The Todd Gurley Thread - Currently FA

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: New Gurley Usage

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:45 pm

MrUbuto wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:14 pm
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:58 am Late season touches are the worst. Rams are gonna use and abuse ol' Gurleys bum knees next few weeks and possibly not even gonna make the playoffs. Which would be a good thing for all his delusional owners, cuz every carry is one step closer to the scrapheap.

I called this back in the off-season, when the Rams were sending out all kinds of mixed signals and smoke and mirrors.

I feel bad for Gurley, btw. Though he did get Lucky in signing that contract when he did.
Lol. Hey you're back! I remember you from the off season haha :lol:

None of us are bleep doctors.. well possibly some of us. But none of us are Gurley's doctors.

All we can do is go off what Gurley himself and his doctors have said yes he has arthritis but it's not like your grandad arthritis this is very different and is mostly a pain tolerance thing. There is no likelyhood he has a gore type career. But 2 3 maybe 4 more years after this season of good solid production is extremely likely.

All you "I CALLED IT GURLEY IS DONE. ALL HAIL KING HENDERSON" were just so obsessed with being first and having a hot take.

It's just not anything more than wild speculation.

Yea they trimmed his Carries in the early part of the season, they thought they were a superbowl contender that's a smart move clearly it's back fired a bit they may miss the playoffs.

Gurley is fine. The only people reporting he isnt are just us fantasy geeks and basement dwelling bloggers or hot take losers like skip bayless
You're kind of playing both sides of the fence on this. I mean, you say no one is a doctor, and the guys that are saying he isn't right are fantasy geeks, etc. Then you give a diagnosis of it being extremely likely he has solid production for another 2-4 years. It's the same thing guys are doing on the other side of the argument. Personally, I had Gurley most of the year, traded him recently. I don't think he's the same player, and although he is having solid production, I have my doubts that he can simply continue this years production moving forward. His carries and touches were cut because they know he can't handle the same workload anymore, and the more carries he's forced to have now will only exacerbate the problem with his knee. None of us know when he will bottom out, but to me, it stands to reason that the more he continues to use it, the more it will get inflamed etc. I can see the next season going much like this year, but even less touches, as other RB's get more involved.

Next season, if the Rams do get better with OL etc., as some suggest, then other RB's will also benefit from this, and their team may have a better record, so the need to use Gurley becomes less. So it may prolong his career, but minimize his FF impact. As some pointed out, they are using Gurley heavily out of necessity, I don't think ideally they'd be doing this. If they were 10-3, He would probably be getting less carries, not more at this point. While it certainly helps for the Fantasy Playoffs, I can't imagine it helps Gurley's long term future.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:51 pm

That was sort of my point but I didnt put it very eloquently. I was intentionally playing both sides.

All we know is that he seemed to get burned out at the end of last year and this year they didnt lean on him as much to avoid burn out.

Gurley owners should be thrilled by the fact they are saving his legs for our fantasy playoffs. Haha mcVay! Finally a coach who appreciates us fantasy geeks!!! Hurrah!!
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:01 pm

MrUbuto wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:51 pm That was sort of my point but I didnt put it very eloquently. I was intentionally playing both sides.

All we know is that he seemed to get burned out at the end of last year and this year they didnt lean on him as much to avoid burn out.

Gurley owners should be thrilled by the fact they are saving his legs for our fantasy playoffs. Haha mcVay! Finally a coach who appreciates us fantasy geeks!!! Hurrah!!
Fair enough. :thumbup:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:57 pm

MrUbuto wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:51 pm That was sort of my point but I didnt put it very eloquently. I was intentionally playing both sides.

Best post evah! :lol: :D :thumbup:
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:54 am

Kmani6 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:41 pm
Vcize wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:49 pm The guy basically went from the number 1 overall fantasy asset to middling less effective workload managed RB2 overnight at exactly the time he aggravated the knee injury last year.

I mean I guess it's possible that it's just purely coincidence that right after the injury the Rams offensive line just happened to get a lot worse that same night and McVay just suddenly had an epiphany that he should manage Gurley's workload that same night and decided they should use him as a receiver much less that same night despite him being the same guy all along, but that seems like quite a stretch to me.
This tells me you watch zero games. How about we look at PFF graded Rams Oline 31st through 9 games this year (can’t find data for any later games, but I’m sure you know more than them).

Let’s also consider that the rams had o-line changes in the offseason, and then consider Goff’s QB play, which has fallen from 32 TDs and 12 picks to 15 TDs and 14 picks within that same year. Did Goff get significantly injured in the offseason too?
But Gurley didn't fall off this year. He fell off last year. When he tweaked the knee. With last year's O-line, the one that had him as the #1 dynasty asset prior to the knee flaring up and the one that made CJ Anderson look like Walter Payton while Gurley was slogging alone.

The line likewise had nothing to do with Gurley surrendering touches in many games this year. That was clearly because of the knee, and likely would have continued were the Rams not forced into desperation mode.

I watch most of the games. The most notable thing about this last game was that sweet stiff arm he had on the TD run. It wasn't notable because it was a great individual effort. It was notable because it was the first great individual effort he's put together all season.

You look at a guy like Mixon who is similarly stuck behind an awful line and he regularly has these plays where he somehow gets a beautiful looking 3 yards on a play that was blocked for negative two. Gurley isn't doing that and it's because he's not as good as other RBs while playing on the bad knee. He's never been a big cutter but he's always been hard to bring down, and this year he goes down like a feather.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:48 am

Vcize wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:54 am
Kmani6 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:41 pm
Vcize wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:49 pm The guy basically went from the number 1 overall fantasy asset to middling less effective workload managed RB2 overnight at exactly the time he aggravated the knee injury last year.

I mean I guess it's possible that it's just purely coincidence that right after the injury the Rams offensive line just happened to get a lot worse that same night and McVay just suddenly had an epiphany that he should manage Gurley's workload that same night and decided they should use him as a receiver much less that same night despite him being the same guy all along, but that seems like quite a stretch to me.
This tells me you watch zero games. How about we look at PFF graded Rams Oline 31st through 9 games this year (can’t find data for any later games, but I’m sure you know more than them).

Let’s also consider that the rams had o-line changes in the offseason, and then consider Goff’s QB play, which has fallen from 32 TDs and 12 picks to 15 TDs and 14 picks within that same year. Did Goff get significantly injured in the offseason too?
But Gurley didn't fall off this year. He fell off last year. When he tweaked the knee. With last year's O-line, the one that had him as the #1 dynasty asset prior to the knee flaring up and the one that made CJ Anderson look like Walter Payton while Gurley was slogging alone.

The line likewise had nothing to do with Gurley surrendering touches in many games this year. That was clearly because of the knee, and likely would have continued were the Rams not forced into desperation mode.

I watch most of the games. The most notable thing about this last game was that sweet stiff arm he had on the TD run. It wasn't notable because it was a great individual effort. It was notable because it was the first great individual effort he's put together all season.

You look at a guy like Mixon who is similarly stuck behind an awful line and he regularly has these plays where he somehow gets a beautiful looking 3 yards on a play that was blocked for negative two. Gurley isn't doing that and it's because he's not as good as other RBs while playing on the bad knee. He's never been a big cutter but he's always been hard to bring down, and this year he goes down like a feather.
You did not explain the O-line play nor goff’s production. The point is with their normal line (by the way they lost 4 starters this year...) his touches would make him even more productive. His 17 touches per game is not the problem that is competitive with all other great rbs so there is no real point there, and generally people seem to over exaggerate that. You can be very productive on 17 touches per game with a high powered offense, which it seems they are only developing this year. By the end of the season that avg touch per game will probably be up too..

Gurley was never a Mixon like player who looked flashy, or make several cuts. I love Mixon and he looked awful the first half of the season. The line has improved amazingly in the second half and he’s looked way better. The line opens up gaps, gives these RB’s space to work, and Makes them look like much better players.

Mixon is actually a great example for proving my point. Mixons rookie year was terrible in FF production, but he was still a great player behind an awful line. Last year, he blew up, but this was hugely due to his line play improving vastly. Beginning of this year they lose their 1st round Oline pick + some old starters and Mixon’s first half production is absolutely awful. The line is now more acclimated and they are playing way better. The rams oline is 30th+, with the exception of the last 3 games...

Also it was 100 percent not his best individual effort if anything it was means for him not to get hit. He’s had way better effort plays like him getting into the end zone and dragging the whole pile a few weeks back.
Dynasty Team 1:

10 Man, Full PPR, .2 PPC, Double Flex

QB: Kyler Murray
RB: Saquon Barkley , Breece Hall, Swift, Dobbins, Gibson, CEH
WR: Devante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Jamarr Chase, DK Metcalf, Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy
TE: Travis Kelce

2023 Picks: 1.4, 1.8, 2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 3.8

Dynasty Team 2:

10 Man, Half PPR, Double Flex

QB: Tua
RB: Barkley , Mixon, Javonte, Jacobs, CEH
WR: AJB, Tyreek, Lamb, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Kittle

2022 Picks: 1.5, 1.6, 2.3
2023 Picks: 2 x 1st, 2 x 2nd

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:50 am

MrUbuto wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:51 pm Gurley owners should be thrilled by the fact they are saving his legs for our fantasy playoffs. Haha mcVay! Finally a coach who appreciates us fantasy geeks!!! Hurrah!!
Assuming Gurley owners even made it to the playoffs.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:38 am

Goddard wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:50 am
MrUbuto wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:51 pm Gurley owners should be thrilled by the fact they are saving his legs for our fantasy playoffs. Haha mcVay! Finally a coach who appreciates us fantasy geeks!!! Hurrah!!
If was your RB1 yea you're probably out. But if he was your RB1 you probably missed the playoffs or got bounced early and got a good draft pick haha
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:34 am

MrUbuto wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:38 am
If was your RB1 yea you're probably out. But if he was your RB1 you probably missed the playoffs or got bounced early and got a good draft pick haha
If your format is 12 team PPR and 6 teams make the playoffs there's a pretty good chance you still made the playoffs with Gurley, even if you thought he'd be your RB1. He has scored more points this season than 6 RBs who had top 15 ADP this August (Mixon, Barkley, Conner, Gordon, DJ, and KJ). He also only scored 8 points less than Bell and Jacobs and 15 points less than Kamara. Also Hunt realistically could have been your RB1 prior to his suspension last season. Plenty of people had similar or worse situations with possible RB1s on their rosters. Gurley is still RB14 on the season...that's definitely not a season killer unless the rest of your roster is bad. The 6th place team in most leagues is typically not that strong.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:22 am

Hasn't been pretty, but he's officially a RB1.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:47 am

I'm in 2 title games, I own him in both and he's a weekly starter for me. Those are the only 2 leagues I own him.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:39 am

No way do I want any part of this dude... He's been on a snap count all year, his team must win every game to have a shot at the playoffs they sold the farm for, he should be fairly fresh.. And all he can muster is 14 touches, a large part of that at the end of the game? He is not an RB1, this week's point total is propped up by 2 TDs. Him and the rams are some for the next few years.. have fun with those contacts Mr McVay
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

wingnutty
Starter
Starter

Postby wingnutty » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:12 am

Happy to have him as a backend RB1 on my rosters. His floor is solid and has been all year. Lacks a high ceiling but that’s ok. Nuk is on a lot of the same rosters and he’s been pretty similar, although with a higher ceiling.

I’ll happily ride gurley for a few more years of solid workhorse production. The knee is a bit overblown.

I’d rather be holding gurley than Kamara or Aaron Jones.

khaos337
Role Player
Role Player

Postby khaos337 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:31 am

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:47 am
I'm in 2 title games, I own him in both and he's a weekly starter for me. Those are the only 2 leagues I own him.
4 title games for me, 2 with Gurley as well.
T1

10 Team, .5 PPR, 2QB

'19 Champs

QB: Jackson, Kyler, Ben, Winston, McCoy
RB: Fournette, Gurley, Conner, Davis, Michel, Roundtree, Ty'Son, Tony Jones, Freeman. Wilson, Bolden, Sanders, Sermon
WR: Hill, Ridley, M. Williams, Gallup, Parker, Mims, Cephus, B. Edwards, Q. Watkins, Sharpe, C. Wilson, P. Williams
TE: Andrews, Njoku, Everette
K: Bass
Def/ST: NE ARI

T2

10 Team, .5 PPR, Devy, IDP, SF

QB: Mahomes, Wilson, Allen, Bridgewater, Rudolph, Rosen, Haskins, Mariota
RB: Jacobs, Sanders, J. Taylor, Singletary, Guice, Hines, Samuels, Gaskin, Perine, Scott
WR: M. Thomas, AJ Brown, Dionte, C. Samuel, Sutton, D. Samuel, Boykin, Campbell, P. Williams
TE: Hockenson, Herndon, Goedert, Hurst, Fant, Dissly, Thomas
K: Bailey
DL: Hunter, Garrett, Young, A Smith, Golden
LB: Bush, D. Jones, R. Smith, Alexander, Bush, Landry
DB: Peppers, Savage, Thornhill, Simmons, Fuller
TAXI: Stidham, Grier, Hurd, Irv Smith, Sternberger, Isabella, Cephus, J. Chase, Hubbard, Bateman

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:36 am

khaos337 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:31 am
bjd5211 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:47 am

4 title games for me, 2 with Gurley as well.
Congrats