Thoughts on converting rookie picks to dollars for a rookie auction draft?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Slackalacker
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Thoughts on converting rookie picks to dollars for a rookie auction draft?

Postby Slackalacker » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:49 am

One of the rules being voted on in my league is suggesting we convert rookie draft picks to money and that we do an auction rookie draft.

What are your guys opinions on this method of rookie drafting? I personally am against it as I hold the 1.1 1.2 and 2.1 and I don’t want people with a mass of lower picks adding up in value to beat some of mine.

For those who do it this way what is the value chart you use to determine how much money a draft pick is converted to?

I’d love to hear some pros/cons of this arrangement.
TEAM 1 - 10 team SF 1PPR | 2017 & 2019 League Champ
1QB/1SF/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX
QB: Dak - Hurts - DangeRuss - Tua - Z Wilson - Mills
RB: Barkley - Zeke - Sanders - Pollard - Patterson - D’Ernest - Jermar - Evans - Jones
WR: Hill - JJeff - Higgins - Hollywood - MThom(IR) - Godwin(IR) - E Moore - Marshall Jr - Calloway - Palmer - D Brown
TE: Hock - Moreau

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Thoughts on converting rookie picks to dollars for a rookie auction draft?

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:00 am

You can't do that at this point. It shouldn't even be an option. You can vote on it for next year, but since the picks are already allocated, and people have used them in trades over the year, no. Absolutely not. Has any 2021 pick been traded away yet?

I personally don't understand the concept of a rookie auction draft at all. Makes no sense to me. Startups I get, but not rookie picks. If I had someone trying to change that when i held the first 2 picks, I'd leave the league if they changed it, and demand a refund. It is absolutely not OK to make changes like this at this point. You should only be doing it for a future year in which nothing has been established with the picks yet, period. The commish should know this.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:04 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:00 am You can't do that at this point. It shouldn't even be an option. You can vote on it for next year, but since the picks are already allocated, and people have used them in trades over the year, no. Absolutely not. Has any 2021 pick been traded away yet?

I personally don't understand the concept of a rookie auction draft at all. Makes no sense to me.
Agree, unless everyone has their original picks, this change shouldn't occur this year.

Slackalacker
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Slackalacker » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:23 am

Yeah I’m not saying I’m okay with it but that I want to hear the pros/cons of it. Of course I’m not going to vote yes.

The way things work for us is we vote at the end of the year for new rule changes, anyone can submit an idea and if it gets “seconded” then it is taken to vote. It needs 8/10 votes to pass. If it greatly affects the upcoming season then it isn’t implemented until the following year (in this case 2021).
RB: Barkley - Zeke - Sanders - Pollard - Patterson - D’Ernest - Jermar - Evans - Jones
WR: Hill - JJeff - Higgins - Hollywood - MThom(IR) - Godwin(IR) - E Moore - Marshall Jr - Calloway - Palmer - D Brown

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:38 am

Slackalacker wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:23 am Yeah I’m not saying I’m okay with it but that I want to hear the pros/cons of it. Of course I’m not going to vote yes.

The way things work for us is we vote at the end of the year for new rule changes, anyone can submit an idea and if it gets “seconded” then it is taken to vote. It needs 8/10 votes to pass. If it greatly affects the upcoming season then it isn’t implemented until the following year (in this case 2021).
This definitely qualifies. Thanks for clarifying.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:21 pm

I don't like it. The point of a rookie draft is so that the worst teams are guaranteed a shot at the better players before the other teams.

By making it auction dollars, you are allowing the team to pick 2nd to go "all in" on the best player in the draft, forcing the team with the most dollars to do the same, and if they do they will be unable to grab anyone else. Trading for picks is now a cash grab. I could win the league and all my future 2nd round picks add up to the most money in the league? Talk about an advantage.

I don't like the sound of this. Does anyone reading this do auction rookie drafts? I'd like to look at it.

I like it for startups because all teams are on the same level playing field. I hate it for rookie drafts.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:29 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:21 pm I don't like it. The point of a rookie draft is so that the worst teams are guaranteed a shot at the better players before the other teams.

By making it auction dollars, you are allowing the team to pick 2nd to go "all in" on the best player in the draft, forcing the team with the most dollars to do the same, and if they do they will be unable to grab anyone else. Trading for picks is now a cash grab. I could win the league and all my future 2nd round picks add up to the most money in the league? Talk about an advantage.

I don't like the sound of this. Does anyone reading this do auction rookie drafts? I'd like to look at it.

I like it for startups because all teams are on the same level playing field. I hate it for rookie drafts.
This is a fantastic point.

Plus, each rookie draft is not equal. The 1.01 the year Barkley or Zeke came out, compared to some other years, are drastically different. If you had the ability to go all in, with the 1.02, and a few other picks acquired via trade, for instance, to usurp the 1.01, the results would not be good for the balance of the league. I just think it's a bad idea on many levels, but Mike has really hit the nail on the head on one of the main reasons.

Slackalacker
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Slackalacker » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:59 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:38 am
Slackalacker wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:23 am Yeah I’m not saying I’m okay with it but that I want to hear the pros/cons of it. Of course I’m not going to vote yes.

This definitely qualifies. Thanks for clarifying.
Haha yeah I should have mentioned that earlier but I typed this up quick and forgot to.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:52 pm

I can see this working. You would obviously have to exponentially increase dollar amounts per pick. To the point where a pile of 2nds can’t outbid a guy with 1.01 and 1.02.

But, I would argue that 2nds kinda go under the radar too, and having a bunch of them isn’t trivial. For instance I prefer a haul of Deebo, Hollywood, AJB, over having Jacobs this year. This plays into the argument that all drafts aren’t equal, in 2018 you just want Barkley, obviously. But, that’s kinda moot in the end. All drafts aren’t equal, so all 1.01’s aren’t equal. How does going to auction have any bearing there? It’s a thing either way.

All that said I wouldn’t vote for this. Main reason other that what’s been said is, jockeying around for draft position is fun. Buying and selling picks at the right time is fun (I feel like having dollar amounts would flatten this a little, could be wrong here though)
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

trc
Captain
Captain

Postby trc » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:43 pm

The main pain with the concept is making a satisfying distribution of auction money and setting the rules for trading with them. For reasons already stated above, but also to make sure that the 1.01 auction money can’t usurp another 1st round pick with leftover money.

What I really really like is the flexibility, you are not forced to grab a specific player, just because he is the consensus BPA.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:40 am

It's possible to do this and address the concerns raised by adding and even subtracting from a team's draft pot with performance "bonuses". Assuming each team starts with the same pot, some examples-
-lowest scoring team
-worst record
-worst PP (factors in bench and the truly awful teams)
-worst all-play record
-divisional standings (subtract for being towards the top, add for being towards the bottom)
-divisional record (for those leagues emphasizing divisional play)
-missed/made playoffs
-won division (to keep the good teams from stockpiling and threatening the bad teams)
-made champ game
-won champ game

You don't need to do all of these, but a combo would compensate the bad teams while keeping the good teams from stockpiling.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

kuphal_99
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby kuphal_99 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:24 am

For those of you starting new leagues I would urge you to consider the format that we use. Initial draft was an auction. Add/drops are suspended after week 17 until our draft is complete. When it comes to rookies and free agents we do 2 rounds of drafting and then all other players are auctioned. Here is where the points for auctioning get interesting. You accumulate points based off of the guys that you cut prior to the draft.. For example if you cut Ryan Tannehill and he scored 278 points in 2019 you get 278 points towards the auction. There is no roster cut down limit so some teams will cut 10 guys and others only 2. In addition points can be traded during the season. The auction portion always yields some really useful prospects. Everyone in our league really enjoys this format.
12 Team, 21 man roster, Non PPR
QB-Dak, Wentz
RB-Zeke, Chubb, J Taylor, D Henderson, C Patterson, Pollard, J Wilson, Ty’son Williams
WR-Adams, Hill, Diggs, Boyd, A Brown, A Robinson, AJ Green
TE-Kittle, Goedert,
K-Butker

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:58 am

kuphal_99 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:24 am For those of you starting new leagues I would urge you to consider the format that we use. Initial draft was an auction. Add/drops are suspended after week 17 until our draft is complete. When it comes to rookies and free agents we do 2 rounds of drafting and then all other players are auctioned. Here is where the points for auctioning get interesting. You accumulate points based off of the guys that you cut prior to the draft.. For example if you cut Ryan Tannehill and he scored 278 points in 2019 you get 278 points towards the auction. There is no roster cut down limit so some teams will cut 10 guys and others only 2. In addition points can be traded during the season. The auction portion always yields some really useful prospects. Everyone in our league really enjoys this format.
This seems like a really easy system to subvert, unless it’s a superflex league. I’d just scoop up every fringe QB at the end of the season with the intent to drop them for the most points.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

purplepride28
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby purplepride28 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:05 pm

If a new rule is voted in our league by a 13-3 vote they don’t implement that rule until 2 seasons after the rule was voted in.

In a salary cap league we build our roster off 200 mythical dollars and rookie draft picks in our league are 1st round 15$ 2nd-10$ 3rd-8$ 4th7$ 5th-6$ down time 1$
If that helps any?

kuphal_99
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby kuphal_99 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:58 pm

M-Dub wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:58 am
kuphal_99 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:24 am For those of you starting new leagues I would urge you to consider the format that we use. Initial draft was an auction. Add/drops are suspended after week 17 until our draft is complete. When it comes to rookies and free agents we do 2 rounds of drafting and then all other players are auctioned. Here is where the points for auctioning get interesting. You accumulate points based off of the guys that you cut prior to the draft.. For example if you cut Ryan Tannehill and he scored 278 points in 2019 you get 278 points towards the auction. There is no roster cut down limit so some teams will cut 10 guys and others only 2. In addition points can be traded during the season. The auction portion always yields some really useful prospects. Everyone in our league really enjoys this format.
This seems like a really easy system to subvert, unless it’s a superflex league. I’d just scoop up every fringe QB at the end of the season with the intent to drop them for the most points.

Not really, there are rarely starting QBs on the WW. With having 270+ players being rostered there isn’t a lot to choose from.
12 Team, 21 man roster, Non PPR
QB-Dak, Wentz
RB-Zeke, Chubb, J Taylor, D Henderson, C Patterson, Pollard, J Wilson, Ty’son Williams
WR-Adams, Hill, Diggs, Boyd, A Brown, A Robinson, AJ Green
TE-Kittle, Goedert,
K-Butker