Patrick Mahomes: The Best QB in the NFL & for Dynasty

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: Mahomes is the best QB in the NFL and for Dynasty

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:59 pm

He's going to be the highest paid player in the league, and it won't be by just $1-2 million.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:25 pm

Machines should hang out less with his State Farm.buddy Aarom and more with Tom I Can't Lift My Right Hand Cuz It's Covered In Rings Brady.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:27 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:25 pm Machines should hang out less with his State Farm.buddy Aarom and more with Tom I Can't Lift My Right Hand Cuz It's Covered In Rings Brady.
I will never get the anti-labour sentiment of this forum.

These men are underpaid for the value they bring to their teams, and the sport.

Hoping that they'll take a team friendly deal just because we all want to play armchair GM and tell 'em how it's done from the sidelines is about as fruitful as hoping AI robots won't kill us all in 25 more years. It is what it is, deal with it. :D

trc
Captain
Captain

Postby trc » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:01 am

mild wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:27 am
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:25 pm Machines should hang out less with his State Farm.buddy Aarom and more with Tom I Can't Lift My Right Hand Cuz It's Covered In Rings Brady.

Hoping that they'll take a team friendly deal just because we all want to play armchair GM and tell 'em how it's done from the sidelines is about as fruitful as hoping AI robots won't kill us all in 25 more years. It is what it is, deal with it. :D
Tom understands there is 2 kind of legacies. The one (money) you leave to your kids and family, and the footprint you have set in the world. The first is easy accomplished, “just” by being a starting QB in modern day NFL. The latter is even more difficult, at least when looking strictly at doing so in the NFL -> Rings matters the most. If you want to be considered one of the greatest to ever have played the game, you need to win a lot of them. Having a team friendly salary sure makes it easier winning those rings.

But if Pat doesn’t care or acknowledge this, it will be difficult.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:56 am

As for the anti labour bit, that's a total red herring of a statement by you. No one has said a single anti labour thing whatsoever.

What the players need to do is get better representatives during the next CBA negotiations and back them up. Also top tier talent need to pull more Cousins and push for fully guaranteed Ks and other benefits/modifiers. Maybe Mahomnes will elect to take that route , something which Rodgers and Wilson avoided...

The two best QBs of the last 15 years, have 2 rings between them. And Rodgers best bet to add a 2nd is when he's playing average ball and has a great team around him.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:22 am

trc wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:01 am
mild wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:27 am

Tom understands there is 2 kind of legacies. The one (money) you leave to your kids and family, and the footprint you have set in the world. The first is easy accomplished, “just” by being a starting QB in modern day NFL. The latter is even more difficult, at least when looking strictly at doing so in the NFL -> Rings matters the most. If you want to be considered one of the greatest to ever have played the game, you need to win a lot of them. Having a team friendly salary sure makes it easier winning those rings.

But if Pat doesn’t care or acknowledge this, it will be difficult.
Tom is also in his 40's, on his like 5th or 6th contract, and married to a super model who makes even more than him. He wasn't taking discounts on his early contracts, and sounds like he's not planning on taking one on his upcoming deal. This is Mahomes' first contract that he and his agent have any say over, and he should get as much money as he can. It is also bad for all the players in the league if the best player in the league takes a lesser contract, because teams will use that as leverage and say "Well Patrick Mahomes is doing it, so if he does you should too" and keep contract prices down.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:45 am

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:59 pm He's going to be the highest paid player in the league, and it won't be by just $1-2 million.
x2 There's plenty to discuss this offseason, but I'm not sure why there's any debate on size of Mahomes's future contract...he is going to get a record 5-6 year deal worth $40M+ per year.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

problemsolver
Starter
Starter

Postby problemsolver » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:35 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:03 am Just remember that Mahones, UNLIKE just about every other NFL player comes from a family of means, his dad was a MLB player for many years. He doesn't necessarily need the money
Just a nitpick but Pat Mahomes Sr earned around 2.6 million in his 10 year MLB career. While Pat Jr probably wasn't worried about his next meal, Pat Sr's career earnings weren't enough for Pat Jr to just leave millions on the table.

One of my kids Little League coaches was an ex MLB pitcher who was in the majors for 4 or 5 seasons and earned little bit north of a million dollars in his career. He told me once that when he was done with baseball he had just enough left over to pay off his mortgage and his car. At the time he was coaching my kids he was working as a Directv install tech.

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:38 am

The Chiefs should really just sit down with Mahomes as soon as they are allowed to. Ask him what he thinks is fair. And just give it to him. Negotiating here is a losing bet for them as more QBs (Watson) will sign deals and only send his asking price up higher, and even though it'll make building a team harder, he is worth basically whatever you would give him

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:35 pm

Under paid my arse, that's a joke right

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:09 pm

AussieMate wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:35 pm Under paid my arse, that's a joke right
Relative to what his value and talents in his industry are worth, yes he's vastly underpaid currently.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:49 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:09 pm
AussieMate wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:35 pm Under paid my arse, that's a joke right
Relative to what his value and talents in his industry are worth, yes he's vastly underpaid currently.
I never mentioned Patty, my post was in reference to mild saying these men are underpaid.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:06 am

bjd5211 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:22 am Tom is also in his 40's, on his like 5th or 6th contract, and married to a super model who makes even more than him. He wasn't taking discounts on his early contracts, and sounds like he's not planning on taking one on his upcoming deal. This is Mahomes' first contract that he and his agent have any say over, and he should get as much money as he can. It is also bad for all the players in the league if the best player in the league takes a lesser contract, because teams will use that as leverage and say "Well Patrick Mahomes is doing it, so if he does you should too" and keep contract prices down.
Thankyou bjd, you get it. This contract needs to set a precedent just as much for the league, as it does for Mahomes. He is the best player to build around in the sport, and he is the best *at* the sport. He deserves it. Ironically - just like every mega-block-buster deal that has come before - this contract will be looked at as "normal" in 2 years time when the Kyler Murray extension is coming around.

It's just a floating number. The hand-wringing is pointless. Pay the man.
AussieMate wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:49 pm
I never mentioned Patty, my post was in reference to mild saying these men are underpaid.
Haaaahahaha. This man does not get it. Now, I know the toilets flush backwards and you all love a comically sized can of Fosters down there in the upside-down dungeree-doo... but lets play a quick game of "free market economy" - just for fun.

Step 1: Remove the salary cap.

That's it. That's all you'd have to do, and you'd have an immediate concrete answer as to why it is correct to say that the Superstars of the biggest sports are underpaid.

What is LeBron James' given value to any franchise he is on? Is it purely his superhuman ability to carry a team to the finals every year? Or is it the fact that - even in an eventually diminished state - he will still drive ratings, ticket sales, and merchandising at a rate far exceeding 97% of all other players in the NBA? If he literally drives your business - then what is that worth, as a business proposition, and as a number?

OK, we're still in Free Market mode. Back to the NFL. The Chargers currently have a problem: nobody cares. They can't sell seats, and they desperately need some sort of draw (in a city FLUSH with draws) to get their business operations back on track. Heck, they're even considering London (even if they say they're not :lol: ). If Mahomes was on offer to the highest bidder, no strings - then how far do you think they'd go, to secure their future - both on the field, and off?

If the players were able to be paid what they are *actually* worth, it would vastly exceed these contracts under the Cap era. Never forget that the owners are always winning - that is the design of the league. Who do you want to root for - the guys actually putting their lives on the line to entertain you on the field? Or the skinbag stooges leering from the top rails?

Pay. The. Man.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:54 am

I think in simpler terms... What's the % of owners worth and revenue (aka the football business model) and the total salary cap of a team. It's laughable.

Now maybe your salary is laughable compared to NFL players, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't get what the market is willing to pay.

The salary cap is like having a maximum wage for your employees

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:49 am

mild wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:06 am
bjd5211 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:22 am Tom is also in his 40's, on his like 5th or 6th contract, and married to a super model who makes even more than him. He wasn't taking discounts on his early contracts, and sounds like he's not planning on taking one on his upcoming deal. This is Mahomes' first contract that he and his agent have any say over, and he should get as much money as he can. It is also bad for all the players in the league if the best player in the league takes a lesser contract, because teams will use that as leverage and say "Well Patrick Mahomes is doing it, so if he does you should too" and keep contract prices down.
Thankyou bjd, you get it. This contract needs to set a precedent just as much for the league, as it does for Mahomes. He is the best player to build around in the sport, and he is the best *at* the sport. He deserves it. Ironically - just like every mega-block-buster deal that has come before - this contract will be looked at as "normal" in 2 years time when the Kyler Murray extension is coming around.

It's just a floating number. The hand-wringing is pointless. Pay the man.
AussieMate wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:49 pm

Haaaahahaha. This man does not get it. Now, I know the toilets flush backwards and you all love a comically sized can of Fosters down there in the upside-down dungeree-doo... but lets play a quick game of "free market economy" - just for fun.

Step 1: Remove the salary cap.

That's it. That's all you'd have to do, and you'd have an immediate concrete answer as to why it is correct to say that the Superstars of the biggest sports are underpaid.

What is LeBron James' given value to any franchise he is on? Is it purely his superhuman ability to carry a team to the finals every year? Or is it the fact that - even in an eventually diminished state - he will still drive ratings, ticket sales, and merchandising at a rate far exceeding 97% of all other players in the NBA? If he literally drives your business - then what is that worth, as a business proposition, and as a number?

OK, we're still in Free Market mode. Back to the NFL. The Chargers currently have a problem: nobody cares. They can't sell seats, and they desperately need some sort of draw (in a city FLUSH with draws) to get their business operations back on track. Heck, they're even considering London (even if they say they're not :lol: ). If Mahomes was on offer to the highest bidder, no strings - then how far do you think they'd go, to secure their future - both on the field, and off?

If the players were able to be paid what they are *actually* worth, it would vastly exceed these contracts under the Cap era. Never forget that the owners are always winning - that is the design of the league. Who do you want to root for - the guys actually putting their lives on the line to entertain you on the field? Or the skinbag stooges leering from the top rails?

Pay. The. Man.
I agree with you. I will, however, add a couple defenses to the build of the league, as your post has a “cap is bogus and is just a nuisance era we have to wait out” ring to it.

Well, first, I’ll defend the “skin bags” leering down. The skin bags are often guys that worked their tails off to obtain the financial status they now have. And even if they didn’t work their tails off, they are still the ones using (or did use in the past) their finances to really financially back this enormous industry. They built up the business (or inherited/bought into ownership of the business). Like any business, the people who set the gears and provide the financial backing to house them are the ones getting the biggest bucks. The guys turning those gears (players, or laborers in most industries)? Not as much, but in an industry so rich as the NFL, even the “laborers” get paid well. They aren’t “overpaid” but the owners aren’t any more non-human than most any other big business owners.

Ok...so defending the cap...
Yeah, the cap is there to protect/advance the owners’ pockets. It’s also there to help the league remain as great as it is. A league where anyone and everyone has a shot to build a contender (except the Browns?). Take away the cap, and KC may not be so fun. Cowboys sure would be a powerhouse though. The league would be as unbalanced as the NBA, with your 6-8 contenders and your 20 or so cute teams to farm from. There would possibly be some contracted teams, as, coupled with a far higher overhead (player salaries), some owners wouldn’t be able to field a competitive enough team to draw the fans. Higher overhead and lower gross income isn’t as fun to own.

In short, the cap helps keep the league a league of some parity. A league of interest. Remove it and you have the horribly predictable NBA with loser franchises like the Wolves...and the Cowboys would be the Lakers. Oh yippee.

I agree with the rest of your post though.