Do you find trading up worth it

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Wizard
Role Player
Role Player

Do you find trading up worth it

Postby Wizard » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:22 pm

It seems everyone pretty much is wanting to get in the top of the first round, which makes sense. But have you found trading a decent player plus a lower first round to move up in the first round pays off? I see some people testing the waters to move up like one poster asking if Kirk plus 1.07 to move to the 1.02 is a deal that would work. My question is, do you find that trading up is worth it most of the time since it seems you have to give up quite a bit to move up to get into the "elite" prospects. I know each situation is different but how often does it payoff.
QB -Tom Brady, Nick Foles Deshaun Watson

RB - Kenyan Drake, Darrius Guise, Tevin Coleman, Leonard Fournett, Kareem Hunt, Justin Jackson, Jaylen Samuels, Carlos Hyde, Duke Johnson Jr., Jordan Wilkins, CJ Anderson, Chris Warren,

WR - Davante Adams , T.Y. Hilton, Courtland Sutton, Devin Funchess, Doug Baldwin, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Callaway, J’Mon Moore, Dylan Cantrell, Keith Kirkwood, James Richie

TE - Zach Ertz, Harris Demetrius, Hayden Hurst

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Do you find trading up worth it

Postby DynoScout » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:27 pm

Trading up has worked out for me more often than not...When it has I've either been pretty certain on my target (Barkley), paid a modest amount (jumped up one spot to take Sanders, trade partner took Montgomery and my 3rd round pick), or was up against the roster limit and needed to package up some pieces or lose them (something>nothing)

I'd say the most crucial component is cost, since your focus seems to be moving up to the high first round. Those picks are exclusive and price usually reflects that. That said giving up Kirk+1.07 for 1.02 is something I would do, as I see at least two elite "situation-proof" prospects. It may not work out in my favor, but I'd pay to find out.

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:30 pm

That said trading down has also worked out for me more often than not, so the key is probably good player evaluation and good assessment of how your league values draft picks/prospects. If you can find inefficiencies in either one of those areas with a degree of consistency then trading might just work out and be worth it,,,, whether you're trading up, down, or out.

Factory of Sadness
Starter
Starter

Postby Factory of Sadness » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:48 pm

As DynoScout says, the art is figuring out whether to go up or down in any given year, and in each specific draft. This year will be interesting because whilst the narrative is that there's no reason to go up because the draft is so deep, there's also massive excitement about the top 4-6 slots. I tend to try and move either up or down just after the combine, depending upon what I think will make most sense- and then again after the NFL draft. Last year was kind of dull in that chalk ran solidly from 1.01 down to the mid 2nd. This year might be similar, but if the NFL draft falls right, it could be enjoyable chaos.
If we're looking at simple rules, I'd suggest two:
It is usually worth it to pay up for a guy you are convinced will be a stud.
Dynasty consensus is always wrong, so it makes sense to exploit values by dropping for guys you really like.

Mike from Canada
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Mike from Canada » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:17 pm

I'm really hesitant to trade up this year due to the hype surrounding the top 6.

Needalife
Legend
Legend

Postby Needalife » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:30 pm

I've had hits and misses moving up. This year, I moved up from 1.11 to 1.07 to snag D Henderson and traded a late 2nd and early 3rd to move up to 2.03 to get JJAW. This was a painful one... the other three picks turned into AJ Brown, Devin White and McLaurin.

I seem to do better when I make bigger moves to get into that top 3 range... Calvin, Dez, Julio, CMC to name a few.
14 TM / Devy / SuperFlex / TEP
1 Q / 2 RB / 2 WR / 1 TE / 1 SF / 3 F / 1 DT / 2 DE / 3 LB / 2 CB / 2 S / 1 F

QB: Jordan Love, Trevor Lawrence
RB: Zamir White, Jaylen Warren, Trey Benson, James Conner, Will Shipley
WR: Michael Pittman, Puka Nacua, Drake London, Marquise Brown, Christian Kirk, Josh Palmer
TE: Trey McBride, Jake Ferguson, Noah Gray
PK: Justin Tucker, Jason Myers
DT: Aaron Donald, Grover Stewart, Devonte Wyatt
DE: Alex Highsmith, Jonathan Cooper, Gregory Rousseau, Matt Judon, Baron Browning
LB: Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Ernest Jones, Alex Anzalone, Jack Campbell
CB: L'Jarius Sneed, Deommodore Lenoir, Taron Johnson
S: Derwin James, Rayshawn Jenkins, Talanoa Hufanga, Kareem Jackson
DEVY: RB Nick Singleton PSU
2024 DEVY DEPLETED PICKS: 1.11, 1.13, 2.03, 2.05, 2.13, 3.01, 3.07, 3.10, 3.12, 4.03, 4.11, 4.15, 5.01, 5.02

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:55 pm

Wizard wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:22 pm It seems everyone pretty much is wanting to get in the top of the first round, which makes sense. But have you found trading a decent player plus a lower first round to move up in the first round pays off? I see some people testing the waters to move up like one poster asking if Kirk plus 1.07 to move to the 1.02 is a deal that would work. My question is, do you find that trading up is worth it most of the time since it seems you have to give up quite a bit to move up to get into the "elite" prospects. I know each situation is different but how often does it payoff.
It all depends on the price. I’ve moved up and down and been happy with the results.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:05 pm

I rarely regret trading up because it usually ensures I can draft the player I want - piece of mind is worth more than many think. :)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:34 pm

I successfully traded up for henry and chubb. I think pick 5 and 6 respectively.

Fell in love with them and say they could be had for less than a kings ransom.

Did the same for Corey davis and that was a miss
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

Pew Dogs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Pew Dogs » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:49 pm

I rarely have first round picks. I usually trade trade them for young players who i think are about to explode (Boyd, Gallup, Godwin) or older players people are selling too soon (Hilton, Fournette, D.Freeman). Unless there’s a true stud you think you can snag I’d shop your picks.

(BTW buy Gallup ... buy buy buy)
12 team, dynasty, ppr, 1RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3RB/WR/TEFlex
QB P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB J.Taylor, A.Kamara, E.Elliott, T.Pollard
WR D.Chark, B.Cooks, A.Cooper, A.St.Brown, J.Tolbert, T.Marshall, D.Slayton
TE T.Kelce, H.Henry

(League champ somehow)
QB J.Burrow
RB T.Etienne, I,Pacheco, J.Cook, T.Algeier, J.Wilson
WR C.Lamb, M.Evans, M.Pittman, D.Chark, R.Moore, D.Peoples-Jones
TE T.Hockenson

12 Team Dynasty ppr, 2QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,3Flex,TE Premium

QB J.Burrow, G.Smith
RB D.Cook, J.Mixon, A.Mattison, R.Mostert, S.Perine
WR M.Evans, A.Cooper, C.Kirk, N.Collins
TE E.Engram, G.Everett, C.Okonkwo, C.Otton

QB K.Murray, J.Burrow
RB D.Cook, D.Montgomery, A.Mattison, K.Herbert, T.Algeier
WR A.St.Brown, K.Allen, A.Theilen, B.Cooks, T.Boyd, R.Moore, D.Hopkins
TE T.Kelce, D.Waller, R.Gronkowski, R.Tonyan, C.Otton

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:42 am

The only time I trade up is when I can sneak into the top 6. Historically the top 6 is where the elite players are. So when I have 1.07 or 1.08, I'll give up a little bit to move up a spot and I'll do it sooner than later because the picks increase in value as we approach the draft.

If I own a 1.01, I'll trade down a spot or two if I'm given enough in return. If I have the 1.02-1.04, I'll move down to the 1.06 at worst for the same reason. Usually without question.

I showed numbers and stats about this somewhere. I tried to find it. Maybe I never published it and it's on my hard drive. I'll look around.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:17 am

It all depends on acquisition cost. I typically deal picks for proven players, but bought both 1.3 and 1.4 in 2019 because it was the cheapest I'd seen in our league the past 5 years to do so.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:52 am

This caused me to look through some deals I’ve made. I typically move down or out of the 1st, but here and there I either stand or trade up. Notably last year I moved up, 1.06 and a 3rd for 1.08, 2.08, 2020 2nd to nab Sanders. Trying to think what my board was like and who I would’ve taken at 8, but I’m not real sure. If it was AJ Brown? Probly not worth it. If it was a TE, or Deebo (who I took at 2.01) then I’d say it’s a win.

As for this year, I have 2 and 3 in sig league, 2 and 7 in a SF league, I’ll be holding on those picks almost for sure. I feel like the value is there and if I were in a different position I might be trying to move into those kinds of picks right now.

In more general terms: move up when you really like a prospect. I’d rather swing and miss than let a guy get drafted ahead of me, if it’s a guy I’m very high on. You have to pick your battles though, if you trade up a ton, I’d wager the net result is value loss.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Mike from Canada
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Mike from Canada » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:57 am

A few years ago I had 1.07 and 1.09. I offered them both for 1.05 in hopes of getting Corey Davis. The offer was declined and I ended up with some guys named Kareem Hunt and Alvin Kamara.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:37 pm

Im open to trading up when someone I have ranked higher has fallen a pick or 2. This happened last year with Sanders. I was sitting down in the late 1st, the first picks went Jacobs, Harry, Montgomery. The guy at 1.04 wanted Montgomery and was sniped, so that opened up Sanders for me who was my 1.01.

Same thing the year before in the Barkley class. DJ Moore fell to the 6th or 7th pick and I had to jump all over that.