Greg Olsen Thread - Leaving Carolina

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Sfoster2625
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Greg Olsen leaving CAR

Postby Sfoster2625 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:20 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:51 am
M-Dub wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:44 am Yeah, I’m pretty high on Thomas and excited to see what he does in a full-time starting role, but I definitely wouldn’t have dropped Hock for him. Why not just drop the Niners D instead? That would’ve at least given you some time to shop Hock and get some sort of return for him rather than just outright dropping a guy you (presumably) spent a 1st on less than a year ago.
Not even a certainty that happens. From what I gather from Panther fans, he's still not a very good blocker. When they ran 2 TE sets, he wasn't out there, as the 3rd TE was a better blocker, and Thomas is still very raw. He was coming in, and he's still considered that by Panther fans and last years staff, from what I gathered. Apparently his routes are still not great, according to the coaching staff talking about his lack of playing time last year etc. I would not be certain he's the starter next year. I have him in my sig. as you can see, but I don't think it's a guarantee Thomas simply steps into a full time role.

I'm just trying to look at the situation objectively. Ian Thomas was a 4th round pick a few years ago, and he has not asserted himself beyond being a backup TE, and was left off the field for the 3rd TE in a lot of 2 TE sets. There is new ownership, and a new coaching staff. Thomas really isn't guaranteed anything. He may win the starting role, but the Panthers have a hole to fill with Olsen leaving, and I expect them to bring in some competition for the starting role.

Dropping Hock in any circumstance for Thomas is absurd, to me. He's more talented, and already a more complete TE than Thomas is. Plus that 8th overall price tag is a good way to get on the field.
One of the main reasons he’s basically the 3rd te is bc if I remember correctly manhertz is considered one of the best blocking tes in the league by pff. I have Ian thomas and think he could be a beast but I also don’t like home enough to keep him over any of my other young tes
Qb: Mahomes
Rb: Jacobs Ceh, Damien williams, Vaughn, rojo, fournette, Singletary, akers, snell, devontae booker, boston Scott
Wr: devante Adams, godwin, juju, mclaurin, diontae johnson, mims, Allen Robinson, gallup, Preston Williams
Te: hock, fant
Cb: Kyle fuller, Carlton Davis
S: Jamal Adams, Justin poyer
Edr: nick bosa, Joey bosa, Josh Allen, Jpp, emmanuel agbah
IL: Chris Jones, Jonathan Allen
Lb: Darius Leonard, Roquan Smith, greenlaw

1QB
10 team league
32 man roster
0.5 point ppr
6 point pass td

Idp scoring is even with offense

Sfoster2625
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Sfoster2625 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:24 am

Sfoster2625 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:20 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:51 am
M-Dub wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:44 am Yeah, I’m pretty high on Thomas and excited to see what he does in a full-time starting role, but I definitely wouldn’t have dropped Hock for him. Why not just drop the Niners D instead? That would’ve at least given you some time to shop Hock and get some sort of return for him rather than just outright dropping a guy you (presumably) spent a 1st on less than a year ago.
Not even a certainty that happens. From what I gather from Panther fans, he's still not a very good blocker. When they ran 2 TE sets, he wasn't out there, as the 3rd TE was a better blocker, and Thomas is still very raw. He was coming in, and he's still considered that by Panther fans and last years staff, from what I gathered. Apparently his routes are still not great, according to the coaching staff talking about his lack of playing time last year etc. I would not be certain he's the starter next year. I have him in my sig. as you can see, but I don't think it's a guarantee Thomas simply steps into a full time role.

I'm just trying to look at the situation objectively. Ian Thomas was a 4th round pick a few years ago, and he has not asserted himself beyond being a backup TE, and was left off the field for the 3rd TE in a lot of 2 TE sets. There is new ownership, and a new coaching staff. Thomas really isn't guaranteed anything. He may win the starting role, but the Panthers have a hole to fill with Olsen leaving, and I expect them to bring in some competition for the starting role.

Dropping Hock in any circumstance for Thomas is absurd, to me. He's more talented, and already a more complete TE than Thomas is. Plus that 8th overall price tag is a good way to get on the field.
One of the main reasons he’s basically the 3rd te is bc Manhertz is a really good blocking tight end on a run first offense. I have Ian thomas and think he could be a beast but I also don’t like home enough to keep him over any of my other young tes
Qb: Mahomes
Rb: Jacobs Ceh, Damien williams, Vaughn, rojo, fournette, Singletary, akers, snell, devontae booker, boston Scott
Wr: devante Adams, godwin, juju, mclaurin, diontae johnson, mims, Allen Robinson, gallup, Preston Williams
Te: hock, fant
Cb: Kyle fuller, Carlton Davis
S: Jamal Adams, Justin poyer
Edr: nick bosa, Joey bosa, Josh Allen, Jpp, emmanuel agbah
IL: Chris Jones, Jonathan Allen
Lb: Darius Leonard, Roquan Smith, greenlaw

1QB
10 team league
32 man roster
0.5 point ppr
6 point pass td

Idp scoring is even with offense

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:03 am

When Olsen was out in 2018, Thomas was TE6...

dark_knite03
Captain
Captain

Postby dark_knite03 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:49 pm

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:03 am When Olsen was out in 2018, Thomas was TE6...
New coach.. Possible new QB. Thomas was a wild card/dart throw before. I feel like he's even more so now.

Dropping Hock for him seems like a big risk.
Est '17 12 Team 1PPR 4-Pass 6-Rush/Recieve TD
Start QB RB RB WR WR TE FX FX SF K DL LB DB
Champion 2021.
Geno, Tlaw, M Jones, D.Carr, White
JT, A Jones, Dobbins,Monty,D.Harris, Reyonds
Dillon,Kelley, Warren, Miller, Hill, Penny, Rivers
Diggs, AJB, Jefferson, Chase, Claypool, Juedy, Deebo,WanDale, Mingo, Boutte
Kittle, Andrews,Njoku
Moody

Superflex Est 19' - - Tiered PPR
QB RB RB WR WR WR/RB TE FX SF K D
Dak, Wilson, Watson
Henry, Chubb, ETN, Swift, Gus, Strong, Ford, Spiller, Chandler, Spears
Godwin, DJM , JJ,Kenaan, AJB, Lockett, Austin, Palmer, Boutte
Andrews, Goedert, Juwan, Woods

JJRules
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JJRules » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:57 pm

The universal panning of that move made me go back and watch some more tape on these guys, and I have to say that I think you guys were right.

Hockenson is back on my roster, and Ian Thomas is back on the WW.
10-team Superflex, 0.5 PPR, 15-man rosters, pseudo-dynasty
Keep any number of players (0-15), lose same number of draft picks
2010, 2015, 2020 - 🏆, 2013 - 🥈

QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, SF, FLEX, D/ST

QB: Dak, Watson
RB: Swift, Robinson Jr, Singletary, Brown, Hubbard, Zeus, Herbert
WR: Wilson, Olave, Pickens, Aiyuk
TE: Pitts, LaPorta
D/ST:

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:12 pm

JJRules wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:57 pm The universal panning of that move made me go back and watch some more tape on these guys, and I have to say that I think you guys were right.

Smart move, fortunate you were able to get him back.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:44 pm

JJRules wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:57 pm The universal panning of that move made me go back and watch some more tape on these guys, and I have to say that I think you guys were right.

I still think he’s worth a speculative add. Can you drop the Niners D and pick him back up? Or are you required to roster a defense even in the offseason?
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

JJRules
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JJRules » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:32 pm

M-Dub wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:44 pm

I still think he’s worth a speculative add. Can you drop the Niners D and pick him back up? Or are you required to roster a defense even in the offseason?
Not required to roster a defense throughout the offseason, but the way our keepers and picks work I would have to drop somebody for a D come draft time and then I would have to grab a D in the 16th round (where my only pick would be) and SF is 99% going to be better than anything still available there so holding them is really my best bet since I believe in the unit's talent and youth.
10-team Superflex, 0.5 PPR, 15-man rosters, pseudo-dynasty
Keep any number of players (0-15), lose same number of draft picks
2010, 2015, 2020 - 🏆, 2013 - 🥈

QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, SF, FLEX, D/ST

QB: Dak, Watson
RB: Swift, Robinson Jr, Singletary, Brown, Hubbard, Zeus, Herbert
WR: Wilson, Olave, Pickens, Aiyuk
TE: Pitts, LaPorta
D/ST:

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:11 pm

JJRules wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:32 pm
M-Dub wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:44 pm

Not required to roster a defense throughout the offseason, but the way our keepers and picks work I would have to drop somebody for a D come draft time and then I would have to grab a D in the 16th round (where my only pick would be) and SF is 99% going to be better than anything still available there so holding them is really my best bet since I believe in the unit's talent and youth.
I absolutely think he's worth a speculative add, if he has the space. I think it was a good move to grab Hock back, though. Glad to see you could get him back after rethinking it.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:32 pm

I will miss Witten and Olsen.
I'm a Dad-runner aficionado.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:36 pm

I just hope Seattle doesn't end up paying him something like $5 million for 2020 on a 1-year rental. Granted that his QB play was pretty poor in 2019 (and Olsen stayed mostly healthy) but his numbers weren't great. In both 2017-2018 he didn't make it 16 games.

I feel like he'd make as much of an impact on the offense in 2020 as Ansah did for the defense in 2019. Not anything special.

I'd rather the team pursue Hooper from Atlanta if they want to spend money in free-agency at the TE position. Lock him up for 3 years or so. Then Olsen can sign in Washington, Buffalo, or maybe make his way back to Chicago if they're interested. If he wants to continue playing, I just hope it's not in Seattle.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Mike from Canada
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Mike from Canada » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:17 pm

Hooper to Seattle would be intriguing.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:59 am

perkinsrooster wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:17 pm Hooper to Seattle would be intriguing.
As a proud owner of Hollister ... no it wouldn’t be.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:17 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:59 am
perkinsrooster wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:17 pm Hooper to Seattle would be intriguing.
Hollister though? He's undrafted, already on his 2nd team and was on the practice squad for a while. I'm sure Dissly will make him irrelevant again, if someone else doesn't. He's a free agent anyway and even if SEA signs him, I don't see him as a very viable fantasy player.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:23 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:17 pm
Forza_Azzurri wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:59 am
Hollister though? He's undrafted, already on his 2nd team and was on the practice squad for a while. I'm sure Dissly will make him irrelevant again, if someone else doesn't. He's a free agent anyway and even if SEA signs him, I don't see him as a very viable fantasy player.
Bauuhhh gawwwwd, that's an awful lot of TRUTH right there. Forza is definitely the first Hollister truther I've seen in a while/ever... :lol:

I truly love me some Big Montana - honestly, I hope he rebounds. Two major injuries in two straight years is never what you want to see, though - and the Achilles is about as nasty as it gets, especially if you're already pretty slow.