More 2020 Hype: "If You Need A RB or WR, this is the draft for you."

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: More 2020 Hype: "If You Need A RB or WR, this is the draft for you."

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:51 pm

Lord_Varys wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:26 pm Must be something to this new CBA. Sucks for Etienne owners in devy and for 1.06 folks.
I don't think that has anything to do with it.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:11 pm

cantguardjake wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:30 pm
Kmani6 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:18 pm
cantguardjake wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:54 pm

I’d wager all of them outside of Etienne returned to school because their projected draft grade wasn’t as high as the general consensus here was, so not really sure how you can call them locked late firsts / early seconds.

Etienne is a surprise though, sounds like he really wants his degree and another national championship, there’s no way he was making it out of the second round of the NFL draft.
Oh wait looks like you might’ve mistaken what I said. I meant late 1st early 2nd in fantasy drafts not the real draft...
Nah my response was to fantasy drafts. My point was that, much like Butler and Harmon last year, I don’t think Hubbard, Harris and Hill we’re coming off the board in the NFL draft until day 3, with Smith probably an early third - hardly late first material was my point. But I guess we’ll never know now.
Like I said I took everything from Walter football. Ultimately I’ve followed their RB Pre-draft rankings closely for the past 3 years and their accurate. They had all the RBs as round 2-3 selections, with Smith as a round 1-3 target (and they don’t span 2 rounds very often). My point is that a 3rd round RB could very well be worth a late first or early 2nd fantasy selection. In fact David Montgomery was a top 3 pick last year straight from the 3rd round.

More importantly, for many of us the NFL round selection doesn’t really matter, we care about the talent we see ourselves. Dare I say NFL talent evaluations aren’t the best?! While Hill is included in the post it was because I edited the previous post to include him as a player who would have stayed in college.

Najee Harris, etienne, chubba, and Smith really wouldn’t have been taken past the early 2nd round. Im interested to see if you can name 13 players other then them that you’d take earlier because I can’t.
Dynasty Team 1:

10 Man, Full PPR, .2 PPC, Double Flex

QB: Kyler Murray
RB: Saquon Barkley , Breece Hall, Swift, Dobbins, Gibson, CEH
WR: Devante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Jamarr Chase, DK Metcalf, Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy
TE: Travis Kelce

2023 Picks: 1.4, 1.8, 2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 3.8

Dynasty Team 2:

10 Man, Half PPR, Double Flex

QB: Tua
RB: Barkley , Mixon, Javonte, Jacobs, CEH
WR: AJB, Tyreek, Lamb, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Kittle

2022 Picks: 1.5, 1.6, 2.3
2023 Picks: 2 x 1st, 2 x 2nd

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:21 pm

Kmani6 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:11 pm

Oh wait looks like you might’ve mistaken what I said. I meant late 1st early 2nd in fantasy drafts not the real draft...
Nah my response was to fantasy drafts. My point was that, much like Butler and Harmon last year, I don’t think Hubbard, Harris and Hill we’re coming off the board in the NFL draft until day 3, with Smith probably an early third - hardly late first material was my point. But I guess we’ll never know now.
Like I said I took everything from Walter football. Ultimately I’ve followed their RB Pre-draft rankings closely for the past 3 years and their accurate. They had all the RBs as round 2-3 selections, with Smith as a round 1-3 target (and they don’t span 2 rounds very often). My point is that a 3rd round RB could very well be worth a late first or early 2nd fantasy selection. In fact David Montgomery was a top 3 pick last year straight from the 3rd round.

More importantly, for many of us the NFL round selection doesn’t really matter, we care about the talent we see ourselves. Dare I say NFL talent evaluations aren’t the best?! While Hill is included in the post it was because I edited the previous post to include him as a player who would have stayed in college.

Najee Harris, etienne, chubba, and Smith really wouldn’t have been taken past the early 2nd round. Im interested to see if you can name 13 players other then them that you’d take earlier because I can’t.
It's better than ours. Circumstances such as fit, which are so important are often overlooked. Talent evaluation in any sport is inexact, however we certainly don't have nearly the skillset that any professional evaluator has. Draft pedigree within range certainly doesn't matter. AJB compared to Hollywood, for instance. However taking a 6th round pick over a 2nd round pick usually isn't the best idea.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:23 pm

Wouldn't shock me if the "weak" 2019 class ends up being better than this one.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:26 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:23 pm Wouldn't shock me if the "weak" 2019 class ends up being better than this one.
I don't think Etienne would be the difference, either way.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:04 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:26 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:23 pm Wouldn't shock me if the "weak" 2019 class ends up being better than this one.
I don't think Etienne would be the difference, either way.
2019 class definitely over delivered on expectation. Pleasantly surprised by some of the hits in that class.

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:27 pm

Lumps wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:09 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:02 pm

2 strong late first prospects already gone and then a top tier as well, pushing the rest up.
What are you referring to?
At that time the 2 late firsts he was probably referring to would be Chuba & Najee and the top tier would be Etienne. I'd throw WR Smith & RB Hill in there too. The perceived depth of this draft has most definitely taken a hit especially at RB.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:35 pm

djeternal2 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:27 pm
Lumps wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:09 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:02 pm

2 strong late first prospects already gone and then a top tier as well, pushing the rest up.
What are you referring to?
At that time the 2 late firsts he was probably referring to would be Chuba & Najee and the top tier would be Etienne. I'd throw WR Smith & RB Hill in there too. The perceived depth of this draft has most definitely taken a hit especially at RB.
💯
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:38 pm

Walter football had Mike Weber being drafted round 2-3 and Wes Hills round 3-4 last year, amongst a myriad of other backs in the 4-6 range that went undrafted. I also suspect they update their rankings in line with media chatter because I know for a fact they did not have Jacob and Sanders as the #1 and #2 at this time last year because that’s about when I stopped using them as a reference (Sanders was about their 10th ranked back from memory). So no, I don’t actually think they’re terribly accurate.

The fact that a player like Hubbard returned to school despite leading the nation in rushing in a team that isn’t remotely close to challenging for a national championship speaks more of the draft advice he probably received than Walter footballs second round grade in my opinion. He was a Canadian import after all who haven’t exactly had a huge amount of success in the past, its not unreasonable to say he had some serious flaws in his game.

That line of thinking is why people were still drafting Hakeem Butler and Harmon over players like Terry because they couldn’t “name” Terry over them in January. Draft capital is hugely important.

Half the fun for me in dynasty is watching a mountain of film now and trying to anticipate where a player will be drafted, but once it’s all said and done draft capital, for the most part, trumps my pre draft bias (within tiers that is, for example if I personally like a player taken mid third over someone drafted mid second that’s not going to stop me drafting them, anything outside the third is a different story and I need to be realistic, they went that late for a reason).

15 of the top 20 running backs in half ppr were drafted in the first 3 rounds, as well as 13 of the top 14 wide receivers. You really should care what the NFL scouts think.

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:42 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:21 pm

It's better than ours. Circumstances such as fit, which are so important are often overlooked. Talent evaluation in any sport is inexact, however we certainly don't have nearly the skillset that any professional evaluator has. Draft pedigree within range certainly doesn't matter. AJB compared to Hollywood, for instance. However taking a 6th round pick over a 2nd round pick usually isn't the best idea.
Nowhere did I imply a 6th round pick over a 2nd round pick was a good idea. I actually said what you did exactly. Many of the round projections were 2-3 for the players I listed. Many of us don’t care if a RB is selected in the 1st vs the 2nd or the 2nd vs the 3rd. In fact most fantasy people had guys like Chubb, kerryon, and guice all over guys like penny or Michel... That’s good enough to leave up to our own individual rankings, which are 99 percent not “our own”, but compilations of many other analysts we see online. The analysts we look at like PFF, or mark Walsman or whoever else are just as good as any NFL scout. That’s why the NFL scouts miss on half the WR/RB position everY year, and is why some teams have good drafts and some have bad ones lol. That’s pretty obvious. To think all the NFL scouts are making the best decisions is just outright wrong, and can be seen yearly. My favorite picks from this past year were jj Arcega Whiteside and Andy Isabella over
DK, Mclaurin, Montgomery, and Singletary. The Rookie draft ADP calculator had DK Montgomery and singletary as all firsts, but Whiteside and Isabella as late 2nds to early 3rds. We don’t care about draft spot...
Dynasty Team 1:

WR: Devante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Jamarr Chase, DK Metcalf, Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy

Dynasty Team 2:

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:48 pm

Kmani6 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:42 pm

Nowhere did I imply a 6th round pick over a 2nd round pick was a good idea. I actually said what you did exactly. Many of the round projections were 2-3 for the players I listed. Many of us don’t care if a RB is selected in the 1st vs the 2nd or the 2nd vs the 3rd. In fact most fantasy people had guys like Chubb, kerryon, and guice all over guys like penny or Michel... That’s good enough to leave up to our own individual rankings, which are 99 percent not “our own”, but compilations of many other analysts we see online. The analysts we look at like PFF, or mark Walsman or whoever else are just as good as any NFL scout. That’s why the NFL scouts miss on half the WR/RB position everY year, and is why some teams have good drafts and some have bad ones lol. That’s pretty obvious. To think all the NFL scouts are making the best decisions is just outright wrong, and can be seen yearly. My favorite picks from this past year were jj Arcega Whiteside and Andy Isabella over
DK, Mclaurin, Montgomery, and Singletary. The Rookie draft ADP calculator had DK Montgomery and singletary as all firsts, but Whiteside and Isabella as late 2nds to early 3rds. We don’t care about draft spot...
Right. Within reason.

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:03 pm

cantguardjake wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:38 pm

Walter football had Mike Weber being drafted round 2-3 and Wes Hills round 3-4 last year, amongst a myriad of other backs in the 4-6 range that went undrafted. I also suspect they update their rankings in line with media chatter because I know for a fact they did not have Jacob and Sanders as the #1 and #2 at this time last year because that’s about when I stopped using them as a reference (Sanders was about their 10th ranked back from memory). So no, I don’t actually think they’re terribly accurate.

The fact that a player like Hubbard returned to school despite leading the nation in rushing in a team that isn’t remotely close to challenging for a national championship speaks more of the draft advice he probably received than Walter footballs second round grade in my opinion. He was a Canadian import after all who haven’t exactly had a huge amount of success in the past, its not unreasonable to say he had some serious flaws in his game.

That line of thinking is why people were still drafting Hakeem Butler and Harmon over players like Terry because they couldn’t “name” Terry over them in January. Draft capital is hugely important.

Half the fun for me in dynasty is watching a mountain of film now and trying to anticipate where a player will be drafted, but once it’s all said and done draft capital, for the most part, trumps my pre draft bias (within tiers that is, for example if I personally like a player taken mid third over someone drafted mid second that’s not going to stop me drafting them, anything outside the third is a different story and I need to be realistic, they went that late for a reason).

15 of the top 20 running backs in half ppr were drafted in the first 3 rounds, as well as 13 of the top 14 wide receivers. You really should care what the NFL scouts think.

You’re making a lot of random assumptions and not answering the question 🤡🤡🤡🤡.

I said Harris, Chubba, Devonta Smith, and Etienne would all be at the latest early second round fantasy draft picks. Instead of telling me a list of players you think are better or why they would not be you’re bringing up a lot of irrelevant things.

For example, guys like mike Weber and Wes hills who rushed for 900 yards and 700 yards respectively- who cares? No one is talking about them and no site is ALWAYS perfect.

Now on the other hand here are these players statistics.

Etienne: 2040 yards 24 TDs
Chubba: 2300 yards 20 TDs
Harris: 1530 20 TDs (SEC grind)
Smith: 1256 and 14 TDs

You are mistaking these guys potentially slipping to the 3rd rounds of the NFL drafts, as a measure of some sort of poor ability, but in reality the only reason they may fall is because the class is so loaded at WR (potentially 6 1st round WR selections).

In reality we have no idea if these players were even told that they were going to fall, or they simply just want to finish their education or whatever else it may be. My guess is that they all were EXTREMELY productive in college and they FELT that they may not be drafted as high as they deserved based on the tough class. Therefore they are willing to bet on themselves and join a much less talented 21 class, specifically for RBs, to potentially each have a shot at being the 1st RB off the board, and all that guaranteed $$$.
Dynasty Team 1:

Dynasty Team 2:

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:04 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:48 pm

Right. Within reason.
Agreed, and hopefully obviously implied. Don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone ever put a 6th round rookie in their 1st round fantasy rookie draft...
Dynasty Team 1:

Dynasty Team 2:

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:06 pm

Kmani6 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:04 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:48 pm

Right. Within reason.
Agreed, and hopefully obviously implied. Don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone ever put a 6th round rookie in their 1st round fantasy rookie draft...
I saw ESB go 1.14 in a 14 team league in 2018 - but it was a league that drafted right after the NFL Draft had concluded, and that was more of an exception than the norm.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:15 pm

That’s pretty bleep hilarious. On draft night he was probably pretty pissed. Let me just say comparing 1st and 2nd rounders, and 2nd and 3rd rounders is what I meant, and is what usually happens.
Dynasty Team 1:

Dynasty Team 2: