Playoff Pain & Alternative Playoff Structures

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Re: Playoff Pain & Alternative Playoff Structures

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:34 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:57 am
Phaded wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:16 pm I think people sometimes try too hard to remove luck out of fantasy football when the entire premise is largely based on luck.
Exactly.

It sucks losing to the dreaded Jameis Winston-Breshad Perriman stack, but that's fantasy football. If you play it long enough, you'll always have crazy stories of how you won or lost. If the best paper team won every season, it wouldn't be the big industry it's become. The allure is that anyone can play and anyone can win.
^This

I've played in all-play leagues and while they were probably the best at reducing luck, they were also the most boring.

To each their own.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:25 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:34 am I've played in all-play leagues and while they were probably the best at reducing luck, they were also the most boring.
Agree.

Dibbles
MVP
MVP

Postby Dibbles » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:47 pm

Great stuff here, many thanks for feedback everyone.

Straycatz2
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Straycatz2 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:21 pm

Someone quit mid-season (week 8 maybe?) because he hated his team so we had to scramble and find another person to take over the team. The buyin already paid for by previous owner.

This team has a really good chance at winning 3rd place and almost made it into the championship. I would have loved it if he actually won it all so I could laugh at the guy that quit mid season.

The uncertainty by far makes it more interesting.

dmac37
Role Player
Role Player

Postby dmac37 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:01 pm

I think victory points with doubleheaders each week does the best job of combining H2H and points scored.
Possible 8 points each week- 2 points per win, 4 victory points for top 4 scoring teams and 2 victory points for next 4 teams in points scored. We still do top 6 teams in victory points go to the playoffs with the top 2 getting a bye with H2H each week.

I would prefer the playoffs to still give the top 2 teams a bye but round 1 the top 2 scoring teams advance then week 15 & 16 champ and runner up are decided by combined total points for the 2 weeks.

I do not subscribe to the theory that FF should emulate real NFL football.
12 Team PPR Scoring:
QB: Purdy, Pickett, Howell, Rodgers
RB: Bijan, Kamara, A. Jones Spears Allgeier, Tucker, Hunt
WR: ARSB, Ridley, Nacua, E. Moore, Hollywood, Addison, Mingo, Mooney,
M. Thomas, Gallup
TE: Hockenson, Ferguson
PK:
DST: Ravens

12 Team Superflex PPR Scoring:
QB: Fields, Tua, Howell, White
RB: J. Taylor, A. Jones, Pierce, Swift , K. Miller, Hunt, Ford,
WR: Pittman, Deebo, Godwin, Ridley, Gabe Davis, E. Moore, Mooney, Toney, Q. Johnson
TE: Ferguson, Okonkwo L. Thomas

captain howdy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby captain howdy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:15 pm

My God people.

You win. You lose.

Sometimes you're lucky. Sometimes they are.

Life isn't fair and neither is fantasy football.

All you can do is put yourself in the best possible position to succeed and let these world class athletes fight your battle.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:42 am

Here’s the thing: the sport of football (be it NFL, college, high school on down) didn’t just settle on this one-and-done “any given Sunday” playoff model because it’s the fairest or most logical method of crowning a champion. It’s completely out of necessity. Football is too brutal a game to play more than once a week for 5-6 months. There’s a reason baseball, basketball and hockey play longer regular seasons with 5x or 10x as many games. There’s a reason they play 7-game series to crown a champion.

Fantasy football isn’t bound by the same physical constraints as real life football. This desire to mimic the structure of real football is misguided. If your only goal is to gamble and talk sh-t with your buddies, then by all means, play a 13-game regular season and a standard playoff bracket. But if you actually want to compete at a higher level and see sustained success rewarded more frequently, there are tons of ways to tweak this game to make it less fluky and more skill based. The only limits are your imagination and your willingness to track some basic stuff offline that most platforms aren’t capable of officially tracking.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:46 am

captain howdy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:15 pm My God people. You win. You lose.

Sometimes you're lucky. Sometimes they are. Life isn't fair and neither is fantasy football.
:clap: I will co-sign on this 100%
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd