More 2020 Hype: "If You Need A RB or WR, this is the draft for you."

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: More 2020 Hype: "If You Need A RB or WR, this is the draft for you."

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:56 pm

If he picked Paper and lost, that just translates even further to him being soft. Going to be hard to matchup against NFL corners and beat press if you pick Paper

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:41 pm

It always amuses me when someone says they’re not drafting a particular player because of an analytical factor like dominator rating and then people cue up to tell them why it doesn’t apply in that particular instance.

That’s the whole point of drafting based on analytics, the score is the score - it doesn’t matter what the “factors” are. Either you’re drafting on analytics with Jeudy and his dominator rating is a red flag that you won’t be touching, or your not.

Neither is wrong, but it’s pointless to argue about the semantics as to why a dominator rating doesn’t apply when someone says that’s why they’re not drafting him.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:26 pm

cantguardjake wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:41 pm It always amuses me when someone says they’re not drafting a particular player because of an analytical factor like dominator rating and then people cue up to tell them why it doesn’t apply in that particular instance.

That’s the whole point of drafting based on analytics, the score is the score - it doesn’t matter what the “factors” are. Either you’re drafting on analytics with Jeudy and his dominator rating is a red flag that you won’t be touching, or your not.

Neither is wrong, but it’s pointless to argue about the semantics as to why a dominator rating doesn’t apply when someone says that’s why they’re not drafting him.
That's true to an extent, and is one of my pet peeves. I mean you had people caping up for Ameer Abdullah saying that it doesn't matter he was slow because he could bench press a lot. The numbers are what they are. However, in Jeudy's case, if you look at the WR's drafted in the top 20 of the 1st round with similar dominator ratings as Jeudy, the comps are actually very good but for the lone exception of Tedd Ginn. And we all know Ginn was not drafted for his route running abilities. So while I agree that people go overboard trying to justify red flags, sometimes there are valid reasons to minimize certain statistical red flags.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:30 pm

cantguardjake wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:41 pm It always amuses me when someone says they’re not drafting a particular player because of an analytical factor like dominator rating and then people cue up to tell them why it doesn’t apply in that particular instance.

This is a really bad take. You’ve confused “drafting based on analytics” to “slavish devotion to a singular metric.” Dominator rating was created because wildly different college offenses produced wildly different receiving numbers, and it turned out that earning a higher percentage of your teams yards/receptions/TDs was better correlated with NFL success than with raw totals.

But it’s just one metric. Jeudy still has great per catch numbers and a good breakout age. He’ll likely test well at the combine, and he’ll likely be attached to premium draft capital. Saying that you “won’t be touching” Jeudy because one of his measurements was below average is bad process. It’s not even that bad! There are plenty of first round WRs with similar dominator ratings who had great careers. Ruggs’, on the other hand, is much worse in the same context.

People who understand and use these tools can discuss their utility on a case by case basis. Jeudy is part of a WR room that could produce three NFL first round picks. That context is important.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:56 pm

There's four potential 1st rounders that played meaningful snaps at WR for Bama this year, Waddle is really good too.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:01 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:56 pm If he picked Paper and lost, that just translates even further to him being soft. Going to be hard to matchup against NFL corners and beat press if you pick Paper
Yep. Unless he did it like this, and went with rock, but always uses the same move. Players will quickly adapt to guys that are one trick ponies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0SoKWLkmLU
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:11 pm

Two analytical scores people use for WR at this point are College Dominator and Breakout Age. What do you do when they both paint completely different pictures? Jeudy’s breakout age is 82 percentile. Analytics are not black and white where you can either “only draft on analytics or not” because a lot of the analytics tell completely different stories about the same player. This is where the context comes into play.
Dynasty Team 1:

10 Man, Full PPR, .2 PPC, Double Flex

QB: Kyler Murray
RB: Saquon Barkley , Breece Hall, Swift, Dobbins, Gibson, CEH
WR: Devante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Jamarr Chase, DK Metcalf, Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy
TE: Travis Kelce

2023 Picks: 1.4, 1.8, 2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 3.8

Dynasty Team 2:

10 Man, Half PPR, Double Flex

QB: Tua
RB: Barkley , Mixon, Javonte, Jacobs, CEH
WR: AJB, Tyreek, Lamb, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Kittle

2022 Picks: 1.5, 1.6, 2.3
2023 Picks: 2 x 1st, 2 x 2nd

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:57 pm

The whole point of using analytics and game tape is to acquire as many facts as possible. Trusting numbers at face value without context doesn't offer that. Otherwise, you trust Leonte Carroo's dominator rating over Jerry Jeudy's, while ignoring tape and all the reasons why those numbers are that way.

Jeudy playing in a high volume passing offense that features three first round caliber WR's absolutely matters. There is a right and wrong way to use analytics.

Gtdano_14
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Gtdano_14 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:05 am

Lumps wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:09 pm
CGW wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:31 am Jeudy's poor college PRS rating. Surely it has as much predicting ability as the 3 cone scores.
I would like to call a motion for this heretic to be banished from the forums. PRS!?!? Paper, rock, scissors!?

WITCH!!!!!
My thoughts exactly!! Good catch, Lumps.
16 Team PPR 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 TE - 1 Flex
QB- R.Wilson, B. Mayfield
RB- D. Cook, Zeke, J. Jacobs, J. McKinnon, A. Collins, I. Smith, B. Hill, R. Armstead, M. Boone
WR- J. Smith-Schuster, T. Boyd, C. Sutton, M. Brown, H. Ruggs, S. Miller
TE- G. Kittle, Enron, C. Herndon
'21 Picks- 1.12

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:48 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:26 pm

That's true to an extent, and is one of my pet peeves. I mean you had people caping up for Ameer Abdullah saying that it doesn't matter he was slow because he could bench press a lot. The numbers are what they are. However, in Jeudy's case, if you look at the WR's drafted in the top 20 of the 1st round with similar dominator ratings as Jeudy, the comps are actually very good but for the lone exception of Tedd Ginn. And we all know Ginn was not drafted for his route running abilities. So while I agree that people go overboard trying to justify red flags, sometimes there are valid reasons to minimize certain statistical red flags.
Its hard to explain exactly what I mean without it being an “absolute” statement, but I feel like you understand the point I’m trying to make.

I did see your comment re: Jeudy and being drafted in the top 20. I find comments like that much more enlightening than “yea but he is playing with 3 other first rounders, his dominator doesn’t matter!”

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:42 am

Sorry to interrupt the Jeudy discussion but thought this info would be relevant and useful to many here & wanted to share

Analysis from @DynoGameTheory on twitter regarding what the profile of a top-12 dynasty RB looks like in today's game
(What metrics are most important)

https://twitter.com/DynoGameTheory/stat ... 78561?s=20

(If you're on twitter give the guy a follow btw)

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:18 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:42 am Sorry to interrupt the Jeudy discussion but thought this info would be relevant and useful to many here & wanted to share

Analysis from @DynoGameTheory on twitter regarding what the profile of a top-12 dynasty RB looks like in today's game

Some good stuff there but obviously the sample size he's using is incredibly small. Agility is not as relevant as people think, however if you look back historically at some of the best rb's in the past 10 years or so, burst is not more relevant than agility, etc. I could go on but you get the point. That stuff aside, overall he did a good job.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:30 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:18 am
Prison_Mike wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:42 am Sorry to interrupt the Jeudy discussion but thought this info would be relevant and useful to many here & wanted to share

Some good stuff there but obviously the sample size he's using is incredibly small. Agility is not as relevant as people think, however if you look back historically at some of the best rb's in the past 10 years or so, burst is not more relevant than agility, etc. I could go on but you get the point. That stuff aside, overall he did a good job.
Agreed, and the limited sample size is why I added "in today's game" to my post; because the importance of these metrics could fluctuate greatly depending on who the consensus top-12 is at the time

lanemitchell96
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby lanemitchell96 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:58 am

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:56 pm There's four potential 1st rounders that played meaningful snaps at WR for Bama this year, Waddle is really good too.
This is a great point. I've seen a lot of chatter regarding Jerry Jeudy's dominator rating and market share, and how it matters but has to be contextualized. Seeing this discussion continues to make me think of the BreakoutFinder. It's a project by Nate Liss and Ryan Lopes under the RotoUnderworld umbrella where they take "teammate score" and "dynamic score" into consideration when giving prospects a breakout score. I believe the BreakoutFinder app is coming out soon, according to Nate, Ryan, and Matt Kelley on their podcasts. The teammate score in particular will come in handy with Jeudy, because the higher level prospects a given player plays with in college, the higher his teammate score will be. That specific metric will help give some context to the college dominator rating. If a player had a high college dominator but had no competition for targets on his own team, his teammate score would indicate that and provide a background for his high dominator, and vice versa if a receiver has three other first round wide receivers to compete for targets with on his own team, his teammate score should be very high, which helps paint a bigger picture around his production metrics. Now, there are a receiver or two I do like better than Jeudy but assuming he has a great teammate score, a great breakout age, should test well athletically at the combine, and VERY importantly...should get great draft capital (which really matters), he'll round out as a very good prospect. Yes, there are areas of concern and a red flag or two in his prospect profile, but the fact of the matter is, you can't rely on ONE metric to judge a prospect, for good or for bad, just as you can't rely on one game of film or one highlight reel or one play you saw live. Just be careful with confirmation bias and always use more than one data point during the evaluation process.
Twitter: @LaneMitchell96
FF4L

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:07 am

What issues do people have with Jeudy outside of Dominator Rating?