throw at this stage. I'd rank him above every single QB in this draft except Burrow. Even Burrow isn't a can't miss prospect though.

I will say this: if Baker doesn't bounce back this season, and continues to make headlines for all the wrong reasons, he will be dropped in most single QB leagues and his stock will be at an all time low this time next year.